Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Am I missing something or is this the worst inventory/skill interface EVER?

Page: 1 of 1
 mgdpublic
05-01-2005, 9:00 AM
Don't get me wrong; love the game. But I have to essentially remap my keys everytime I want to use a skill not currently mapped?? That is fricking ridiculous. It makes it no fun to experiment. And the inventory screen on the pc-- you have to press both a sideways and up or down arrow to highlight an item in the corners of the inventory and hope it doesn't jump to another one. Honestly, I can't believe that
skill interface made it through pre-alpha alpha testing. Very frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent.
 Udvarnoky
05-01-2005, 9:55 AM
Gamepad.
 MrManager
05-01-2005, 9:59 AM
Heh, yeah, I had no problems with the interface on the Xbox.
 ironchefmike
05-01-2005, 1:54 PM
Gotta agree that this game seems quite difficult playing with keyboard and mouse. And I had the same frustration with the inventory screen - it's even harder to target an item in the corner with the mouse.

Waiting for my USB Xbox converter in the mail.....tap tap tap.
 AgentJess
05-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I was about to say, I play the Xbox version (beat it a few minutes ago!), and had no trouble with the interface. I actually liked it.

Of course, I also spent wuite a while wasting time just catching seagulls on fire. Hehehe, seeya in Hell!
 Mystrunner
05-04-2005, 12:09 AM
As a PC owner/user, I'd have to agree. Bloody frustrating to use the keyboard 'n mouse, especially with things like telekenisis, where you have to aim using the wsad keys, rather than the mouse, which would have made more sense to me. Ah, well, take what lumps it gives, it's worth it.
 ironchefmike
05-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Just started a new game now that I have an adapter for my Xbox controller.

What a difference. Basic movement, inventory access are so much simpler.

Although, it gets more complicated when I need to focus my Psi blast. Even with the controller, my fingers look like they're playing Twister.
 Freck
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
?

Is it possible that you are holding the controller upside-down?

Kidding! :) But really... Does the PC version map differently to the gamepad? I never noticed any problems blasting stuff on the Xbox version. Even if I am moving, changing targets, focusing, and blasting all at once, it's still just two fingers, two thumbs, right where they always are.
 ironchefmike
05-05-2005, 6:48 AM
The buttons should be facing the ground, yes? :)

I'm not sure what the XBox controls are. Here's what the default controls are for PC gamepad play:

A=Psi-punch
B=jump/select (inventory)
X=cancel/exit
y=action
left thumbstick=move Raz
press left thumbstick=menu
left thumbpad=access inventory/Psi powers
right thumbstick=nothing (had to change the settings manually to get this to control camera movement)
left trigger=show stats
right trigger=first-person view
start button=Psi power
white button=Psi power
black button=focus/float

My gamepad has the black and white buttons underneath the A/B/X/Y buttons, and my initial Psi-Blast control was the white button. Trying to target and fire the Psi blast at the same time was really difficult (I was only born with one thumb on each hand). I finally changed the focus/float to the left trigger and my gameplay improved immensely.

I just think that the default gamepad controls for PC weren't laid out that well, at least for my liking. (I've never used a gamepad for anything on my PC).

I am wondering if the XBox controls are any different. I'd appreciate it if you could post the XBox controls.

Thanks.
 Freck
05-05-2005, 9:41 AM
Let's see...

A: jump/select
B: cancel/exit
X: punch
Y: action
Left thumbstick: move
Click left thumbstick: ? I forget. will check when I'm at the controls
Right thumbstick: adjust camera
Click right thumbstick: look around in first-person view
Left thumbpad: ? I think it's just another way to move
Left trigger: focus/float
Right trigger: psi power
White: psi power
Black: psi power
Start button: main menu, maps, etc
Back button: inventory/psi powers

I think that covers it. Those PC controls are kind of wacky. Assigning the triggers some useful function would definitely be a step forward, IMO.
 Metallus
05-05-2005, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by Freck
Click left thumbstick: ? I forget. will check when I'm at the controls
Left thumbpad: ? I think it's just another way to moveClicking the left thumbstick brings the entire HUD into view, like your rank, number of figments, etc. Hitting left or right on the D-pad will bring up your inventory or psi-powers depending on which direction, but I can't remember which is which.
 Plankhead
05-07-2005, 4:04 PM
It's sad that Mr. Schafer has fallen to the dark side of console ports. You'd think the PC team would at least make a better interface that took advantage of the keyboard.
Page: 1 of 1