Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My Grim Fandango 2 Idea!

Page: 2 of 2
 Tuetonic708
08-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Would you guys rather have Manny or another guy if there was going to be GF 2 IF you guys were to ask me I would say another guy preferably one of the members of the LSA I wanna see the drastic changes in their Alliance and El Marrow City.
 Sallim
08-16-2005, 2:12 PM
Would you guys rather have Manny or another guy if there was going to be GF 2 IF you guys were to ask me I would say another guy preferably one of the members of the LSA I wanna see the drastic changes in their Alliance and El Marrow City.

Oh yeah, this sounds sexy! But maybe a new LSA in a new / another city?
 Tuetonic708
08-16-2005, 6:12 PM
Oh yeah, this sounds sexy! But maybe a new LSA in a new / another city?
You mean like in Rubacava, LSA fights :blast5: the gangs set out by Hector Lemans or better yet Puerto Zapatoes :vsd: the mysterious town that has never been seen before :Open2: , at least not by the players of the game :ears1:
 JofaGuht
08-17-2005, 3:42 PM
So what do you read? Corn Flakes packets?

I tend to be pretty introspective when it comes to scrutinizing fiction, films especially. So a lot of people tend to find me as a go to guy for recommending stuff to. While I enjoy reading when it's good read, that's impossible to find. I've come to the conclusion that all books just suck.

I find Robert Cormier to be the only writer worth reading. And while that sounds like I'm praising him to be the best; I'm not saying he's the best. I'm saying he's the only writer. There's nothing else I read.

But if you send a good film my way, let's talk.
 Mr Flibble
08-17-2005, 4:21 PM
Midnight Cowboy. Thats my favourite film there.
Makes me cry everytime.
 JofaGuht
08-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Have not seen but shall.
 Tall Guy
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Also, the majority of the fans around here are really anti-sequel. If you hang around long enough, they'll infect you with their pessimism. That's what happened to me. ;)

Heh, that's one the truest quotes I've heard in a long time..people sort of land on this site having just played the game and loved it, and they're all like "Whoaa GF rules, SEQUAL!!!"...Sooner or later they're knocked back down to earth! heh
 TheCrimsonClown
12-31-2005, 8:37 PM
I new character would definitely be cool, but I don't I'd be able to let go of Manny. :(

Although, at least Glottis would be eligible to be in the sequel.
 Klia
01-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Heh, that's one the truest quotes I've heard in a long time..people sort of land on this site having just played the game and loved it, and they're all like "Whoaa GF rules, SEQUAL!!!"...Sooner or later they're knocked back down to earth! heh

I've been knocked down pretty quick.

I'm replying as the credits are rolling. I just beat the game and I think the sequel would have to be near perfection for me to want it.

However I do think references in other Schafer games to Grim Fandango would be much loved.

I do believe there was one in the Curse of Monkey Island.
 TheCrimsonClown
01-01-2006, 10:18 AM
I do believe there was one in the Curse of Monkey Island.

Yes, there certainly is. And what a hilarious reference that was! lol
 Klia
01-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Yes, there certainly is. And what a hilarious reference that was! lol

I'll see if I can dig up the picture.

I gasped when I saw it.

http://www.residivjeux.com/monkey/images/monkey3/manny.jpg)
 Chaos Anhell
01-05-2006, 8:17 PM
Hi im new nice to mmet ya all, anyway here is the idea:

Ok, Grim Fandango 2 could not necesary to be a sequel, it could be a pre-sequel, such as answering the popular question "Why Many ended in the DOD, what in did he commited?" Yep, it should be with humans and all, and if its true that many commited a crime, well it could be a very good spin-off, since if you play with Many then he would be bad, and you have to make bad things. Well it could be not necesery that you play with Manuel, it could be a policeman, a detective or i dont know things like that that is in the search of Manuel.
 Niklas.
01-06-2006, 9:43 AM
This is pretty funny CA, I've been lurking these boards for some time and signed up just to post that very idea. Beaten to the punch. =P

I would love to see what Manny did to end up in debt to "the powers that be". Preferably something like him pursuing his love or trying to clear someone's name, and in his search forsaking his friends, family and self. (I'm not trying to stake out the plot, merely visualizing the general feeling of loss and tragedy).

Sadly, the main plot of a prequel would have to take place in the land of the living, wether or not the story is told by Manny's first hand experiences or through flash-backs (perhaps he'll be able to see his own story in it's entirety in a flash of clarity as the train passes to the next world.). As frightening a place the LotL seems through the eyes of the dead as beautiful and film-noiresque it could seem through Manny's eyes the first time around, before he forgets and is reaped (if that's whats happened).

Another way of realizing a prequel could be through Manny's adventures before he began at the DoD (assuming, of course that he didn't begin there straight from death). There are many possible stories here to tell, which would help flesh out Manny's character. Perhaps through trying to rectify some crimes of his life he sacrifices even more (what if it was after his death he in-debted himself and is forced to start over his four year journey as an amnesiac working at the DoD?).

As you all can see my ideas are still pretty rough, while somewhat dear to me, I hope you won't shoot it down without atleast some discussion. =P

And last but not least, I think that whatever obstacles the plot puts in our path, the greatest obstacle is to get Double Fine to start working on this. =P
 VampireNaomi
01-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi, Niklas! Those ideas of yours sound interesting. I especially like your idea about Manny seeing his life flash before his eyes (er, sockets?) in the train. I don't know how well such an idea could be done and kept true to the hert of GF, but if there ever was a prequel story, I think that's one of the best ways to approach it.

You seem to know your way with English. Why don't you write that as a fanfic?
 Niklas.
01-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Sadly, the possibilities I see for a new game are rather limited: Either a game with much Manny but with less LotD, or vice versa.

Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately I'm not too good at writing (I usually have great troubles with the beginnings of stories, although not as great as my problems with endings. Middles, however, I just seem to drag on and on... =P )

I've noticed that there are a couple of budding writers around here, and I love to help proof-reading or bounce some ideas, though.
 VampireNaomi
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Sadly, the possibilities I see for a new game are rather limited: Either a game with much Manny but with less LotD, or vice versa.

Indeed, it's a true shame. I'd rather explore a new cast of characters in LotD since it's such a fabulous locations. But all we can do is dream.

Thanks for the compliments! Unfortunately I'm not too good at writing (I usually have great troubles with the beginnings of stories, although not as great as my problems with endings. Middles, however, I just seem to drag on and on... =P )

I'm sure you're being too modest. But I'm not going to press it, since it's really annoying if other people constantly bug you into doing something you don't want to.

I've noticed that there are a couple of budding writers around here, and I love to help proof-reading or bounce some ideas, though.

If you ever have any time, I could use a second opinion on a story I'm working on. I'd rather have someone whom I don't know read it, because good friends are sometimes too gentle with criticism. :)
 Niklas.
01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Sure, send it my way. niklas85@gmail.com
Be warned though, I've never studied any higher litterature or such, so I'll just be the voice of the commoners. =P
 Chaos Anhell
01-06-2006, 4:48 PM
This is pretty funny CA, I've been lurking these boards for some time and signed up just to post that very idea. Beaten to the punch. =P

I would love to see what Manny did to end up in debt to "the powers that be". Preferably something like him pursuing his love or trying to clear someone's name, and in his search forsaking his friends, family and self. (I'm not trying to stake out the plot, merely visualizing the general feeling of loss and tragedy).

Sadly, the main plot of a prequel would have to take place in the land of the living, wether or not the story is told by Manny's first hand experiences or through flash-backs (perhaps he'll be able to see his own story in it's entirety in a flash of clarity as the train passes to the next world.). As frightening a place the LotL seems through the eyes of the dead as beautiful and film-noiresque it could seem through Manny's eyes the first time around, before he forgets and is reaped (if that's whats happened).

Another way of realizing a prequel could be through Manny's adventures before he began at the DoD (assuming, of course that he didn't begin there straight from death). There are many possible stories here to tell, which would help flesh out Manny's character. Perhaps through trying to rectify some crimes of his life he sacrifices even more (what if it was after his death he in-debted himself and is forced to start over his four year journey as an amnesiac working at the DoD?).

As you all can see my ideas are still pretty rough, while somewhat dear to me, I hope you won't shoot it down without atleast some discussion. =P

And last but not least, I think that whatever obstacles the plot puts in our path, the greatest obstacle is to get Double Fine to start working on this. =P

ok everithing will be fine as the history dosnt convert in something about magic and awesome creatures, the political thread about corruption that Grim Fandango analice is very good. Please lets dont think about Manuel converting into someone that fly and creates fire to rip every human or something like that. Btw, i havnt seen all the post so maybe i would repeat some ideas that are already posted, but im not a leecher, all that i tell before was under my own conciense. mmmm i was thinking too. Well how about Grim Fandango, but continued not with Manuel, since he is already in the paradice (or we supouse that). How about playing with Eva? well i think it could be a good idea beign the head of the LSA. Oh, the enemy is important too, if the ideas came up who will be the enemy? cause Hector LeMans was prouted by Cal (well we supouse he is dead). So anyway here is another idea. Manuel arrives after the 4 minutes in the train but aparently there is no paradice, its all a fake invented by those in the Land of the Dead for some reason. Now i dont know how to continue this idea, cause what political topic would be the one of analysys? well anyway, another thing, please lets stay in the game genere of "Adventure". Well yeah maybe more use of guns and schyte would be great, but please dont think about making a plataform, rpg or another thing with Manuel. Anyway i have seen that everyone likes Many, i havnt seen anyonbe of here that dislike this character, but think in the idea too of beign more focused in another characters.
 Nick Virago
07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm gonna quote the golden rule of cinema here:
"Sequels Suck" (it also applies for videogames)
Any title with a 2 on it is just a desperate attempt to win more money. Grim Fandango is THE perfect adventure videogame (perfect story, perfect music, perfect graphics, perfect characters). That's something you just can't ask for twice. A sequel to Grim Fandango would be fun, but average.
Page: 2 of 2