Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

It's Here!

Page: 1 of 1
 Jeff
07-30-2005, 12:46 AM
I am very happy that the forums have upgraded, and just wanted to say thanks to everybody that worked on it. It looks great and I am looking forward to using out all the cool new features. What do you guys think?
 Bob Lion54
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Same here!!!

It's running a bit slow at the moment. I hope thats a sign they are still working on it.

I'm ready to check out the goodies!
 MdKnightR
07-30-2005, 1:03 AM
It looks great guys, but it is slower than snot on a cold Christmas day so far.
 stingerhs
07-30-2005, 1:19 AM
i have a feeling it'll speed up once the bugs are ironed out. great job to all the admins who made this possible. :D
 RedHawke
07-30-2005, 1:23 AM
Yup slow as molasses here... but it sure is purty! ;)

And waaaaaayyyy too much blue... needs more Red! :D

Edit: Recinded my previous statement about the Forums speed! ;)
 Derc
07-30-2005, 6:34 AM
As I spent more time getting used to the new upgrade, I realized that this was the exact same format used in another forum that I visit. And that one has never had any hardware/data problems whatsoever, as far as I can remember.

So this is a good thing. :thumbsup:

I hope the days of "There seems to be a problem with the database" are long gone. :)
 Bon Solar
07-30-2005, 6:39 AM
Good work team :D
 stoffe
07-30-2005, 6:41 AM
Well, this certainly looks different from how it did before. A clear improvement in many ways. The new post editor is wonderful compared to the old one, and it seems I am no longer logged out every 2 minutes. :)

However, please say there will eventually be an alternative color scheme you may choose from? This current color scheme is pure torture on my eyes and it currently makes the forums very difficult to read. :stick:

Dark text on a lighter background is much easier to read than white and yellow on not-very-dark gray and blue, in my humble opinion.
 Smilodon
07-30-2005, 6:48 AM
Yea, I hope there will be another color scheme, and the smilies are just kinda ugly compared to vB2. It's also more difficult to see the line which seperates the post from the signature here.

But the new features are just great, good job :)
 Bon Solar
07-30-2005, 6:52 AM
There wasn't even a line before was there?? But yer, its hard to see. Colours seem fine to me though, always keep a light/bright forum!
 Jeff
07-30-2005, 6:56 PM
We get bigger Avatars! 120x120! Yay! :D
 MdKnightR
07-30-2005, 8:51 PM
We get bigger Avatars! 120x120! Yay! :D

This is definitely cause for celebration! AWESOME! :rddance:
 Char Ell
07-30-2005, 9:51 PM
So far so good. Kudos to the LF network staffers and others who made this happen. All things considered I think it went pretty smoothly. I just had to remember my password so I could log into the new server... :D

So who did the Malak/Mira Visas banner? ChAiNz.2da?

EDIT: My bad for showing my TSL ignorance. :hit4: My apologies to all current and future readers
 Jeff
07-30-2005, 9:53 PM
So who did the Malak/DS Mira banner? ChAiNz.2da?
Thats Visas.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-30-2005, 9:58 PM
So who did the Malak/DS Mira banner? ChAiNz.2da?
nope :)

I'm just a SWK webmonkey... I think it was Swoosh or Pad, but I don't honestly know...

http://www.lucasforums.com/announcement.php?f=217)
 Darth333
07-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Pad made the banner. He also made the Republic Commando (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=567) one. There are pretty good artists on these boards! :) You'll also notice that all the banners loop.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Pad made the banner. He also made the Republic Commando (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=567) one. There are pretty good artists on these boards! :) You'll also notice that all the banners loop.
Yup! They're streeeeetchy (http://www.jumpstationz.com/gallery/random/stretchyLF.jpg) :D hehehe...
 TheOssusKeeper
08-02-2005, 9:44 AM
to all those who worked on the this new site (look) it is freakin' sweet, i love the new look, you folks rock :D
 Darkkender
08-03-2005, 1:35 AM
Ok I've been enjoying certain factors of the update. However there are some glitches I'm running into. As well as a suggestion or 2.

I have yet to get the site to retain my information. I have no security settings on cookies however the site doesn't seem to be generating any for me to retain on my at home machine. What's worse is every so often the site will log me out when I'm browsing the forums.

Suggestions Please bring back name glows. I worked so hard for that and now we no longer have them. The other thing is the ability to change one's own title. While I have no desire currently to change the custom title I made for myself I would like to be able to edit it again. I hope I'm not going to have to rearn all of those posts again just for that feature. :p
 TheOssusKeeper
08-03-2005, 7:06 AM
I agree with DK, however my request is that you allow everyone to have the glowing name thing right off the bat... and allow them to change their title very quickly after openning an account here, if the first is already the case , how do i do it? and if the second is already available, how do i do it? pleasssse.... :D
 Prime
08-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I agree with DK, however my request is that you allow everyone to have the glowing name thing right off the bat... and allow them to change their title very quickly after openning an account hereCome on, you have to pay your dues and earn your stripes! :D
 TheOssusKeeper
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
well, ok... but at least shorten the amount of post some, so we don't have to wait a millennia to get these two goodies, pleazzzze :D
 Bob Lion54
08-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Come on, you have to pay your dues and earn your stripes! :D

If I ever "earn my stripes", I think I'm going to use "Registered User" as my custom name. I don't know why, but I think it would be funny, provided the rankings come back.

Let's see, 2.1 post per day. Divided by 475.

Only 226.19 days untill I can change my title!! Whoo Hoo!!

Seriously, I like that only people who stick around a while can change their title and have a glowing name. It just seemes better that way.

And I miss the glowing names, even though I didn't "earn" one yet.

EDIT:

Idea!

0 post- Custom Avatar
500 post- Signatures (may cut down on newer users with super long sigs.)
750 post- ability to put a pic in you sig (same as above. Also, just another thing to look forward to)
1000 post - custom title
1500 post - Let it shine!
 stoffe
08-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Seriously, I like that only people who stick around a while can change their title and have a glowing name. It just seemes better that way.
(snip)
Idea!
0 post- Custom Avatar
500 post- Signatures (may cut down on newer users with super long sigs.)
750 post- ability to put a pic in you sig (same as above. Also, just another thing to look forward to)
1000 post - custom title
1500 post - Let it shine!

The problem with that kind of thing, IMHO, is that it "rewards" quantity rather than quality, which just tends to encourage spam.

Is a person who posts 200 well thought out posts that contribute to the discussions worth less than one who posts 1000 one-liner or smiley-only posts? I guess that is subjective and depends on what it is you value in your fellow forum members. :)

It doesn't matter either way to me personally since I'm not likely to be qualified for a custom title any time this year, if ever. I've never been able to see those glows (whatever they are) that everyone talks about either. :)
 tk102
08-03-2005, 12:34 PM
The glows (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/filter/reference/filters/glow.asp) were an HTML filter that only worked with Internet Explorer. They've been disabled since vb3.

I agree with you stoffe. It's hard to quantify 'quality posts'.

One thing I wish though would be to limit signature size so that it cannot exceed the length of the post. :p
 Darth333
08-03-2005, 1:32 PM
The other thing is the ability to change one's own title. While I have no desire currently to change the custom title I made for myself I would like to be able to edit it again. I hope I'm not going to have to rearn all of those posts again just for that feature. :p You should be able to change your title in your user CP>Edit profile.

Lion54: the rankings will come back. It's just that for now the priority is bugfixing. Candy will come in due time ;)
 Bob Lion54
08-03-2005, 3:49 PM
I agree with stoffe, too.
That's why I used quotations on "earn."
I just thought it might be more interesting then 1000 post as the only benchmark.
That and some of the other rewards could make the forums a bit cleaner.
I figure by a certain number of post, people will have a general feel for the forums. Most people that have sigs that are really long tend to be newer. Some places might not care, but LF is a lot more organized and user friendly than alot of other sites.

Thing is, I would prefer a way to reward quality over quantity. In terms of Holowan, people with less than 1000 post but have help the community grow should be rewarded. stoffe, for example, has greatly helped the advancement of modding Kotor. Not to mention he/she is always willing to give a helping hand to the "lost."Unfortunatly, unless the modderators want to rate every post and member for rewards, it looks like LF is going to have to stick with the post number as a way to give out "goodies."

Lion54: the rankings will come back. It's just that for now the priority is bugfixing. Candy will come in due time

I thought I remembered someone saying they would be back. To be honest, I have't noticed that many. A few minor bugs, but nothing to bad. The staff did a really great job with the move.
 TheOssusKeeper
08-04-2005, 10:20 AM
i agree with Stoffe as well, quality over quantity... some people can be members for years and still not get the amount of posts they need to change the title and glow thingies... like me, although i haven't been a member a real long time, i had well over 100 posts and and when the new system went in effect i lost everything and had to start over from stratch... and that was without spamming, i don't get to be on here very often, so i have few posts, which leads me back to the same point Stoffe had quality over quantity... but thats just IMHO
 Darth333
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
err..but that's kind of impossible to implement and it could create problems between members and with the moderators.

First, this would be a lot of work for moderators and admins as a computer cannot weight the quatlity of posts.

Second, I don't think titles should be awarded only to a very few who made very exceptional contributions. We need a bit of everything, including humor, on the boards to make it fun.

Just imagining all the PMs saying "why him and not me..." makes me feel :whacked:

On the other hand, when you see some inapropriate posts/threads, spam, etc, you can contact the moderators by clicking on the yellow button below each avatar and we will look at the situation :)
 tk102
08-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Just imagining all the PMs saying "why him and not me..." makes me feel :whacked:
Aww...:violin: but with great power comes great responsibility. :p
 stoffe
08-04-2005, 12:50 PM
err..but that's kind of impossible to implement and it could create problems between members and with the moderators.

First, this would be a lot of work for moderators and admins as a computer cannot weight the quatlity of posts.

Agreed to that, it would be a terrible amount of work for something that isn't all that meaningful. That effort is better spent on something else. Forum posting isn't a contest after all. :)

I wasn't suggesting that the current system should change. I was merely pointing out that awarding some people bonuses with post count as the only qualifier sometimes has a tendency to lead to pointless spam (of the non-humorous, non-community forging variety, posted for no purpose but to increase the post counter). While arbitrary "rewards" has its own set of problems, breeding bad blood, as you said.

Personally it doesn't bother me one bit to be a Registered User, getting a getting a fancy line of text below my name is hardly the reason I visit these forums after all. :)

In terms of Holowan, people with less than 1000 post but have help the community grow should be rewarded. stoffe, for example, has greatly helped the advancement of modding Kotor. Not to mention he/she is always willing to give a helping hand to the "lost".

Uh, me? :wavey: Have I done something that would deserve special recognition? I'm just answering questions when someone asks about something I happen to know something about, and occasionally post when I have created something in Holowan. Nothing different from what most of the regulars there do. Don't see what would be so special with that. :)
 General Kenobi
10-18-2005, 11:54 PM
By Darth333:
Second, I don't think titles should be awarded only to a very few who made very exceptional contributions.

I agree totally D333! :D Our poor moderators would be bombarded with PM's like you said. Besides who's to say Stoffe's or ChAiNz posts are "better" than Svцsh's or T7Nowhere's anywho? ;)

Our moderators have enough to do already as is...lol "work..work...work"...lol :D
Since it is the "feedback" thread I do think all you gals/guys that moderate on the forums do a very good job. :D I've read through some forums out there and I was shocked! All the cursing and fighting going on in most every thread in every forum and no one actually discussing how to do something modding wise.

That's the reason I do like posting/helping out with info/ and all the rest on Lucasforums is it is simply a calm point the forum storm. ;)

I think the main reason that Lucasforums (in particular to Holowan and others) is so successful I think is directly related to the friendliness, helpfulness of most of the people who've been around for awhile helping others. Also, it is the most informative "learning site" for modding a game I've ever seen. All kinds of organization in the tutorials and the like all to help the newbie learn to mod I think is simply wonderful.

HOWEVER
Personally for my own tastes I DO NOT LIKE the multi-split Holowan now. :rolleyes:
It was handy for me at least to be able to view all of the relivant threads to modding in one forum. To be quite honest I think if you get in the habbit of posting in one you most times stay in one.

I think it also cuts down on feedback for mods/mod ideas because most casual posties will only go to the newly released mods forum and check that to see whats up. That I think also is sorta annoying to have to have one thread for a W.I.P on a mod then another to release it because your gonna have bug fixes and such in the release thread and possibly in the original W.I.P. thread. If you'd release a Beta in your W.I.P. it would be 2 threads talking about bugs for the same mod.

I love the idea of a detailed kotor and tsl walkthrough. :D Maybe you guys and gals on the staff of StarWarsKnights.com could collaborate with the folks who did http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotorii/walkthrough.php) KILLER walkthrough that I've used a bunch in the beginning.

Anywho GREAT JOB!!!!! :thumbsup: to the staff of both LucasForums & StarWarsKnights :D

:ben:
General Kenobi
 General Kenobi
10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Uh, me? :wavey: Have I done something that would deserve special recognition? I'm just answering questions when someone asks about something I happen to know something about, and occasionally post when I have created something in Holowan. Nothing different from what most of the regulars there do. Don't see what would be so special with that. :)
In response to Stoffe's above question on why you?
Stoffe the reason why people remember you and single you out is simply your a very good modder who is nice enough to try to help others and is very knowledgable in all types of scripting modding stuff. ;) I remember you explained out in detail the contents of the appearance.2da one night in a thread. :D I copied it and it helped me directly to learn what all those columns were for. People remember the helpful and kind; both of which you are. :D
Page: 1 of 1