Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

i have a question about dantooeen

Page: 1 of 1
 boba_fett_lover
07-26-2005, 11:03 PM
hi, i am new here,:fett: :bdroid2: :atat: , i love it, i am haveing 1 minor problem, on the second planet... it is soo laggy that my guy just laggs all the way around the map, that i apear on the other side of the map, then my guy runs in place, and i have to talk to somebody to get going agan... then it starts all over agan. please help me, i am on a macintosh (mac) 1.5 GHz with 2 GB of ram with a ati radion 9600 powerbook g4, i need help.
 RedHawke
07-26-2005, 11:09 PM
First of all, Welcome to the Forums! :D

This question would have been better served if posted in The Work Bench (http://64.20.36.211/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=554) as that forum is better suited for such a question. ;)
 Smilodon
07-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Open the swkotor2.ini in your game folder and add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" (without the quotes) under [Graphic Options], that helped me a bit.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-27-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
First of all, Welcome to the Forums! :D

This question would have been better served if posted in The Work Bench (http://64.20.36.211/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=554) as that forum is better suited for such a question. ;)
*poof* Like magic! ;)

and Welcome to the forums boba_fett_lover! :D
 stingerhs
07-27-2005, 6:50 AM
Originally posted by Smilodon
Open the swkotor2.ini in your game folder and add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" (without the quotes) under [Graphic Options], that helped me a bit. well, considering that he said the "second planet", i think he's referring to Kotor I, not TSL.

therefore, make sure you look for the swkotor.ini file in the game directory (default install path is .../Program Files/LucasArts/swkotor/swkotor.ini ). ;)
 boba_fett_lover
07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
thats for such a warm welcome, this is all alien languag to me, i will try what you said, but what will happen if i screw it up? and do something wrong then will i have to reinstal the game alllll over agan? i just got the game from the apple store in san francisco, are you all on macs too?

thanks bye!:fett:
 stingerhs
07-27-2005, 8:12 PM
well, ChAiNz uses a Mac a lot, but i'm not sure if he uses it to play games on it or not. ;)

anyways, i'm going to guess that the file structure is a bit different on a Mac than on a PC, but i'm kinda shooting in the dark since i've never really used a Mac before since 3rd or 4th grade (and even then the only thing i remember was playing some educational games on it).

still, adding the new line in the swkotor.ini file is not only completely safe, its also the same recommendation that LucasArts tech support is going to give you. so, you shouldn't have any problems there. ;)
 General Kenobi
07-27-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm curious why can't he just simply go into the games display options when it's loaded and "turn it off" :confused:

I've seen it grayed out in the options if you do not have a card that supports it, and those that do you can simply turn it and a few other advanced features either on or off. Or at least you can on mine ;)

I'm not sure what the file would be called on a Mac though prob. somthing close to the same. I've got a few Macs for design but do not play games on them though so can't help there. ;)

:ben:
General Kenobi
 stingerhs
07-27-2005, 11:57 PM
the reason is because the 'Vertex Buffer Objects' was never programmed into the GUI for the graphics options.

and not only that, but you have to add a new line to the swkotor.ini file, which means the devs really didn't want you to use originally, even if they now recommend it as a fix for the Dantooine lag issue.

and i think the option you're referring to is the 'Frame Buffer Effects', which is in the Graphics Options GUI.
 ChAiNz.2da
07-28-2005, 3:13 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
well, ChAiNz uses a Mac a lot, but i'm not sure if he uses it to play games on it or not. ;)

anyways, i'm going to guess that the file structure is a bit different on a Mac than on a PC
I'm not "supposed" to... but when have I ever listened to my bosses :p hehehe...

No one can see me when I'm at home :devsmoke:

The file structure is a little different, but not as much as one might think. Since most games for MAC are ports, alot of the inner 'guts' remain the same...

the swkotor.ini is located in the Library > Preferences > Knights of the Old Republic folder

@boba_fett_lover
We've also started a MAC thread for KotOR here:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140931)

so if you have anything you'd like to share, please feel free to participate :)

I use both MACs and PCs so I know enough about them to be dangerous... hehehe
 General Kenobi
07-28-2005, 4:36 PM
and i think the option you're referring to is the 'Frame Buffer Effects', which is in the Graphics Options GUI.

Ooh kewl ;) Yep that I was. :D

I've never had that problem but in one place and that's the tomb on Dxun. All that steamy smoke from the edges can lag me down on that map. Never happens other spots though.

@stinger
Is that only a problem/issue with certain cards or sized card like 32MB?

:ben:
General Kenobi
 stingerhs
07-28-2005, 10:14 PM
well, the both games require a 64MB card, so you're not going to be able to run the game with a 32MB. :(

as for the Datooine Lag, it seems to be primarily an ATI problem as opposed to a nVidia problem. the main issue is the Catalyst Drivers (for the ATI cards), but for the most part, both games can run without the issue with the 5.4 Catalyst drivers. thats not to say there aren't exceptions. nVidia cards seem to occasionally have the same problem as well as the ATI cards (post 5.4 Cats) for some unknown reason.

i can tell you that both games seem to have some wierd issues specifically with the ATI Radeon 9800 (including the Pro and XT versions). and again, i'm not really sure what the problem is, but other cards based on the same chip (the Radeon 9600 series) don't have this problem for some reason.

my guess is that it could be some off the wall setting in the Video BIOS on the R9800's that is causing the problem. and unfortunately, messing around with your video BIOS is highly discouraged against unless you have a very good idea of what you're doing because you will mess up your card if you mess with the wrong options.

anyways, i think that's enough tech-talk for one night. hope that helped (in one way or another). :)
 zippydsm
07-31-2005, 5:29 AM
I have a ati 9700 128MB AIW and it hates dantoine >>

YAY!!! the fix worked!!!
I tell you this game is poorly opitmized >>
the engine is rough >< is KOTOR2 any better or did they ignore the probs of 1? >>
 Darth333
07-31-2005, 7:08 AM
I have a ati 9700 128MB AIW and it hates dantoine >>
Read point 2 "Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file " in the thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=144109) that should fix it :)
 zippydsm
07-31-2005, 8:00 PM
^^
works fine now ^^
anyother tricks to get the gmaes runing right? :P
 stingerhs
07-31-2005, 9:38 PM
well, being a fellow R9700 user, i've found that the Omega third-party video drivers really help the game run smoother. in more technical terms, i'm currently getting about 10fps better with the latest Omega drivers compared to the Catalyst Drivers on TSL. website: www.omegadrivers.net)

another thing that i've done is overclocked the card a bit to 365 core/ 340 memory using the Omega Drivers. its not a high enough overclock to cause overheating, but it is high enough to give me anywhere from 5-15 fps better on just about any given game.

as far as game tweaks go, there really isn't much you can do to make it run better. although the engine was optimized a lot from Kotor I to Kotor II, the new graphic features implemented make Kotor II run like Kotor I. that is to say, they both run about the same.

hope that helps you out a bit. ;)
 zippydsm
08-01-2005, 7:10 PM
I been useign them sicne ATI started forceign pll to have passport to downlaod drivers *L*
AHh ok so 2 looks alil better but dosent run better *L*
 SITHSLAYER133
08-06-2005, 8:08 AM
im even gettin these issues on a pci express video card X850XT
 stingerhs
08-06-2005, 11:03 AM
go figure. the game isn't exactly optimized for speed graphically like other graphic engines out there, so you can expect worse performance than you would normally expect. it is a shame to know that a game like Half-Life 2 can run @ about 60-70 fps while Kotor I & II only run at 25-45 fps despite the Source Engine looking much better than the Kotor engine.

unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done about it.
 boba_fett_lover
08-10-2005, 1:28 AM
wow, so much info to receve, thank you fo rthe link to the mac section, offtopic: hey.. did i just get downgraded? i was a bantha foder before, and ow i am a bantha cleaner?!
 jmac7142
08-10-2005, 2:16 AM
Another solution to the Dantooine glitch(s) is to unlock pipelines for your video card. I only know how to do this with RivaTuner, so it's limited to nVidia cards (I think). You can do this by following these steps:

#1- Download & install RivaTuner, I don't have a specific site, so Google it

#2- Open RivaTuner. Now, under the combobox that lists your video card, find the button with the small triangle pointing to the button's bottom-right

#3- In the context menu that appears, click the picture of the video card.

#4- Now, at the bottom of the window, click 'Install', you may need to re-start at this point, so do so.

#5- Now check the 'Allow enabling hardware masked units' checkbox and the 'Unlock professional capabilities' checkbox.

#6- Now click the combobox right above it and select custom.

#7- Click the 'Customize' button, then proceed to check all unchecked 'Bit field / bit masked' values, then click 'OK'.

#8- Click 'Apply', re-start if prompted, and click 'OK' and/or 'Apply' on all open windows to exit RivaTuner.

Now doublecheck your settings. Do this by opening RivaTuner again and looking right under where your video card is listed. If all went well, it should read something like:
'256-bit NV47 (A1,24x1,8vp) with 256MB DDR', where the '24' from '(A1,24x1,8vp)' is the current amount of active pipelines. For most current video cards this will be around 12-16, for instance the 6800 GT would read '16x1' or something, while a 7800 GTX reads '24x1', and a 6600 series card would read something along the lines of '12x1'. This gets the performance of the card up quite a bit, for instance my computer went from 91,000 in AquaMark3 to 97,000 with this alteration. Exploring the 'Power User' tab in RivaTuner can also increase performance signifigantly, but do this at your own risk! The same guide applies for ATi users as well, provided RivaTuner works with ATi cards.

im even gettin these issues on a pci express video card X850XT

Even with 7800 GTX's in SLI I get it as well, the only solution that works well that I've found is to modify your drivers and use the .ini trick.
 Darth Dirt
09-15-2005, 8:03 PM
What i always did was stay in 1 place for 10 seconds then switch characters then it should go fine until you go outside again.
Page: 1 of 1