Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

LucasForums relaunch featuring vb3

Page: 1 of 2
 matt--
07-29-2005, 5:44 PM
LucasForums relaunches featuring vb3...

Opinions, comments, suggestions?
 Bob Lion54
07-30-2005, 12:46 AM
I will take some getting used to, but......

NICE!!!!
 ZBomber
07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
I agree. I'm used to the older LF, but I LOVE the JK section now. Only suggestion I have is throw some OT charecters/scenes into the Star Wars banner. :)
 Herminator
07-30-2005, 12:59 AM
you guys rock, I lurve it.
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 1:29 AM
Are the long load times a temp thing or what? I've got cable and it takes quite awhile to load. Also, the smilies aren't as good as before; they're kinda crappy quality. Also, when it comes to banners, OT and EU > PT and Clone Wars cartoons ;)

This is me being nitpicky. Everyone voted this place being amazing and are afraid to voice concern. I was the first to vote just 'good' because of these (minor) concerns.
 Aristotle
07-30-2005, 1:34 AM
Loads are just a temp issue. We're re-indexing the 1.7 million posts into the new search for the new version... and it's really putting a heck of a strain on the processor. That should be completed within a few hours and we'll be back to normal speed. In fact, we should be faster than normal as v3.0 uses better table formatting.
 Smilodon
07-30-2005, 3:03 AM
I've never been on a bord with vb3 before, so I'm kinda unfamiliar with the handling at the moment ^^
 James Isaac
07-30-2005, 3:53 AM
It looks great, congratulations everyone who worked on it. The front page is the best re-design I've seen so far though :)

The only complain I have is, as Katarn07 said, the load times are very slow. Every link I click there's a 30 second delay before anything happens.
 SteveBB
07-30-2005, 6:04 AM
It really looks great, the header in the monkey island discussion is a bit empty on the right but for the rest it looks great
 Pie™
07-30-2005, 11:10 AM
'tis good. :)
 IG-64
07-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Not benefiting me personally. Had to scrap my new sig (http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/7144/altsigexample7vb.jpg) because the forum colors don't alternate anymore, and my backup new sig (http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/8340/lotrsig6cj.png) because it was too big due to the transparentcy and got me a pm from kurgan, and just stick with my old sig though I had to optimise it to fit the >50k limit kurgan set for me. The avatars aren't any bigger like I hoped they would be. [Woot, they made them bigger. :D]The new smilies aren't that great. And the name glow, instead of being fixed for firefox, seems to have been scrapped completely.

The new look is ok I guess, but it will take some getting used to. And I noticed highlighting to insert tags into a post works now, which is good. Other than that I don't see what's changed. So far, maybe somewhere between "...nice, really" and "eye gouging"? But maybe that'll change over time. >_>
 Chase Windu
07-30-2005, 1:33 PM
Kick @$$ but it'll take some getting used to.:twogun:
 shukrallah
07-30-2005, 3:10 PM
So far so good!
 ChAiNz.2da
07-30-2005, 4:18 PM
Absolutely loving it! I'm pretty much going click happy to unlock all the new VB3 goodies... especially loving the click on poster's username to get the options menu :thumbsup:

Great Job to all of those invloved, and the relatively short downtime for the upgrade was.. simply put.. shocking! I wasn't expecting it to be up as soon as it was.. but I'm happy :emodanc:
 Lynk Former
07-30-2005, 5:16 PM
rock on, all the pertiness :D
 McCusto
07-30-2005, 6:18 PM
I like this way better than the older one :)
 Jed
07-30-2005, 7:12 PM
Fantabulous.
 ZBomber
07-30-2005, 8:11 PM
:eek:

Thrusting stormy in high resolution!

Digging these new 120x120 avatars. ;)
 Lynk Former
07-30-2005, 8:32 PM
So am I, can you tell? :D
 Darth333
07-30-2005, 9:10 PM
Amazing! Love the new features! Nice work everyone :thumbsup:
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 9:40 PM
Love the huge avs as well. What are the 'restrictions' on sig pics? They were supposed to be no bigger than 500 x 90 back in the day. I see most have big ones (some bigger than mine). Is that whole policy gone or not enforced?

And will there be alternating banners with each subforum you go into or not? If so, can the collecting people pick what would be on it? Not that anything was wrong with the last one we had, it was mostly stuff none of us collected. Just again, something not too important but something that would be cool to have.
 Thrik
07-30-2005, 10:15 PM
There are no stone-etched signature limits right now, though unreasonably large ones will be removed. There'll probably be a hard restriction placed upon them at some point, since it's inevitable with a forum of this size that plenty of people will disregard others' viewing quality.
 cutmeister
07-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I say a job well done. Such a heavy duty migration and from what I experienced the whole thing went fairly smoothly. You guys did your homework and got it right. :clap2:

As others have stated the new look and features will take a little getting used to but I definitely think the vb3 a big improvement.

EDIT:
I very much like that my posts get an edit time stamp after I edit them :)
I also like the fact that we can have bigger avatars
Like the ability to see what other online forum members are doing/viewing
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 10:42 PM
There are no stone-etched signature limits right now, though unreasonably large ones will be removed. There'll probably be a hard restriction placed upon them at some point, since it's inevitable with a forum of this size that plenty of people will disregard others' viewing quality.

I'll leave them the dimensions I have until then. I only go to collecting (and at the moment here voicing my concerns and complimenting your great work ;)) so it shouldn't be a big problem. What can we expect for the dimensions? 500 x 100 or so? I think that's reasonable.
 ZBomber
07-31-2005, 1:35 AM
What about the thing we had before. You can chose signature limits in your user CP, and that way everyone is happy. It might still be in there, not sure.

I agree with the collecting banner idea. >_>
 Insane Sith
07-31-2005, 8:50 AM
What about the thing we had before. You can chose signature limits in your user CP, and that way everyone is happy.
Except it didn't always work.
 Jake
07-31-2005, 12:57 PM
I was really hoping the change to VB3 and the switch to larger avatars would have marked the end of allowing images in signatures. If you can have a huge avatar space to express yourself in, why do you need to clog up the post stream with some huge animated gif from the matrix or something under everything you say?
 Lynk Former
07-31-2005, 1:10 PM
so then turn of the [ img ] tags in the sigs completely.
 Insane Sith
07-31-2005, 1:12 PM
Why have avatars when we can make posts to express ourselves? :P

It's just fun little things people enjoy having. As long as people are courteous, I see no issue.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-31-2005, 2:12 PM
so then turn of the [ img ] tags in the sigs completely.
That's what solved my problem... ;)

I've never been fond of sig line pics, but I know alot of others are. As long as we have the option to not have to view them, then to each their own... we get the best of both worlds :D

gotta say though... the uber-size avatars are great :emodanc:
 Acrylic
07-31-2005, 6:36 PM
The big avatars are cool, but I've always liked smaller sig pics and avs. But, I enjoy looking at big avatars. Just not having them myself. ;)
 guybroom
08-01-2005, 6:53 AM
It's really good, but I will have to get used to it. The quick reply bit is really handy and the post numbers ect are cool too. But you have to get the speed up soon.

One thing that I want to check about is that at the top of the screen there is the "Quick links" but when the options come down, half of them are blocked off by the ad. Can this be changed or removed or something?

Also, the new subscription methods are cool. (I think they are new - got to try them out.)
 Leviathan
08-01-2005, 8:52 AM
I think it would be great for each user to choose between two themes in his control panel : One which is the new LucasForums ; The other one for the old appearance... (This is already possible for phpBB)
 Thrik
08-01-2005, 9:16 AM
Sadly, not for vBulletin. None of the vb2 templates are even remotely compatible with vb3, so we had no choice but to completely redo everything from scratch. Whilst it would be a nice option for people to continue using the old style, it's really not feasible at all.

Also, hopefully that's solved your problem a little, guybroom. ;)
 starmark2k
08-02-2005, 3:06 AM
I think the new style looks Good, It suits the community alot more than the old one
 Cmdr. Cracken
08-02-2005, 10:46 AM
i go away and look what you guys do!

very nice. sleek and sexy. ^^
 Leviathan
08-02-2005, 12:38 PM
But the loading time of new forums is more important than for the old ones... :(
 Kurgan
08-02-2005, 4:02 PM
I love it, but I wish I knew how to unsubscribe from these 66 pages of "subscribed threads" that have been logged onto my account. :(

Apparently I've been subscribing to everything without realizing it, and now my inbox is being deluged with "reminders." :P Deleting them all by hand is a major pain...

Any help?
 ZBomber
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Change your e-mail address/add the suscription e-mail to the spam list.
 Thrik
08-02-2005, 11:09 PM
Just looked at the setup, looks like it's set to automatically subscribe newly registered users to threads that they've participated in, but not email them about it. I assume that somehow this carried across onto already registered users, and those that had "email me" enabled for subscribed threads will be getting bombarded. I've just disabled it.

The quickest solution I see is to just go into your user control panel, go to "view all subscribed threads" which should be on the very first page, tick them all, then go to the "delete subscriptions" option in the dropdown menu at the bottom. You can alternatively go into your CP options and set it to "don't email me", then you'll just get links to the threads you've participated in in your CP.
 Kurgan
08-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Just looked at the setup, looks like it's set to automatically subscribe newly registered users to threads that they've participated in, but not email them about it. I assume that somehow this carried across onto already registered users, and those that had "email me" enabled for subscribed threads will be getting bombarded. I've just disabled it.

The quickest solution I see is to just go into your user control panel, go to "view all subscribed threads" which should be on the very first page, tick them all, then go to the "delete subscriptions" option in the dropdown menu at the bottom. You can alternatively go into your CP options and set it to "don't email me", then you'll just get links to the threads you've participated in in your CP.

That's all well and good, but no matter what I do, it refuses to display "all" of the 2,000+ subscribed thread checkboxes on one page, so I have to check them all, click delete, then go to the next page, check them all, delete, etc. There is no option to check ALL of them (just all on one page at a time). So it takes a long time... Whether you choose to delete these subscriptions or "do not email" on those subscriptions you can only do it "page by page." :P
 Thrik
08-03-2005, 11:40 AM
 Kurgan
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Nope. I can delete them page by page... not all at once. Once I've gotten through the last 47 pages I need to figure out how to disable that auto subscription thing (if it isn't already disabled as implied above).

What I need is a way to display EVERYTHING at once, or else change how many threads are displayed per page... (it's currently displaying 50 per page, and I have 2,327 total!)
 Insane Sith
08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
 Thrik
08-03-2005, 2:02 PM
Using &pp= in the URL should allow you to specify how many show up per page -- it does for me. I'm not sure what it maxes out at, but it certainly should be more than 50. I put &pp=5000 in the URL and it showed all 78 subscriptions on the one page for me. Hold on..

To disable it, you just need to go into your user cp's options section and turn off the notification option.. should be obvious enough once you go in there. I'm assuming when the data transferred it just set all new users to subscribe automatically, which is a pain. Here's a cue to disable it if you don't want it, guys. :¬:
 Thrik
08-03-2005, 2:07 PM
Okay, all your subscriptions should be gone now, or at least most of them. Fortunately, vBulletin allows you to prune away a users' subscriptions en masse. If anybody else wants this, just let me know.
 Leviathan
08-05-2005, 9:49 AM
Finally, I have to admit the new vBulletin's version is better than the old one... We just need a certain time of adaptation... :)
 guybroom
08-07-2005, 1:35 PM
Hey! I just noticed, what happened to the bit under my name (above the arvitar)? It used to come up with 'Sith Lord' or something, but now it's black.

The members with less posts have 'Registered user' and with over 1000 they've got the personalised one like always. But I want mine back!!!
 Leviathan
08-07-2005, 2:27 PM
Yes, the ranks' system was a good idea... Maybe administrators are working on a new one ?
 jokemaster
08-08-2005, 1:48 AM
Only complaint is that the different forums (XWA, RSN, JK.N) look too similar now.
Page: 1 of 2