Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

FAQ for EaW answered ENJOY!

Page: 1 of 1
 Jmaster3265
09-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Disclaimer : The EAW FAQ v1.2 is an unofficial EAW FAQ and it was made by fans in an effort to help the community and to avoid questions been asked again and again on the LEC Forums. This FAQ will be up until the official one will be made in the future. This is not an official FAQ and the informations supplied here in this FAQ will not be usable for official PC magazine quotes or other previews. Thank you all.

EAW FAQ v1.2 Main

Will there be mulitplayer? How many players can play?
Yes. There will be a multiplayer. A 2 player civil war, and an 8 player skirmish. Mulitplayer has a choice between Space battles and land battles only.

Is this game story based or create your own story?
You control the plot, and do as u wish. The game has a persistant universe. Any choices u make affect things on a grand scale.

Will this game have missions?
Yes. There will be many missions. However the choice is yours if u wish to do them.

How many factions will be in the game?
Two. The rebel alliance, and the Galactic Empire. There are also neutrals like species on planets, pirates, and traders.

How many races will there be in the game?
As far as we know, Humans, Jawa's, Wookies (like chewie)

Are there space stations in the game? What will there purpose be?
Yes there will be space stations. Main space stations can do R&D as well as defence for the planet. There are 5 lvl's of space stations. There are also weapon satalites that can be placed in system. Shipyards can also be created, and they are armed, too.

Will there be hero's/unique units? What will there roles be?
Yes hero's will be in the game. Hero's will also have a large impact on gameplay, especially in multiplayer. From what we can gather, some hero's will boost the economy, others can be used on the battle field like Darth Vader. Perhaps they will also boost battle efficancy like a general or admiral. Several hero's have already been confirmed, including Kyle Katarn(ground unit, major hero), and Jek Porkins(fighter, major hero)

Are there trade routes in the game? And if so, how will they effect game play?
Yes, trade routes, and are also the hyperspace lanes used to move fleets. They also increase trade between controled planets, increasing your income.

When will the game be finished? When will the game actually be released?
The game will be finished as planned in late 2005. The game release is planed for spring 2006. This was decided because of many reasons. The prime reason is that LEC wants to polish the future EAW 1.0 version like never before. They will make sure that EAW will have a glorious fate.

Is the Death Star buildable? Can it be destroyed?
Yes it is buildable, and controlable by the player. It stands to reason it can be destroyed.

Will there be a demo?
Yes, a demo is aranged to come out around late December-January.

Will this be similar to Galactic Battlegrounds?
No, the gameplay will be more like Rebellion.

Is EaW like Rebellion 2?
No, this is a completely different game. Rebellion is the kitty, EaW is like a Lion (u can call them both cats, but they are not the same)

What's the point of Dabobah if it's only a swamp like planet?
Ever heard of Yoda?

How do u gain resources if u can't build workers and harvest?
By owning and controling the planet, u automaticly are in control of that planets resourses. Also, on each planet, there are places on the planet, where u can place fixed buildings, the choice being a turbo laser emplacement or a mining facility, that will boost the planet's economy- at the expence of less defences. The choice is yours.

How will fighters do when there are no enemy targets around?
They will most likely stay/return to there hangers/launch bays.

Will units gain experience?
They havn't made it offical, but it has been said they are considering it.

What kinds of units, ships, and weapons will we expect to see in EaW?
The game officially starts out 2 years before Episode 4 A New Hope and goes up just before Episode 6 Return of the Jedi. It can be expected to see things like Acclamators (big ships from episode 2) to Star Destroyers, rebel corevettes, Mon Calamari cruisers, X-wings Y-wings, Stormtroopers, AT-AT's AT-ST's ect.

In the E3 video, the scales look all wrong, and things were happening way to fast.
The EaW that was shown at E3 was spcificly designed for E3. Ships were bigger for viewers, and battles accelerated so the viewer could get a basic showing of everything in the game. If u have seen earlier screenshots, u can see that the scales are far better.

How many planets will there be in EAW?
The original figure was 20 planets and 20 space environments. It is now offically 40. With many months till the game is launched, it is possible more will be added. Fans have long requested 80+ So we will see how it goes.

Is this a 2D or 3D game?
It will be in 3D.

Why do i keep hearing the game is only 2D?
The space battles will use the same engine as the ground ones. Space is structured on 2D lairs or levels. Ships will go up and down normally like in space but they will always try to put themselves on the middle horizontal segment of the 3D space. Fighters will go below and above ships for example.

Will this game be an RTS or RPG?
It is an RTS (real time stratagy) on 3 distint levels. The galactic overview, the space battles, and the Ground battles. There will also be heros and characters for the player to use. And possibly an experience system in units so they may get better after battles.

What happens to units when they are destroyed after a battle?
When it's dead, it's dead. KIA, MIA, nada, nothing, bye bye, gone.

Can I Retreat in battle?
Yes. In fact its a tacticly viable option, that u can use to your advantage in the game.

Can I stop a fleet from retreating?
Yes, if u have an Interdictor ship capable of hindering hyperspace.

Will this game be modable?
The developers tell us that it will be very easy to mod, so expect some nice mods to come out after, and a long replayability of the game.

What will I be able to build? What will i be able to do in the game?
What u can build will depend on what u research. If u wish to get a certain technolgy, there may be a mission u will have to do. If successful, u gain that tech, and can then can build it. If your more enclined to be either offencive or defencive, there are structures and units to suit your gaming style.

What are the system requirements to run EaW?
Unoffically we suspect the requirements to be a Ge Force 3 and a Pentium 3-4 1gig to be minimum requirements.

I wanna build an SSD or at least have it as a hero unit. Will it be in the game?
Although we have no word on that, we do know Home One is in the game. It is a possibility.

Will I be able to orbitally bombard planets?
From the previews we have seen, yes. But to what extent yet, like, how powerful they are, are they accurate, what would they require, has not been made known yet.

Will I be able to use fighters in ground battles?
We know that it is possible to call in bombers from the fleet above (if u have any left) and request a specific target be attacked. Also a shot of x-wings in the atmosphere, and y-wings are usually used for surface attack. However there are the T-21 speeders that will be availible. (like the ones from hoth)

Can hero's be killed. If so, can they be cloned?
Yes, hero's can be killed. However it has been made clear that hero's are very hard to kill, often "star wars hero's luck" is in effect.

I have some cool ideas for this game!
Sorry mate the game is pretty much planed already on paper and way in development. Also developers can't read ideas from fans, but they can see feedback topics if you stick to official LEC materials.

Feed back topics, are the developers asking for them?
Nope, they are done from our fan initiative. Developers have nothing to do with starting them.

EAW Comunity FAQ

Who is developing the game?
The Petroglyph Game Company. New name = old guys = Westwood.

Who is producing the game?
LEC and the man in charge was Brett Tosti , one of the best that LEC had to offer, after him we don't know who will be in charge. We hope he will present him self to the community soon. The other LEC official involved seems to be David Silverstein.

Were I can see the whole community list?
Try here EAW Community

How are the relations between fans and developers & producers?
The relations are excellent, more than you can imagine.

Are the developers looking at forums?
Yes when they have time.

How often is that?
Minimum once a week.

How many of them are looking?
All of them.

Why they don't reply at our questions?
Cause then everyone will ask something and they will end up by not replying which will be rude and they are very nice. They also have allot of work to do.

Who are the developers seen in the open on forums?
There was Sluggo and Delphi (who remains active on PFF) but they only do diplomacy stuff. NEW LEC moderators will become more active.

Do we have other developers in the forums posting as fans?!
Yes but you will never guess who is who and you will never make the difference between them and fans, so try to be nice when posting.

The Fan FAQ 1.2 was made with help from: Cain, Ghostly_Substance, TerranUp16, and Joshinator.
 Jan Gaarni
09-25-2005, 1:53 PM
Nice stuff
 Darth Alec
09-27-2005, 3:13 PM
Dabobah
[/i]

He he.....
 Admiral Sith
09-27-2005, 4:33 PM
How do you know that Home One is in the game, the only Mon Cals ive seen are the MC80(Longer, no wings, darker, thinner), and the MC80b(Shorter, Wings, Fewer Engines, flatter)
 Garbageben
09-28-2005, 12:36 AM
How do you know that Home One is in the game, the only Mon Cals ive seen are the MC80(Longer, no wings, darker, thinner), and the MC80b(Shorter, Wings, Fewer Engines, flatter)
The Home One is the long one with no wings. According to a guy known as little.b or something like that, who has actually played the game at the Leipzig convention, you can only build the winged cruisers and the home one is the long wingless cruiser.
 FroZticles
09-28-2005, 6:47 PM
ROFL at Fan FAQ I could have answered all of those.
 anton_138
09-28-2005, 7:21 PM
I have some cool ideas for this game!
Sorry mate the game is pretty much planed already on paper and way in development. Also developers can't read ideas from fans, but they can see feedback topics if you stick to official LEC materials.

Feed back topics, are the developers asking for them?
Nope, they are done from our fan initiative. Developers have nothing to do with starting them.

that doesn't seem anything like the attitude of the SW:Galaxies devs. i seem to remember them having a big presence here when the game was in development and they listened to a lot of ideas and suggestions from fans.
 Jan Gaarni
09-29-2005, 1:57 AM
that doesn't seem anything like the attitude of the SW:Galaxies devs. i seem to remember them having a big presence here when the game was in development and they listened to a lot of ideas and suggestions from fans.
Yeah, and look how that turned out. :rolleyes:
Alot of good that did.
 FroZticles
09-29-2005, 5:21 AM
Maybe they listened to the fans too much especially the ones crying out for Jedi.
 anton_138
09-29-2005, 2:50 PM
any comments on the statement 11:25 into the 47 minute video about EaW having two types of shields, energy and particle? i don't recall seeing that in any other SW games besides KotOR, so i'm curious to see how particle shields will be used.
having never really considered it before, i'm assuming the DS shield as used in RotJ was a particle shield, as it kept ships from passing through, whereas the Gungan Faamba shields are energy, as matter such as troops and droids can pass through but energy cannot.
Rebellion had a specific DS shield as well as general planetary shields, so would those be particle and energy? if so, to what other extent will particle shields be used? can ships, troops or stations have particle shields instead of energy, requiring different types of weaponry to assault it effectively?
this is all, of course, just speculation based on a very brief comment in the video.
 Jan Gaarni
09-29-2005, 3:47 PM
Energy Shielding, also called ray shields, and Partical Deflector shielding has been in Star Wars for years. Most warships carry both types. Most ships, if not all, carry the partical shield. One is very powerhungry and is only activated during combat. The other only works when something hits the shield and require little energy to keep up, and is therefore mostly left on.

Partical shields deflect objects by dissipating the kinetic energy they carry due to their speeds (and other variables). The higher the objects speed is, the more kinetic energy is stored, the more energy the shields must be able to dissipate in order to deflect the object away from the ship.

Energy shields are much more powerhungry. This type of shielding also dissapate energy, but from energy weapons, such as turbolasers and such.
 anton_138
09-29-2005, 3:58 PM
how would you expect the 2 types to be used in EaW?

here's a "SW canon" question... if EaW starts before ANH, do you already have Han&Chewie as Rebels at the beginning fo the game, or will you have to finish a mission on Tatooine with Obi Wan to get them?
 Jan Gaarni
09-29-2005, 4:08 PM
Don't doublepost, read the rules.

As for the question, I'd say the latter is more likely. Atleast that you have to recruit him, aswell as Luke. Wether that will be on Tatooine (probably true for Luke if such restrictions exists) or not is anyones guess.
 Tie Pilot
11-07-2005, 6:12 PM
EAW FAQ v1.2 Main

Will there be mulitplayer? How many players can play?
Yes. There will be a multiplayer. A 2 player civil war, and an 8 player skirmish. Mulitplayer has a choice between Space battles and land battles only.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but it saves posting a new one. Anyway I'm wondering if the statement "Multiplayer has a choice between Space battles and land battles only" applies to the civil war campaign or the Skirmish modes.

I'd really hate to think that I could only play a civil war that contains land battles. Well I'm probably wrong. I'm guessing it means the skirmish mode only.

Anyway just to be safe does anyone know anything about this?
 GhOsT-Jedi
11-07-2005, 7:57 PM
OMFG YOU NEWB DONT BRING UP OLD THREADS lol j/k I think they mean both. I hope they dont thought, that would ruin the campaign.
 gamefreak
11-08-2005, 10:27 PM
I think it only applies to the 8 person multiplayer, and not the 1 on 1 fight(not talking about campaign mode)

Dont ask me how this happened?
 Jan Gaarni
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
If you edit your post, you'll find a delete option.

Use it.

It's not our job to clean up after you guys, it's our job to make sure you do that yourself.
Page: 1 of 1