Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Developer for KOTOR 3

Page: 1 of 3
 THE VIGILANTE
07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Assuming of course that KotOR 3 will be made, who should be the developer?

I personally feel that they should bring back BioWare to do the job.

What do you guys think?
 Jeff
07-28-2005, 12:22 AM
I want Bioware to do it.

I think that maybe a developer like Ubisoft might do it. Though, assuming since Obsidian was old Black Isle People that Black Isle doesn't exist anymore, Obsidian wouldn't be too bad. Though its pretty sure they won't.
 Emperor Devon
07-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Hmm... KOTOR 1 had a much more epic feel, but Obsidian introduced some pretty cool new stuff... Maybe they should work together.
 THE VIGILANTE
07-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Hmmm...

I think if both worked together, it would be the best.

BioWare started the whole series and they should definitely have some part, however big or small, in the end.
Obsidian continued the story and brought more features and items into the story. They too, should have some part in the end.

Also, BioWare lacks Features but has the abilty to tell stories. Obsidian lacks the ability to tell stories, but has more features.
Each company has a trait that the other lacks. So it would be fitting if they worked to together.

Just my thoughts.
 Achilles
07-28-2005, 12:42 AM
I think Obsidian should do K3. Considering the position they were in, they made a hell of a game in record time. Was it the game that they wanted to make? No. But it was a great game nonetheless.
 stingerhs
07-28-2005, 12:50 AM
^^^^
agreed.

and i still say that the TSL storyline would have been nailed on the head if OE hadn't cut out a lot of content. even then, you have to give them kudos for churning out such an excellent game.

OE gets my vote, but they need to get the rights to a current-gen graphics engine (or make their own). i'll be very dissappointed to see the Oddessy engine being used again for Kotor 3.
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 1:22 AM
My vote is for them to work together...and put more music from the 1st game into the 3rd.
 Smilodon
07-28-2005, 2:07 AM
I would also welcome a coop between Bioware and Obsidian. They all had good ideas regarding gameplay features, and a storyline would also be np for them if you look at KOTOR and TSL. The only thing that might worry me is the propably new game engine and keeping of the original KOTOR flair from part I and II.
 RedHawke
07-28-2005, 3:49 AM
I'm with the group that thinks Obsidian should do it... For the reasons Achilles gave above. ;)
 Bastila
07-28-2005, 6:23 AM
Easy answere BioWare, after playing Jade Empire it still shows they are still great i chose them.
 RevanA4
07-28-2005, 8:04 AM
Originally posted by Bastila
Easy answere BioWare, after playing Jade Empire it still shows they are still great i chose them.

my thoughts exactly
 Bob Lion54
07-28-2005, 8:42 AM
Since it's unlikely they will both work on it, eaither would be fine.

Both company's are more than capable, provided they have the time.
 THE VIGILANTE
07-28-2005, 8:50 AM
^^^^

What makes you say that they won't do it?

I can understand Obsidian refusing to work on it, but BioWare?
I always thought that BioWare enjoyed making KOTOR type games (i.e. KotOR 1, Jade Empire).
 Bob Lion54
07-28-2005, 9:02 AM
^^^^^
Money.

LA isn't going to want to pay 2 developers.
 THE VIGILANTE
07-28-2005, 9:06 AM
^^^^

Oh yeah...

Money is starting to take the fun out of everything.

Oh well, I guess that BioWare could do it alone...
 Soogz
07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Yes, I want bioware to develop it. I want it to be almost like K1, concept speaking.
 Hannibal
07-28-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm with the Bioware folks. Jade Empire is my KOTOR2.
I like the fact that Bioware looks to improve upon the previous work they've done. KOTOR2 should have been done on the Jade Empire engine. So I say Bioware should do KOTOR3 on that engine.

NWN made me a fan of Bioware but KOTOR cemented it. JE made me get down on one knee and propose.

If your wondering Bioware will not marry me. :(
 Bastila
07-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Even tho i said BioWear i still think Obsidian did well, only thing wrong was ( a lot lol) i just think they should have made the story carrying on from Revan not the exile, even tho i did like the exile story, also they should have finished the game as well.

So which on out of them to gets it i don't mind but still i'd rather BioWear.
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Okay, I admit, I am ignorant when it comes to video games other than KOTOR, Vice City, and SimCity. What is Jade Empire?
 Bastila
07-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by MdKnightR
Okay, I admit, I am ignorant when it comes to video games other than KOTOR, Vice City, and SimCity. What is Jade Empire?

Jade Empire is made by Biowear it's great i've played it 3 times ( 3 endings) it's like KOTOR but easy i think but very good story hears the site i'd get it if you like KOTOR http://jade.bioware.com/)
 Darth InSidious
07-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I'd LOVE a BioWare/Obsidian game. But it won't happen. BioWare is no longer collaborating with other companies (I'm pretty sure they made a statement to this effect), and Obsidian - well, after the disastrous way LA fiddled with TSL, I doubt they'll harbour any love for them....Failing the collaboration, a BioWare made KotOR III would be best. I'll pick strong storyline over neat features any day ;)
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Jade Empire is made by Biowear it's great i've played it 3 times ( 3 endings) it's like KOTOR but easy i think but very good story hears the site i'd get it if you like KOTOR http://jade.bioware.com/)

Thanks for the information, but curse you for showing me an incredible game that is only available on Xbox! :p Darn it!

Of course, when someone said Jade Empire, I was, of course, thinking of the Galactic Empire. That got me hoping that it was a new Star Wars game by Bioware. So much for wishful thinking, huh?
 Bastila
07-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by MdKnightR
Thanks for the information, but curse you for showing me an incredible game that is only available on Xbox! :p Darn it!

Of course, when someone said Jade Empire, I was, of course, thinking of the Galactic Empire. That got me hoping that it was a new Star Wars game by Bioware. So much for wishful thinking, huh?

KOTOR is on xbox and PC, so i take it you play it on PC then.
 THE VIGILANTE
07-28-2005, 12:20 PM
^^^^

That would be the only option left.

Anyways...

Are there any ideas as to who will design the game if (in an unlikely event) BioWare and Obsidian refuse?

Darth Moeller said Ubisoft would be a good choice (and I have to agree since they are the ones making the videogame to Peter Jackson's King Kong).

Just a thought - Would Pandemic Studios do the job? They made the Clone Wars game and they are making the Empire at War game, so maybe they can design this one too?
 Jeff
07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by THE VIGILANTE
Darth Moeller said Ubisoft would be a good choice (and I have to agree since they are the ones making the videogame to Peter Jackson's King Kong).
They also made the Myst games, the greatest adventure series of all time IMO.
Originally posted by THE VIGILANTE
Just a thought - Would Pandemic Studios do the job? They made the Clone Wars game and they are making the Empire at War game, so maybe they can design this one too?
I would rather have a well-known developer, but depending on how Empire at War turns out, maybe a possibility. But it is not very likely they will develop another Star Wars game I would think.
 MdKnightR
07-28-2005, 12:33 PM
KOTOR is on xbox and PC, so i take it you play it on PC then.

Very observant, you are, yes!
 RevanA4
07-28-2005, 1:20 PM
me says bioware:p (pokes fun at people:xp:)

err I mean

I say bioware should do it
 Smilodon
07-28-2005, 3:45 PM
Err just a question: is there any Star Wars game that was not published by Lucas Arts? :eyeraise:
Because some of you are talking about Ubisoft, just curious В°_В°
 Hannibal
07-28-2005, 3:49 PM
The Lego SW game wasn't published by Lucas Arts.

edit: Check this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150149) out over at the Swamp.

I hope it's true. This guy only has one post though.
 Bob Lion54
07-28-2005, 3:51 PM
^^^^^^

LucasArts hold the right to Star Wars as it's owned by George Lucas. Even if they dont work on the game, they put their name on it. I think they are the distributer, but I'm not sure.

All the other company do the majority of the work.

EDIT: Hannibal beat me too it, but I think I'm right for the most part. Didn't know that about Lego Star Wars.
 Smilodon
07-28-2005, 3:57 PM
Ah ic, thx for clearing up.

Considering the messed up QA of LA we all experienced, I would also wish to have another publisher, though it might be very unlikely ... 8[
 Hannibal
07-28-2005, 4:10 PM
I think Bioware is a strong enough company to develop the game and fend of LucasArts at the same time. As a game developer it's their reputation thats on the line.
 Rok_stoned
07-28-2005, 4:14 PM
Also, BioWare lacks Features but has the abilty to tell stories. Obsidian lacks the ability to tell stories, but has more features.

a good idea in theory but only one way to find out...

btw they need some people to do a new engine as "they" did before.
 Darth InSidious
07-29-2005, 8:34 AM
In the (IMO very likely) event that Bioware and OE aren't asked, I think that they may well ask someone large and brand-name.

I think, however, a Bioware/OE combo would be good, since they seem to understand the gameplay best...
 Bon Solar
07-29-2005, 8:35 AM
I think Bioware but just cut down the damn load times, boring..

If neither Bioware or Obsidian do it maybe R*? They have made GTA which is RPG like.
 stingerhs
07-29-2005, 10:58 AM
well, if they were going to hand the game off to RockStar simply because San Andreas had a couple of RPG elements to it, you might as well go for a company that has put out more RPG's than anyone else: Square Enix. although, i will admit i'm not too keen about handing off a Star Wars game to those guys: things could end up getting really wierd. at least we would know for sure that they could make Kotor 3 a very good game.
 General Kenobi
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
How about Raven Software? Maybe they could tackle KOTOR III The Ancient Empire Returns or whatever :D

They seem to put out quality games from what I've seen personally.

:ben:
General Kenobi
 Bon Solar
07-29-2005, 11:08 AM
They have made some good games like Elite Force and stuff :D so yer Raven might be good.
 Darth InSidious
07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
On the other hand, they put out games like JA. It only just has a better plot than TSL, in that it has one, IMO.
 Bon Solar
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Jedi Academy was alright, nothing special.
 Hannibal
07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by General Kenobi
How about Raven Software? Maybe they could tackle KOTOR III The Ancient Empire Returns or whatever :D

They seem to put out quality games from what I've seen personally.

:ben:
General Kenobi

Raven has yet to develop their own engine. If you want KOTOR3 to be on the Quake 3 engine Raven is a good choice.

BTW I like the Jedi Knight games but Raven is no RPG developer.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
07-30-2005, 1:38 AM
I liked K1 better, so I say BioWare, their game had a lighter feel to it, whereas K2 made me feel like I was the Exile's shrink...
 Rok_stoned
07-30-2005, 7:07 PM
I liked K1 better, so I say BioWare, their game had a lighter feel to it, whereas K2 made me feel like I was the Exile's shrink...

yeah...

...kotor one felt good and fun kotor 2 was a bit depressing sorta like the new star wars movie hope fully the next one is lighter because the republic is rebuilding.

and @ hanibal could you not say death to ea its a local company where I live so...
 Hannibal
07-30-2005, 10:55 PM
and @ hanibal could you not say death to ea its a local company where I live so...

Sorry, can't do anything for you.
If it helps I hope a better company takes its place after it dies and the employees get a company that cares about them.
 lukeiamyourdad
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
There has been a lot of studio being thrown around, but most of them are NOT RPG developers. Raven made some FPS, so did Pandemic.

On a side note, Pletogryph is making Empire at War NOT Pandemic Studios.
 Rok_stoned
08-01-2005, 6:54 PM
maybe blizzard should take a crack at it they're pretty awesome and have proven they can work well with the D&D system and they're world renown for the're polish on each and every game.
 Bob Lion54
08-01-2005, 7:02 PM
I still think Bioware is the best option with Obsidian a close second. Either company is fine, provided LA gives them the time to finish it.

Blizzard has made some good games, so I wouldn't hate the idea. It's not the best choice, though.
 Rok_stoned
08-01-2005, 7:07 PM
some? all there games went gold ithink. but yeah bioware is my first choice regardless. as for la playing fair. It's easier getting Obsidian, bioware AND blizzard working together in a frozen hell with multiple personalities and then michael jackson playing with satan in the room next to him.

but it might happen.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-01-2005, 8:05 PM
Be realistic. Blizzard doesn't like not being in control of their project, probably just like Bioware.
I understand it. It must be quite annoying having LA looking over your shoulder policing whatever you're doing.
 stingerhs
08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Raven has yet to develop their own engine. If you want KOTOR3 to be on the Quake 3 engine Raven is a good choice.

BTW I like the Jedi Knight games but Raven is no RPG developer.well, at the moment Raven is developing Quake 4, which utilizes Id's Doom 3 engine, so its not like they don't have the capabilities to produce a great looking game. but still, Raven isn't an RPG developer.

of course, i've stated it before and i'll state it again: why can't LucasArts develop Kotor 3 internally?? they have enough fiscal power to purchase rights to just about any graphics engine out there, much less hire the right people to get the job done right.
Page: 1 of 3