Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Increase Blaster power in KOTOR1

Page: 1 of 1
 Demonic Spoon
09-28-2005, 4:25 PM
Something I noticed in KOTOR 1 was that, compared to melee weapons, blasters are next to useless. They don't do enough damage, and melee weapons do too much. A character shouldn't be able to charge up to an enemy who is shooting him with a blaster and begin wailing on him with a sword and win. Could someone mod it so that general blaster power is increased and general melee damage is decreased?
 Shrub91
09-28-2005, 5:07 PM
Go download one of Redhawke's mods.
:D
 Demonic Spoon
09-28-2005, 5:43 PM
Uhh, I looked through his mods. Nothing like what I am asking for...
 Darkkender
09-28-2005, 7:03 PM
We do have a variety of mods at pcgamemods in the weapons section that do this however. sometimes you have to download multiples untill you find one that makes you happy.

On a Technical Combat note blasters are about as accurate as a slugthrower projectile weapon however they tend to have a wider spread more like a shotgun when dispersing there energy. If you are being attacked by a person with poor dexterity there accuracy is going to suck anyways. However a Melee weapon tends to be alot more deadly due to the power in the swing behind it and the close proximity.
 stoffe
09-28-2005, 7:30 PM
Something I noticed in KOTOR 1 was that, compared to melee weapons, blasters are next to useless. They don't do enough damage, and melee weapons do too much. A character shouldn't be able to charge up to an enemy who is shooting him with a blaster and begin wailing on him with a sword and win. Could someone mod it so that general blaster power is increased and general melee damage is decreased?

You can do this yourself fairly easy if you have KotorTool to suit your own taste for weapon balance. With KotorTool, open the file Kotor I --> BIFs --> 2da.bif --> baseitems.2da.

Inside baseitems.2da, find the rows for blasters. If you look in the label column it should not be too hard to figure out which rows you need to change, since those text labels are fairly descriptive.

On those rows, find the columns named numdice and dietoroll. Those two columns together determine the base damage value of all blaster weapons of the type defined by that line.

For example, Vibroswords (line 3) have numdice set to 2 and dietoroll set to 6 normally. This means they have a damage range of 2d6 (random damage gained by rolling two six sided dice and summing up the dots), i.e. they can do 2-12 damage.

Lower the values for all lines representing swords and increase them for all lines representing blasters, then save your modified baseitems.2da file in the game's override folder.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
09-28-2005, 7:54 PM
Or edit the *.uti with KT.
 stoffe
09-28-2005, 8:06 PM
Or edit the *.uti with KT.

You can't edit the weapon base damage in the item template, only add bonus damage via properties. And I would think it's a whole lot easier to edit a few lines in one file rather than adding damage bonus or damage penalty properties to hundreds of item templates. :)
 Darth333
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
There a nice mod made by beancounter that fixes the blaster damage: http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/6906.html)

It's also included in the aiofpm mod: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/7313.html)
Page: 1 of 1