Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

X-Wing Series

Page: 1 of 1
 abespam
04-06-2005, 8:25 AM
first thread in EU forum.

Most EU readers have read the X-wing books (or at least some of them)

in the books it saysd Baron Fel was supposedly part of rogue squadron . I was wondering what novel that was in, since it wasnt in any of the x-wing books. Was it rogue squadron comic series? cos i havent read that. If ne one has an answer it would be much appreciated.

Also which author do u prefer in the X-wing series... Stackpole or allston (this is just for the X-wing series not for other EU books)

Personally i think Stackpole does the starfighter dogfights the best. I always have a clear picture of what is going on rather than random space battling in other books i have read.

However Allston books always make me laughs esp the jokes about Janson, i also remember reading Starfighters of Adumar in one sitting (i finished it at 4am in the morning) it was that enthralling to me.
 swphreak
04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
I know 100% that Fel made an appearence in Rogue Squadron in the comics. He's in quite a few of them.

Link (http://www.darkhorse.com/search/search.php?sstring=Star+Wars%3A+X-Wing+Rogue+Squadron&nsstring=&viewmode=gallery).

I like the Wraith squadron books more than the Rogue squadron books. One of the best series ever.
 Shok_Tinoktin
04-06-2005, 2:54 PM
I much prefer the Stackpole books to the Allston books. Stackpole is one of my favorite SW authors, and Allston is one of my least favorite.
 Astrotoy7
04-07-2005, 9:00 AM
Welcome to the EU forums abespam Good to have another Aussie around ! :p

I dont think too poorly of Allston as he seems to know his limits, mainly sticking to his wraiths and their stock standard fighter pilot personailities.

The Xwing books/comics and teh wraith squadron novels are just an amazing part of EU. Highly recommended :D

mtfbwya
 Lieutenant_kettch
04-09-2005, 7:00 PM
well, Stackpole and Allston cannot be compared in their x-wing series prowess.. Stackpole's books were just amazing... and Allston's weren't amazing....

Don't get me wrong, Allston's weren't bad, but they just weren't great. In the EU book collection, many books are great, so the good ones get pushed back. I still pick up the Allston books, but i would recommend Stackpole's over them without hesitation.

On a side note, Stackpole has Ooryl Qrygg.... must i say more?;)
 jokemaster
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I liked the Wraith books and the Rouge books more or less equally, though I think if anything I liked the wraith books a little more because of Lt. Kettch. My Kettch beets your Ooryll
 Lieutenant_kettch
04-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by jokemaster
I liked the Wraith books and the Rouge books more or less equally, though I think if anything I liked the wraith books a little more because of Lt. Kettch. My Kettch beets your Ooryll

ok, first, i can't believe you actually were able to type that into the post without bursting into flames at your own blasphemy...
second, look who i am, i am lieutenant kettch, and if i say ooryl is better than i am, then by golly, he is.
 jokemaster
04-12-2005, 4:31 PM
I've actually got a special deal that allows me to blaspheme without bursting into flames when I got my insurance.
 Lieutenant_kettch
04-13-2005, 2:18 AM
Originally posted by jokemaster
I've actually got a special deal that allows me to blaspheme without bursting into flames when I got my insurance.

ahh, must be because you actually admit it is blasphemy, but i will still vape you where you stand
 benTantilles
04-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I personally much prefer Allston, to be honest. Though Stackpole's books had stronger plots, I felt his diague was really weak and artificial. Honestly, all his lines sounded so... contrived. It was hard to believe people actually spoke like that! Allston, in contrast, made me believe that the pilots really acted the way he said they did. He gave them a sense of realism. And, of course, his books are pretty frickin fantastic. Starfighters of Adumar's my personal favourite of all time.

That said, I think Stackpole's novels are more worth reading. They highlight some important changes in the Star Wars landscape (capture of Coruscant, stuff with Ysanne Isard etc), whereas Allston's novels seem more like fillers-in. Even his Enemy Lines novels in the NJO seem that way.

Stackpole's comics are great, too. The characters' lines are actually believable (and funny, too), but I think credit for that should go to the other co-authors and editors. Regardless, they're still good.

Bottom line: They're both good, though I believe Allston's novels are more enjoyable to read. Honestly, my non-star wars friends much prefer Allston's work to Stackpole's.

And yes, Fel is mentioned heavily in the comics. He's the honourable, much-reverred leader of the Imperial 181st Fighter Wing who gets captured by the Alliance after a brilliant dogfight with Wedge. He's first mentioned in the series IN THE EMPIRE'S SERVICE (which, i believe, is the BEST comic arc to ever hit the stands. Great art, great storyline, great charactersation... it's all great!) and is heavily featured in every rogue squadron arc (Masquarade, Mandatory Retirement, perhaps 1 or 2 more) since then. Also, he gets his own comic all to himself: The Making Of Baron Fel. Truly a work of art, honestly. It depicts his rise and fall. A Must-have, especially if you're an x-wing fan. it's stackpole at his best!
 Rogue Nine
04-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Allston is a helluva lot funnier than Stackpole. He also manages to develop the rest of the squadron along with the story, something which Stackpole doesn't do very well. The Rogue Squadron books tend to focus on the core group of starfighter pilots, namely Wedge, Tycho and especially Corran Horn. Those books should have been subtitled, "The Adventures of Corran Horn." That's not to say this was a bad thing (as evidenced by my username), but Stackpole just didn't pay much attention to the other characters. Allston gave pretty much everyone in the squadron their fair share of character development, and I like that. Besides, Wes Janson is farkin' hilarious. XD
 benTantilles
04-16-2005, 12:50 PM
haha. The Adventures of Corran Horn. Good point, Stackpole did tend to do that. Thankfully, though, I felt he did a helluva better job in focusing on the Squadron as a whole for the comic series. He touched on the rapport that all the members of the series had for each other through group banter and discussions on Fel etc, while STILL managing to flesh out the individual (through personal interactions, eg. Nrin & Ibtisam, Fel & that Twi'lek mechanic, whashername, so on). Good stuff, stackpole.

Basically, I rank Stackpole & Allston's works as following:

Starfighters of Adumar, Allston
Rogue Squadron comics, Stackpole and some others (later ones mainly. Earlier ones, The Phantom Affair being the exception, weren't too great)

Enemy Lines, Allston (from the NJO)
Wraith Squadron novels, Allston (better reads than Stackpole, though other than they have less impact on the Star Wars universe)

Rogue Squadron novels, Stackpole (less well-written than Allston's novels, though story elements are interesting and more important)

Dark Tide duology, Stackpole. (No, it wasn't that bad. But the others were so much bette)
 abespam
04-17-2005, 4:42 AM
I agree that Starfighters of Adumar was one of the most exciting books ive read in the EU, the comic dialogue that arises between hobbie, wedge and especially janson was hilarious, i was actually laughing out loud. And like i said i read the whole book in one sitting.

Stackpole's books definitely have more significance in the EU as a whole, considering the establishment of a base at borleias (i think .. its been so long since ive read it), the emergence of Ysanne Isard and most importantly the New Republic taking Corscant. Personally i felt the New Republic Era only started when this happened. However his Dark Tide books have less significance, Horn and the destruction of Ithor was not nearly as important (though bear with me i havent finished NJO).
 abespam
04-18-2005, 8:14 AM
just read the comic series (it was amazing).

But i was wondering does anybody know where the story of Baron Fel leaving the new republic (or being captured or something)?

It was aftter x-wing mandatory retirement but before the x-wing novels.

Also i dont know where the story of Celchu being captured is.
 benTantilles
04-18-2005, 8:31 AM
the stories aren't actually told anywhere- they happen "off screen", in a manner of speaking. You can check the Hand of Thrawn duology (Scepter of the Past, Vision of the Future) by Zahn for more info on Fel's re-defection, but that only mentions some information in the past tense: it doesn't actually recount his story.
 abespam
04-25-2005, 4:34 AM
in regards to the Baron Fel story..

C3: Continuity Panel for EU (http://theforce.net/books/story/C3_Continuity_Panel_for_EU_91612.asp)

Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole are wanting to do a story detailing "The Reenlistment of Baron Fel", but no licensee is interested yet.

i hope they get a licensee....
 abespam
04-28-2005, 3:44 AM
X-Wing: Rogue Leader Announced (http://www.jedinet.com/literature/)

finally an OT era comic for rogue squadron, with luke and wedge.
 Rogue Nine
04-28-2005, 5:44 AM
Bah. Wedge > Luke. Luke's a dirty Force haxx0r. Wedge is the best pilot, evar.
 abespam
04-28-2005, 8:21 AM
Rogue Nine Bah. Wedge > Luke. Luke's a dirty Force haxx0r. Wedge is the best pilot, evar.

true in a sense i remember ,i think it was janson in one of the wraith squadron books talking about how luke's the most skillful, but in terms of percentages and kill count wedge is the best.
 Regan21286
08-19-2005, 5:50 PM
I always liked the wraith series more because I thought the characters appealed to me better than the rogues did. There was definitely more humor in allston's books and it showed a different side of the SW universe, where it wasn't all heroes. I always considered them like the Ocean's Eleven (or in this case twelve) of SW.
Page: 1 of 1