Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Vault Pictures

Page: 1 of 1
 Klia
09-27-2005, 5:25 PM
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has uploaded or can upload the pictures for Boyd's vaults. Believe it or not I'm doing an English project and I need his vaults to prove how DoubleFine has contriubted to the creative aspect of video games.

Thank you.

I may upload the report for you all and tell you what I got on it.

If you can upload them please post them here by Sunday. (Also tell me if you know any places with the vaults.)
 TyraaRane
09-27-2005, 5:34 PM
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone has uploaded or can upload the pictures for Boyd's vaults. Believe it or not I'm doing an English project and I need his vaults to prove how DoubleFine has contriubted to the creative aspect of video games.

Thank you.

I may upload the report for you all and tell you what I got on it.

If you can upload them please post them here by Sunday. (Also tell me if you know any places with the vaults.)

You can extract them yourself with the Psychonauts Explorer (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149413) if you have the XBox or PC version of the game...I'm not on my home computer right now, so I can't give you exact directions, but I do know that they're lurking in the DDS (image) files, and the new version of the Explorer lets you preview the images (so you don't have to dump the whole folder) and save them as JPEGs, GIFs, etc.

If you have the PS2 version of the game, though, let me know and I'll find and upload the vaults for you--I don't think there's a version of the Explorer that's PS2 compatible yet.
 Klia
09-27-2005, 6:27 PM
Thank you, I have the Xbox so this should work. If I find that there are any problems then I'll just come back here.

Thank you, I'll get to work on it right away.
 Klia
09-27-2005, 6:30 PM
Alright...I have come across a problem. my Xbox does not have the required modchip to transfer this onto my PC.
 Smon
09-27-2005, 7:16 PM
Hm... I have the PS2 version... so I can't check, but did you try putting the disc in a DVD drive?
 DarthAve
09-27-2005, 7:41 PM
why would you put a game in a DVD drive? Can u watch it???
 Klia
09-27-2005, 9:17 PM
Hm... I have the PS2 version... so I can't check, but did you try putting the disc in a DVD drive?

No, I haven't tried that. If I did put it into a DVD drive what would I have to do?

Let it be known that I have no recording button or recording option on my television. That's why I am not technologically savy at all.

Or I never bothered to learn.
 Smon
09-27-2005, 9:25 PM
Sorry, I just figured since the Xbox and PS2 use DVD discs and not CD discs I thought just that drive would work and you could maybe use PNExplorer with that... but like Klia I'm not techno savvy, I'm just shooting ideas into the wind.
 DarthAve
09-27-2005, 9:43 PM
Wow, you love to improvise Smon, don't you?
 Klia
09-28-2005, 4:19 PM
If I can't get the vault pictures..I'm perfectly ok with that. I'll take some concept art and show that instead.

Thank you all for your help and ideas. I'll still post up my report about how Psychonauts could save America...yes I do live in America I don't want to get into arguements about it.

The rest of the day I'll be working on it.
 HappyCabbit
09-29-2005, 5:49 PM
Actually, I can upload the images for you, if you haven't already extracted them yourself or anything. Well, if you would like me too, I'd be able to do it Friday [tomorrow] afternoon.
 Klia
10-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Actually, I can upload the images for you, if you haven't already extracted them yourself or anything. Well, if you would like me too, I'd be able to do it Friday [tomorrow] afternoon.

Damn..I wish I had seen that earlier. Are you still able to do this? I'll also send a PM to you about this.
 Klia
10-02-2005, 10:04 AM
I promised I would show you all my report. Well, I plan to revise this extensively but here is my semi-rough draft of this project. I based it only on Grim Fandango and Psychonauts since I was allowed only four pages double spaced.

Imagine my suprise when I had four pages single spaced.

Tim Schafer

Creativity is a frail thing that is easily stifled during its premature stages in a society like ours. The media of video games has felt that restrain a little after the 1980’s. Before the 80’s, when video games were a developing form of media, creativity abounded. Through these games could a person could control an avatar of themselves, and explore worlds from the minds of the creator. Every idea was new as developers tried to innovate and manipulate the media. However, as the years went by, many developers did not feel the need to reinvent the industry anymore and opted towards churning out generic title after generic title.

A franchise, such as Dungeons and Dragons was at first an amazing concept. The game consisted of guiding a character through a fantasy realm setting. The character would level up as time went on and would become even more fantastical. To level up, a player would destroy monsters of sizes that varied with level. However, as time went on, this franchise established formulas on how to make a successful video game. Consequently, this caused Dungeons and Dragons to only improve graphically and with slight tweaks. Other developers saw the success the franchise was making and made knock-offs using this formula. From this lack of inventiveness and connection with the player, the media was seen as immature and not able to carry the emotional weight, development, sophistication, or creativity that other developed types, such as movies, carried. It was not until designers such as Tim Schafer began developing video games did this view change.

Through one of his most innovative titles did Tim Schafer prove that video games had something to share. By thinking about what had not been done instead of thinking about what had been done that worked, did he create engaging experiences that continues to sell to this day. The game in question is Grim Fandango, which was based on the Mexican holiday the “Day of the Dead.” Your avatar is Manny Calavera, a skeleton who sells luxury packages to souls as they make their way to the eternal rest. This style of gaming was unique artistically and emotionally, being rooted in both reality and fiction. In this highly polished and sophisticated game was creativity reintroduced into an enterprise where creativity can be looked down upon or punished. Compared to other forms of media, like television programs or cinema, where “action titles” are envisioned as explosions, violence and nothing else, video games are another reality in which to express our thoughts and emotions to share with others. By asking one dedicated fan of Grim Fandango of their view, was the connection from developer to gamer clearly shown and the impact of good storytelling fully realized, “After playing Grim Fandango I got interested in PC gaming...I started expecting bigger and better stories from games and I now have a dislike for [generic] action sequences.” (VampireNoami)

By promoting creative thoughts can video games, as Tim Schafer knows, benefit society. Creative thinking can prevent many tragedies of our time. One article (Decentralized Intelligence) questions this stifling of creativity.

“The author touches on a very important point, just what exactly is the nature of this ‘intelligence’ we so desire? To some, intelligence is a ‘product’ that is produced for ‘consumers’ along the lines of manufacturing and industry. To others, it is a creative endeavor much more like an art that relies on the creativity and talent of individuals -- rather than any formal system of organization…

Did US intelligence ‘lack imagination’ prior to 9-11? To a certain extent, yes. Does it still lack it? Yes. And, as the author states, adding more controls and layers will only make it worse. There is a key catch, however. Most politicians (and generals/admirals) want something they call *actionable* intelligence. They want ‘reports’ that virtually demand them to take some course of action, and can be used as justification/CYA if things go wrong. They fear this ‘creative nonsense’ just as many corporate bosses instinctively fear/distrust ‘visionaries’ and ‘artsy types.’ "

With his next game, Psychonauts, Schafer continues to prove that there is room for games like his. Ones that challenge players to forget all they have learned about this world and learn the mechanics of a new world. Psychonauts is the adventure of one circus boy, who runs away from home to train as a Psychonaut, a person who adventures into the very minds of others. Along the way he jumps into bizarre brains and sorts out problems that plague others. As with Grim Fandango, Schafer called upon his knowledge of life around us, our minds. Pulling this unique idea from life he created his second masterpiece that grew upon his dedicated fan base. Now the gaming world had to take an even harder glance at the community’s obsession of sticking to the book. Developers that stick to formulas are finding they are stifling what makes their career so wonderful. Newcomers into the career are finding that businesses aren’t as quick anymore to turn down a supposedly “strange” idea. Psychonauts has proven that there is a market for fresh and original ideas and that video games can and should be used as a form.

Tim Schafer has proven time and time again that there is more than meets the eye to what games can be. Through his creative genius is he able to create engaging and complex worlds that people can relate to no matter how bizarre they can be. His influence has showed us that his profession can influence how we view other ideas as shown in VampireNoami’s quote. He has even challenged others to think and process the world around us with a creative approach, one that can possibly affect the way we think about the gaming and real world.
 Purple Squid
10-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Oh, dang. Klia, that is... wow. Just wow.
 Klia
10-02-2005, 11:10 AM
I have to work on it more.

Hey Purple Squid, while you are here can I ask you

What enticed you to buy this game.
What drew you into it.
Has your view on video games changed or stayed the same after playing this?
Additional thoughts, comments?

I'll put you into the Works Cited page...
 HappyCabbit
10-02-2005, 1:37 PM
T_T Sorry I ended up NOT being able to upload the pictures Friday. O_o I was sure I was going to be able to do it before my high school's football game [which I am forced to go to though I don't particularly care for the sport...-_-] but my computer was behaving badly. I couldn't yesterday either because of other obligations. And my comp was still acting strangely [or it may have just been my internet connection] earlier this morning, but NOW it seems to be working fine. ^_^'

But anyway, I'm in the process of uploading them now.
 HappyCabbit
10-02-2005, 1:56 PM
So...I made my photobucket album public and uploaded Boyd's vault images.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v207/HappyCabbit/)

I uploaded them all at the same time, and for whatever reason, the thumbnails appear in reverse order. But there they are. ^^' Sorry I wasn't able to do it sooner, like when I said I would. X_x
 Klia
10-02-2005, 2:34 PM
So...I made my photobucket album public and uploaded Boyd's vault images.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v207/HappyCabbit/)

I uploaded them all at the same time, and for whatever reason, the thumbnails appear in reverse order. But there they are. ^^' Sorry I wasn't able to do it sooner, like when I said I would. X_x

OMG! I FREAKIN LOVE YOU. Holy crap, I can hardly think but I need to think for my project.

Oh, I can't wait to see the faces of my classmates when I explain this to them.
 Purple Squid
10-03-2005, 4:08 PM
I have to work on it more.

Hey Purple Squid, while you are here can I ask you

What enticed you to buy this game.
What drew you into it.
Has your view on video games changed or stayed the same after playing this?
Additional thoughts, comments?

I'll put you into the Works Cited page...

Hm.

1. I'm going to tell the truth. The cover art. It was very interesting, and it didn't have an angry looking anime boy on the cover, so I assumed it would be an unique game.

2. Drew me into it? Well... everything. It was just so DIFFERENT from all of the other games I've played, and it seemed like the creators put a lot of heart into it and genuinely cared about it, making everything as perfect as possible.

3. Yes. I've come to expect a more interesting story from a game, and if it doesn't deliver I'm let down. I want a game to be original, even if it doesn't sell great.

4. This game has actually changed the way I think about things, actually. Instead of looking at just my side of the problem, I'll try to see it from the other person's point of view... As it turns out, everyone has issues.

(A question. A works cited page is...?) Xb
 Klia
10-03-2005, 4:46 PM
A works cited page is sources of information you mentioned in your paper.

Awesome Purple Squid. I espically love the last comment. However....I already did my project today. First period, fifth project.

Teacher: Alright Klia you're up.
Me: *Thinking* Oh god...holy crap, I'm going to forget. Ahh, dropped the papers. *Goes up to powerpoint presentation.*

Tim Schafer reinvented the gaming industry (Bored faces everywhere..I still continue.) by challenging gamers to think differently about the world around them

The most famous video game franchise, Dungeons and Dragons.

Them: (reading their faces) OMGNERDRADAR GOING OFF. Weewooweewoo

Me: (strangely gaining confidence) This is Grim Fandango. It was cool. This person said so. Their name is VampireNoami.

(Strangely people are blushing as if they are giving the presentation. I feel more confident obviously sucking out the life juice from them.)

Me: (Pulls out Boyd Powerpoint. I hear one guy next to me go What the fuhhh...) Psychonauts was unique and allowed the player to integrate themselves as much as they wanted to into the game instead of watching long cutscenes.

(Boyd is now lighting the store on fire and a few people in the back gasp. I laugh on the inside)

Me: Tim Schafer has changed the way society sees video games and the way around them.

My friend: (raises hand)

Me: Yes

My Friend: So that presentation was about a guy who lit a fish on fire could have stopped national disasters because it made people think differently?

Me: Umm...yeah!
 Purple Squid
10-03-2005, 4:57 PM
Haha. I wish I was in your class--I could have cheered you on!

I would NEVER be able to do something like that. Ergh. I wish I could, though. I'm glad you could suck life juices. :3 That's always good. Did you actually call her VampireNaomi? Hee.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I would've answered faster. Xd
 Klia
10-03-2005, 6:14 PM
Haha. I wish I was in your class--I could have cheered you on!

I would NEVER be able to do something like that. Ergh. I wish I could, though. I'm glad you could suck life juices. :3 That's always good. Did you actually call her VampireNaomi? Hee.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I would've answered faster. Xd

I barely check this out. I'm slow with these things.

A lot of people have been saying that they could never do things like that and it starts to make me nervous. What is it that makes it so bad? But then I remember Napolean was able to take over the world. He had to be in front of a ton of people. As well as Martin King Jr. and so on. My project is nothing.

I did call her VampireNoami. I had to cite the source, can't make it sound like I was taking the credit.
 Purple Squid
10-03-2005, 8:06 PM
Well, I wouldn't do that because I'm afraid of crowds.
 Purple Squid
10-14-2005, 6:16 PM
My Friend: So that presentation was about a guy who lit a fish on fire could have stopped national disasters because it made people think differently?

This didn't happen. No. It couldn't have happened.

FISH?
 Klia
10-18-2005, 8:21 PM
I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread but does anyone have Oleander's vaults?
 Purple Squid
10-18-2005, 8:22 PM

I'll see what I can do. Any special reason?

EDIT: Ahh, sorry. My ripper is defective. I think it may be infected or something... or old.
 TyraaRane
10-18-2005, 8:32 PM

I can't rip them right now, but I'll get to it and put up a zip file or something later tonight.
 Klia
10-18-2005, 8:35 PM
I can't rip them right now, but I'll get to it and put up a zip file or something later tonight.

Aww awesome. I feel bad for making you all do the dirty work.

What is the occassion you ask Purple Squid? I'm collecting some concept art files to look back onto and to create little pictures out of.

Also, I would like to familirize myself with the art style of Psychonauts.
 Purple Squid
10-18-2005, 8:38 PM
Aww awesome. I feel bad for making you all do the dirty work.

What is the occassion you ask Purple Squid? I'm collecting some concept art files to look back onto and to create little pictures out of.

Also, I would like to familirize myself with the art style of Psychonauts.

Eh, no reason. It's just that you do some really cool stuff when you ask for something.

Klia- I need a gum wrapper.
Slave- *willingly does so*
Klia- Aha! A clean burning perpetual motion device!
 Klia
10-18-2005, 8:40 PM
Eh, no reason. It's just that you do some really cool stuff when you ask for something.

Klia- I need a gum wrapper.
Slave- *willingly does so*
Klia- Aha! A clean burning perpetual motion device!

SIG! Because it made me laugh like a maniac.
 Purple Squid
10-18-2005, 8:42 PM
SIG! Because it made me laugh like a maniac.

SCORE TIMES PI!
 TyraaRane
10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Okay, question--did you want the Meat Circus vault, the Basic Braining vaults, or all three?
 Klia
10-19-2005, 6:22 PM
Okay, question--did you want the Meat Circus vault, the Basic Braining vaults, or all three?

The Meat Circus and Oleander's second vault that you come across. Is it Oleander's defeat? I believe it is.

If you can only do one then the Meat Circus.

But I know that I will probably ask for more later. If you could do all three (without any complications or any extra work) then that would be great.
 DarthAve
10-19-2005, 7:54 PM
Could you do Sasha's vaults? His face in the second one is completely planner-worthy.
 TyraaRane
10-19-2005, 8:09 PM
The Meat Circus and Oleander's second vault that you come across. Is it Oleander's defeat? I believe it is.

If you can only do one then the Meat Circus.

But I know that I will probably ask for more later. If you could do all three (without any complications or any extra work) then that would be great.

Seriously, it's no trouble at all--I love poking through the game files, and the hardest part is transferring it from one computer to the other (stupid non-wireless internet). It's entirely painless and took me three minutes, tops.

Anyway, I saved all three vaults as JPEG files--the title cards are missing, so they're all in their own folders within the zip file to avoid confusion. Link is here (http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3R7AJGFHFQZXA2YEY33QMI33C1), but be aware that it'll expire in 25 downloads / 7 days, whichever comes first.

Darth, I'd upload Sasha's vault for you, but I think shinzuku already did--check the Sasha/Milla thread.
 Klia
10-19-2005, 8:19 PM
Thank you TyraaRane. I'm glad you enjoy it otherwise my guilt level would be rising.

I'm going to get to work on putting these on photobucket.
 Paranoidish
10-19-2005, 8:21 PM
I was wondering...did anyone upload Fred's vault? I would like to make a super cool avatar of it.
 Ray_the_psychic
10-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Fred's. are. mine. back. off.
Page: 1 of 1