Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

PC Game Engines: The next step.

Page: 1 of 1
 IG-64
03-13-2005, 7:19 PM
With the recent advancements in physics, the development of dynamic lighting in the proccess, and details like reflections, I ask what's next for game engines.

Some welcome improvements would be as so:

Damage system:

If I could only patent this idea. Have you ever had the urge to just bust stuff up? I have. X)
Or have you ever wanted to ride a vehicle in a game and see how much damage has been done to it without having it turn into a pre-modelled damage version of the vehicle?
Or bust up an object wihtout it turning into pre-shaped pieces?
The system would encompass bends, breaks, fractures, holes, craters, dents, chops, slices, you name it.

Depth of field:

Depth of field blur would add nice realism to first person views. But it would have to be able focus on what you want, when you want, without it being a pain in the a$$ and take away from actual gameplay.

Better Melee system:

Melee just plain sucks in games right now. There would have to be a better randomnicity system so moves wouldn't look so repetitive, better collision, and have hundreds of maneuvers, and be completely skill-based. It would have to encompass fistfighting and weapons as well.

I also think that there shouldn't be more and more seperate engines being made constantly, taking up precious time and effort away from actual gameplay. I think several companies should get together and make one massive, perfect engine that would encompass all aspects of gaming, and continue to release updates via internet over the years to keep up-to-date. This massive engine would be put up (with a price, of course) for all game developers to use.

So I ask you, what would you want to see happen (realistically) with upcoming game engines?

I can also describe my ideas in detail if wanted.
 shukrallah
03-14-2005, 8:02 PM
I agree with your idea that a bunch of top notch companies should work together to make the "ultimate engine"

It should be able to handle graphics and processing power with ease, so lesser systems can use it, without leaving out details.

Imagine, the HL2 engine being able to run on a p3 1.0 ghz 128 RAM and with a geforce 256... It would sell. Those graphics with low specs... coolness.

It should be so easy to modify that a user with average computer skills (and some helpfull tutorials) can easily make there own games... of coarse, they would have to pay for the engine, and need a liscense to distribute it.

Infinate possibilities with photo realistic graphics. An all-in-one system, you can model, map, and create whatever you want with an easy to use interface. Games could be completed in months instead of years. Then when your done, it compiles it all together so people can't mess with it.
 swphreak
03-15-2005, 9:35 AM
One reason why I don't think companies will ever work together to make the "ultimate" engine is because of arguments over ownership rights/other lagal junk of said engine.

I'm actually not that impressed with the Source engine. All that flashy dothingies are pretty useless when you have to load every 10 minutes (using a high end computer on med graphics).

I rather they focus on gameplay instead of engine.

I also agree about melee fighting in games. Especially in [hacking/slashing] RPGs (because fighting games have good melee and stuff).
 El Sitherino
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
One reason why I don't think companies will ever work together to make the "ultimate" engine is because of arguments over ownership rights/other lagal junk of said engine.

100% correct. People are greedy, and everyone involved would want a huge amount of credit without splitting.

I'm actually not that impressed with the Source engine. All that flashy dothingies are pretty useless when you have to load every 10 minutes (using a high end computer on med graphics).
What was amazing about the engine was that you had lots of possiblities, with minimal drawback. The coding was great. The thing is that it relies heavily on the processor, fix that and you've got a near perfect engine.

I rather they focus on gameplay instead of engine.

2 different areas. The people that make the engine don't determine how it's used. That's the game makers. Talk to the people that are incharge of the games developement.
The engine is just a platform.
 swphreak
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
2 different areas. The people that make the engine don't determine how it's used. That's the game makers. Talk to the people that are incharge of the games developement.
The engine is just a platform.

It still cost developers money to either make an engine, or use someone else's and do the license thingy. Money that was spent developing an engine or using another could be used towards gameplay.
 El Sitherino
03-15-2005, 6:48 PM
It still cost developers money to either make an engine, or use someone else's and do the license thingy. Money that was spent developing an engine or using another could be used towards gameplay. More money doesn't mean better gameplay. If they thought the gameplay was fine, that's the fault of the game developement department. It doesn't matter how much was spent on the engine, it's pay for the job, not pay for the quality use.
Page: 1 of 1