Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Combat Simulation Arena v4

Page: 2 of 4
 stoffe
01-29-2006, 6:31 AM
Hey, I tried installing this mod but for some reason I get this error:
"Cannot create file D:\......\SWKOTOR\dialog.tlk."
Anyone got any clues as to how this can be fixed?

Hard to say without more information...

Is the specified install path is says correct? I.e. does it really point to a dialog.tlk file? And if so, is this file write protected?

Is your game, or any modding utility running? If another application is working on the file Windows might not give the installer access to it.

Just to be sure: You are installing this in KotOR2:TSL right? The path quoted above might suggest it was the first KotOR. :)
 stoffe
01-29-2006, 6:51 AM
In a few fights, enemies somehow got stuck either up in the spectator ring, or even into the walls. The first I can get around, I just stand up to the wall and use Spirit Exodus. My clone would be "forced" up to the spectator area, so he would kill him. The other was more serious, however, since they were actually inside the walls. I couldn't get to them, or my clone, and I couldn't get out through the force field or armoband because the match was still active.

Hmm, odd. Which game type were you playing when this happened? The only way I think this could happen would be if you were standing right on top of one of the spawn spots around the arena edge in a Gauntlet or Defend match, causing the game to bump the spawn location to the nearest space outside your collision area.

Unfortunately the game does not take walls or line of sight into concideration when doing things like this, and I guess someone could end up in the spectator area.

While it's impossible to prevent it from happening (unless I move the spawn locations further from the walls I suppose), I could add a check to the arena fighters script where they are jumped back into the arena center if their Z coordinate is higher than the arena floor, though it might slow things down a bit in matches with many simultaneous combatants.

Also, during several of my matches, I saved right in the middle. When I reload, I find myself in the arena with all my enemies gone. I also cannot get out, since the force field is locked, and so I had to use the armband.

Huh? Strange, I've never experienced any problems with saving and reloading in the middle of a fight. What kind of match type where you fighting when this happened?
 Darth Anorien
01-29-2006, 9:41 AM
I tried this mod yesterday and I find it to be pretty cool. At first I tried to fight in the Arena but since I could'n beat even the first enemy I decided to get some experience. I also tried both turret simulators.
 RobQel-Droma
01-31-2006, 1:45 AM
Hmm, odd. Which game type were you playing when this happened?

As I remember, both were pit fights. The on where they got stuck up in the spectator ring was against the Ubese, the other where they were in the wall was with Queen Talia and the Royal Guard. I don't remember them being up there at the start, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on so I might have missed it.

Huh? Strange, I've never experienced any problems with saving and reloading in the middle of a fight. What kind of match type where you fighting when this happened?

The first one was a pit fight against the Jedi Strike Team, and the second was in the middle of the Guantlet Battle against the dark Jedi (the one that Ajuur gives you). It might have been other problems, because during the Guantlet battle one I lost my party members, had a wierd party selection screen message, crashed, etc. (I already asked about this issue in another thread a little bit ago). But the other game, against the Strike Team, wasn't affected at all like this, and didn't give me this message. My party members and I just reloaded into the arena and there was no one there.

BTW, maybe you could make a computer panel that gives the option to abort the match from inside the arena or something - just a thought. And on other question I wanted to ask, how come you can choose for you to watch a fight with the "Dark Lords of the Sith" and "Remnants of the Jedi Council", but you can't fight them yourself? :)
 Dark_Ansem
02-01-2006, 9:08 AM
I also found a bug with Bastila Task force, I press it (in all modalities) and it crashes the game. What about Malak and revan then? also the rancor I think is small and way too fast... he can almost run!! he should be slower in moving...
 guitrntildead
02-02-2006, 4:07 PM
ive been having some trouble installing this, this has been what im doing but im stuck, sorry if i am wasting your time by misreading something
1) i downloaded the mod
2) i put it on a floppy disk (to transfer computers)
3) i opened the mod installer thing for winrar
4) (i read the readme) I chose the installation place and began installation
5) then it said cannot create dialog.tlk then it kicked me off....
 stoffe
02-02-2006, 5:00 PM
5) then it said cannot create dialog.tlk then it kicked me off....

Did you select the game folder, and not the override folder, when it asked you for the location of your game?

From your description it sounds like it cannot find the dialog.tlk file, which is located in your main game folder.

If you did select the game folder, check that the dialog.tlk file isn't write protected (and if you are using an account on your computer without Admin privilegies, make sure you have permission to modify the file).

I also found a bug with Bastila Task force, I press it (in all modalities) and it crashes the game. What about Malak and revan then? also the rancor I think is small and way too fast... he can almost run!! he should be slower in moving...

RE: BastilaTF - Never had any problems with that, or heard from anyone else that there are problems with it. I would guess that this is caused by some kind of conflict with another mod you have installed. "It crashes!" doesn't leave much to form a problem diagnosis from. :p

RE: RevanAndMalak - I suppose I could add them as combatants if I do another version of the arena, though I'd have to think of something to make them unique from the legions of saber wielders already present in the Arena mod to make it feel meaningful. :)

RE: The Rancor - Don't know anything about Rancors supposed to be slow. They do strike me as a predator species after all, and a predator would starve to death pretty soon if they are too slow to catch their prey. :) As for the size, it's either Baby Rancor or "too big to fit inside the arena" Rancor, so I had to pick the lesser of two evils (no pun intended).
 guitrntildead
02-02-2006, 5:02 PM
yes i did that, but i think i figured out what i did wrong. i have been trying to install to the game disk in the game drive.. sorry im really new at this, ill try again in like two seconds and tell you if it works

edit 1:got it... lol im such a newbie.. but wait, where do i enter the mode?

edit 2: oh man i feel like an idiot now, in my excitment i forgot to keep reading the read me thing

T7 edit: guitrntildead please read the forum rules before posting again. Double/triple posting is against forum rules
 jedijones
02-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Uhh... On the threat of sounding stupid - where do you actually have to go in the game to access the battle arena?
 Nodakrattler
02-03-2006, 12:38 AM
You build an armband at the workbench, and when you equip it and activate it, it will warp you there. Then when you want to leave just equip it again and activate and it will warp you back to where you were.
 Taknir
02-04-2006, 4:31 PM
The armband has forgotten where i was it says...The armband has lost track of where you came from...uh oh. Just wondering how do i get back?
 stoffe
02-04-2006, 4:59 PM
The armband has forgotten where i was it says...The armband has lost track of where you came from...uh oh. Just wondering how do i get back?

Odd... the only situation I can imagine this happening normally would be if you use the Warp console command to get to the Arena module instead of using the armband.

The name of the module you are in when the armband is activated is stored in a variable in the save game. That error message only shows if that variable is empty.

Have you...
Used the armband to enter the Arena module?
Used KSE or some other savegame editor between entering and trying to leave?
Installed a Mod that overwrites the "globalcat.2da" file (in the Override folder) after installing the arena module? The installer for the CSArena mod adds a new entry to this file which is used by the armband. If this entry is missing (if another mod overwrites rather than modifies the 2DA file), it would cause problems such as what you described.
 Taknir
02-05-2006, 9:17 AM
Yes i used the armband to get in the arena. Very cool by the way.
Never used KSE until last night on Kotor1.
That would be where my problem is, thank you very much. Thank god i didn't save hehe.
 jenna
02-11-2006, 2:38 AM
whenever I try to dl one of your mods, it is always a .rar file.... X_X is there a way past this or is just the way the cookie crumbles....
BTW: hello for the first and probably last time XD
 RedHawke
02-11-2006, 4:38 AM
whenever I try to dl one of your mods, it is always a .rar file.... X_X is there a way past this or is just the way the cookie crumbles....
Read this thread here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143422) Around post #17 or so. ;)
 stoffe
02-11-2006, 7:13 AM

RAR archives is a way of packing and compressing files, similar to the more well-known ZIP, but with much better compression.

You can find a free RAR unpacker here (http://www.7-zip.org/).

Read this thread here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143422) Around post #17 or so. ;)
Hmm, maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but isn't the downloadable WinRAR a trial version, which will expire after a while unless you buy it (which is overkill IMHO if you just want to use it to unpack RAR files)?
 AnyPRKL
02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
man, this is da bomb! You gotta make another version of this, you just gotta.

BTW, everytime one of the lightsaber wielding folks does (adv.) lightsaber throw
The lightsaber completely dissappears. and when i do the space turret simulator,
the ships all shoot immediatly at me and before i can even see where they are shooting from, i lose... :cry6:
 gandiva
03-04-2006, 2:49 PM
I used the combat armband to get into the CSA but now I can't get out. It says, "The Armband does not remember where you came from. Uh oh."

I am flippin' flamin' angry right now. AAAAAARGHH!!! Please help, I can't play TSL!
 Emon47
03-05-2006, 5:07 PM
I've installed several mods or so, and I've been wondering how to get them to work. Despite me putting the required files into override, the overrides either never occur, or the action expected to happen never does. . . Any help please send to me at ~snip~

Please don't post your e-mail address as per Forum Rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=127725) ~ ChAiNz.2da
 cookie12
03-05-2006, 6:53 PM
I used the combat armband to get into the CSA but now I can't get out. It says, "The Armband does not remember where you came from. Uh oh."

I am flippin' flamin' angry right now. AAAAAARGHH!!! Please help, I can't play TSL!

Just turn on the cheat console then type "warp 003EBO" without the " " and it should take you back to the Ebon Hawk also instead of the armband you can type "warp st_arena". Anyway great mod im loving this :twogun:
 TheOssusKeeper
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I've installed several mods or so, and I've been wondering how to get them to work. Despite me putting the required files into override, the overrides either never occur, or the action expected to happen never does. . . Any help please send to me at ~snip~

Please don't post your e-mail address as per Forum Rules (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=127725) ~ ChAiNz.2da

It helps if you read the readme files that come with the mods and if there are no readme files then be a little more specific on the mods and problems you are having... also try contacting the mods makers for help... Just a heads up... ;)

PS. welcome to the forums, hope you find everything you need... :)
 General Kenobi
03-15-2006, 7:07 PM
Well Stoffe I'm impressed with the latest release of the armband combat arena BUT no matter what I do I have the same problem across all of the versions it's had.

I do EVERYTHING your supposed to with the arena fine, BUT when I hit the band again to go back to the spot I left in and it crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know it's installed correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

:ben:
General Kenobi
 stoffe
03-15-2006, 7:38 PM
I do EVERYTHING your supposed to with the arena fine, BUT when I hit the band again to go back to the spot I left in and it crashes. EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know it's installed correctly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

A few others have reported this as well. But since the game has never ever crashed on me while entering or leaving the Arena module, even when I actively tried to make it happen by doing odd things when attempting to transition, and doing it from a variety of different locations in the game I have no idea what the problem might be. I can't fix a problem I can't find. :)

So unless someone has any insight into what may cause this I will have to assume this is caused by some odd conflict with another Mod, which I do not have installed. (Unless of course you happen to have no other mods installed, so I can scrap that theory as well. :))
 Darkkender
03-16-2006, 12:35 AM
I can't recall stoffe but does this mod have any texture files included in it?
The reason I ask is because a rogue ".tga" file with incorrect dimensions caused many of the crashes with the Holowan Plugin for some people. Of course if there aren't any textures then I couldn't make a guess.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-16-2006, 6:13 AM
Well Stoffe I'm impressed with the latest release of the armband combat arena BUT no matter what I do I have the same problem across all of the versions it's had.

Make sure there is a "string" (value) in your globalcat.2da named ST_LAST_MODULE. I'm pretty sure that is what gets "set" once you use the armband to enter the arena. If you've warped to the arena, you may be in trouble ;)

Also, and I'm not sure, are you loading the arena from a savegame? If so, does anyone know if string values actually "keep" the value stored if you exit a game.. or is it a temporary memory sorta thing?
 stoffe
03-16-2006, 8:00 AM
I can't recall stoffe but does this mod have any texture files included in it?

Well, there was one texture included in the latest version, but not in previous versions which has the same problem reported by a handful of people. And textures with the wrong dimensions would cause crash when the object using that texture was spawned (e.g. when entering the area, not leaving it).

Make sure there is a "string" (value) in your globalcat.2da named ST_LAST_MODULE. I'm pretty sure that is what gets "set" once you use the armband to enter the arena. If you've warped to the arena, you may be in trouble ;)

Also, and I'm not sure, are you loading the arena from a savegame? If so, does anyone know if string values actually "keep" the value stored if you exit a game.

Global variables are stored in the savegame for the duration of that game. Local variables stored an on object are stored in the savegame as long as its "host" object is in the save game. I.e. if you set it on the player character is sticks for the rest of the game. If you set it on an NPC it vanishes when that NPC is destroyed or the Area it exists in is cleaned out from the save game (determined by the modulesave.2da settings).

If the ST_LAST_MODULE Global didn't exist in the game (overwritten globalcat.2da from another mod) the armband shouldn't let you warp out at all since no destination module would be set. So I doubt the problem is caused by this.

It's a difficult problem to track. Since I get the impression that these crashes does not happen to everyone but me, but rather just some people, it shouldn't be caused by me forgetting to ship a file I have in my override either. If that was the case it should crash for everyone else.

So the only thing I can think of really is a conflict with another mod I don't use myself, and I can't figure that out on my own. (Unless other people's games are more sensitive to mistakes for some odd reason.)
 General Kenobi
03-16-2006, 4:03 PM
Stoffe do you use the German version or English? Also I don't think it's the tga for the unique drexel either since this problem has been present for me since your first version so don't think that's it.

The MOD conflict thing could very well be possible due to my HIGH level of installed mods. It doesn't give me any warnings or anything when installing either. Well one for a "you already have this tga in your override folder but thats normal (for me since I had it prior to release anywho). ;)

It couldn't be a graphic card thing or anything could it? I use Nvidia here on both of my IBM's and it crashes on both.

I don't have time now but tonight I'm gonna try to do what ChAiNz up there said as that's a good suspect too. :D

Ooh and yeah loading from a saved game. Fairly fresh one 2 days old or so. It WAS started with one version of the arena then I upgraded. I wouldn't think that would be it would it Stoffe?

General Kenobi
 stoffe
03-16-2006, 5:11 PM
Stoffe do you use the German version or English?

I use the UK-English version of the game. I don't know if there is any real difference between that and the US-English version.

The MOD conflict thing could very well be possible due to my HIGH level of installed mods. It doesn't give me any warnings or anything when installing either.

Just a wild guess, but it could be some other mod that doesn't expect you to warp out to some unknown module and then return. But I doubt it since it doesn't just happen when using the armband in one specific area (at least AFAIK).

How early during the transition out of the Arena area does the crash occur? Right away, or after the loading progress bar has advanced a bit?

It couldn't be a graphic card thing or anything could it? I use Nvidia here on both of my IBM's and it crashes on both.

I use an ATI Radeon card (9800Pro), so I suppose that's a (weird) possibility. While I don't see how the graphics card could have anything to do with it, stranger things have happened (such as Java suddenly no longer working when I upgraded my ATI drivers some time ago :))

Ooh and yeah loading from a saved game. Fairly fresh one 2 days old or so. It WAS started with one version of the arena then I upgraded. I wouldn't think that would be it would it Stoffe?

That depends... If, in your active game, you haven't been to the Arena area before upgrading to 3.0 I don't think it should make a difference. If, however, you have already been in the Arena area in your current game while an older version was installed, the Arena module is already stored in your savegame, meaning dynamic content will be from the old version rather than the new one, while static resources will be from the new version.

This can be fairly easily fixed though by taking a savegame (when you are not inside the Arena area) and opening the savegame.sav file with an ERF editor. Then delete the st_arena.sav file inside the savegame.sav and re-save it. Now a new instance of the Arena area will be created from the latest template the next time you warp there.
 General Kenobi
03-16-2006, 5:17 PM
Hi Stoffe,

It happens after I click the armband itself and it goes into the loading screen. Once I go there it crashes. It's like it starts to load you back to where you were but can't remember?

Would that be it? Somehow it's not saving the "original" spot you came from and when you hit it again to go back it crashes?

General Kenobi
 General Kenobi
03-16-2006, 6:05 PM
As soon as it reaches the load screen and starts to load every time at the same point. I'll finish up my ito wrap and then go ahead and replace the file and see what I come up with. I'll post my findings for you in a bit. Thanks Stoffe for helping out with this. :D

General Kenobi
 stoffe
03-16-2006, 6:07 PM
It happens after I click the armband itself and it goes into the loading screen. Once I go there it crashes. It's like it starts to load you back to where you were but can't remember?

Would that be it? Somehow it's not saving the "original" spot you came from and when you hit it again to go back it crashes?

It crashes directly when you reach the load screen, or does the progress bar move a bit before it happens?

As for losing track of the module you came from... I don't think that would be the reason, however there is a fairly easy way to find out: Move the st_arenaband.ncs file in your override folder somewhere else, download the attached zip-file and unpack the st_arenaband.ncs file inside it into your override folder.

This is an altered version of the armband warp script that, when activated within the arena, won't warp you out, but rather display the name of the module it would have warped you to on screen. Run it and see if it prints out the name of the module you came from. The box that appears on screen should say:
Armband warp destination: followed by the name of the module.

As soon as it reaches the load screen and starts to load every time at the same point. I'll finish up my ito wrap and then go ahead and replace the file and see what I come up with. I'll post my findings for you in a bit.
You are too fast for your own good. :) I accidentally attached the wrong version of the script. The post was only up for like 30 seconds before I discovered my mistake, but you had already seen it by then. Get the one below instead, that should work.

EDIT: Uploaded the wrong script.
 General Kenobi
03-16-2006, 6:52 PM
It located the "dan" module that I warped from so nope not the problem it remembered it perfectly.

This is REALLY annoying me as it's prob. the funnest mod we've had on these boards and I can't play the stupid thing...lol Well I can BUT it doesn't matter due to the crash out on exit.

It might really be another mod problem. I tell you what I'll see if it's on this pc I"m on right now and if it's not i'll install TSL then the mod ONLY and see if it happens again.

General Kenobi

EDIT: I replaced the file you gave me with the original then loaded the game again. It let me go into the arena then out again back to dantoonie. I was amazed. Then I tried it again and it errored out 1/2 way through loading the arena to go back into it.
 stoffe
03-16-2006, 7:05 PM
It located the "dan" module that I warped from so nope not the problem it remembered it perfectly.

This is REALLY annoying me as it's prob. the funnest mod we've had on these boards and I can't play the stupid thing...lol Well I can BUT it doesn't matter due to the crash out on exit.

If you use the warp console command to exit the arena rather than the armband, does it work then or does it still crash the same way?

Also, if you enter the arena, save the game, quit TSL, restart TSL and load the savegame from the arena and then try to leave the Arena, will it still crash?

The reason I was curious how far on the load screen it got was to determine if it crashes while unloading the Arena or while loading the destination module.

It might really be another mod problem. I tell you what I'll see if it's on this pc I"m on right now and if it's not i'll install TSL then the mod ONLY and see if it happens again.

It would be very helpful if you could test it without any other mods installed. That way the possibility of a mod conflict could be eliminated.

I have checked through the Arena area files again just in case, but I can't spot anything that looks out of the ordinary. That doesn't necessarily mean there is no problems there since arena/module editing isn't my strong point, though. But it's very odd that it only crashes for some people while others seem to have no problems.
 General Kenobi
03-16-2006, 9:49 PM
OK Stoffe this post might wander or ramble as I'm typing it over a good while.

ENTER ARENA/SAVE GAME/ EXIT "Then load game and exit over and over and over from the arena"

This method produced NO crash results as I have exited back and forth from arena to starting point once the above senario loads with NO crashes. (Stoffe wonder if there's some type of "tmp" files involved?)

Also just tested the same above and got ready to fight (enemy coming at me) and I hit the wrist console. It warped me. I ran down (did something) and fought a duel with bao dur really quick and warped back out. Warped in and out 2 more times in a row after that.

Whatever it is, it is solved in the "saved game" where your in the module and then you save it. Mine works as long as I load that save game (quick save).

Correction. The last time I went out on the last time I tried to "exit" the console. Stoffe it stopped if you divide the status bar into 8th's at 7/8th's loaded. So if your saying first half of load bar is exit, next half is entry back to starting point then thats where it crashed.

Let me know what you think. :D

General Kenobi
 stoffe
03-17-2006, 7:31 AM
ENTER ARENA/SAVE GAME/ EXIT "Then load game and exit over and over and over from the arena"
This method produced NO crash results as I have exited back and forth from arena to starting point once the above senario loads with NO crashes. (Stoffe wonder if there's some type of "tmp" files involved?)

Very strange, I think that would suggest it's some kind of memory/resource allocation error, but I can't see why that would just happen with this one module. :confused:

The Arena module uses no other temporary files than any other module in the game does (i.e. the savegame is unpacked into a gameinprogress folder).

Hmm, have you tried the turret mini-games in the Hutt's room? Does it crash when those load (since they are in separate modules) or do they load properly?

I have no idea what could cause this, my only guesses are some weird conflict with another mod, or that there is something about the area that nVidia graphics cards don't like. Is anyone else with an nVidia card using this mod but aren't experiencing any crashes on exit?
 General Kenobi
03-17-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey Stoffe :D

Well I do know that Nvidia graphics cards have some issues with some things we do for sure. One really good example is the standard hilts in the Holowan Plugin for TSL that Darkkender did. The hilts he used from a modder display fine on a ATI card but on an Nvidia don't show up at all other than being "silvery".

That one was due to the graphics cards from Nvidia not liking the lopsided tga files. Meaning they were (say) 512x234. The odd shape wouldn't allow them to display correctly. If you turned them into 512x512 they'd show up fine.

That never made any sense to me either but it was a problem nevertheless.

ALSO, I'll do what I said up there earlier. Today (since I love this mod so good) I'm gonna wipe off TSL off of this tower machine I'm on now and go ahead and reinstall TSL with only the Combat Arena installed. Then I'm gonna test the crap out of it and see if it happens again.

I don't know why though but I "feel" you hit on something with the memory resources though. I read through the "error reports" that your pc wants to send Microsoft and that's what it said. The errors were "memory kernal" or whatever type errors.

It will take me several hours to reinstall TSL and test it for you but I'll do it today. I'll post my info for you this evening.

ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE!!!
Guys/Gals anyone else out there with varying graphics cards that have this problem should let Stoffe know. That way she can rule out an Nvidia card problem if you have a HooJoo graphics card or whatever and it happens to you as well. ;)

EDIT: Stoffe, OK I tried it out over and over with a bunch of senarios. Taking items not taking items back and forth. Fighting or not fighting. Talking or no talking. No touching doors or touching doors. Several things ;)

It went in and out of the arena normally every single time over and over. This would make me think its a mod conflict of sorts.

What about this though??? Is there a file somewhere that has say a master listing of all possible inventory items and maybe something in the game "checks" this and every once in a while when it runs on a funky high powered custom made item (mod) that it crashes cause it's not "standard" for the game?

Anywho, that's what I found, It never crashed no matter what I did.

General Kenobi
 stoffe
03-18-2006, 5:49 PM
I tried it out over and over with a bunch of senarios. Taking items not taking items back and forth. Fighting or not fighting. Talking or no talking. No touching doors or touching doors. Several things ;)

It went in and out of the arena normally every single time over and over. This would make me think its a mod conflict of sorts.

If the problem has gone away completely when you removed your other mods it sounds a lot like it could have been caused by a mod conflict. Finding out which one and why would unfortunately be a lot harder. The only way I can think of would be to re-install the other mods one at a time and see if the crashes return between each. That is an obscene amount of work however if you have many mods installed, so it's not exactly something that's a real option.

Unless you intend to reinstall all the mods anyway. Then it could probably be useful to install a few at a time and check things out in-between.

What about this though??? Is there a file somewhere that has say a master listing of all possible inventory items and maybe something in the game "checks" this and every once in a while when it runs on a funky high powered custom made item (mod) that it crashes cause it's not "standard" for the game?

Not that I know of, beyond the UTIs listed in templates.bif, the modules and the override folder. If the crashing is caused by items it'd probably be textures or models, since those take up more memory. If you don't have a lot of RAM in your computer it's possible the game runs out of memory and crashes. But that's not very likely since it only happened with this one area.

Unfortunately the cause of this kind of errors is very hard to predict.
 RevanSpawn
04-18-2006, 11:02 AM
How do I go about installing the Arena v.03 mod?

I ran the installer and got no probs ...then what next?

I started the game and could make the armband but the loading screen will get jammed halfway and kotor2 needs to be closed...

I think the mod is cool n i cant w8 to play it so pls help me those who know how..
 Darth333
04-18-2006, 4:22 PM
Is your game in English? This mod was made for the Enlgish version of TSL.

Also make sure that the .mod files are located in the modules folder and not the override folder.
 General Kenobi
04-18-2006, 5:18 PM
How do I go about installing the Arena v.03 mod?

I ran the installer and got no probs ...then what next?

I started the game and could make the armband but the loading screen will get jammed halfway and kotor2 needs to be closed...

I think the mod is cool n i cant w8 to play it so pls help me those who know how..

I bet this is the same problem Stoffe and I were talking about a page or so ago in the thread. I tried trouble shooting for Stoffe to no avail. It seems to work fine as long as you are light on the installed mods side. I'm full so it does just what your experiencing for me too.

General Kenobi
 RevanSpawn
04-19-2006, 5:20 AM
I'm willing to reinstall the game if i can get this mod installed...
I just want to know that if running the installer is the only thing i must do.
 General Kenobi
04-19-2006, 3:38 PM
Ooh then yep ;) Just run the installer and it works like a charm as long as your mod free. Or you might try installing this first then other mods over it.

Hope that helps a bit,

General Kenobi
 DarthMaul v.1/2
04-19-2006, 7:30 PM
I'm willing to reinstall the game if i can get this mod installed...
I just want to know that if running the installer is the only thing i must do.
HEY RevanSpawn! I just happened to be in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by to offer my experience as an example (and FIX - kinda -) with stoffe's Combat Simulation Arena (1 of my top 10 favorites!). I personally have several MODs - around 40 or so active on my current savegame of TSL. That probably isn't that uncommon, except all mine are installed with out the benefit of KotOR Tool, I only recently got it to work properly because of a problem with my comp.

I also had something similar to what you're saying happen in my game, here are a few tricks to try:

- I would first of all run the CSA MOD auto-installer LAST, after all other MODs have been installed --- this will ensure another MOD isn't overwriting all or part of CSA MOD.

- Next, are you 'cheating' the CSA armband in using tk102's KSE savegame editor? If you are, then IF you did overwrite part of CSA MOD with another MOD you may have installed AFTER CSA was already there, and you re-installed the CSA MOD (like I suggested above), the NEW version of CSA MOD would mean you would have to remove the 'old' CSA armband from your inventory screen in KSE. Once the 'old' armband is removed from KSE inventory (will cause the item to appear in red text on KSE inventory screen), and you have the CSA MOD re-installed and not overwritten by another MOD, return to KSE and re- 'cheat' the NEW CSA armband in to your inventory (now CSA armband will appear in blue text on KSE inventory) --- and if you don't already have tk102's KSE, stop what you're doing and get it!

- Now here is a sure-fire way to get CSA accessible: 1) Make sure you have stoffe-mkb- Combat Simulation Arena MOD installed in TSL (the auto-installer- aKa 'TSLPatcher' - should just have you point it to your SWKotOR2 game directory, located in your 'program' files under the LucasArts sub-folder, and it will do the rest (say 'Thank you stoffe!' )--- 2) Once CSA is installed, go to any of ChAiNz.2da's posts and follow his link to TSL Hak Pad and the 2 TSL Hak Pad booster MODs. If you already have TSL Hak Pad MODs, notice in the README's that in order to access other similar MODs (like CSA and defender's wristconsole 1.9), that those MODs should be installed FIRST, and then install TSL Hak Pad. When you access TSL Hak Pad during gameplay (TSL Hak Pad shows up in the action menu at the bottom, where shields, med-pacs, stims,etc... show up). TSL Hak Pad appears as a shield in this menu--- simply scroll up or down on the shield slot of the action menu until you find 'Hak Pad' (if you are equipping a shield or something similar in-game). Click on the Hak Pad to activate it and you should find the option screen to launch CSA or wristconsole 1.9 --- or similar MODs--- choose to launch 'Combat Simulation Arena' from the selection(s) on this screen in Hak Pad and --- BAM! --- Instant Hutt-slug gladiator colosseum death matches! I personally return here frequently to further eviscerate Darth Sion --- ever since the cutscene on Korriban where I had to 'run away' from the fight in the hidden tomb with Sion, I frequently like to punish him for that outrage!

Anyways, I am SURE that if you don't mind running CSA through the TSL Hak Pad, you will be able to go merrily on your way, slaughtering foes and weaklings in the pits of the Arena! Just follow what I said about the Hak Pad and you'll be good to go, with whatever other MODs you have that may be interferring!

TSL Hak Pad, and booster's 1 and 2 for it are also available(for now!) at www.pcgamemods.com)

I hope this 'fixes' it for you, CSA is a very cool MOD! Also, if you want to know specifics on CSA, try addressing stoffe-mkb- , she's the one that brought us CSA (among other great things!), and is usually not to hard to find around here.
 Darth Manus
04-27-2006, 7:41 PM
I have the same crash problem when I try to warp out of the arena with the armband. I tried cutting the Override folder, pasting it on another location, and then reinstalling the mods one by one. It seemed to work fine, until I reinstalled the Prestige Item Pack co-created by RedHawke & maverick187. Incidentally, the mod manager I'm using always says that some mods (Revan's Robes and said Prestige Item Pack) are KOTOR I mods, even though they obviously aren't. It's rather annoying. Besides, I've noticed that some of those mods have incompatible itemcreate.d2a files, and I'm not sure how to merge the data in them to avoid conflicts.

I hope the problems in this thing will get solved soon. This made me want to go back to KOTOR II. I was getting sick of downloading character models and skins for Jedi Academy, only to find that some of them were faulty and messing up the game. I'm really not in the mood for reinstalling the game and deleting files every time that happens. Once the KOTOR II Restoration Project is complete, I get the feeling I'll be playing even more. The High-Level powers mod also makes it more interesting.

Kudos on the great work so far.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-28-2006, 9:16 AM
Just for some clarification... you want Mr.Defender's Wrist Console to access the Combat Simulation Arena ;)

The Hak Pad won't acces it (mainly because I'm too lazy to update it, and Mr. Defender already did a fantastic job with his mod).. :D

Get The Wrist Console Here:
http://jediarchives.ca/)

Check out the Defender's Mods link to the left for the download :)
 Darth Manus
04-28-2006, 9:59 AM
I haven't tried the wrist console yet, because I knew I'd probably feel tempted to abuse it a bit... Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Well, this looks interesting and nicely done, but how do I add the Arena to the mod slots?
 DarthMaul v.1/2
04-28-2006, 3:03 PM
I haven't tried the wrist console yet, because I knew I'd probably feel tempted to abuse it a bit... Oh well, I guess it can't be helped. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Well, this looks interesting and nicely done, but how do I add the Arena to the mod slots?
Hey there, Darth Manus!

Duh! :rolleye1: Thanks ChAiNz! I completely forgot how I had my CSA/mrdefenders/Hak-Pad set-up in my game - you've succesfully jogged my memory! However, I could not get CSA to launch thru only mrdefenders wristconsole 1.9, I found that I needed both the wristconsole 1.9 and TSL Hak-Pad to get the CSA to launch properly: you need to first have wristconsole 1.9 installed, then you need to have CSA installed, and finally install TSL Hak-Pad - you should now be able to do like I first posted and select the TSL Hak-Pad in game , now in the 'launch other MODs' screen CSA should appear and be fully accessible - REMEMBER to remove the 'old' armbands from your inventory and cheat the new one's in via KSE (like I described in my first post) - now you should be good to go! :)

If this is not clear enough, or it just doesn't work, drop me a PM and I will verify thru my savegame that I gave you the proper instruction, as CSA is working properly on my game.

Hope this helps!

- DM.005 :maul5:
 Darth Manus
04-28-2006, 9:05 PM
I'll try that as soon as possible. With all that combined material, maybe now I can create a character that will toast the end bosses in one or two rounds. XD Now I just wish I could understand why I get an error on explorer.exe sometimes when I open the game while I have a folder open. Must be another of WinXP's random quirks.
 stoffe
04-29-2006, 5:03 AM
However, I could not get CSA to launch thru only mrdefenders wristconsole 1.9, I found that I needed both the wristconsole 1.9 and TSL Hak-Pad to get the CSA to launch properly

Huh? I have no idea why it would work to launch it if you have those installed, but get crashes if you have not. As far as I know the wristconsole just runs the impact script of the Arena Simulator armband that comes with the CSArena mod to begin with. (I have neither the wristconsole or hackpad installed, since I have my own "debugging power" that does essentially the same, and the armband works just as intended to enter/leave the Arena.)

I strongly suspect this crashing is due to some weird conflict with some mod I don't have installed. I've never experienced any crashes or freezes when entering or leaving the Arena area, so I can't do much about it. I can't fix a problem that doesn't exist on my end.

I can't imagine what type of conflict that'd be though. The only thing I can think of would be if you use another mod that overwrites the appearance.2da or globalcat.2da files after the Arena mod is installed. Or if you have some mod that places a file with the same name in the override folder as one that exists inside the st_arena.mod file.

If you really want to use the Arena mod the only thing I can suggest is to wipe out all mods and then reinstall them one at a time to figure out which one is causing problems with the Arena. That's a big lot of dreary work though if you have many mods installed, and probably not worth the effort. :)
 Darth Manus
04-29-2006, 6:15 PM
Well, just installed the hakpad and the upgrade. I'll see if it works now.

EDIT: That seems to have done the trick. I used KSE to give my character the hakpad, then built the Combat Simulation armband and opened the mod by using the Integrated Mod commands in Defender's Wrist Console. Using this method, I've finally been able to enter and leave the Arena without the game crashing.
Page: 2 of 4