Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Item Creation/Customization (robes, sabers, etc.)

Page: 1 of 1
 RobQel-Droma
10-03-2005, 12:52 PM
I just decided to post something (maybe for the sake of just posting) to see what people wanted to be customizable. And I mean actually customizable, not just upgradeable, like designing your own robes (color, look, armor) and ranged weapons, and some other stuff. I think it would be cool if you can gather a certain amount of parts (the parts could be like metal, cloth) and other construction stuff that you could use to manafacture your own whatever and give it a name, color, and stats (to a certain point, as I am talking about reasonable stats for a just created weapon or armor, not super stats). And, please post other thoughts about maybe other things I didn't mention along this line.
 MdKnightR
10-03-2005, 1:33 PM
I think that it would be way cool to do sabers and robes. Synthetic crystals are cool too. I even created some "synthetic" crystals for the Heart of the Force Sabers that I just released, so I would love to see such things in game. However, I fear that it may be a bit huge to include such customization in a game. That is what we modders are for. ;)
 fresnosmokey02
10-03-2005, 1:38 PM
I already do most of this stuff.
 chaleur
10-03-2005, 3:14 PM
This is probably not what you meant, but it's how I would use customisations...

I am embarassed to admit it, but I always picked armour based on how it looked on the characters. Usually, it wasn't the best choice. And those head interface visor things that covered the character's face got boxed straight-off, unless they were for security or demolitions, in which case I'd keep them around for single-use items. It also took me a long time to be willing to take HK-47 and T3-M4 out, 'cause they didn't have any sort of expressions or anything in the animations. I actually only really learned to like 'em in KotOR II, and then I came back and learned to appreciate 'em in KotOR I.

Am I the only person who did these kinda things? Probably....

Yeah, I guess like LegoRevan in http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=153245), I am looking for an RPG version of The Sims, set in the KotOR universe. I'd like to be able to design my own armour in Maya (or something), export it as a .OBJ and .MTL (or whatever format), import it into my own design (with stats built up and a price depending on those stats...something like Daggerfall/Morrowind's system for building armour would kick butt).

Yeah, I'm dreaming. Instead, I'll go back and play with my KotOR Sims some more. I think SimBastila is still picking fights with SimMira. Those two do NOT get on AT ALL.
 Vladimir-Vlada
10-03-2005, 5:20 PM
Everything mentioned. :D
 RedHawke
10-04-2005, 1:36 AM
I do agree that something should be done to allow some extra customization, beyond the current upgrade system in TSL... while playing TSL on the XBox I constantly felt trapped using items that I hated the textures on simply because of their bonuses.

Possibly they could add a section to the Workbench so that if you find a robe or armor you like, you could then switch the properties to something else, this would give a mountain of customization possibilities, and yet require only some new scripting calls to accomplish. Most importantly it wouldn't majorly imbalance the game.

EXAMPLE: I love the stats on the Ossus Keepers Robe, but I hate the texture, so you could take an Ossus Keepers Robe and say a Jedi Knight or Dark Jedi Knight Robe and transfer the Ossus Keepers Robe stats to the other robe, while you would destroy the Ossus Robe in the process in the end you would have a Jedi Knight or Dark Jedi Knight Robe with the better Ossus Keeper Robe stats, name, and description. You could do the same with any of the other equipment.

But the transfers would only be possible between like equipment items, so a robe couldn't have it's bonuses transfered to armor, and a Blaster would not transfer to a disruptor, etc.

While it isn't really designing things from scratch, it would allow you to stick with a particular look throughout the game, just upgrading your armor or robe, etc. with ones with better bonuses you find as you proceed.

Just my 2 cents! :D
 Prime
10-04-2005, 9:35 AM
I kind of think three is too much customization in the game as it is now...
 fresnosmokey02
10-04-2005, 9:36 AM
RedHawke's idea would be a good one for console users, but this is why the PC version(s) are better. I am not "stuck" with anything. Modding has become part of the game(s). Almost everything I use or look at in the game now is altered in some way, either skins or attributes or both. I spend more time altering stuff than I do playing the game.
 RedHawke
10-05-2005, 12:42 AM
RedHawke's idea would be a good one for console users, but this is why the PC version(s) are better.
FNM, I know you are new around here, but try to not start any Console vs. PC debates as they always end... badly.

Not everyone has an option to use a PC to play these games... so while yes my idea was one from my XBox playthroughs, it could also be convienient for PC users. :D
 Jackel
10-05-2005, 1:36 AM
I wouldnt mind being able to put layers of clothing/armour on to build up my character.

You could start with a body suit that covers you from leg to neck, you would put on different boots , vest, inner robe (shirt kinda thing) then an outer robe layer.

Each bit could be set up like medium, heavy and light armoured vests, or cloth types for jedi etc.
 chaleur
10-05-2005, 5:08 AM
Possibly they could add a section to the Workbench so that if you find a robe or armor you like, you could then switch the properties to something else, this would give a mountain of customization possibilities, and yet require only some new scripting calls to accomplish.

One problem with this is that the visual might not necessarily be appropriate for the new item. To take this to an extreme: your 10/+2 heavy armour that looks like a dark jedi master robe. There is a distinct visual difference between some of the light armours and some of the heavy ones, and if you want to be a purist, you might not want to let someone take the Republic Mod Armour that looks so cute on Carth (ahem..whistles innocently), and turn it into 8/+3 Medium armour. It just doesn't look the part.
 RedHawke
10-06-2005, 12:38 AM
One problem with this is that the visual might not necessarily be appropriate for the new item. To take this to an extreme: your 10/+2 heavy armour that looks like a dark jedi master robe. There is a distinct visual difference between some of the light armours and some of the heavy ones, and if you want to be a purist, you might not want to let someone take the Republic Mod Armour that looks so cute on Carth (ahem..whistles innocently), and turn it into 8/+3 Medium armour. It just doesn't look the part.
Then please re-read my post again... as you are all mixed up...

But the transfers would only be possible between like equipment items, so a robe couldn't have it's bonuses transfered to armor, and a Blaster would not transfer to a disruptor, etc.

This addresses what you are talking about! Silly chaleur! :roleyess:

:D
 chaleur
10-06-2005, 4:08 AM
This addresses what you are talking about! Silly chaleur!

Kindasortaforsure, and I do really like your idea, dinna get me wrong! But I was bein' extreme for a reason. Do you think it'd be okay to to transfer light armour to heavy armour? Or just heavy armour to heavy armour? Or would some light armour graphics be okay as heavy armour, while others would not?

And what if it's a unique item -- like "RedHawke's Really Cool Jedi Mashing Armour of Doom", that's supposed to have a unique appearance. Supposing it has a nice stylised "RHRCJMAoD" emblazoned on the chest, too. Is it sensible to set things up such that you could use this design for everyone in the party, where each person has armour with different properties?

Well, actually, that might be kinda fun. I'd have fun playing a DS character who insisted that my party members were all in uniform. But it might not be appropriate in all cases, and the designers might want to design unique elements.

I guess what I was kinda getting at, in my own head at least, is that it might have to be done on a per-item basis. This item can be medium-heavy armour. That item can be light-heavy. This third item can never be duplicated. It wouldn't be that hard, but it'd take some tweaking.
Page: 1 of 1