Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Menu Editing

Page: 1 of 1
 Higginson
09-06-2005, 9:21 PM
OK, So I've resurrected a little mod I was doing way back, now that Hapslash's Dooku and Obi-Wan have been released.

It's basically a mod that has all the Jedi and Sith from the Movies in it, all selectable in Single Player from the Create a Character screen. Now, what I'm wanting to do is divide the selection between two types: "Jedi" and "Sith". I have so far organzied the positions of the buttons on the Choose a character screen, but I was wondering if having two seperate lists of models is even possible. So if you click the Jedi Button, then everytime You click the Jedi's name it goes through the Jedi list, and after clicking Sith you click the Sith's name and it scrolls through a list of Sith player models that are available. I've got everyone ingame with no problems, and have been working on getting their sabers in too, which is almost done. I've been making icon's following RazorAce's great tutorial (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116943), and that's all going smoothly too.

Thanks,
James.
 razorace
09-06-2005, 9:39 PM
Well, you'd have to set up the menu system to split up the current "species" selection stuff into Jedi and Sith lists. I imagine you'd have to just use some fancy .menu editting to either hardwire the possible selections or write up some new UI scripts to sort the models into Sith/Jedi catagories.

I'd probably just examine how the species button on the current menus works and go from there.
 Higginson
09-06-2005, 9:46 PM
Well, you'd have to set up the menu system to split up the current "species" selection stuff into Jedi and Sith lists. I imagine you'd have to just use some fancy .menu editting to either hardwire the possible selections or write up some new UI scripts to sort the models into Sith/Jedi catagories.

Aha, that's what I wanted to hear. I saw something about a UI script for the character list, but didn't know where to find it/how to make my own/where to put it so it's overwritten.

I'd probably just examine how the species button on the current menus works and go from there.

yeah, that's what I've done so far, I used the species button as a template, and copied the whole section twice, and made new references as @MENUS_JEDI and @MENUS_SITH. I have the two new buttons on my menu and everything, just don't know how to make 2 lists of models.

If you (or anyone else!) could give me any more info on the UI thing, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks again mate.
 Higginson
09-07-2005, 6:42 AM
Also, is there a way to remove the original Jedi_hf, Jedi_rm etc from the selection screen? Thanks.
 razorace
09-07-2005, 1:38 PM
Uh, just hardcode the possible choices using a standard menu item switch. Look to most of the Options menu items to see how to do that.
 Higginson
09-07-2005, 6:26 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do, but I'm not particularly sure myself. At the moment I've managed to place the buttons onto the screen where I want them, but clicking them does nothing. It appears they are only text.

Here is what I mean:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Higgie123/character_screen.jpg)

The buttons are where I want them to be, but they don't work. I'm eventually gonna move the name of the character to where the colour block is, as that won't be used.

Also, this is the code from character.menu for my Jedi Species button:

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// SPECIES BUTTON - Jedi
//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
itemDef
{
name jedi
group none
type ITEM_TYPE_BUTTON
style WINDOW_STYLE_EMPTY
rect 30 88 140 24
forecolor .549 .854 1 1
text @MENUS_JEDI
textalign ITEM_ALIGN_LEFT
textalignx 65
textaligny -1
font 3
textscale 1
visible 1
decoration
}

itemDef
{
name jedibut_glow
group none
style WINDOW_STYLE_SHADER
rect 176 92 150 16
background "gfx/menus/menu_buttonback"
forecolor 1 1 1 1
visible 0
decoration
}

itemDef
{
name jedibut
group none
text " "
descText @MENUS_CHOOSE_JEDI
type ITEM_TYPE_MULTI //Originally ITEM_TYPE_MULTI
style WINDOW_STYLE_EMPTY
rect 176 92 150 16
font 2
textscale .9
textaligny -5
textalign ITEM_ALIGN_LEFT
textstyle 1
textalignx 50
backcolor 0 0 0 0
forecolor .615 .615 .956 1
feeder 16 //FEEDER_PLAYER_SPECIES
cvar "ui_char_model"
cvarStrList feeder

visible 1

mouseEnter
{
show jedibut_glow
}
mouseExit
{
hide jedibut_glow
}
action
{
play "sound/interface/button1.wav"
uiScript "characterchanged"
uiScript "resetcharacterlistboxes"
}
}

Could you take a look and see if you can spot anything?

I'm also not sure why there is two character names...
 Higginson
09-07-2005, 7:01 PM
Ok, Well, Update. I got the two buttons working. you can click them now. More info when I figure out how to say what I mean :P
 Higginson
09-10-2005, 2:16 PM
Update: Managed to eliminate the original create-a-jedi characters, and split the species into two groups. Now when I press the Sith button it cycles through the Sith, and the Jedi button cycles through the Jedi. Did it by altering this piece of code:

In the original character.menu file it says:
cvar "ui_char_model"
cvarStrList feeder

I then looked in the saber.menu and found this:
cvarStrList
{
@MENUS_SINGLE_1 "single_1"
@MENUS_SINGLE_2 "single_2"
etc.
}

I incorporated this into my menu like so:

cvarStrList
{
@MENUS_JEDI_AS "jedi_as" (that's my reference for Anakin Skywalker)
etc.
}

So I only listed the Jedi I wanted and got to eliminate the original create-a-jedis.

Only thing left to do is re-arrange all the buttons into their correct positions ;)
Page: 1 of 1