Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Outbound Flight?

Page: 1 of 1
 Samnmax221
07-20-2005, 1:05 AM
 Jan Gaarni
07-20-2005, 3:28 AM
The Outbound Flight Project is something that's been mentioned years and years before, but very little has been told about the actual event. It was mentioned in, I believe, one of Timothy Zahns earlier books. The full story of it will be told in that book.

Without revealing too much, the project involves trying to breach the Hyperspace Barrier surrounding their galaxy and travel to another galaxy in search of other lifeforms. But someone (not gonna mention who) sees his chance to get rid of certain individuals on board without it raising too many questions, seeing this task is a very dangerous one in the first place. ;)
 Astrotoy7
07-20-2005, 8:26 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
...It was mentioned in, I believe, one of Timothy Zahns earlier books.

I guess you're referring to Survivors Quest... I got it sitting on my desk but havent read it yet :( Other stuff to read first :)

mtfbwya
 Jan Gaarni
07-20-2005, 6:57 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
I guess you're referring to Survivors Quest... I got it sitting on my desk but havent read it yet :( Other stuff to read first :)

mtfbwya
I wouldn't know. :)

I'm only assuming it, seeing he's the one writing about the profect in this new book. ;)

All I know for sure is, that it's been know of for several years now (the Outbound Flight Project I mean, not the book :p ).
 Astrotoy7
07-22-2005, 5:25 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
I wouldn't know. :)

I'm only assuming it, seeing he's the one writing about the profect in this new book. ;)

All I know for sure is, that it's been know of for several years now (the Outbound Flight Project I mean, not the book :p ).

Outbound Flight was first mentioned in The Thrawn Trilogy. The original Jorus CBoath was one of the jedi masters on it...(not the clone Joruus of course) :)

mtfbwya
 Samnmax221
07-23-2005, 2:27 PM
They had it up on amazon kinda early considering it doesn't get released till next year.
 The Source
01-12-2006, 6:58 PM
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would add to it... Hehehe...

At the moment, I am reading 'Survivor's Quest'. It takes place 50 years after the 'Outbound Flight'. At the moment, I think it was a great concept. Luke, Mara, and a few others find the ship out near Chiss space. My only problem with Timothy Zahn is that he keeps writting about Thrawn. He is a great writer, and he gets you hooked. I didn't notice he wrote a book about the 'Outbound Flight', and I hope he doesn't spoil too much of it in 'Survivor's Quest.'

With out giving too much detail, is it a good read?
 Palpatine_dc
01-12-2006, 7:16 PM
Survivor's Quest is a pretty good book with a nice plot twist. It's not the best Star Wars book, but it's a decent read.

I'd also like to point out to those who didn't know it yet, that Timothy Zahn, the author of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology and Survivor's Quest, is writing a book about the Outbound Flight project called (surprise,surprise) 'Outbound Flight'. It is stated to be released on January 31.
 The Source
01-12-2006, 9:30 PM
Survivor's Quest is a pretty good book with a nice plot twist. It's not the best Star Wars book, but it's a decent read.

I'd also like to point out to those who didn't know it yet, that Timothy Zahn, the author of the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn duology and Survivor's Quest, is writing a book about the Outbound Flight project called (surprise,surprise) 'Outbound Flight'. It is stated to be released on January 31.
I agree... 'Survivor's Quest' is not the best, but it does keep you reading. Like I said... I hope he didn't give too much away... I hope 'The Outbound Flight' is the last Thrawn book.
 Astrotoy7
03-05-2006, 7:51 AM
Im hearing great things about this. It seems like Zahn has kept the good stuff in but added a depth that wasnt there until the Duology...

Here's TFNs Review (http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/r_outboundflight.asp). 3.8/4... what precision !

I definitely plan on checking it out....after I read Swarm War and Dark Lord first !!!! lolz

mtfbwya
 The Source
05-12-2006, 6:41 PM
Within a week, I will be buying this book. If anyone has read the book, by now, did you find it enjoyable?

Please keep spoilers out. :)
 Astrotoy7
05-15-2006, 10:39 AM
I have read this book now. It was interesting, to be sure - there is alot of Thrawn, which fans of his would love.... The focus is definitely on him and less on the jedi. Because of this, at times it almost felt like it wasnt a SW book....but maybe thats just me :)

Jorus C'boath was really annoying and arrogant....how the heck did he ever become a Jedi Master.

I loved the foreshadowing of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and that one of OFPs sub-missions was to investigate what had happenned to Vergere :) She is one cool bird-lady :p

mtfbwya
 Samnmax221
05-15-2006, 4:13 PM
I have read this book now. It was interesting, to be sure - there is alot of Thrawn, which fans of his would love.... The focus is definitely on him and less on the jedi. Because of this, at times it almost felt like it wasnt a SW book....but maybe thats just me :)

Jorus C'boath was really annoying and arrogant....how the heck did he ever become a Jedi Master.

I loved the foreshadowing of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, and that one of OFPs sub-missions was to investigate what had happenned to Vergere :) She is one cool bird-lady :p

mtfbwya
I seemed to recall he promoted himself
 PR-0927
05-17-2006, 3:32 PM
Outbound Flight was my favorite book of all time.

- Majin Revan
 The Source
05-17-2006, 7:25 PM
I would be more intrested in this book if they had an indepth look at the members of the Outbound Flight. After reading it predicessors, I allready know how Thrawn deals with the contriversy surrounding the flight. However, I was hoping to find out more about the Jedi and families involved. Thrawn is a pretty descent character, but I can get tired of him easy. I have never read the Thrawn Triology, but I have read enough of the extension books to get an idea of who he is.
 Canderous_ordo1
06-03-2006, 6:50 AM
i have started reading outbound flight and so far im injoying it
 swphreak
06-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, I was holding off on getting it, but $15 for a hardcover book is a sweet deal, so I picked it up with Betrayal. I'll get around to it... eventually

And after finishing it, I thought it was an ok book. It was interesting to see a much younger Thrawn. I'm hoping there'll be another book about Thrawn and what he did after Outbound Flight and anything he did in the early days of the Empire.
 slornie
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm hoping there'll be another book about Thrawn and what he did after Outbound Flight and anything he did in the early days of the Empire.
what a great idea... i agree that it would be good...
 RC-1162
07-29-2006, 11:27 AM

you seem to have forgotten about Master Vrook :D. but then again, maybe you havent played KotOR.

but OT:
i've read Survivor's Quest twice and its pretty darn good. There's a lot of backstabbing and stuff like that once you get deep enough and the best thing is:

THE 501st LEGION IS THERE! w00t!!! :D

definitely worth the money.

i have started reading outbound flight and so far im injoying it

WTF?? i thought Outbound Flight was to be released in 2007?
 Davinq
07-29-2006, 3:57 PM
Nah, I just ordered my copy off of B&N.
 schwager
07-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Outbound Flight was another Zahn masterpiece. Still my favorite EU writer, out of all the Zahn books, this is the one I enjoyed the most. If I may suggest, however, read Survivor's Quest before Outbound Flight, if you haven't already.

-schwager
 The Source
08-06-2006, 2:48 PM
Outbound Flight was another Zahn masterpiece. Still my favorite EU writer, out of all the Zahn books, this is the one I enjoyed the most. If I may suggest, however, read Survivor's Quest before Outbound Flight, if you haven't already.
-schwager
I agree. If you were to read Survivor's Quest second, the book would read kind of weird. It would also take away the susepense. Zhan is a very creative and inventive writter, I think he is 'one of the best' SW: writers.

I found the Duology: "Specter of the Past" & "Vision of the Future" very entertaining.

I haven't read 'Outbound Flight' as of yet, but I plan to do so when it hits paperback.

Most of his books are based upon pre-NJO and pre-prequel events. I think he took a good stand at keeping away from NJO. I know he may embrace some stories in the future, but I am enjoying the factor that Mara and Luke don't have children. Plus, Chewy is still alive.
Page: 1 of 1