Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Random Fatal Crashes

Page: 1 of 1
 BaconthefatPig
08-13-2005, 8:10 AM
[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2
Service Pack=Service Pack 2
Status=Pass

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=3200
CPUFamily=15
CPUModel=3
CPUStepping=4
CPUVendor=Intel
CPUName= Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=1536
Status=Pass

This is where iI assume it starts :giveup:
[Video]
Video Card Name=RADEON X800 Series (Omega 2.6.53)
Video Memory=1024
Desktop Resolution=1280x1024x32 @ 60Hz
DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=2.0.5220 WinXP Release
OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer=RADEON X800 XL x86/SSE2
Vid Card Status=Warning
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

Ok i didnt feel like today today so I did it the easy way. Now I have an x800XL chipset and as shown before I does not meet all of the requirements :firemad: . Not only that but anywhere from 4mins into the game to 30mins into the game, the game freezes and sound loops for about 4secs until my computer restarts. Now I assume it was because I OCed it but since I turn it back to normal I still have the problems. Yes I have the upated drivers, and have done all the simple solutions. Thank you for those that post for your time. :wavey:
 stingerhs
08-13-2005, 9:01 AM
that is really odd. your graphics card way overshoots the requirements for the game, so i can't really see it as the problem.

now, if your playing Kotor I, that game is quite notorious on some systems for having a really bad memory leak, even with the 1.03 patch installed. even then, it could be something as simple as a wierd game setting as well. if you could post your game settings as well, i can probably get a much clearer idea of what's going on with your system. :)
 BaconthefatPig
08-13-2005, 9:23 AM
[Sound Options]
Sound Init=0
Music Volume=85
Voiceover Volume=85
Sound Effects Volume=85
Movie Volume=100
Force Software=0
EAX=2
Disable Sound=0
Number 3D Voices=16
Number 2D Voices=24
Environment Effects Level=0.60
2D3D Bias=1.50
Environment Effects=1
Environment Effects Nonstreaming=1
Environment Effects Streaming=1

[Game Options]
GUIsInScreenShot=1
EnableScreenShot=0
Reverse Mouse Buttons=0
Hide InGame GUI=0
Use Small Fonts=0
Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000
Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000
Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000
Hide Unequippable=1
Tutorial Popups=0
Subtitles=1
Mini Map=1
Floating Numbers=1
Status Summary=1
Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1
Mouse Sensitivity=33
Auto Level Up NPCs=0
Mouse Look=0
AutoSave=1
Reverse Minigame YAxis=0
Combat Movement=1
Enable Tooltips=1
Difficulty Level=1
TooltipDelay Sec=1.000000
Memory Access=1
Memory Level=1
Disable Movies=0

[Graphics Options]
V-Sync=0
Anisotropy=4
Frame Buffer=1
Anti Aliasing=4
Texture Quality=2
Emitters=1
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=1
Shadows=1
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1
AllowSoftShadows=1
RefreshRate=60
Width=1280
Height=1024
Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

I've tried switch the Resolution a couple times because it is a new feature in 1.03 but thats it.
 stingerhs
08-13-2005, 10:42 AM
try disabling soft shadows. i know your card supports it, but that option does tend to cause problems for ATI users. i'd also experiment with adjusting both the AA and AF settings as well as they've occasionally caused problems for me in the past.

if that doesn't remedy the problem, then the likely culprit is a memory leak of some kind. unfortunately, i'm not exactly aware of a fix for that problem. if that is the case, i'd consider taking this up with LucasArts Tech Center for help.
 BaconthefatPig
08-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Ok thank you very much for your help
 stingerhs
08-13-2005, 12:31 PM
dude, i just thought about this. if you added the video card to your computer, then you might want to check and see if it isn't just heat buildup. sometime heat buildup in your case will cause the video card to activate its thermal protection system and stop rendering in 3d. this would, in turn, cause the game to crash. this problem would probably be amplified by any overclocking on the card.

to see if this indeed the culprit, try running the game with the case open and see if it works. if this is the case, you might want to invest in another case fan or two to keep your computer from overheating.

hope that helps. :)
 BaconthefatPig
08-13-2005, 8:12 PM
Well, That will have to wait a few more hours as my computer this morning a few hours after writing the thank you was invaded by a wonderful virus follow by a trojan sooo since my computer was made by gateway but smoothed the edges by me I was easy able to wipe, reinstall, and reformat windows. probably the only good thing dell or gateway does:)

You It probably is that since that makes the most sense... I guess I never thought of that because I have had frozen paintballs in my basement,( in a closet near my computer... Funny story:)) in the middle of summer. Ya my parent are odd. But thanks I'll try once i reinstall and have my computer all happy again. I'll keep you informed.
 BaconthefatPig
08-14-2005, 4:08 PM
Well no help yet, I contacted lucas arts about this and I am waiting for a response.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-14-2005, 9:33 PM
If sombeody remembers, I had a very similar problem.
It was at the beginning of summer and it was a scorching 35°C outside (40°C in my room) and TSL would crash all the time due to overheating.

I'm 95% sure it's because of that.
 BaconthefatPig
08-15-2005, 5:35 AM
I,m a hundred percent sure it isn't. I did two tests to check. My friend brought his computer over for a LAN so he gave me is internal temperture reader. the tests were fine, but did get a little hot none the less if many featuers were on, but that was in AAO. The second test was a household fan blowing to my system simply it didnt work. So I'm stuck with an insolvable problem right now nad it the only thing holding me back from TSL.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Try cleaning your CPU and your video card's fan and see if it could cause the heat to go down.

A household fan blowing through your system might seem like it helps, but it doesn't do that much.

In my case, the first game to crash was TSL. All others worked perfectly until someday when it spread out to everything.
 Logan-
08-19-2005, 7:14 AM
hi,

I have the same problem than BaconthefatPig, i have no virus, no spyware and no problem with my computer. I have not the last drivers for my graphic card (ATI RADEON 9100 series 64MB), a have 5.1 (last drivers are 5.8) my directW is 9.0c, and i have random fatal crash. Yesterday i install the patch 1.0b and at 97% my computer have crash ...

I have a second problem, i don't know what is "Non-Windows Generic OpenGl 1.4.0 Drivers" , when i launch the game and i click to "configure" and next i click to "scan hardware" , video and opengl are Failed ...

Can you help me ? I have send a support to lucas arts.

Thanks

(Sorry for my bad English, i'm French :))
 stingerhs
08-19-2005, 7:46 AM
well, i'd recommend at least running the video drivers up to 5.4 since ATI finally resolved issues with the game with that release of the Catalyst Drivers. second, the game may be having problems with your card due to the 9100 being such a rare card that it may not entirely be supported by the game. but, it should work, in theory, anyways.

third, were you downloading the patch or were you installing the patch whenever the crash occured??
 lukeiamyourdad
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Check your private messages Logan.
 Logan-
08-20-2005, 5:56 AM
I have the video drivers 5.4 now, but i have always crash.

It's when i install the patch 1.0b , at 97% i have a crash sometime, i think with lukeiamyourdad it's a problem with my memorie, but i'm sur i'm no problem with. When i played at Need For Speed Underground 2, i have the same problem with bleu screen, i just update my video drivers and after i have no problem. I think is the same think here, but Catalyst 5.7 do not work and i'm not try 5.8.
Page: 1 of 1