Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Graphics engine for KOTOR 3

Page: 1 of 2
 Emperor Devon
07-28-2005, 9:58 AM
What do you think the graphics engine should be for KOTOR 3? I think they should keep the current engine, but improve the textures. It would really make it feal like a continuation of the other KOTOR games.
 Darth Moeller
07-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Devon
What do you think the graphics engine should be for KOTOR 3? I think they should keep the current engine, but improve the textures. It would really make it feal like a continuation of the other KOTOR games.
I'm not real familiar with what the graphics engines are called (besides the Odessy for kotor) but I think by the time they release the game they will need a new engine, as the old one will be outdated.
 RevanA4
07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
err the grapics engine for kotor3 I guess it going to be a bran new engine but I wouldn't mind seeing the jade empire engine use in fact I would love to see it used
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 10:29 AM
This probably isn't an engine issue, but I will shoot anyway.

I don't know if I am being overly observant or if it is my imagination, but the female characters in K1 have a different (and for me, a more pleasing) stride in their walk than in K2. If (hoping, hoping) there is a K3, I think they should go back to that particular stride. It seems to have more weight to it.

Now the male characters (while it is kinda hard to tell since most of the time I play male characters with long robes) in K1 walked like they were trying to hold a corn cob between the cheeks. :D I wouldn't want that for K3.
 Darth InSidious
07-28-2005, 10:48 AM
No, it's not just you, MdKnight. The female ppl in K2 do do the hyperactive crawling thing and it puts you off using, for example, the Handmaiden.
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Darth InSidious
No, it's not just you, MdKnight. The female ppl in K2 do do the hyperactive crawling thing and it puts you off using, for example, the Handmaiden.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has noticed this aspect of the game. It wasn't so evident the first few times that I played TSL, but the first time that I went back to play K1, it was quite obvious. The females in K1 kinda "launch" from step to step with a little swivel in the hips. I like that. ;)
 Bastila
07-28-2005, 10:58 AM
I like the graphics how they are, but they will be obviously better
 THE VIGILANTE
07-28-2005, 11:04 AM

I agree.

If they change the engine, it will affect the continuation of the story.

Better to keep the same one, but improve it.
 Bob Lion54
07-28-2005, 12:56 PM
The current engine is outdated, so a fancy new one would be nice.

The only problem, how would a new engine effect modding?

If it wouldn't, then I'd like an updated engine. If it would, then I hope they keep this one.

Of cousre, even if they do change it, the masters of Holowan would surely crack it.
 The Source
07-28-2005, 2:27 PM

If Empire at War is an indication of direction, I think the engine will be built from the ground up.
 Smilodon
07-28-2005, 2:32 PM
Well, at least they should improve the outdoor areas with the new engine, they are kinda unrealistic imo because they're a bit too small compared to the characters, while the indoor levels are ok. That's what I can think of at the moment. But generally I would welcome a lift-up of the current game engine ;)
 Rok_stoned
07-28-2005, 3:30 PM

not really take a look a warcraft series

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/real_time/screens/warcraft1.jpg)

http://www.deafgamers.com/warcraft1.jpg)

http://www.computergames.ro/assassin/images/warcraft3/warcraft1.jpg)

as you can see thats an exponential graphics change and guess what? the warcraft series never falter or lost its sense of balace its only become more of what we believe is warcraft which is the opposite affect of what you believe will happen. :)
 stingerhs
07-28-2005, 10:37 PM
well, the Oddessy engine is from the last generation of graphic engines. with this in mind, IMHO, i think that Kotor III would recieve reviews that reflect on how terrible and outdated the graphics are if the Oddessy engine was used. of course, i distinctly remember several reviews docking points on TSL for using an already outdated graphic engine (notablely IGN and GameSpot).

trust me: the difference between a Game of the Year Award and a measly Best RPG award for Kotor 3 could end up riding on the graphics. people everywhere have come to expect games to look as realistic as possible, and Kotor 3 will be no exception.

now, if you ask me, i think that Kotor 3 should use one of the following game engines:

Source (Half-Life 2)
Doom3
Quake4 (yet to be released)
Unreal3 (yet to be released)
CryTek (Far Cry)
StarBreeze (Chronicles of Riddick)
Jade Empire (don't know the name of this one)

all of the above engines are either current-gen or next-gen graphic engines that have the ability to make games look incredibly life-like, and in some cases, absolutely beautiful.

well, that's my two pennies on this issue. :)
 Derc
07-29-2005, 4:26 AM
This Oddessey engine is the mark of the KoTOR series. So naturally, all it would need is uberized graphics.

BUT, if the game engine was changed, I wouldn't mind the system that Guild Wars uses. :) Just as long as the game doesn't turn into button-mashing, I'm fine with it.
 Darth InSidious
07-29-2005, 8:24 AM
NO FPS ENGINE! PLEASE!
This is an RPG, not an FPS ;)

Also, isn't it Odyssey?
As in Odysseus?
Yes, I'm a classics geek.
 stingerhs
07-29-2005, 9:52 AM
well, notice i stated that game should use the graphic engine for the next Kotor game. changing the graphic engine does not mean a change to the gameplay. it means precisely what it sounds like.

besides, it is possible to use a fps graphic engine in an RPG. if you remember, the game "Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines" used Valve's Source engine (the same engine used in Half-Life 2), but the game was an RPG, not an fps. so, it is completely possible to make an RPG with a fps graphic engine.
 General Kenobi
07-29-2005, 9:55 AM
Now don't quote me for saying this ;) BUT I seem to remember reading something on a site one night and they were talking about III and it would have a new engine.

I personally think if the graphics end were more detailed by default it would cause lower end machines, RAM starved machines, and 32MB video card machines to really slow to a crawl. I have a mid to high level graphics card and it will bog down sometimes even set to a standard setting not so high up in effects.

You can even (believe it or not) be slowed down by a new lightsaber if the polygon numbers are high enough. I've one lightsaber that when I equip it, my game speed cuts in half.

SOOO...I just wonder how good or realistic we can even get?

:ben:
General Kenobi
 Darth Moeller
07-29-2005, 9:57 AM
^^^^
By the time the game comes out, all of the computer parts you mentioned will be outdated. The game is supposed to come out in 07 or 08, computers will be much faster and better by then (assuming you upgrade).
 General Kenobi
07-29-2005, 10:42 AM
I sorta hope they will be better then, BUT in a way I don't. I think now PC manuf. should begin working on the size/overheating suped up laptops (the wave of the future in computing).

A HT P4 is pretty powerful so we can hopefully stay with that for at least 4 more years if not 5. PC's are WAYYYY to pricey I think for no more than what they are. ;) Especially since for a bit you were having to upgrade every two months or some such crap.

The new Star Wars III video game looked like it had good graphics maybe they could utilize that engine whatever that is. :D

:ben:
General Kenobi
 Darth Moeller
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by General Kenobi
The new Star Wars III video game looked like it had good graphics maybe they could utilize that engine whatever that is. :D
That's a good idea. I liked the graphics in that very much.
 jmac7142
07-30-2005, 12:47 AM
A new graphics engine, preferably one that supports high resolutions (maybe 1600x1400 at 100 khz), 24 AA, 24x Ansiotropic, better texture detail and any other goodies they can fit in. Those numbers may seem high, but this is far in the future, and 2 of the ATi cards that are coming out in October have 32 pipelines, and in CrossFire, they could probably support that, Or for that matter, twin 7800 GTX's with some sort of next-gen SLI could probably pull it off (or maybe twin RSX's?); this kind of engine wouldn't be out for awhile though, so hardware advances should be taken into consideration... Oh yeah, it should used a modified version of NWScript, and come with an SDK :D And also allow backwards compatability so people won't have to buy $1200 in equipment to play it...
 Rok_stoned
07-30-2005, 6:02 PM
all of these are better than just leaving the kotor engine as it is, it just sucks it was ok when kotor came out and its out datwed now in 5+ years its gonna be crap...
 lukeiamyourdad
07-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Wasn't Jade Empire made on an upgraded Oddessy engine? I could be very wrong.

Nevertheless, if you really believe that you "need" to upgrade your PC every two months, then you don't know much about PCs. At most, I say a PC can work fine for over two years without an upgrade. So sure, you won't play the latest ressource whore at high settings, but who cares? If the gameplay is fun, then everything is good.

On topic, the old Oddessy engine is now far too outdated to be even considered by developers for re-use. A new one, or the use of a newer engine is a must. Us hardcore may not care, but if we want KOTOR 3 to sell quite well, we'll need a new engine.
 Rok_stoned
07-31-2005, 5:01 PM
And I believe Guild Wars uses a modified engine from them too. All sorts of games are made from that engine though.

and destroy all humans an action game used the havok, the same engine used for halo an fps
 Sabretooth
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
It all falls into place...
Bioware will probably develop KotOR III and if they do, they have Unreal 3 and they're not afraid to use it!

My God, I wanna see those Star Wars characters in that engine...
*dreams of the Ebon-Hawk, HK-47 and T3-M4*
 Rok_stoned
07-31-2005, 11:00 PM
shudders at the prospect of t3 hk and ebon hawk making into the the next game because of lack of time spent thinking of characters.

alright i was too harsh hk can come back...
 lukeiamyourdad
07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
shudders at the prospect of t3 hk and ebon hawk making into the the next game because of lack of time spent thinking of characters.

alright i was too harsh hk can come back...

Bloody Hell! George Lucas put R2-D2 and C3PO in all the Star Wars movies! That lazy bastard!

:dozey:
 stingerhs
07-31-2005, 11:08 PM
It all falls into place...
Bioware will probably develop KotOR III and if they do, they have Unreal 3 and they're not afraid to use it!

My God, I wanna see those Star Wars characters in that engine...
*dreams of the Ebon-Hawk, HK-47 and T3-M4*okay, now you're starting to convince me to let Bioware take the reigns back from OE. now if they can pay attention to what Valve did with facial expressions in Half-Life 2, they'll be set as far as graphics is concerned. :D
 Rok_stoned
07-31-2005, 11:11 PM
kotor has always been good in terms of facial expresions for an x box game and increasing it to valves standards would be pretty good.
 stingerhs
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
kotor has always been good in terms of facial expresions for an x box game and increasing it to valves standards would be pretty good.true, but i still laugh whenever the voiceover and the lipsynchs move at different speeds. :rolleyes:
 Rok_stoned
07-31-2005, 11:22 PM
and plus that so called "nod" that the TSL lieutenant sends to you "shivers"
 Sabretooth
08-01-2005, 6:22 AM
The Unreal 3 Engine goes far beyond Source;s lip-sync tech. Look around for UT2007/Gears of War screens and you'll know what I'm talking about. Also check out the UT2007 video while you're at it.
 Rok_stoned
08-01-2005, 10:11 AM
could you put a link to an unreal three picture or two ive never seen one.
 darthpit
08-01-2005, 6:15 PM
I know i wont happen but i think it would be cool to see kotor 3 use the half-life to engine.ragdolls all over the place and actullay moving objects around ow and jumping
 Rok_stoned
08-01-2005, 6:16 PM
It might happen dont give up yet.
 Sabretooth
08-01-2005, 10:18 PM
 REDJOHNNYMIKE
08-03-2005, 2:09 PM
I've been gone for a little while, so I don't know if my sig still works ;D
SO, Just picture Bastila looking as sharp as Alyx Vance :D

I forgot about gears of war being Unreal, that sure looks sweet, they could use that and I wouldn't hate em.

As for the cryengine, I never thought the characters looked half as good as the environments in game,
Although they were a bunch of sweaty, tropical disease infected mercenary dudes, so that could be the problem.

Although I've never tried it, I thought Valve was supposed to be extremely modder suppported, maybe KT would be a part of the next HL :D

Just as long as it doesn't have the same motion as the first two, I hated not being able to jump over things, I could easily step over,
Some new physics is needed, but Kotor games are supposed to have exquisite environments, and to many items physicing around would clutter it up pretty durn quick.

They should use a combo of them, So they get the all round cool and gritty of what I've seen from GoW, The insane level of detail and quality characters of HL, and the miles and miles of non canyonish cryworld.

And a new engine is definitely needed, when I can run Half life 2, and Far Cry incredibly faster than Kotor.

All I can think of for now :)
 witchfinder
08-03-2005, 4:15 PM
As long as they keep to the layout and feel of the game, I'm not bothered.
 RedHawke
08-03-2005, 10:48 PM
As long as they keep to the layout and feel of the game, I'm not bothered.
I second this motion! :D

In the end this is all that really matters no matter what game engine they use.
 Bob Lion54
08-04-2005, 7:35 AM
3RD!

I want the game to look alot better, but still have the same feel. (and modability!)
 Smilodon
08-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Better outdoor levels is all I want atm, character detail was detailed enough already, perhaps better textures. Then add the effects like shades, lightings etc.

And of course gameplay > graphics.
 RevanA4
08-04-2005, 12:53 PM
how about body parts that actually move like real people *cough*boobs*cough*
 Bastila
08-04-2005, 1:11 PM
how about body parts that actually move like real people *cough*boobs*cough*

trust a guy to say that :rolleyes: lol
 RevanA4
08-04-2005, 1:19 PM
err it was only a matter of time before someone said that
 RevanA4
08-04-2005, 1:47 PM
but nothing current moves not even the hair.

I ask you does your hair move when you run

answer of course it does
 Smilodon
08-04-2005, 3:52 PM

Now how much has that to do with role playing OO
 stingerhs
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM
IMHO, graphics should be there to enhance the gameplay. having a detailed environment is more important in other genres than RPG's since combat takes place within the environment rather than in a set of rules. but it is nice to have the graphics add to the feel of a level rather than just be kind of bland.

and i still say that more detailed characters is a bit important due to all the dialog that you'll be having throughout the game.
 biscuitneilston
08-05-2005, 4:56 AM
I am in favour of an engine change, preferably the source engine. If any of you have played half life 2, you will know that the game would be nothing without the realism of the characters in the game. Its almost creepy how real Alyx looks at you, like when she thinks you cant see her and she looks at you out the corner of her eye, or winks at you when you enter Dr Kleiner's lab.

Imagine the next KotOR with this sort of character realism, the game experience would be so much more immersive with the ability to pose the face and the smooth animations achievable with an engine like source. The lightsaber combat could look a lot more like the recent movies with smooth and lifelike attack animations. It really pains me when I see the cutscenes in KotOR 2 sometimes when you can see the obvious start stop nature of the animations, for example, Visas on Nihilus' ship, she is meditating, then she stands up, stays there for a second or two (looking vacant) then walks off. Or in the battle with Nihilus, and he is down at half health, the game stops for a conversation with visas, and everyone is standing normally (IN THE MOST ANTICIPATED BATTLE OF THE GAME!). Its these things that make me long for the scripted scenes similar to half life.

The other reason for thinking source would be a good choice is its already amazing graphics engine and the physics engine. I am not saying that the game levels should be cluttered with moveable crates and boxes, but It would be a great addition to make use of it in certain force moves enhancing the gameplay, for example, force push someone into a nearby object to achieve a small damage increase, or as in Episode 3, force lightening can throw them back (alla Palpatine) if your stats are high enough, making use of the ragdoll and physics capabilities.

All in all, I just think that with the same engine and graphics from previous games, the game will get very boring. A new engine will alow for so many new enhancements to level design, character creation and just the overall quality of the game.

P.S. The new engine would allow for lifelike breasts...think of the mods :)
 Prime
08-05-2005, 9:01 AM
but nothing current moves not even the hair.

I ask you does your hair move when you run

answer of course it doesLots of characters having moving hair. Even in KOTOR...
 Bastila
08-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Lots of characters having moving hair. Even in KOTOR...

They do i was playing it today and noticed it, never really noticed it before.
Page: 1 of 2