Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Turning off third person sabre?

Page: 1 of 1
 lys
08-23-2005, 5:03 PM
In Outcast there was an option to turn off automatically going to third person when you use the sabre, and then you could use p to switch to it if you wanted.

However, in academy, there is no option to change to make sabre first-person. Hitting P also doesn't work. I assume there is still a console command to turn off sabre third-person, how do I do this?
 riceplant
08-23-2005, 5:20 PM
I don't believe there is a way to get 3rd person sabre in JA. Not that I can see why you would want to. Raven obviously realised how vastly inferior 1st-person sabre was, and removed the option.
 lys
08-23-2005, 6:31 PM
So there's no console command to turn it off? I don't like it because it is harder to block blaster fire, as I can't position myself as accurately. They keep on hitting me..

I played through JK2 in first-person, get too disorientated in third.
 El Sitherino
08-23-2005, 6:59 PM
I played through JK2 in first-person, get too disorientated in third.
Adapt.
 riceplant
08-24-2005, 1:12 PM
...They keep on hitting me...
And what makes you think that's because of the game? I never get hit in third person. Unless I'm fighting multiple guys with repeaters/flechettes. Then I think you pretty much have to hit speed and dodge.
 shukrallah
08-24-2005, 6:17 PM
There is a console command that allows you to zoom in. Its probably possible to zoom in so much that the game passes the playermodel and just shows the weapon... maybe... it would be like Master of the Force (you know, that mod RazorAce made for JK2)
 TK-425
08-26-2005, 7:06 AM
1st person is not inferior.

Someone did a mod for this, since you can't do it with the game itself. Try browsing JK2Files.net for first person saber.
 riceplant
08-26-2005, 8:45 AM
Seeing as you seem insistant on using 1st person, try doing it like lukes1 says. The commands you'll need are "cg_thirdpersonvertoffset 0" and "cg_thirdpersonrange 0". It may look a little funny, as the camera will simply be placed inside the player's head, but at least your view will be restricted to about 60є, and that's what matters, right?
 shukrallah
08-26-2005, 3:47 PM
The way JK2 did it, it was inferior. I mean, you couldn't do flips, you were severly limited on the moves you could do... etc. They probably took it out of JKA because of the complex moves like the Katas... it just wouldn't look right. At least with the commands above it should be ok, but it will probably mess up when you flip or do a kata.
 yrthwyndandfyre
08-29-2005, 11:33 PM
The truth of the matter is that if you are using targeted weapons, first person view is vastly superior (which you have). When using untargeted weapons, like a light-sabre, third-person is vastly superior. Riceplant, however, gave the cheats required. If you want to cut yourself off at the neck, that is your choice to make.

You have to keep in mind that JA is not like DOOM. It's not actually a FPS, since your best weapon is not a projectile weapon. Be the Jedi. Your weapon is your lightsabre.
 shukrallah
08-30-2005, 3:27 PM
Besides, 3rd person looks better.
 riceplant
08-30-2005, 7:28 PM
Yeah, I often play 3rd person guns. It isn't that much less accurate, and you retain full jedi manouverability, which is mostly lost in 1st person.
 Prime
08-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Besides, 3rd person looks better.Werd.
 TK-425
08-31-2005, 9:13 PM
Besides, 3rd person looks better.
To some. But your talking to a HALOite.
 joshua236
09-04-2005, 9:20 AM
i know how to get in first person mode using a lightsaber in jedi academy. buut im afraid it wont be yourself in first person. what you do is.

1. level 3 mind trick any dark jedi with a lightsaber.

2. click "p" on the keyboard.

3. now ur in first person mode on that character. buuuut its not that great.
Page: 1 of 1