Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Same old playermodel problems

Page: 1 of 1
 riceplant
07-09-2005, 7:29 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was asking about the playermodel command, specifically how to use a different model in cutscenes without learning how to edit all the maps. I can only assume that a different entity is used for the cutscenes, and the playermodel command does not change this. I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
 shukrallah
07-09-2005, 8:23 PM
You can edit the menu files to start you with another model, which will appear in cutscenes. ;)
 riceplant
07-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to modding quake 3, and I can't find the menus. I've looked in the pk3s, but can't find them. Where are they?
 StrangeOne
07-10-2005, 7:58 AM
you can use the playermodel command to change your appearance in cutscences.

here's how

Playermodel boba_fett model_default model_default model_default

(here you would use the name of the directory under /models/players/ that you would want to use for your appearance. (located in assets1.pk3. Though for the most part, it will be the same as the name of the npc from an npc list.) you can vary the 3 model_defaults to do different heads torsos & legs (in that order), but you'd have to look in the models/players/nameofmodel/ directory to see if such things are availible for that model. For a lot of the npcs, the model_defaults are the only ones suitable for SP.

this will make you look like boba fett, but won't do the stat changes like doing "playermodel boba_fett" will. ie, it will only change apparence in game and cutscene, but nothing else.

If you wanted to play through the game as boba_fett with all of boba fett's attributes and as him in the cutscene you need both commmands, like:

Playermodel boba_fett model_default model_default model_default
Playermodel boba_fett

an execption is if you wish to play as a jawa. the commands will work, but you won't be the correct size in cutscenes. for any model that uses a different size, in cutscenes, you'd need to make a mod with a modifed player.npc that has the correct size.
 razorace
07-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Also note that some of the cutscene playermodels are spawned at map start, so if you change your playermodel after that point, the change won't fully take effect until the next map.
 riceplant
07-10-2005, 7:39 PM
Thanks, StrangeOne, it even means I don't have to make an npc file to use a model and stops the game reseting my model with each new map. And thanks for the info, razorace, though I figured that out from playertint, which does work in cutscenes.

How does this work, by the way (I want to start modding, and need all the help I can get), does it make the game think the model is ghoul2, or what?
 shukrallah
07-10-2005, 8:35 PM
www.map-review.com) will help you with modding...

http://pcgamemods.com/5253) is an NPC tool, it helps you make NPCs.

I'll answere any questions you want too.. I can map script and skin.. or at least I try my best, lol.

EDIT: Oh and.. uhh... about where the menus are.

Check in your Assets1.pk3 file, under the UI directory every menu in the game is listed there. If you don't already know a pk3 is simular to a zip file, and can be loaded with a decompression program, like winzip or PakScape.

Every game file, from the floor texture, to the background music are stored in those PK3 files. It saves space, and keeps people from tampering them. BTW, do NOT ever change those PK3 files, make a seperate pk3 file if you are going to experiment with modding... any pk3 after those will be read also. If you do edit any of those assets pk3s your game could malfunction crash, or just not work at all. You could probably reinstall if this happens though, although I wouldn't recommend it.
Page: 1 of 1