Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber = grenade?

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-23-2005, 1:02 AM
I'm new to KotOR Tool and I am messing around with the lightsabers. All i do is change the properties and the description and save it as mysaber. i go into the game and type giveitem mysaber. i go into inventory and it shows a grenade that says "no description availble" and u cant equip it or do anything with it. Is it something with the name, or is it where I'm saving it? I save it in the override folder. :slsaber: :saberb:
 Emperor Devon
08-23-2005, 1:14 AM
What properties did you change? Some of them can screw up the game.
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-23-2005, 1:26 AM
I made it like Instant death, Unstoppable, and a few bonuses like 80 energy damage. Very powerful stuff (wanted to make them like movie sabers).
 Colma Adawin
08-23-2005, 1:45 AM
What properties have you taken away?

Colma Adawin
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-23-2005, 2:00 AM
None i kept everything just added some stuff
 Emperor Devon
08-23-2005, 2:47 AM
Could you list every property you added? One of them might be the problem.
 TheOssusKeeper
08-23-2005, 2:57 AM
it doesn't sound like any of the properties, it sounds more like the way you named your saber file, tell me what does your Template ResRef and Tag lines say in your saber uti file? does it match the name of your saber file? if not it needs to match exactly...
 ChAiNz.2da
08-23-2005, 6:33 AM
Ossus Keeper is right... :)

The grenade you're getting is what we refer to as a "null-nade" meaning your cheat code is calling up a "non-existent" file. As Ossus stated, change the .uti's ResRef and Tag lines to match your .uti filename (without the .uti extension).. ;)
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-23-2005, 4:33 PM
oh ok thanks guyz. i have another question thats not about lightsabers. i was adding things to the workbench and i was wondering if you can add the lightsaber parts that you need for your first lightsaber?

EDIT: Crap the saber still turns out to be a null-nade. All i chenged this time was add 5 energy damage, change the description, and make the cost 100 (its usually 900). any suggestions? :jedijawa:

EDIT2: CRAP!!! this time all i did was change the name to mysaber. it STILL came as a null-nade!!!! I dont know whats wrong maybe its where im changing the name? i change the TemplateResRef, the Tag, and the Description name. then i save it in my override folder, thats it! any help will be great!
 ChAiNz.2da
08-24-2005, 2:56 AM
oh ok thanks guyz. i have another question thats not about lightsabers. i was adding things to the workbench and i was wondering if you can add the lightsaber parts that you need for your first lightsaber?
Nope. Just adding it to inventory via cheat, bench or store will not fire the proper scripts to set the global. Without it setting the proper global, Bao-Dur won't "know" you have the parts and offer to build your saber.

My Hak-Pad is an example of how you can get the parts "cheated" and still fire the proper game scripts. It uses a dialogue node to fire the script "a_give_quest_ls"...

If you want to view the source for the saber parts, you can view it here:

Using KT: KotorII > BIFs > scripts.bif > Script, Source > a_give_quest_ls.nss

EDIT2: CRAP!!! this time all i did was change the name to mysaber. it STILL came as a null-nade!!!! I dont know whats wrong maybe its where im changing the name? i change the TemplateResRef, the Tag, and the Description name. then i save it in my override folder, thats it! any help will be great!

Template ResRef: mysaber
Tag: mysaber

Description: "Anything you want"

Make sure in the upcrystals.2da, your columns are filled out appropriately:

label: "anything you want"
template: "your saber crystal's Template ResRef entry" (without the .uti extension)

short, long & double mdlvars: "you saber's Template ResRef entry"

In your case, it would be: mysaber

again, without the .uti extension...If you don't have a particular model for different variations (such as you only have a regular sized version), fill the other entries with ****

make sure however your actual files do have the .uti extension ;)
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-24-2005, 3:14 AM
I wasn't changing the upcrystals.2da, so maybe thats why! but what did you mean "if you don't have a particular model for different variations (such as you only have a regular sized version), fill the other entries with ****"?
 ChAiNz.2da
08-24-2005, 3:27 AM
I wasn't changing the upcrystals.2da, so maybe thats why! but what did you mean "if you don't have a particular model for different variations (such as you only have a regular sized version), fill the other entries with ****"?
For each variation: short saber, regular saber & double-saber... you need a seperate .uti / .mdl file for.

If your saber is only available in the regular length, fill the entries for:

shortmdlvar: ****
longmdlvar: mysaber
doublemdlvar: ****
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-24-2005, 4:46 AM
Oh alright. maybe thats why it still wasn't working! And how could I make it so that Bao-Dur would "know" I have the parts?

EDIT: DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it still won't work!!!!! I did everything you said.......shoot! Well, I'm tired I'm gonna hit the hay...maybe it will fix itself in the morning...
 ChAiNz.2da
08-24-2005, 4:55 AM
Oh alright. maybe thats why it still wasn't working! And how could I make it so that Bao-Dur would "know" I have the parts?
You'll need to get the parts normally or via cheat using the script I noted above. There's no alternative unless you start setting globals in KSE...

EDIT: DANGIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it still won't work!!!!! I did everything you said.......shoot! Well, I'm tired I'm gonna hit the hay...maybe it will fix itself in the morning...
Curious.

Are you re-spawning the items when you're testing your saber? If you're trying to 're-use' a pre-spawned crystal or saber from a savegame... the fixes won't work. The savegame "remembers" the old information that was available when it was first spawned.

After you've done the fixes, go into your game and re-spawn a new crystal or saber and see if it works :)
 Jedi_Knight_707
08-24-2005, 4:47 PM
I have started a new game thats just strictly for testing all of my cuztomized stuff, and I have litterally not walked a step in it, so I don't think its anything prespawned. All i do is say "giveitem mysaber" and if it doesn't work exit the game!
 Jedi_Knight_707
09-17-2005, 2:22 AM
Alright...this is very odd, but no complaints, as everything has started to work now...very interesting...
Page: 1 of 1