Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

About lightsabers

Page: 1 of 1
 Ellderon
03-04-2005, 1:42 PM
Can someone please send me the 3dMax models (exported from the game) of a normal lightsabre and malak's lightsabre?

I want to look into those files to see why every large lightsabre mode has an unmoving color cristal, and if possible make a REAL large lightsabre..
 Ellderon
03-04-2005, 2:22 PM
DOH! forgot to post my E-mail... email bad

I would extract the files myself, but I don't have KOTOR 1 right now and KOTOR2 model format isn't figured out yet.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Ellderon
Can someone please send me the 3dMax models (exported from the game) of a normal lightsabre and malak's lightsabre?

I want to look into those files to see why every large lightsabre mode has an unmoving color cristal, and if possible make a REAL large lightsabre..
The model shouldn't have anything to do with an un-moving color crystal. As long as there is an upcrystals.2da entry for the .uti file you should be able to move crystals around at your leisure?

Changing the color of the blade can be as simple as either Hex-editing the model or a simple color .tga name-change....

This was the whole basis for my KotOR Longsaber Crystal Pack (http://www.pcgamemods.com/7994/). I wonder if this brings back bad memories for RedHawke, Achilles & T7... heheh (Remember This? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138494))

Duplicating my mod using TSL's Malak model wouldn't be that hard to do, and doesn't involve GMAX at all. Feel free to dissect my mod to see how it was done :) Or read the linked thread above for details and a few good laughs at my expense... hehe
 Ellderon
03-05-2005, 3:20 PM
Strange..every MOD for greatsabres I've seen so far has unmoving color crystals...and those that do move are special crystals.

what I'm trying to make is a two-handed lightsabre that will work with normal crystals, just like a shortsabre works with crystals from a normal lightsabre...

By all logic it MUST be possible...But I'm afraid untill the new model format is cracked and a importer/exporter made, it's impossible...
 ChAiNz.2da
03-05-2005, 4:26 PM
what I'm trying to make is a two-handed lightsabre that will work with normal crystals, just like a shortsabre works with crystals from a normal lightsabre...
That's what I had tried to do with the Longsaber Crystal Pack. After all my confused babble in the thread I linked above, I came to the realization that it's necessary to have the special crystals because Malak's model saber isn't referenced in the upcrystals.2da. So I had to create the crystals (and model variations) to compensate...
Keep in mind, this was because I wanted to retain the normal model length sabers in the game as well.

If you don't care to "lose" the regular length sabers, you'll still need to make a Malak model variation (and .uti) for each color crystal in the game... then reference those in the upcrystals.2da under the longmdlvar column... that comes to 13 models if you count Visas & Freedon's...

All of this can be done with a Hex Editor, no need for GMAX. I believe Malak's model of saber (also in TSL) is w_lghtsbr_006.mdl

The reason all of the greatsabers (I like that) have un-moving crystals is because the other "regular" color greatsaber models don't exist unless the modder made them as well...

trust me, I beat myself up for weeks over this during my introduction to modding in KotOR... if it weren't for RedHawke, Achilles & tk102... I'd probably still be trying to figure it out... ;)
 Ellderon
03-05-2005, 5:24 PM
Wait a sec..lemme see if I (or you) got this right..

I want to make a new weapon TYPE (like vibrosworsd and viroblade are two different types and lightsabre and short lightsabre are).
As such, it should work like a normal lightsabre (alltough it should use both hands and do 2x damage + have massive criticals)

I've been modding various games for years, and If I'm sure of anything, than it's that itshould be possible to do.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-05-2005, 5:46 PM
Wait a sec..lemme see if I (or you) got this right..

I want to make a new weapon TYPE (like vibrosworsd and viroblade are two different types and lightsabre and short lightsabre are).
As such, it should work like a normal lightsabre (alltough it should use both hands and do 2x damage + have massive criticals)

I've been modding various games for years, and If I'm sure of anything, than it's that itshould be possible to do.
Correct. You can make it a new weapon type with an entry in the baseitems.2da (to make it 2-handed, require specific feats, and such) but you're still going to need a model variation for each color you intend to use. You'll also need to create a .uti file for each model to hold your stats such as the extra damage and other modifiers. KotOR 1 & 2 do this with their sabers (there's a model & .uti for each color)...
Using an analogy that was given to me, the crystal acts as a key. In order to unlock the proper .uti (with linked model), you'll need the proper key...

ie - Since the upcrystal.2da references only the short, regular & double-saber lengths... you'll need to adjust your upcrystals.2da so that it references the longer Malak model. Being there's no '4th column' to tell the game that standard green crystal also unlocks a greatsabre...you have to make the special green crystal that opens the green greatsabre (or whatever color)....
 Ellderon
03-05-2005, 6:08 PM
There is no way to add another column, is it?
*looks at Fred Terta and hopes*

I don't want to overwrite one of the normal types...
 ChAiNz.2da
03-05-2005, 6:19 PM
There is no way to add another column, is it?
*looks at Fred Terta and hopes*

I don't want to overwrite one of the normal types...
Unfortunately no :(

I feel your pain, that was my dilemma...

You can however add extra lines in your upcrystals.2da to support your greatsabre (what I wound up doing in the end)... which since no matter what route you take (in order to use the Malak model) you've got to make the model variations, it's just a matter of time involved. As long as you make a model for each color, you can be a crystal-swapping happy camper :)

Since it will still require a special crystal rather than the standard, I know it's a dissapointing solution... but I'd almost guarantee it would get a ton of downloads if you pursue it... I'll be more than happy to help along the way if you want...
 Ellderon
03-06-2005, 4:00 PM
Well..I could allways ovveride the short lightsabre model, thus turning it into a greatsabre (greatabre models with same model names as shortasabre ones and a bit of 2da editing) couldn't I?

Is there any hope Fred Terta will include adding columns on a future KOTOR Tool?
 ChAiNz.2da
03-06-2005, 4:08 PM
Well..I could allways ovveride the short lightsabre model, thus turning it into a greatsabre (greatabre models with same model names as shortasabre ones and a bit of 2da editing) couldn't I?

Is there any hope Fred Terta will include adding columns on a future KOTOR Tool?
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine the coulmns and such are hard-coded
(shhh... nasty word.. bad things happen when you say it out loud ;) )...

The Magic-8 Ball would probably tell you "Outlook Not So Good", though I'm the farthest thing from a coder / programmer ... hehe
 Darkkender
03-06-2005, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
I'm not sure, but I'd imagine the coulmns and such are hard-coded
(shhh... nasty word.. bad things happen when you say it out loud ;) )...

The Magic-8 Ball would probably tell you "Outlook Not So Good", though I'm the farthest thing from a coder / programmer ... hehe

This is a hard-coded element into the games engine itself for KOTOR. It seems while they make things a bit more tricky in TSL they seem to have a variety of new modder friendly features in the file formats.

I for one am planning to approach the crafting of a custom GUI layout for a build item workbench. This is a direct result of discovering the limited new 2da file insertion method I demonstrated in the painted droid armor mod.:D
 Ellderon
03-06-2005, 5:50 PM
Hardcoded?
I doubt it..KOTOR engine is a beefed up NWN engine (found bunch of referenced to elves, dwarvs and different spellschools in the 2da files)

The columns are main sabre types from the baseitmes.2da

there is no logic in hardcoding that..

Anyway, no one answered my question - can I replace the shortsabres with greatsabres? Would they work normally then?
 Darkkender
03-06-2005, 6:15 PM
Hardcoded?
I doubt it..KOTOR engine is a beefed up NWN engine (found bunch of referenced to elves, dwarvs and different spellschools in the 2da files)

The columns are main sabre types from the baseitmes.2da

there is no logic in hardcoding that..

they have hard-coded what each column for the 2da files should contain. The elves & dwarves references are in rows which are different from columns. Within the game engine they have a hard-coded lock saying this type of 2da file will consist of these type of columns. From that hard-coded element the game deciphers all of the data entered in each row to match with the constants provided. You might consider this a programming 101 concept.

Now when you are talking about the baseitems.2da file that is defining a item type. Meanwhile upcrystals.2da is setup to automatically understand that there are only 3 lightsaber types. You could easily define a new type of lightsaber within baseitems.2da lets say. Then you create your new lightsaber referencing the longsaber line item within the baseitems.2da file. Now inside of the upcrystals you create a new row for each of your greatsabers and reference the item uti file in any one of the columns even the one for doublesabers.

basically they hard-coded the game to only accept 3 types of lightsaber for a lightsaber crystal. If it was possible to add new columns too a 2da file it would have already been done more than once in KOTOR 1, long before Fred introduced Kotor Tool. The reason being is there are a few 2da file editors that allow you to add new columns. However the game either crashed or ignored the new columns when it was attempted in the past. This would probably explain why Fred did not include the ability to add new columns to his 2da editor, which by the way was the original foundation for KOTOR tool.
 Ellderon
03-06-2005, 6:48 PM
Allright then - this is what I've done.

I used the longsabre models from the Exile Item Pack (1 sabre model for each color... I have my own models but I cna't convert them yet..).

Now, I changed the name of the MDL files to match those of the standard shortsabres and I did the same for the UTI files (allso changed the ResRef, Tag and the item type to shortsabre)

Thus, a rh_lightsbr_01.uti is now rh_shortsbr_01.uti adn the mdl and mdx files were allso changed (to w_shortsbr_001.mdl etc..)

I allso changed the baseitems 2da and gave the shortsabre far more damage and restricted it to two hands.

I figure this should (more or less) work now?
 Daiko701
03-06-2005, 7:05 PM
Originally posted by Darkkender
This is a hard-coded element into the games engine itself for KOTOR. It seems while they make things a bit more tricky in TSL they seem to have a variety of new modder friendly features in the file formats.

I for one am planning to approach the crafting of a custom GUI layout for a build item workbench . This is a direct result of discovering the limited new 2da file insertion method I demonstrated in the painted droid armor mod.:D

I have a small question about the workbench and adding to the items available for build. I have edited the 2da files for both itemcreate and itemcreatemira to include all of the mods items that I currently use (ie, MavRH prestige class mod, d3sabers, segan wyndh armor, sith lord mask and robes, hoth robes, guardian sabers, exile pack , rh begining items, Beast Gauntlets, Holo Droid Emiter, and maybe a few others) and they all appear in the workbench for creation (they work fine, except the hoth robes mod has a saber that you can't change color crystals or the game crashes). My question is that I have tried to place all of the power crystals that shipped with the game into the itemcreate.2da files so thay may be created at the workbench, they are all listed in both .2da files but they do not show up when I use the workbench. The power crystals from all mods show up and work fine but the original shipped power crystals do not show up. Does anyone know what I did wrong, should they be put in the chemicalcreate.2da instead? I am trying to make it so that if it is in the game it can be created at a workbench or lab if it is needed. So far I can create almost everything at my workbench with the exception of the power crystals, (and a few plot point items)
 ChAiNz.2da
03-06-2005, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by Daiko701
I have a small question about the workbench and adding to the items available for build.
No offense Daiko701, but you should've created a new thread. This is more or less "hijacking" Ellderon's thread and has nothing to do with what he's wanting to accomplish. Just a reminder for next time. :)
Allright then - this is what I've done.
Looks good to me, though I'll admit I had a dozen "storyboard" images going in my head to try and keep track of your steps. I caught myself counting my fingers for some unknown reason... ;)

Everything looks good however from the first 2-3 read-overs...
Though the true test will be an in-game run...

With all of the changes you made, you may or may not have to start a new game so that no new savegame data is "corrupting" your adjustments..
 Darkkender
03-06-2005, 9:24 PM
Originally posted by Daiko701
I have a small question about the workbench and adding to the items available for build. I have edited the 2da files for both itemcreate and itemcreatemira to include all of the mods items that I currently use (ie, MavRH prestige class mod, d3sabers, segan wyndh armor, sith lord mask and robes, hoth robes, guardian sabers, exile pack , rh begining items, Beast Gauntlets, Holo Droid Emiter, and maybe a few others) and they all appear in the workbench for creation (they work fine, except the hoth robes mod has a saber that you can't change color crystals or the game crashes). My question is that I have tried to place all of the power crystals that shipped with the game into the itemcreate.2da files so thay may be created at the workbench, they are all listed in both .2da files but they do not show up when I use the workbench. The power crystals from all mods show up and work fine but the original shipped power crystals do not show up. Does anyone know what I did wrong, should they be put in the chemicalcreate.2da instead? I am trying to make it so that if it is in the game it can be created at a workbench or lab if it is needed. So far I can create almost everything at my workbench with the exception of the power crystals, (and a few plot point items)

Chainz.2da is right this really should be in it's own thread so if a moderator will start us a new thread for this including my answer that would be great.

Other than Chainz's thought that it may be corrupted save game data. I would double check the 2da files both have the same extra data added for the power crystals. Also make certain that you didn't set the alignment and level variables to requirements in which you do not yet meet. Say you set the alignment requirement so that you had to be darkside. If your alignment is like 40 or so your still classified as neutral not darkside yet so it won't show up. The same goes with a level requirement if you set it to 15 and your level 10 you won't see it either.
 Ellderon
03-07-2005, 7:17 AM
LO:...I just hope I got hte models remaned correctly to match saber colours:D

I'll make a quick test adn if it works...yay
 Ellderon
03-07-2005, 7:45 AM
IT WORKS!!!!!

FULLY UPGRADABLE TWO-HANDED LIGHTSABERS THAT WORK WITH NORMAL CRYSTALS!!!!!!

I did mix up a few colours and the sabre name and description doesn't show up properly - BUT IT WORKS!!!!!

Have to fix the few errors...but IT WORSK!!!!!!
 ChAiNz.2da
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
IT WORKS!!!!!
Awesome job! :thumbsup:

So... will this be a public release? :stick: heheh
 Ellderon
03-09-2005, 4:24 AM
Not yet...I may have been to hasty to celebrate..

I loded a older savegame (my cahr has a normal and a shortlightsabre)
the game loaded normally (the excess sabe was put in the inventory).

Now, I gave my PC the silver "shortsabre" and Handmiaden a purple one.
And yep, it looks good - big an imposing, does loads of damage and takes up both hands.
But the name is still shortsabre and the description is that of the shortsabre..

erm..Ok.. this must be coause I loded the game..so I'll just change cistaly.. I did change to blue and green and the name of hte sabres changed to Two-Handed Lightsabre and the description changed accordingly.
but when I exit the inventory I see that the game swtched to the normal length lightsabre????
I put back the silver and the purple crystals - no effect - sabres are still short (but with the description and the stats of the big one)

I'm baffled - the game reads the .uti files whgen I exchnage the crystals, but for some reason moves back to the normal lightsabre model, alltough I do have all big lightsabre models in place???

the strange thing is - no matter what savegame I load, no matter what color "shorsabre" I have there - it's allways using the big model. Wehn I exchange the crystal it reverts back????
 Ellderon
03-10-2005, 4:19 AM
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this????
 Darkkender
03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Have you changed every saber crystal or just a select few of them? Also have you created a new model for each saber or just a certain one?
 Ellderon
03-10-2005, 6:00 PM
Untill we crack the TSL model format and I can import my own sabres, I'm using Red Hawks big sabres from the Exile Item Pack. He made a big sabre model for each colour so it should be fine in that department...

I'm really stumped...
 ChAiNz.2da
03-10-2005, 6:15 PM
Untill we crack the TSL model format and I can import my own sabres, I'm using Red Hawks big sabres from the Exile Item Pack. He made a big sabre model for each colour so it should be fine in that department...

I'm really stumped...
The model format is cracked thanks to cchargin :D

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140293)
 Ellderon
03-10-2005, 7:51 PM
Well, this doesn't really help me, since If I don't know what didn't work with RedHawks sabres...

But I'll give it a try nontheless...
Page: 1 of 1