Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Freezing Problem (JA)

Page: 1 of 1
 oosher
07-23-2005, 8:25 PM
Hi

I recently bought jedi academy after thoroughly enjoying jedi outcast. As jedi outcast ran perfectly with the highest game settings and is using the Q3A engine along with academy, I expected academy to run fine.

I'm experiencing an unusual freezing error at the start of the game. After the transport ship crashes and rosh and jaden have to get to the academy. When it cuts to the in-game cutscene where rosh is trying to open the concrete grate. In the middle of this cutscene it always freezes, always just as rosh is about to open the grate.

I've fiddled with every conceivable in-game setting I can think of. I have updated to version 1.0.1. I haven't tried running the game to see if I still got this error in version 1. Here are my system specs:

Asus A7V8X
Athlon XP 1.8 ghz
512 mb DDR ram 3200+
GF4 4200 Ti 128mb

Thanks for your help! I really want to get this working!
 razorace
07-23-2005, 9:56 PM
Is the game crashing or is Rosh simply not showing up to toggle the switch?

Unfortunately, there's a bug in the game where Rosh gets stuck on the map when he's supposed to be in the cutscene. Since he's stuck and can't get to the camera area, the cutscene never ends. :(

The best workaround is to make sure that Rosh is with you before you enter into the cutscene.
 oosher
07-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Rosh is in the cutscene indeed. He approaches the grate and you hear the force sound, but the it freezes completely. I just sent a friend of mine with the game a savegame of my game just before the cutscene and he sent it back to me saved just after the cutscene. I haven't tried it yet - will soon. But i'd still like to know how to fix this as it will probably pop up again anyway.
 razorace
07-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Well, can you see the force Push/Pull bubble before it crashes? My guess is that your video card can't handle that fancy shader stuff.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to toggle off those effects but I'm not sure which r_ cvar does it. I beleive Kurgan probably remembers.
 oosher
07-24-2005, 1:31 AM
They are in no way fancy. If it's a reliable comparison, jedi outcast ran perfectly. It is in the actual cutscene.

Like I said, i got my friend to send me a savegame of after the cutscene, played through the entire rest of the level and the training level. Then it did the exact same freezing thing during a cutscene in the first mission on tatooene. (sp)

It seems this will be unplayable until I get this fixed :)

Thanks
 razorace
07-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Well, there's this extra "air shimmering" effect for Force Push/Pull that wasn't in JKO.

But if you were able to use it during the Yavin training mission, it must be something else wrong with your game.

Have you installed any mods?
 Kurgan
07-24-2005, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Well, can you see the force Push/Pull bubble before it crashes? My guess is that your video card can't handle that fancy shader stuff.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to toggle off those effects but I'm not sure which r_ cvar does it. I beleive Kurgan probably remembers.

Open up the console (shift ~):

\cg_rendertotextureFX 0 (to toggle off the push/pull effects and the "predator stealth" effect of the Cloaking Shield for MP).
 oosher
07-26-2005, 4:18 AM
Hi. I've done some more experimenting and found out it only happens when I use force pull but not force push (and yes I can see that bubble fine. I only just found this out after I read your post, haven't had a need to use force pull so far in the game, this also explains why in that cutscene with rosh it freezes when he uses force pull on the grate.

I'll try that command you just mentioned. Thanks again, i'll let you know the outcome.
 Kurgan
09-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Try:

cg_rendertotexturefx 0

In console. Does that fix it?
Page: 1 of 1