Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Someone has to have an answer for this... (non-fatal dismemberment)

Page: 1 of 1
 VaderR
07-24-2005, 6:32 PM
Is it possible to dismember the arm of a Jedi, because you see the slow motion death of this happening, with the hand the saber is in, but to have the Jedi remain alive?? Any kind of mod or something? Any help is greatly appreciated...and may the force be with you...

VaderM
 shukrallah
07-24-2005, 6:42 PM
No, its not been done yet.

I thought about this a while back, and it doesn't make sense that cutting someone's hand off kills them. In the movies almost every main chracter lost an arm or something...
 razorace
07-25-2005, 4:59 PM
yeah, but it always takes them out of the fight.
 savage_scud
07-27-2005, 3:59 AM
the thing is that it's a fatality thing, you chop the arm off, damage you can see,though there's also a torso slash or thrust that kills them either be fore or after the amputation.
 Kurgan
07-28-2005, 8:26 PM
You could do it Rune style I guess. Run over a health pack and your arms regrow. ;)

The only real benefit to having this that I can see is for role playing/making movies with the game engine. In actual combat it would kind of suck.

In Rune you didn't quite have the manuverability with your powers (they were all weapon enhancements, not stuff like grip, speed, jump, pull/push, etc) and so you could get away and grab a leg of mutton or mug of ale to heal yourself a lot easier.
 VaderR
07-28-2005, 9:41 PM
I was wondering why someone had not coded this in yet or had made some kind of mod to enhance the saber combat system even more...just like in the movies if you took off an arm, you could finish your opponent off with a saber through the chest or something like the Darth Maul move done on Qui Gon...anyways, does anyone know if Lucas Arts plan on making another Jedi game based on more realism and even a better looking graphic engine and more force manipulation options...say Vader using the force on a tie fighter and throwing it and a group of rebels, or pulling objects off wall to use against your opponents?? Just my 2 cents...hope you all have a good one and may the force be with you :)

VaderR
 Kurgan
07-30-2005, 12:48 PM
There have only been a few dedicated "Jedi" games made really, that let you use Force and Saber. Here's the ones I can think of off hand (not including games like Jedi Arena for the 2600 of course, which was really just a glorified game of pong, though interesting).

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (and the expansion MotS)
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Star Wars: Obi-Wan (Xbox only) <--- by all counts a horrible disappointment of a game

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith (console only)

And then we have KOTOR 1 & 2 (pc & console) which have no multiplayer and turn based combat.

We have Jedi Power Battles which was purely an arcade style game. It was more akin to Final Fight (though Final Fight would be embarrassed to be associated in the same sentence as such an awful game as JPB). You had one force power and a bunch of saber combos (your saber was about a useful in combat as a rolled-up newspaper).

Episode I: The Phantom Menace (pc & console) had Jedi in it, but you didn't use them all the time. There were two Jedi characters (one force power, identical saber moves, hack 'n' slash style combat) and then a bunch of non-Jedi you had to use.

Star Wars: Master of Teras Kesai I wouldn't count either because there's only a couple of Jedi characters in this otherwise generic 1 on 1 fighting game.

So thus far your candidates for the best "Jedi Game" come from either the JK series or the Episode III game (Xbox users will be more familiar with this one than me).

If you want online multiplayer though, your choices are very limited. The "realism dismemberment" thing is kind of odd though. If you're not role playing, what's the point? The dismembered guy is as good as dead anyway in terms of fighting. So this would just be a "fatality" like Mortal Kombat. Okay, so that might be cool I guess, otherwise you have something even more ridiculous like in Rune (which was done obvoiusly for comic effect).
 riceplant
08-10-2005, 7:21 PM
Only really useful for making movies, like Kurgan said, but ICARUS can dismember people non-fatally.Happens to Rosh on Taspir.
 shukrallah
08-10-2005, 8:35 PM
Thats a scripted command. You can script entire bodies falling apart. I could be wrong, but I think the character lives (theres no damage... so, the game just make the arm, or leg, or hand... or head if you want, fall off)
 riceplant
08-10-2005, 9:36 PM
If you've discovered any ICARUS that isn't scripting, I'd be interested in hearing about it. And yeah, It can dismember any valid hitloc, so you can dismember any way you can get fatally.
 rccar328
08-17-2005, 11:25 AM
I think non-fatal dismemberment could be useful for people using dual sabers...cut one arm off, and you still have an enemy to deal with...only now with only one saber.
 Prime
08-17-2005, 11:40 AM
I was wondering why someone had not coded this in yetBecause no one wants to play as a Jedi with no arms...
 El Sitherino
08-17-2005, 2:19 PM
I gotta say though, the opportunity to make a Monty Python reference, alone, is well worth doing it. That's just my opinion though.
 DarkStarMojo
08-17-2005, 8:34 PM
Oh, I can just imagine how that would turn out. "I'll bite your knee caps off!!!" indeed. :)
Page: 1 of 1