Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dash Rendar.....

Page: 1 of 2
 TheOutrider
11-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Ive always thought Dash Rendar was cool. Ive played a game called Shadow Of The Empire and it never says if he dies. Does he die, if so how?
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 11:07 PM
He dies at the end of Shadows of the Empire (the book anyway). His ship gets hit by a piece of debris, and that is how he dies. I don't remember the exact details of the battle though. I think it was on Coruscant.
 ronbrothers
11-12-2004, 11:36 PM
In the book he dies, but I always have been under the impression that it was intended for his survival to be a matter of inerpretation.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Perhaps, but you would think that they would have picked up the storyline by now. They could be increasing the suspense, or not yet decided how to use him, or some other reason; but I think it is more likely that his death was supposed to be definite.
 Astrotoy7
11-13-2004, 6:07 AM
In the book, it was written as more definite that he died. However in the game it was deliberately scripted that his death, and the ships critical damage was moreso staged to facilitate his escape.......

but dont just take my word for it of course :D

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/dashrendar/eu.html)

I hope someone else can remember this, but I am almost sure he may have been mentioned in the NJO, although may not have actually appeared/spoken etc

in additon, the outrider is the damn coolest SW ship EVAR !
http://www.sithclan.net/ccg/images/outrider.jpg)

mtfbwya
 primalunderdog
11-13-2004, 9:34 AM
Cool,i did not know that.thanx
 Jan Gaarni
11-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Yes, it turns out he seem to have made it. :)

There's something about it in the "Ask the Jedi Council" section.
 TheOutrider
11-13-2004, 1:37 PM
Cool Ive always like Dash and his cool armour!
 TheOutrider
11-14-2004, 4:11 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
In the book, it was written as more definite that he died. However in the game it was deliberately scripted that his death, and the ships critical damage was moreso staged to facilitate his escape.......

but dont just take my word for it of course :D

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/dashrendar/eu.html)

I hope someone else can remember this, but I am almost sure he may have been mentioned in the NJO, although may not have actually appeared/spoken etc

in additon, the outrider is the damn coolest SW ship EVAR !
http://www.sithclan.net/ccg/images/outrider.jpg)

mtfbwya Indeed the Outrider is a cool ship, THATS WHY ITS ME NEW NAME:D
 Astrotoy7
11-16-2004, 4:25 AM
Originally posted by TheOutrider
Indeed the Outrider is a cool ship, THATS WHY ITS ME NEW NAME:D

tis a cool ship and name to boot.... I like the levels you get to play as the outrider in the Shadows of The Empire Game :D

My friend has a model of the outrider, its pretty awsome. The only other similar cool ship are the other modified freighters in the X-Wing Alliance game :) sorta like the falcon but with the cockpit bit in the middle, rather than on the side :)

mtfbwya
 coupes.
11-16-2004, 4:42 AM
I rembember him dyinging in the book, but if I remember correctly, when you beat the game on N64, you saw a cutscene that shows he faked his death for *can't remember reason*.

Also he appears in XWA and helps free some bothans I think, and I beleive this happens after the events in SotE...

I could be wrong.
 Skinkie
11-16-2004, 5:54 AM
Doesn't he reappear in the comic Shadows of the Empire:Resurrection, or something like that, maybe Shadows of the Empire:Evolution, that sounds right too.
 Darkside_tanro
11-16-2004, 8:52 AM
Dash was my favourite Non Jedi Character. Of course before I got very much in EU i didnt care much for jedi. Dash indeed does have the Best Ship period. The outrider was just wicked. I still have the little toys of dash and his ship. Also i Have IG-88 and Xizor and luke From SotE and Chewbacca from SotE. I loved SotE
 Astrotoy7
11-17-2004, 5:11 AM
Originally posted by Darkside_tanro
Dash was my favourite Non Jedi Character. Of course before I got very much in EU i didnt care much for jedi. Dash indeed does have the Best Ship period. The outrider was just wicked. I still have the little toys of dash and his ship. Also i Have IG-88 and Xizor and luke From SotE and Chewbacca from SotE. I loved SotE

If only the old rumours of a SOTE cg movie were true, that wouldve been cool.... though, I wonder what the SW TV series will be all about ;)

mtbwya
 swphreak
11-17-2004, 8:41 AM
Originally posted by TheOutrider
Ive always thought Dash Rendar was cool. Ive played a game called Shadow Of The Empire and it never says if he dies. Does he die, if so how?

If you beat the game at a higher difficulty, you see an additional cut scene after the explosion. He is alive and well.
 Samnmax221
11-17-2004, 4:58 PM
By the way I looked in the databank and it says all sorts of stuff that happended after his supposed death where was this covered?
 CapNColostomy
11-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
If you beat the game at a higher difficulty, you see an additional cut scene after the explosion. He is alive and well.

Arrrggg you beat me to it. I played that game a bazillion times through on every difficulty level. And yeah, he lives. So does that goofy ass robot of his, "Leebo" I think it was? Yeah. They fly around in hyperspace at the end of the game saying...things to each other that I don't quite recall.
 Astrotoy7
11-19-2004, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Arrrggg you beat me to it. I played that game a bazillion times through on every difficulty level. And yeah, he lives. So does that goofy ass robot of his, "Leebo" I think it was? Yeah. They fly around in hyperspace at the end of the game saying...things to each other that I don't quite recall.

hullo CapN ! welcome to the EU forum...... sid you play SOTE on n64 or did you have the pc version ??

mtfbwya
 CapNColostomy
11-19-2004, 8:31 AM
64. That was a good game for its day.
 Skinkie
11-22-2004, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Yeah. They fly around in hyperspace at the end of the game saying...things to each other that I don't quite recall.

Dash: Leebo... I have to make a confession
Leebo: What is it Dash? You can tell me anything you know
Dash: Leebo ... I... I... I think I love you
Leebo: I'm sorry Dash, I don't think I'm equipt to service you in those facilities....
 Astrotoy7
12-04-2004, 6:31 AM
I listened to an interview with SOTE author Steve Perry at StarwarsEnDirect t'other day.... he mentioned that book and game endings were planned from the outset, with the game revealing Dash's survival. According to him, Dash did make a quick apperance in the SOTE Evolution comics, which actually focussed on Guri IIRC.... :p

I still think though, Dash made some type of appearance or mention in the NJO series... Keralys might know, or even shok...

mtfbwya
 Shok_Tinoktin
12-04-2004, 6:57 PM
Some people think he made an appearance, but it is not for sure. Apparantly, a person was described in a scene and people think it was a cameo of Dash, but they never said who it was (in the story or otherwise). I didn't notice when I was reading it, but I read something about that somewhere recently. I'll try to find it.
 Astrotoy7
12-05-2004, 5:30 AM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
Some people think he made an appearance, but it is not for sure. Apparantly, a person was described in a scene and people think it was a cameo of Dash, but they never said who it was (in the story or otherwise). I didn't notice when I was reading it, but I read something about that somewhere recently. I'll try to find it.

yes, just like the fett cameo in TUF ! there, but not for long !

if no one here knows, I may venture down the dark path to my old haunt at TFN, where Ive been EU forumming since 1999 ;)

mtfbwya
 Shok_Tinoktin
12-05-2004, 3:48 PM
This is all I have ever seen about it, from the TFN Books FAQ Page (http://www.theforce.net/books/hot_topics.shtml):

I know I'm probably alone on this one - but is Dash Rendar ever gonna be featured in anything other than Shadows of the Empire and his brief appearances in the sequel and Rebel Dawn?

I assure you, you are not alone in your desire to see more from Dash. Unfortunately, no one at LucasBooks seems to feel that way. Some people believe he had an offhand cameo in the NJO, consisting of something along the lines of "a main with reddish-grey hair was standing in the distance", but unlike Bollux's similar appearance, no one official will say that it was definitely Dash. He did have a role in The Doomsday Ship, part of the Galaxy of Fear children's book series, though whether or not it's worth reading is debatable. And by the way - are you sure he was in Rebel Dawn? It's been a while, but I don't seem to remember him being in there anywhere.
 benTantilles
12-06-2004, 6:35 PM
he was indeed in shadows of the empire: evolution, which happened some time after ROTJ. guri bumped into him at a bar at the end of the story. so yeah, he did survive...

and the mission in x-wing alliance where dash helps secure the superfreighter over kothlis or bothawui actually occurs during SOTE, not after it. which is an interesting point to note, actually... weren't all the pilots supposed to have been bothans? how did ace azzameen and other human pilots off the liberty/defiance get to fly with luke then?

still a fun mission, though. =D

O, and by the way.... thanks for your kind words, astrotoy & master keralys, in my previous thread.

benT, for creating this thread you should be dipped in honey and auctioned on a gay website.....

good thing you guys didn't get around to actually doing that. =p
 Astrotoy7
12-07-2004, 3:53 AM
Originally posted by benTantilles
...good thing you guys didn't get around to actually doing that. =p

benT, welcome back :D as for the honey dip and auction, dont think we've forgotten, that damn thing is still going. If I ever become a mod here (*;)*) i'll close that thing before you could even say JAWA :p

mtfbwya
 Jan Gaarni
12-07-2004, 5:51 AM
*waiting for BenT to say JAWA*

:D
 Astrotoy7
12-08-2004, 1:50 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
*waiting for BenT to say JAWA*

:D

does that mean im gonna a mod here, you of all ppl Jan know I have the EU skillz to pay the billz :p

mtfbwya
 Jan Gaarni
12-08-2004, 10:59 AM
No, it means, he'll say JAWA before you get to close this thing down. ;)

What that means is not that you don't have a chance, it's not even up to me, but that he has had several days to say JAWA already. :p
 Astrotoy7
12-09-2004, 5:08 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
No, it means, he'll say JAWA before you get to close this thing down. ;)

What that means is not that you don't have a chance, it's not even up to me, but that he has had several days to say JAWA already. :p

Bah ! does it mean I'm gonna have to sleep with someone....coz Im not doing that again :(

jk.

ON TOPIC:
I wouldnt mind getting my hands on SOTE PC...I have been searching for it....proving difficult to find !

mtfbwya
 TK-425
12-15-2004, 4:18 PM
Cant you get it at lucas arts? Anyway jedispy is working on a SOTE mod for JA.
 Samnmax221
12-16-2004, 11:08 AM
That wuold be nice as much as I loved the SOTE, I hated the weapons. It allways feels like they slapped those together at last minute.
 TK-425
12-16-2004, 3:03 PM
Do you have Jedi Academy, fellow minnesotan?:D
 Samnmax221
12-16-2004, 5:15 PM
Yah what part of Minnesota you from?
 Astrotoy7
12-17-2004, 1:15 AM
Originally posted by Samnmax221
Yah what part of Minnesota you from?

c'mon TK....and Sam.... I know its cool to come across ppl form your home state/city/country, but unless you want to add something about Dash Rendar and SOTE, you should pm each other :D

As for the SOTE game, I played it the other day on my friends N64 ! Not bad, considering its age. I would like the PC version, but dont wanna pay ridiculous prices for it, I think ebay is my best bet atm :(

mtfbwya
 benTantilles
12-17-2004, 7:17 AM
JAWA!

...and i'm still not covered in honey! nor are you a mod! haha, got you there astrotoy....

Yeah, SOTE was a great game. In fact, it was the game that got me interested in star wars in the first place. I'm not sure if Lucasarts still distributes it to stores-- you can probably check out their website to see if they do. I think i remember seeing a few sold under the Electronic Arts name (new packaging, different cover). You might be able to have it shipped to you from the lucasarts store, or even other online stores like amazon.com.
 Samnmax221
12-17-2004, 7:39 AM
Right i'll remember that
 eastcoast2895
03-11-2005, 9:03 PM
i was just looking through some of my star wars novels and thought about the shadows of the empire and wondering if any one else but me thought that dash rendar should be included in more EU books. Then I saw this forum and decided to make a post.

so is there anyone else but me that thinks Dash Rendar should be in more EU books. spoilers for those who haven't read shadows of the empire or played the game and beat it on hardest difficulty

i know that he "died" at the end of the book, but correct me if i'm wrong wasn't the game and comics as official as the book? so the secret ending of him surviving and him appearing in the shadow of the empire comics seem to me enough confirmation that he is still alive and kicking during the NJO books.

he is my favorite EU character and top 5 character from the star wars universe. just thought he'd be a cool character to bring back every now and again because unlike lando and han (yep i see differences between him and han) he seems a little more seedier and scummier. maybe not by much, but in my opinion he will do more illegal and dirtier things than either of them because he never had that gotta look out for somebody other than me moment that han and lando have gone through.

just a thought.
 Card
03-12-2005, 8:06 AM
Hey, that would be a good idea to bring him back. He is not my fav. char. but i remember when i was playing ''StarWars Shadows of the Emprie'' i enjoyed ''Jumping'' around killing and passing to the next level.
 Astrotoy7
03-13-2005, 5:27 AM
Firstly, Card and eastcoat... welcome to the EU forum ! There was an older thread about Dash a while back, ive resurrected it and merged it with this one...

carry on !

mtfbwya
 eastcoast2895
03-14-2005, 1:08 PM
thanks for the welcome and thread resurrection. i wonder how long before it dies again.
 Astrotoy7
03-17-2005, 8:07 AM
heh. you can always expand the number of threads displayed , this will show alot of the recent topics which may interest you :)

feel free to partake in the trivia thread !!

mtfbwya
 jedispy
03-20-2005, 2:56 PM
Yes I am working on the SOTE mod for Jedi Academy. Someone asked if the game was as official as the comics and book. The answer is yes it is. In the preface of the SOTE TPB, he explains how one can not truly get the SOTE experience unless they:
1. Read the novel
2. Read the comics
3. Play the game.

The reason for this is because the book comes from Luke, Leia, Xizor, and Vader's perspectives. The comics are more on the perspective of Boba Fett & Jix, as well as back side events of Darth Vader (hiring Jix), Xizor (sitting in on a second communication with Vader & Emperor), as well as Luke and others. The game is purely from Dash's perspective.

I thought the idea was really cool. I sometimes wonder what the events of ANH would be like seeing from other perspectives. It would be cool to see Wedge and Biggs' perspectives.

Anyway, yes as others have said, on the hardest level of the game you can see the final cut scene. I have never seen it merely because on the hardest level, it's @#$%ing hard. One shot with a stormtrooper blaster can kill you, even if at full health. The other thing, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to collect all of the challenge points too.

For more info on the SOTE mod, click on the links in my signature. (I'm going to put a better banner in it soon BTW)
 Astrotoy7
03-21-2005, 3:04 AM
I always used to enjoy hearing the rumours about the SOTE CG project...but with the offical announcement of the 2006 TV series, that rumour is all but dead :( :p

It was nice seeing the SOTE characters in the CCG though :)

mtfbwya
 jedispy
03-21-2005, 11:12 AM
I still think they should do a SOTE CG movie. Of anything in EU, I think SOTE has the most potential to be an actual movie project. Other stories (like Splinter in the Mind's Eye, Vision of the Future, Truce at Bakura, etc...) are cute at best, but not really worthy of canonical recognition.

Sorry that this doesn't have anything to do with Dash Rendar, but has there been any more word on the TV series?

Anyway, Dash is cool. There...now we're back on topic.
 eastcoast2895
03-22-2005, 12:10 AM
just wanted to say as soon as i saw ur mod, i bookmarked the page. great idea on making the book scenes not in the original game.

dash is cool, wonder who'd win in a fight him or boba fett.
 jedispy
03-22-2005, 7:35 PM
Well that's kind of up to you
In SOTE game, Dash and Boba Fett fight. We're going to make that fight occur in the SOTE mod.
 eastcoast2895
03-23-2005, 1:22 PM
totally forgot about that level in the 64 game. still i wonder what would happen in a fight to the death or ship vs ship.
 Kurgan
03-23-2005, 2:01 PM
I only played the demo of SOTE. It had nice graphics (at the time, better than JK1) but the gameplay was kind of crappy IMHO. Sure, the ship flying (battle of hoth) level was fantastically fun (remember, this was before the Rogue Squadron series), but that's it.

Now it seems the Demo has problems on my system so I never played it again. I've never tried the full game, but I haven't seen it in stores. : P

I did read the comic and the novel (both of which I own), and even listened to the album (yes, there was an album).
 jedispy
03-23-2005, 2:30 PM
still i wonder what would happen in a fight to the death or ship vs ship.
1 on 1: I would put my money on Fett only because we have canonical footage. Plus Mandalorian armor is cool.

Ship to ship: My money goes with Outrider. The outrider is a more modern fighter with all the bells and whistles. Slave 1 is Boba Fett driving his daddy's 1956 Ford T-Bird right after it aired on MTV's Pimp My Ride. Looks cool, but still old. My Imperial credits would be on Outrider all the way. I could see Dash piloting and Leebo gunning from the turrets (or visa versa). Even if Boba Fett tried to fire a missile at him, the Outrider has enough instrumental precision to target missile weapons (ref SOTE novel). I think Outrider would B!^C# slap Slave 1.
I only played the demo of SOTE
I have the N64 and PC versions. I like the PC version better. N64 came out first, and the cutscenes are rather lame. The PC version has actual 3d rendering and animation. They did a pretty good job at making Luke and Leia not look too retarded. Game play was pretty much the same, but graphics (textures) are better. The Outrider space battles are perhaps the best part of the game.
Page: 1 of 2