Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Firefox, Explorer, or an alternative

Page: 1 of 1
 Dagobahn Eagle
03-27-2005, 1:58 PM
Some time ago, my brother downloaded Mozillla Firefox for his laptop (which I sometimes borrow as it's the only computer in the house with Internet connection:p).

I have to say I'm quite impressed with its capabilities. It does a wonderful job at loading pages less than half as fast as Internet Explorer does; Even with our Broadband connection, www.galactic-conquest.net) can take more than 5 seconds to load fully whereas with Explorer it's there in an instant.

As for the beloved pop-up stopper: No such luck. Mozilla doesn't stop all banners or pop-ups, nor does it do a good job at displaying them correctly (it's sometimes messed up, as shown (http://www.geocities.com/midgardeagle/FireFox.jpg)*). At least Internet Explorer never messes them up.

Internet Explorer has had a tendency of crashing latelly, which is why I'm using Firefox (read: why I'm stuck with Firefox). The good sides of it, though: Supposedly it has better a better privacy system (I don't know if that's true or not, though).

But eitherhow, my question is: What do you prefer, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, NetScape, or some alternative?

*Drag link to address bar.
 swphreak
03-27-2005, 4:47 PM
Tabbed browsing is the best. Also, the security vulnerabilities FireFox has- er... nevermind. Where was I? Oh yeah, I don't get any popups at all. The built in search engine is nice. Instead of installing google toolbar (which I wouldn't do anyways), I can just search through FireFox. And with AdBlock, I can block flash ads or entire frames so ads don't show up on a site period. That is if I can get AdBlock to install.

FireFox does have it's problems, but it is far superior to IE.

As for loading times, your galconquest site loaded at the same time for IE and FF for me. about a second (No I didn't moidfy my FF to make stuff load faster). It's either the site, your computer, or your connection.
 Hermie
04-30-2005, 7:03 PM
I am SO willing to live through FFs minor problems so that I can enjoy the goodies such as tabbed browsing, adblock, gmail notifyer, media player controls, and so on and so on.:D
 Fishflesh
05-08-2005, 3:23 PM
i used both firefox and IE and i like IE best, why? simply becose the UI is way better to costumise your own icons and such is a great thing.
 El Sitherino
05-09-2005, 4:34 AM
Originally posted by AckbarNL
to costumise your own icons and such is a great thing. >_> You can do the same with firefox...
 Fishflesh
05-09-2005, 12:24 PM
you can't do much whit firefox ... i tried it all maby you think you can but it wont be in the way i like
 Pho3nix
08-31-2005, 4:45 PM
Firefox. I would never change it. <3
 Jan Gaarni
08-31-2005, 4:55 PM
Firefox.

It may not be perfect in every aspect, but it works much better none the less. ;)

I've almost completelly stopped using IE.
 lukeiamyourdad
08-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Since I use Firefox, I don't get ads nor pop-ups anymore. Only a few sites can display their ads.
I've had nearly no-spyware as opposed to IE which made me have to scan my comp for spyware every week. Now, I do it every month and I rarely get anything.
Tabbed-browsing is awesome, can't live without it now.

I think that Firefox has far less problems then IE, even with the few security vulnerabilities, it is nothing compared to the mess that IE is.
 Snafu7
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I used to use IE, but I switched to Firefox about a month ago, there are a few sites that load weird when I use it, and it does take longer to load then IE, but I really just use it for tabbed browsing.
 Jan Gaarni
09-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Longer to load??

For me it's the exact opposite experience. :confused:
 Snafu7
09-01-2005, 7:50 AM
weird when I used IE, things were instant, and now take a few seconds, so It's not really a big deal.
 Jan Gaarni
09-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, I tested the new SWG website DMUK is working on, with both browsers. This was the first time I had loaded it on both.

The Firefox loaded all the images and text and layout almst instantly.
IE took a few seconds more (not really a big difference, but it's noticable none the less).

There was a music score also that needed to be tested. On Firefox it took about 35 seconds from I hit the link till the music started. On the IE it took 55 seconds.
 Mike Windu
09-05-2005, 11:13 PM
I personally don't care for tabbed browsing too much. I just use it for the security. ;D
 access_flux
09-06-2005, 10:59 PM
I am SO willing to live through FFs minor problems so that I can enjoy the goodies such as tabbed browsing, adblock, gmail notifyer, media player controls, and so on and so on.:D

HEAR HEAR!
 RedHawke
09-08-2005, 1:22 AM
I'm another Firefox convert... will not go back to IE... even under pain of death! :xp:
 RaV™
09-28-2005, 8:45 PM
Voted Firefox.
 90SK
10-12-2005, 9:25 PM
Yeah, FireFox. It was a major improvement over the outdated version of IE I had sleazing about on my computer. And the tabs are a great bonus.
 Pho3nix
10-18-2005, 4:41 PM
I'm going to slay the 5% who voted for I.E
 Hallucination
11-12-2005, 3:25 PM
Firefox here. For me its a little faster, I never get pop-ups and the name is fun to say ;)
 Sithxace
11-12-2005, 4:59 PM
firefox is awesome with the tabbing and mostly its ability to not alow spyware etc on ur pc. Still have problems viewing some sites which can be annoying but overall its awesome! And its only gonna get betetr
 Jeff
11-12-2005, 5:19 PM
Definitely Firefox. I got firefox after I realized how much spyware was on my computer, and I will never switch. I love it. It is so much more secure than IE, and tabbed browsing rules.
 El Sitherino
11-12-2005, 5:36 PM
Tabbed browsing makes reigning down terror upon the helpless so much easier. I can kick multiple asses at the same time, it's brilliant.
 Hallucination
11-12-2005, 8:27 PM
^^So thats your secret.
 darthfergie
11-12-2005, 9:31 PM
As for the beloved pop-up stopper: No such luck. Mozilla doesn't stop all banners or pop-ups, nor does it do a good job at displaying them correctly (it's sometimes messed up, as shown (http://www.geocities.com/midgardeagle/FireFox.jpg)*). At least Internet Explorer never messes them up.

Actually it blocks popups AND ads quite well. Download the Adblock extension. It's constantly updated with a list of popups and ads to automatically block. I love it. I didn't know how much I loved it till I opened my xanga site with IE and got blasted with not only a popup, but there were ads all over the page. It's the same with many sites I go to. I've never even known there are sidebar advertisements on some sites because they're all blocked. Adblock + filterset G = one happy Fergie. :)
Page: 1 of 1