Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Having graphics problem with KOTOR

Page: 1 of 1
 ironic_lettuce
04-19-2005, 5:51 AM
Hi

I have just installed KOTOR 1 again after completing it some time ago. However, this time when I open the game the screen flickers like crazy and is completely unplayable. I have a Radeon 9200 and I am using Catalyst 3.10 drivers. I have tried to install newer drivers but my PC wont let me - I get an error message saying that the drivers do not match my display adapter! I know a couple of the specs are on WARNING status but I have played this game before on my PC and have no idea why it is suddenly playing up. If anyone could give me a hand I woud be very grateful.

My specs are:
[SWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=19/04/2005 11:34:03
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v1.03.514077
GameInstallLocation=C:\DAVID\GAMES\KOTOR\

[OS]
Name=WinME
Version=Windows ME v4.90 build 3000
Service Pack=None
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
C:\WINDOWS\win386.swp=260

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=1332
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=4
CPUStepping=4
CPUVendor=AMD
CPUName=AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1332MHz
Status=Warning

[Memory]
RAM=256
Status=Warning

[Disk Free Space]
C: (FAT32), UNICODE=14.52GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\,E:\
Drives=SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-212B,MT1316 BDV212B

[Video]
Video Card Name=RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary
Video Memory=128
Desktop Resolution=1024x768x16
DirectX=DirectX (9.0+) (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=1.3.4054 Win9x Release
OpenGL Vendor=ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL Renderer=RADEON 9200 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!
Vid Card Status=Pass
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=Creative SB Live! series (WDM)
Status=Pass

Thanks in advance
IL
 stingerhs
04-19-2005, 6:33 AM
hmm, my guess is that you're going for the wrong driver. try the 5.2 Catalyst drivers designed for Windows ME below and let us know what happens. ;)

the link: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wme-8-03-98-3-050117a-021000e.exe)
 ironic_lettuce
04-19-2005, 6:45 AM
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the link but get the same message : "This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter installed in your system"

:(
 stingerhs
04-19-2005, 7:59 AM
hmm, that's quite unusual. my guess would be to open up your computer case and make sure that your card is seated properly in the slot just in case something's not quite right with its installation.

also, make sure that you don't have an integrated video chipset that is still activated on your machine. you can do that by uninstalling its drivers and, if neccessary, make sure its deactivated in your system BIOS (you can access that at startup).

if none of that applies, i can still help out, so just hang in there. :)
 ironic_lettuce
04-19-2005, 8:13 AM
Hi

I installed the latest Directx incase that helped but to no avail. I've also sent a support request to ATI :)

However, If you're still willing to help i'm willing to give whatever you say a try! :)

Unfortunately im not very computer minded so dont know how to de-activate the integrated chipset. If you could run through how to do that or how to do it in BIOS I would be very grateful. One thing that puzzles me is that when I go to device manager and click on display adapters it comes with RADEON 9200 SERIES and below it RADEON 9200 SERIES SECONDARY. But I only have one card!

Again, thanks for all your help so far

IL
 stingerhs
04-19-2005, 10:34 AM
the secondary display is the second monitor output on your card. basically, that means that you can have two monitors hooked up to your computer.

as for checking if you have an integrated chipset that's not completely deactivated, i suggest running PC Wizard. its a free program that finds all kinds of information about your system (some of which you're almost guarenteed not to know). i'll post a link below.

the link: http://www.cpuid.org/pcw)

chances are, if that program doesn't pick up more than one video card, then you don't have an active integrated graphics chip. in that case, i may start to recommend some third-party drivers for you, but i'll hold off on that for now.
 ironic_lettuce
04-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi stinger

I used the PC wizard - it says i've only got one card :(

Any other help would be great

IL
 stingerhs
04-19-2005, 3:32 PM
well, then we'll move right along to the error message. try running the .exe file again and paste the error message here.
 ironic_lettuce
04-19-2005, 5:35 PM
Hi

Do you mean an error message when the game starts? I dont actually get an error message. The screen just flickers so much that it makes it unplayable. The error message that appears when I try to install the new driver is exaclty as i've written above.

Thanks
 stingerhs
04-19-2005, 8:23 PM
darn, i was kinda hoping for an error code to be in the error message. oh well.

time to take some drastic steps. first things first: make sure you have some way to return your computer to the way it was. if you haven't backed up any data recently, now would be a very good time to do so. and i say that not because this could ruin your computer, but rather because you could run into the same problem if you try to re-install the old drivers. well, that and its always a good idea to keep your stuff backed up at all times just in case something happens. ;)

also, make sure that you have a backup of your current drivers available, whether it be an install disk that came with the video card or the 3.9 Catalyst Drivers as an .exe file on your hard drive.

if you still have the 5.2 drivers i posted, then good. if not, go ahead and re-download them, preferably to your desktop.

once you have that taken care of, go ahead and uninstall the current Catalyst Drivers from Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs menu. after the drivers are uninstalled, restart your computer (you'll be given a prompt to do so).

when the computer boots back up, try to install the 5.2 drivers. if you run into the same problem again, then you'll have to re-install your old drivers using the .exe or the install disk.

hope that helps. :)
 ironic_lettuce
04-20-2005, 5:40 AM
Hi

I tried the method you suggested (it was also what ATI support suggested), unfortunately it didnt work either. After that didnt owrk, I dloaded the All In Wonder 4.2 driver and when I tried to install it got a message saying

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"

If you could give any ideas that would be great - i'm about ready to give up!!

Thanks
 stingerhs
04-20-2005, 7:38 AM
this is definately unusual. its time to get a bit extreme now. first, unplug your computer and open up the case. go ahead and remove video card from whatever slot its in (you'll recognize it from the ATI symbol on the card as well as the extra length compared to the rest of your cards). make sure you remove the screw thats attaching it to the case first, or you'll find it immensely difficult to remove.

once you've removed the card, reboot your computer. you might get a message that Windows cannot detect a video adapter, and the computer will be running at an insanely low resolution. now, turn off your computer and put the card back into its original location, making sure that you unplug your computer first. now, if you have problems getting it back into the slot, just be gentle and try to gently work it into the slot. computer parts are delicate, and a replacement card will set you back about $50-60.

once thats done, reboot your computer. windows should detect new hardware, and from there you should be able to install the drivers for it.

to summarize what you just did: you completely uninstalled your video card and re-installed it.

now, my guess is that if it doesn't work, then its probably an error in the card itself. that means you'll need a brand new card. hopefully, though, it won't come to that.
 ironic_lettuce
04-20-2005, 8:46 AM
Hi

That does sound extreme - but i'll get right on it :) I had to install the card myself anyway so it shouldnt prove too taxing! :)

I have a strong suspicion that its the game not the card because I can play Pirates absolutely perfectly.

Will let you know how I get on
 ironic_lettuce
04-20-2005, 9:51 AM
Hi

How do I get a display on the monitor if I remove my graphics card? My monitor plug straight into it!
 ChAiNz.2da
04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ironic_lettuce
Hi

How do I get a display on the monitor if I remove my graphics card? My monitor plug straight into it!
Since you don't have a secondary card. Boot up normally (with your vid card still installed).. and go into your device manager. (right-click the My Computer icon and choose properties. From there, choose the option for Hardware Devices.)

Find your entry for the video card(s) and remove them via remove hardware, or unisinstall the drivers..

Shut down your computer and manually remove your card for around 30 seconds (unplug your computer first!!).. don't just power down, disconnect from the wall ;)

Re-insert your card after 30seconds or so.. then reboot... If you have XP or higher, it should auto-detect "new hardware" (your vid card). When it goes to install the drivers for it, select the manual option and use the newest Catalyst drivers.

This should work.. :)
 stingerhs
04-20-2005, 2:58 PM
thanx for the assist there ChAiNz. :D
 ChAiNz.2da
04-20-2005, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
thanx for the assist there ChAiNz. :D
You seem to be the one-man-show around here, figured I'd give ya' a breather
(one of the few times I can :nut: ) hehehe...
 ironic_lettuce
04-26-2005, 6:35 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - i'll give what you suggested a try Chainz - ive been away on holiday for a bit so havent had the chance to try it yet.

One thing that puzzles me though is that I can install catalyst drivers up to 3.10 or something like that which is high enough for the game. Surely the game should run properly if I have patched it to 1.03 and the 'scan hardware' bit says I meet the game requirements albeit with a couple of warnings?

Thanks again i'll let you know how I get on!

PS Im using Win Me not XP - will that be able to detect the hardware?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-26-2005, 7:50 AM
Originally posted by ironic_lettuce
PS Im using Win Me not XP - will that be able to detect the hardware?
It should... in fact, I believe Win98 will as well... and seeing as how ME was developed/released after 98, you should be good to go :)
 ironic_lettuce
04-26-2005, 3:02 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for all your help but I have now officially given up!! I tried the removal of the card thing but no joy. I'll try and get my hands on another copy of the game to see if its the game and not the video card. Mind you, the latest drivers still dont install so there must be something wrong!

ATI arent very good with their customer services
 stingerhs
04-26-2005, 9:09 PM
my guess is that they don't really know what's going on any more than we do. IMHO, i don't think the problem lies with the copy of the game you have, so getting another copy probably won't help.

but real quick, lets go back to the problem with the game. does the problem start whenever you start the game (on the main menu) or does it occur after you load a module???
 ironic_lettuce
04-27-2005, 5:56 AM
Hi

I double click the KOTOR exe file - then the lucasarts bit comes up fine, then the Bioware bit comes up fine, then the pic of Darth whatsisface comes up fine - but then when at the menu where he is standing to the left and the choices of new game etc come up (i.e the main menu) thats when the screen starts flickering. I find that if V-Sync is on, the screen flickers less but is still unplayable :(
 ChAiNz.2da
04-27-2005, 6:17 AM
Do you have any programs running in the background?

It sounds as if there's another program running robbing you of some system meory...

Mine tends to flicker if I happen to leave a program running such as a messenging program, SETI, or even a real-time virus scanner.

Try disabling unnecessary "background" programs and see if it helps. Though if you disable your anti-virus, make sure you suspend or turn off your modem (if you have broadband or cable modem)...
 ironic_lettuce
04-27-2005, 7:27 AM
YEEEEEES! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU x 1,000,000

I used Ctrl, Alt, Del and disabled some background stuff and now it runs fine!!! It makes sense to be a memory problem because the game recommends 512 RAM and ive only got 256.

Thank you both so much for your help you have no idea how grateful I am!!! :)

Thanks again!
 ChAiNz.2da
04-27-2005, 7:33 AM
:emodanc: :elephant: :rddance: :sheepdanc :sbdance

though if you get the chance (and funds) it wouldn't hurt to up your memory to 512mb.
Even if not for the game itself, it'll help you with other apps in the future

until then...

Enjoy the game! :D
Page: 1 of 1