Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Install/Uninstall unusual and frustrating glitch

Page: 1 of 1
 RC-1162
08-26-2005, 6:16 AM
i wanted to uninstall my kotor and i got interrupted halfway through. now i think half of the game is still in the memory but when i put in the cd, the UNINSTALL wizard comes up and tries to uninstall the remaining bit. but the wizard crashes saying, "Uninstall encountered error and cannot proceed. Please contact technical support."
is it fixable or do i have to contact tech support on lucasarts?
 stingerhs
08-26-2005, 7:48 AM
well, reguardless of what happens, this problem doesn't require tech support from LA.

the easiest thing to do is to put in the first CD. whenever the autorun comes up, close out of it. go into 'My Computer' and right click on whatever CD or DVD drive the disc is in and hit 'Explore'. whenever the disc loads up, look for a file in the CD's main directory called 'Setup.exe'. double-click on it, and that should start up the install program. make sure you close out the Windows Explorer window as the installer loads to conserve memory.

once the game is re-installed, you should be able to uninstall it at will since it would be a fresh and repaired install. if you do have problems uninstalling it, let me know. there are ways around using an uninstall program (although it is a bit more involved).

hope that helps. :)
 Killwithhonor
08-26-2005, 11:15 AM
yes and if that doesnt work, manually delete the files inside your harddrive, it may take a while since some files are hiddden inside millions of different files but i can help, but thats a last resort if stingerhs reply didnt help
 lukeiamyourdad
08-26-2005, 8:36 PM
format c:\ is your friend...

I'm not trying to hypnotize you into formatting your hard drive :D
 RC-1162
08-29-2005, 4:48 AM
yup, youre not, youre SPAMMING.

anyway thanks for the help stingerhs, ill try it out now.
 RC-1162
08-29-2005, 4:59 AM
no workie. could you tell me the ways around uninstalling now?
it doesnt even install. the first loading thingy comes up, along with the pic of the ebon hawk. then the same message i said earlier comes up.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-29-2005, 9:05 AM
Normally, formatting your hard drive would solve the problem as every file regarding KotOR in any way would be deleted.

I remember a program that could do such a clean-up without the need to format. I'll have to find it.
 stingerhs
08-29-2005, 10:31 AM
yes, but formatting your hard drive likes to delete everything else as well. :dozey:

anyway, the solution is actually quite simple: delete the registry keys. it won't actively delete the files from your hard drive, but it should do the same thing as formatting your hard drive without deleting everything on the drive.

to do this, goto Start Menu>Run. in the field that pops up, type in 'regedit' and press enter. the Registry Editor window should open up. on the left hand side, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then expand SOFTWARE. since your trying to get rid of Kotor, scrolldown the list until you see 'Bioware'. exapand that tab, then expand 'SW'. then, just simply click on the KOTOR name and press Delete on your keyboard. a confirmation window will pop up, so just click yes.

now, close out the Registry Editor and go check the files in your Kotor directory. if any remain, just delete them manually. that should be all you have to do, so if you have further questions, feel free to ask. :D
 lukeiamyourdad
08-29-2005, 10:47 AM
yes, but formatting your hard drive likes to delete everything else as well. :dozey:

But it is so much fun! Everything is all clean and pretty!
 RC-1162
08-29-2005, 11:18 AM
i think youve suffered a knock to youre head you know that? and youre name's acronym is LIAYD not LIYAD. you might wanna change that from your sig.
 RC-1162
08-31-2005, 3:05 AM
your second way doesnt work too stingerhs, sorry im bothering you but i really want the game going. i bought TSL during my vacation and thought that at least now, ill have something to replace KOTOR but then came what made me the most angry and wild in twelve years, my "dear" two year old sister broke the play disc :swear: i mean literally "broke" it was all i could do to keep from killing her and just sticking to bruising her rear.
to manually erase the files, do i have to use search?
you know, kotor has four discs for installation, so its really big, but republic commando has only two discs and it has a size of 2000-odd MB
so kotor should most probably be twice as large but when i checked add or remove programs, kotor had only 11 MB file size, that proves that most of the game is out of the comuter.
 stingerhs
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
well, thats odd. removing the registry keys should have prevented Windows from recognizing the files.

hmm, i think i may have missed something. go back into the Registry Editor and follow the pathway i gave you earlier. this time, however, delete the 'SW' key just under Bioware. i just now noticed that there was another series of keys besides the Kotor set that could be causing problems.

of course, if you don't have anything else under the Bioware Key, you can just delete the Bioware key right there.

as for you sister breaking the disk, well, i've been there before myself. if the game was still under warrenty, i think you should be able to get a replacement from LucasArts for a small fee. there should be a telephone number somewhere in the manual that came with the game that will allow you to get it.

hope that helps. :)
 jmac7142
08-31-2005, 1:38 PM
But it is so much fun! Everything is all clean and pretty!

It also ruins your HD if you make it a habit...
 lukeiamyourdad
08-31-2005, 4:45 PM
People need to lighten up a bit :disaprove
 RC-1162
09-01-2005, 3:41 AM
so do you

i deleted both the SWKotor key and the bioware key, maybe i should ask tech support after all. anyone got a linkie?
 ChAiNz.2da
09-01-2005, 4:15 AM
i deleted both the SWKotor key and the bioware key, maybe i should ask tech support after all. anyone got a linkie?
http://support.lucasarts.com/contact/contacts.htm)
 RC-1162
09-01-2005, 5:08 AM
thanks,
@ stingerhs, that hotline works only if the material is defective and it doesnt apply to damage caused buy "improper use"
really, they should make and exception in the cases of little sisters and brothers.

EDIT: what exactly is the location of the directory?(KotOR)
 lukeiamyourdad
09-01-2005, 8:36 AM
thanks,
@ stingerhs, that hotline works only if the material is defective and it doesnt apply to damage caused buy "improper use"
really, they should make and exception in the cases of little sisters and brothers.

Warranty doesn't support improper use ever. You probably won't be able to ask for a replacement copy unless you lie, which in turn, you'd need to prove that it was indeed caused by the defectiveness of your CD. Which is almost impossible unless you are willing to pay a lawyer some royalties.

EDIT: what exactly is the location of the directory?(KotOR)

C:\Program Files\LucasArts\KotOR
Or wherever you installed KotOR.
 RC-1162
09-02-2005, 6:52 AM
thanks

good thing youve recovered from the knock on your head

be interesting to see what tech support says.
 Cheeseball_IV
12-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm experiancing this same problem, and have done the things mentioned above, but to no avail. Has any new information come to light that could help?

EDIT: Nevermind, I seem to have fixed it.
Page: 1 of 1