Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Loading bar stuck

Page: 1 of 1
 muki100
09-25-2005, 12:50 PM
KOTOR 2, the map when Goto's ship captures the Ebon Hawk and i must rescue The Dude, the loading bar just refuses to go when it's almost finished and then the game crashes with the microsoft error message. I tried doing it from an ealier save yet it still happens. I beleive I applied a wrong patch on the game earlier and havent patched since, so maybe thats causing it and i might take the loooong reinstall option? I tried messing with the settings too nothing happened.
Specs:
2 ghz Celeron, 256 RAM, Geforce fx 5200, there is enough space for windows i beleive, it sometimes fills in 2 gigabytes pagefile (!) isnt that enough? Seemse a little weird to me. Anyone can help?
 stingerhs
09-25-2005, 10:28 PM
i can suggest a couple of things. first, get more RAM. 256MB is barely enough to run WinXP, much less run games with XP running, especially a game that is as memory hungry as Kotor2.

and if you think you messed up the game installation, just re-install the game. to do so, open up 'My Computer' while the play disk is in your CD drive. then right-click on the CD drive and select 'Explore' from the list. when it opens, just look for a file called 'setup.exe' and double-click on it. this should startup the installer program, allowing you to re-install the game. and don't worry about your game saves: they shouldn't be affected since the old files are just being over-written. this should give you a fresh install and allow you to download and install the latest patch.

hope that helps. :)
 muki100
09-26-2005, 8:48 AM
I reinstalled it and still have the problem. I checked the swapfile and i dont beleive it is the problem, however the windows error says the error happened in swkotor2.exe o.O
The patch doesnt mention this problem so i guess it wouldnt do much good if i messed with it again.
Could it be that i progressed in a wrong way of the game ( i went to nar shaddaa then did all other planets then came back to finish business) ?
Or a giant swapfile would do any good if that is the problem?
Now i will try the Dark Side progress to see if it still happens. Time to be evil to get the good sorted out :)
 ChAiNz.2da
09-26-2005, 9:03 AM
I doubt the pagefile would be a problem.. though I'd suggest lowering it to be honest... your page/swap file should only be about 1-1/2 to 2X the amount of RAM you have installed. Just a general rule-of-thumb :)

Do you know how to manually set your page file? Letting Windows manage it for you is a terrible resource waster as it's almost constantly writing back and forth...

Set your minimum and maximum setting to the same amount (1-1/2 to 2X your RAM) and restart your system when it prompts you. Let us know if you're not sure how to do it :)

---------------

Also, do you have any mods installed that either adjusts G0T0's ship/area in any way or cutscenes?
 muki100
09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
I dont have any mods installed nor patch ( it's incompatible here) also the patch doesnt say it fixes this problem.
Sure thing i can set the page file.
But what the heck could be it's problem? I even tried the reinstall and it didnt solve it. I dont know if its out of memory, because i cant monitor my hard drives since kotor 2 is a full screen app. I even tried loading on low texture settings too so i doubt it cant handle itself.
 Captain_H
09-27-2005, 12:57 AM
i can suggest a couple of things. first, get more RAM. 256MB is barely enough to run WinXP, much less run games with XP running, especially a game that is as memory hungry as Kotor2.

and if you think you messed up the game installation, just re-install the game. to do so, open up 'My Computer' while the play disk is in your CD drive. then right-click on the CD drive and select 'Explore' from the list. when it opens, just look for a file called 'setup.exe' and double-click on it. this should startup the installer program, allowing you to re-install the game. and don't worry about your game saves: they shouldn't be affected since the old files are just being over-written. this should give you a fresh install and allow you to download and install the latest patch.

He is right, get more RAM.
 muki100
09-28-2005, 8:56 AM
Case solved, had to load an even earlier save.

A question before you close the thread:
what should i get? 128 or maybe 256mb RAM would do any good, or i should get an intel pentium ( or amd if that is better) for it's speed and cache.
Again i have a 2 ghz celeron
And thanks to all who helped :)
 stingerhs
09-29-2005, 12:43 AM
don't you just love wierd bugs?? :xp:

anyways, i do have a couple of suggestions reguarding system upgrades. first is the processor. in the 'Need For Speed on Your Computer' sticky at the top, i have a link to a free program called "PC Wizard 2005". this program is a great way to see if you can just get a P4 processor without having to upgrade your motherboard.

once you have 'PC Wizard 2005' installed, go ahead and run it. after it loads, click on the icon on the left that looks like a black computer chip (if you hover the mouse pointer over the icon, a tooltip will pop up and call it "Processor"). in the new menu on the right screen, click on the 'Processor' option. in the lower window, a ton of info should now appear. in that window, scroll all the way down. the very last topic should be 'Mainboard Upgradebility', and the very first thing underneath that should be 'Socket/Slot:' with the socket type in blue over on the right. WRITE THE SOCKET TYPE DOWN SO YOU DON'T FORGET IT!!

now, the easiest way that i know to check to see what kind of upgrade you can get for your processor would be to go over to www.newegg.com). once at the site, look over on your left for a menu called 'Quick Links', and then find the 'CPU/Processor' link. at the very top, there should be a section labeled 'Search' with a lot of little scroll down menus. find the scroll down menu labeled 'Socket Type' and then select your socket type from the list. then click the 'Search' button at the bottom. this should open up a window that'll give you just about all the processors available for your motherboard.

as for memory, if you have Windows XP installed, you should always go for as much RAM as possible. in your case, i'd recommend either a 256 MB or 512 MB stick.

Page: 1 of 1