Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darksword Mod is now Available!

Page: 1 of 2
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 5:39 AM
* Click For Important Note About Mod Permissions * (http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2853385&postcount=15)

Grab'em and growl peeps! The Darksword hath cometh to lay some whippin' on your enemy's arse ;)

Clicky Here! (NEXUS) (http://www.nexusmods.com/kotor2/mods/19)
Clicky Here! (Deadly Stream) (http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/file/78-darksword/)
Clicky Here! (LucasFiles) (http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=1056)
Clicky Here! (FileFront) (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Darksword;66312)
Clicky Here! (My Site) (http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/mods/Darksword.htm)

edit: above link now points to the revised version

if you have downloaded version 1 from PCGM, be sure to download this fix:

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/mods/Darksword/baseitems.2da)

From the readme:

Description of Mod:
==============
Being tired of looking at the same melee sword with just different colored hilts, I decided to make a new model sword. This one has a twist however. Based off of Mighella's Darksword, this weapon preceeds the lightsaber. While being a different sort of weapon, it shares common properties of a lightsaber, and as such will provide you with a decent weapon until you're able to construct a lightsaber of your own (which took way too long for my tastes).

This sword also has a special animation effect to the blade. Upon activation (flourish/fight), the blade will emit a strobing plasma arc :)

Mighella Source = http://www.thelightsaber.com/historyM.htm)

Darksword Description:
----------------------
"Rarely spoken of, and even moreso seen, this millenia's old weapon is known as a darksword.

This weapon preceeds the lightsaber used by ancient Sith, but often treasured by both collectors, and those who still find the pleasure in more 'carnal' ways of dealing with their opponents.

Utilizing similiar technologies found in today's lightsabers, the weapon is surprisingly well suited for upgrading.

In it's most simple and elegant description, the Darksword is essentially a saber made from duranium and plasmetically charged."

Darksword Crystal Description:
------------------------------
"Because of limited technologies & crystal supply (most mines had yet to be found), the Darksword used a special crystal "fixture" that allowed the weapon to harness the collective energies from smaller crystal fragments.

Less powerful than today's lightsaber, the Darksword was more a symbol than practical. Seperating those trained in the Force (most often Sith) from the common person. Still, because today's lightsaber technologies were based primarily from the Darksword, little has changed.

Darkswords found today, albeit rarely, can still incorporate most, if not all standard lightsaber upgrades. Some may blame the Jedi for their stringent hold on 'tradition', though the more wise know how valuable & practical keeping certain physicalities "standard".

Antiquated perhaps, but no Jedi or Sith has yet complained of the fact that sometimes "discovered" upgrades conveniently fit their own weapon..."

STATS:
---------
- Upgradeable (uses lightsaber upgrades)
- 1-10 Physical
- 1d4 Energy

Colors included: Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Violet, Silver, Cyan, Viridian & Orange

**- this mod uses both an upcrystals.2da & baseitems.2da file. If you are already using such a file, some editing will be required. HOWEVER, I've tried very hard to make mine compatible with other mods. A big thanks goes to Darkkender for providing an outstanding base to work off of! Below is a list of mods that my included "upcrystals.2da" & "baseitems.2da" will work with (safe to overwrite):

()- compatible .2da mods:

- Darkkender's Guardian Saber
- RedHawke & Maverick187's Prestiege Class
- RedHawke's Exile Item Pack
- Xcom's SH Crystal Pack
- Shadow's Saber Pack
- Shadow's Odyssey Saber
- Jetstorm's & Darkkender's Lightsaber Crystal Expansion
- Maverick187's Megido & Avenger Sabers
- Maverick187's Jedi W.M. Mav Model
- Darkkender's Segan Wyndh v2 mod
- Darkkender's Painted Droids mod
- Drakonnen's Jedi v Sith Armor Pack

=====================
Super-Special thanks to:

[] T7nowhere - http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/KotOR.htm)
For initially luring me to start modeling and following through with uncanny support when I needed it most. Plus, for providing the animation "trick"...

[] svцsh - http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclone_0101/kotor_mods.htm)
For your outstanding tutorials, both on modeling and skinning. You are a true master and an inspiration. Much of my stuff wouldn't have been possible without your guidance...

[] Darkkender - http://www.pcgamemods.com/u/4616/)
For providing the outstanding .2da compatibility base to work off of...

Why are you still reading this? GO! Shoo! Download! ENJOY! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7tsSDtm2y0)
 Mav
04-05-2005, 5:50 AM
Glad I stayed awake long enough for this, now to just DL my copy and sleep, awesome job ChAiNz :thumbsup:
 lord_yig
04-05-2005, 5:56 AM
I can't say i'll use it... Because i prefer light sabers after all...

But it is very nicely done...
I haven't watch the mpg sample showing the render of the effect in-game but i'm sure it is nicely done too...
Great work on this ChAiNz... :eek: :thumbsup:
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by lord_yig
I can't say i'll use it... Because i prefer light sabers after all...
hehe.. same here ;)

I mainly made this as a 'supplement' until you can get your saber built (since it takes forever)... but it's got some nice bonuses in case you want to melee Mandalore or another non-Jedi/Sith :D
 Bob Lion54
04-05-2005, 6:20 AM
WHOHOO!!!
ChAiNz, you are the man!!!!!!!:cool:
If I wasn't drunk, I would try it now. (dont worry, I'm 21, Dont drink underage kids)
Edit: the readme is great!!!! sometimes Readme's get overlooked, or or at least done half-way . You really went ALL out . Great ReadMe, and great job!!!
:cool:
 Nodakrattler
04-05-2005, 6:48 AM
Thank you very much ChAiNz.2da.:thumbs1: Now I get to go hack and slash with a great new sword model. :ninja1:
 Colma Adawin
04-05-2005, 7:39 AM
Love the detail put into this great weapon!

love the whole damn thing.

now if only i could kill off a few party members with this ;)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

MattCole
 Spectre75
04-05-2005, 7:45 AM
I downloaded the darksword but the game CTD when i try to get it using the giveitem code. I also tried to use KSE to add the item to my inventory but the game CTD when i loaded the save can you help

Also im new on the forum so hello
 Glamador
04-05-2005, 9:14 AM
this is the single greatest thing to come along since the lightsaber was invented....that effect is TERRIFIC...the way it buzzes like that is great...does it still do that when u have it in non-combat mode? cus' that wouldnt be cool...im at skool tho so i can't try it out...it looks amazing! too bad i refuse to use cheats to get it ingame...is it able to be found anywhere? I might have to edit one of my UTI files if it's not...now i have to go dload KotOR tool again...and i have one more question: what feats apply to this weapon? is it considered a lightsaber or a melee item? b/c i usually don't waste my points on melee feats...
 shosey
04-05-2005, 9:35 AM
very very nice, I will be downloading when I get home!
 Keiko
04-05-2005, 9:46 AM
I downloaded the darksword but the game CTD when i try to get it using the giveitem code. I also tried to use KSE to add the item to my inventory but the game CTD when i loaded the save can you help

Welcome to the forums:)

Did you put the files in your override?

@Chainz Holy cow man!!!! This is sweet! Off to DL my copy now~:D
 Tupac Amaru
04-05-2005, 11:35 AM
My game also crashes if I try the giveitem cheat. I have removed other mods to be sure there is no conflict. When I change baseitem in the .uti file to a normal lightsaber I can get the sword. The stats are wrong, but I can admire the cool lightning effects. :)
 stoffe
04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Spawning it with the giveitem console command works fine for me. Though admittedly I am not using the included 2da files, I just added the two required lines to my own 2da files according to the instructions in the ReadMe.

Looks good, some nice variation from the normal vibroblades and swords. :)
 Tupac Amaru
04-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-
Though admittedly I am not using the included 2da files, I just added the two required lines to my own 2da files according to the instructions in the ReadMe.
That's it. Thanks for the tip. Works perfectly now.
 Spectre75
04-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Tupac Amaru
That's it. Thanks for the tip. Works perfectly now.

Cool ill try that aswell then thanks
 coaxmetal
04-05-2005, 1:55 PM
great model...and i thought the one for KotOR1 was good enough. pretty impressive!
keep 'em coming, ChAiNz.
 Spectre75
04-05-2005, 2:01 PM
I tried editing my current .2da files but its still not working
 Vigrid Ratatosk
04-05-2005, 4:24 PM
I'm having the same problem (and it also crahses at the conversation when boarding the harbinger). even when I backed up and replcaed my current baseitems file with the one that came with the mod it doesn't work [changed the GFF back to 108]. The first time I tried to get the sword it came up as the stormtrooper armor (was an armor item with the storm armor stats) but with the Darksword's description, so i'm thinking there might be a conflict there (but I don't see with what).
 Spectre75
04-05-2005, 4:39 PM
I've got mine sorted now it works
 Toe
04-05-2005, 5:30 PM
I've got the same crash problem upon entering the Harbinger.
The cutscene starts, Kreia talks about sensing that something's strange and - bang - the game crashes.
The same thing happens with an edited savegame (added the darksword to my inventory). The game starts loading and suddenly crashes to the desktop.

Removing all other mods from the override folder didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Apart from that: Thank you for this great mod! Once I get this to work, I'll definitely enjoy weilding your creation.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 5:53 PM
Hmmm... let me go thru and double-check all of the feedback everyone is giving.

One question, is everyone loading a game before entering the Harbinger, or at a game where you are already on the Harbinger but the dialogue hasn't started?

All of my beta testing was done from a savegame while I was NOT on the harbinger at all.. then I proceeded to board the ship... ??

I'm testing everything here on my end and can't seem to replicate the problems some are having?? :(

I'll keep trying to see what may be causing the problems... hopefully I'll find something and get a fix released soon :)
 Nodakrattler
04-05-2005, 6:09 PM
I've been using a save from before the Harbinger and I'm having that freeze in during the dialog problem too. I haven't tried to use KSE or cheat them in game yet so I'm not sure about that problem. I kind of get the feeling there's a problem with the .2da's since people that edited their own don't seem to have as much of a problem with it. I'm at work so there's nothing I can do to help with trouble shooting it right now, but I'll take a look myself when I get off unless you've fixed it by then.
 Vigrid Ratatosk
04-05-2005, 6:10 PM
If theres no problem with the sword for you, there'll be no problem with the dialog I think. Since if the sword is crashing the game, wouldn't the game crash upon attempting to spawn a NPC using the sword (the nightsister spawn script is attacked to either kreia's or attons dialog right?)
 stoffe
04-05-2005, 6:24 PM
I would agree with the above poster, the dialog crash on the Harbinger likely comes when the game tries to spawn the swords on the NPC, just like it seems to crash when they are using "giveitem" to spawn it.

[some incorrect speculation snipped]

The only thing that differed between the Darksword line I added to my 2DAs and the line in the 2DAs that came with the mod is the row index. And it worked fine without any crashes for me, as mentioned before.

The baseitems.2da in the mod is also missing lines with index 105 and 106, but since it works for ChAiNz.2da it is strange if that is the problem. Some 2DAs are accessed by line number rather than line (label) index in Neverwinter Nights, but I am unsure if this is the case in KotOR, and if baseitems.2da was one of those files.
 Nodakrattler
04-05-2005, 6:39 PM
Well after reading these last post I guess I'm wrong. Could the problem just be the model? But then it works for some but not everyone. I guess I'll just have to check back a little later to see what ya figured out.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 6:44 PM
Originally posted by stoffe -mkb-
(The baseitems.2da in the mod is also missing lines with index 105 and 106, but since it works for ChAiNz.2da I doubt that is the problem. Some 2DAs are accessed by line number rather than line (label) index in Neverwinter Nights, but I am unsure if this is the case in KotOR, and if baseitems.2da was one of those files.)
Unfortunately that seems to be the case... I just tested the mod with the "skipped" entries and it does indeed crash. Apparently I was using the USM baseitems.2da when I was beta testing (which has the included lines) :fist:

If users edit the baseitems.2da & .uti file manually (with correct consecutive line numbers) everything works fine. I posted in the comments for users not to use the included baseitems.2da until I can get a version 2 out, or if they want to go ahead and follow the manual instructions I included everything should work out...

Here's a question however, can I put rows 105 & 106 in without any entries other than the line number, name and label (maybe put **** in the blanks)? I figure if I at least fill in those 3 entries, it should be enough to "trick" the game... but I don't want to release the USM baseitems.2da entries until the mod itself is released...

In any case, manual editing will work, just DON'T use the included baseitems.2da...

Sorry everyone :(
 Bob Lion54
04-05-2005, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Sorry everyone :(

Just one of those silly mishaps that pop upfrom time to time. All that .2da work would make me insane!!!. I , for one, don't mind waiting till you can fix it :cool:
 stoffe
04-05-2005, 7:01 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Unfortunately that seems to be the case... I just tested the mod with the "skipped" entries and it does indeed crash. Apparently I was using the USM baseitems.2da when I was beta testing (which has the included lines) :fist:

Here's a question however, can I put rows 105 & 106 in without any entries other than the line number, name and label (maybe put **** in the blanks)? I figure if I at least fill in those 3 entries, it should be enough to "trick" the game... but I don't want to release the USM baseitems.2da entries until the mod itself is released...

Yes, I just tested to be sure, and it seems that baseitems.2da is one of those files where the (row label) column is actually unused by the game and it uses line number instead. If I used your unaltered baseitems.2da from the mod (with line label index set to 108) and then in the darksword.uti change the BaseItem field to 106 (which is the line number of the row with index 108, since two lines are missing) it works and doesn't crash.

Thus it was probably crashing because it was referencing a line two numbers too high that didn't exist in baseitems.2da.

Padding the 2DA with blank "****" lines should work, that's usually how it is done with Neverwinter Nights to reserve intervals of rows in 2DAs. Check line 51 in baseitems.2da for example. It's a removed entry that has been replaced with padding instead.
 Vigrid Ratatosk
04-05-2005, 7:02 PM
you can fill a line with **** as long as theres a correct number at the start it seems. I did that to fix the stormtrooper armor replacing the darksword. [hey, I discovered something an actual modder didn't know lol]
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 7:27 PM
Here's the fixed baseitems.2da :D

All mod compatibilities have been retained.

http://www.jumpstationz.com/games/mods/Darksword/baseitems.2da)

I've uploaded both a complete new version of the mod (version 2) at my site, plus this same link for those that don't want to download the whole thing again just for a baseitems.2da fix.

I also posted this link in my comments over at PCGM.

And this time, I tested it with THIS file ;) hehehe

Sorry for the problems everyone! Don't throw too big of rocks at me ;)

and you're right Vigrid & stoffe, the "****" trick did work :D
 Lorden Darkblade
04-05-2005, 7:34 PM
Very nice work as usual ChAiNz.2da :D
 ID129
04-05-2005, 7:40 PM
Whoohoo It's done. Much Love.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 8:00 PM
A fixed version 2 has been uploaded to PCGM here:

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/11497.html)

There's also a link in the description (version 2) to download just the fix for those that have already downloaded version 1.

I'm afraid someone will download the mod before reading the comments on how to fix it, so I thought this might be a safer route :D
 General Kenobi
04-05-2005, 8:15 PM
again, ChAiNz very very cool :) I said that in your WIP thread as well but just wanted to reinerate it. I'm closing out of the forums and donating an hour or two playing with this bad boy :)
 ID129
04-05-2005, 8:17 PM
Out of Curiosity where on the Harbringer do you get it?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ID129
Out of Curiosity where on the Harbringer do you get it?
She's "blocking" the room just before the transitional entrance to the Harbinger's Crew Quarters Area. I placed her there to more or less guarantee you have to confront her. You'll be 'turning a corner' when you first run into her, but she has a great perception, so she may find you before you notice her :dev11:

When you see a flurry of plasmatic blades in your face, you'll know her hehehe ;)
 General Kenobi
04-05-2005, 11:17 PM
KILLER ChAiNz really great work :) I'm staring at them right now on one of the other computers over there :) :)

They work perfectly for me :elephant::elephant::elephant:

Personally though I COULD NOT live with the Skip Peragus mod so now I'm gonna have to play Peragus again. Hey could you put her opposite wall of the main chamber where atton is held behind the door you open to get to him? That way you could skip Peragus still
 Obex
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey, this looks really great. excellent idea, execution, and game balance. cant wait for your next project.

quick question: i think i read above that this is a melee weapon. do you know offhand what i can do to classify this as a lightsaber? melee weapons prevent my force jumping and blaster deflection, somethings that i cant live without. a jedi has got to jump, you know?
 Keiko
04-06-2005, 9:35 AM
So you have this in .zip Chainz? Thanks!:D
 ChAiNz.2da
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by DarthSmallz
So you have this in .zip Chainz? Thanks!:D
nope.

The problem with a zip file is I can't find a way to place folders in the archive. I have 9 sets of 3 files named the same, so without a way to seperate them (via folder).. it will require me to rename 27 files and re-write a readme for proper instructions on how to install it properly....

Sorry man, but I have 3 other projects I'm working on, and doing this isn't on the list currently...

What probs are you having with Winrar? It's confusing me as to why a few people are having problems with this program while 1,000's others aren't?

I really don't want to have to make 2 different versions of every mod I want to create...

If Winrar is giving you problems, try a different .rar program.. there's StuffIt you can try (there's a link to the program at my site in the mods section).. plus a ton of other archiving progs at:

http://www.downloads.com)

I'm not meaning to come down hard on ya' bro, and I apologize if it sounds harsh... I'd just like to help you get a working rar archiver so that the modders who decide to use .rar files won't have to be doing 2 variations of the mod :D
 Keiko
04-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Snap, I wish I hath cometh to lay thy darksword on my enemy's arse.:(
 StoneDragon
04-06-2005, 6:34 PM
I'm having a problem with the mod.

This is what happened when I tried to get it from the giveitem cheat:
http://img165.exs.cx/img165/8889/untitled3ta.jpg)

I know I did everything right as you can see in this picture.
http://img165.exs.cx/img165/7167/kt2zh.jpg)
http://img214.exs.cx/img214/4259/gff7sk.jpg)

I really want to try the sword out. Help. :(
 Keiko
04-06-2005, 6:38 PM
^^^ I think you need to re-download the darksword, Chainz, just fixed it.

-Hope this helps!

Darthy:D
 ChAiNz.2da
04-07-2005, 9:23 AM
@StoneDragon
DarthSmallz is correct, I've had to update the mod because the skipped line entries in the baseitems.2da is what's causing the problem.

You can either re-download the entire mod (version 2), or you can just download the baseitems.2da fix I've posted in this thread, at PCGM and over at my site... I think there's even a link to the fix in my WIP thread as well (I scattered the sucker everywhere so people can find it) ;)

It's easier to find the fix over at PCGM, just click the Darksword - Revised mod and look for the link in the very fist sentences of the mod description.
 Bob Lion54
04-07-2005, 9:41 AM
Thank you ChAiNz!!!!! The fix worked. I love this thing. You should win "mod of the year"!!!! *thinks* To bad there is no "mod of the year." oh,well. If there was, you would win!!!
:cool:
 Juha Avery
04-07-2005, 12:30 PM
FREAKING AMAZING!!!! kinda reminds me of the Daywalker sword.

I better dload and give it a shot and let it stay on some of my party friends.
 Guyver619
04-07-2005, 2:11 PM
Very freakin cool mod :-)
 StoneDragon
04-07-2005, 4:15 PM
Chainz: Thanks! :D
 Glamador
04-07-2005, 7:55 PM
One CAN put folders in a zip file even if you can't see them. Just unzip the whole folder and the subfolders will create themselves. Now of course i still want this to be classified as a lightsaber b/c as stated above you need that to use force jump and other feats you know?
 ChAiNz.2da
04-08-2005, 9:47 AM
Originally posted by Glamador
One CAN put folders in a zip file even if you can't see them. Just unzip the whole folder and the subfolders will create themselves. Now of course i still want this to be classified as a lightsaber b/c as stated above you need that to use force jump and other feats you know?
As far as the zip file, not everyone unzips the entire file before placing the files where they want them to go. I for one drag-n-drop the files directly from the archive to their destination... so without prior knowing of which file is what... it's only going to lead to more posts on "which file is which color there's 9 of the same"... something I really want to avoid.

PLUS, .rar files compress better. I've already warned others when I released the Xia mod from KotOR that I was switching formats to .rar from now on. There's been ample time to prepare.

For the Force Jump, ...I intentionally made the Darksword a sword for that reason. Without it, there's no real advantage to getting a lightsaber other than the 'pretty color'. The Darksword was always meant just as a supplement until you get to build your own, and as a non-force user getting a better melee weapon option.

I'm not sure, but I think you can change the itemtype column in the baseitem.2da to the value of a lightsaber (again, I'm at work and have no visual reference). Also check the columns labeled specfeat and forcfeat (something with feat in it)...
'll try to check what needs to be changed when I get home from work :D

But just so everyone knows, I never meant the Darksword to replace the saber, therefore it has it's disadvantages as well :)
Page: 1 of 2