Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ordering from the UK?

Page: 1 of 1
 Captain Gonzo
03-02-2005, 5:41 AM
It's becoming clear to me now that the European release will probably come some time after the US (? (http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=XB0435)). Keen as I am to get my hands on Psychonauts PC pronto, I'm looking to import it. Even with shipping it will probably be cheaper anyway.

EBGames would be fine, but you can't select United Kingdom, Great Britain, or England from their drop-down box, which is crazy. Huz's blog (http://www.huz.org.uk/news.php?newsid=65&nc=5) mentioned Video Games Plus, but they don't seem to have the PC version (http://www.videogamesplus.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=psychonauts).

Any ideas?
 Alien426
03-02-2005, 7:07 AM
GameStop (http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?sortby=title&searchtype=quicksearch&searchcount=12&keyword=psychonauts&platform=0&find.x=0&find.y=0&find=Search) has the PC version for $US 30 (XBox and PS2 are $50) plus $20 shipping price to my country. I figure with my total being the same as the consoles' game price alone and with the recent drop of the dollar/Euro exchange I can safely buy it... and get giddy waiting for its release.
 Huz
03-02-2005, 1:27 PM
VideoGamesPlus really are awesome! At least, they are if they actually deliver, which I have no reason to doubt they do. ¬¬

I just emailed them to enquire about the PC version, and they emailed back a few minutes later to say they're looking into it. Essentially they're going to make it available for preorder as soon as they're certain they can get hold of it, so I think your search is probably at an end.

Who are you by the way? Should I know you? :)
 Captain Gonzo
03-03-2005, 5:31 AM
Oh yeah, sorry Huz, didn't mean to scare you. No, I am not a deranged fan. I'm Simon, you might remember me from #monkey-island or the Monkey Island newsgroup or something like that ages ago, but I can't remember what my handle was. I've just been lurking around all these communities on-and-off ever since, really.

I think I might have stumbled across your blog a while ago through Thrik's or Remi's, but I can't remember how I found those now.

I see by your latest entry I have terrified you by mentioning the site. I visit it quite often...hope that is okay with you.
 Huz
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Captain Gonzo
I see by your latest entry I have terrified you by mentioning the site. I visit it quite often...hope that is okay with you. Don't worry, I was just kidding! I thought the answer must be something like that. I vaguely remember you now - although I don't remember what your handle was either ;) - nice to know you're still around! I see AGLAMI is still around too, just about.
 The Tingler
03-03-2005, 2:13 PM
Sent a couple of e-mails off to Majesco but haven't heard anything back yet. Amazon.co.uk seem to have it, but down for 1st April which is a little bit untrustworthy.

GameStop don't ship to the UK, do they?

The problem is that most import companies don't give much importance to PC games. For example, I imported Deus Ex: Invisible War and pre-ordered with Chips & Bits (www.chipsbits.com) I think). I decided to cancel my order and changed to Import Madness (www.importmadness.co.uk).

Both were useless, took ages, didn't answer my e-mails, and I eventually got two copies, despite the fact that I'd cancelled one of them.

Videogamesplus are usually okay with pre-orders. Not sure about PC Games though. There seems to be some postal problems at the moment though, because my copy of WarioWare: Touched! is taking ages, and that's what they blamed it on.
 Captain Gonzo
03-03-2005, 2:17 PM
Originally posted by Huz
Don't worry, I was just kidding! I thought the answer must be something like that. I vaguely remember you now - although I don't remember what your handle was either ;) - nice to know you're still around! I see AGLAMI is still around too, just about.
You can still get AGLAMI archives on Google Groups, I find them really quite embrassing now though. I wrote one of the group's FAQ files in about 1998.

I remember I got quite frustrated with it going off-topic and silly, and read it less and less, but I think you'd already finished with it when I gave up hope.

Glad I have put your mind at rest, I guess it must be slightly creepy finding out strangers might read your blog. :)

Anyway, back to Psychonauts import shenanigans. Tingler: Amazon.co.uk have had that page for the Xbox version for a long time, and April's been the date since before Majesco revealed the release month. Also, they don't tend to offer imports, so I think you're right, I wouldn't trust it.

Thanks for the advice/warnings, everyone. Gamestop do ship to the UK (listed as 'Great Britain') so I'll either get it off them or VideoGamesPlus if they end up stocking it.
 The Tingler
03-09-2005, 2:28 PM
Sent a letter off to Majesco and got a reply.

Not true. It will be released in Europe but it's going to be awhile. I
don't have an exact date yet. It's a huge game with a ton of text that
needs to be localized and we're only just getting started on that this
month. We'll keep you posted on the site as that comes together though.

Thanks very much for your note!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:05 PM
To: Psychonauts
Subject: Psychonauts in Europe

Hello there. I have heard a rumour recently that the game I am most looking forward to, PSYCHONAUTS, is only to be released in the US, and not in Europe.
Is this true?
If the game is not going to be released at the same time as the US versions, when will they be coming to the UK?

Thanks for reading my letter,
Chris J Capel

Well, it'll happen, but we don't know when. If you speak English and can deal with an Import site, get it there.
 Thrik
03-09-2005, 2:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned the localization delays in another thread around here.

It will be delayed, but yes there is always the option of simply ordering it from a US-based site. Be careful if you're ordering it for a console though, since a US Xbox/PS2 game will not work in the UK unless you have a chipped Xbox.

I'm not sure if that stands for the rest of Europe too, but I would be led to assume that it does. So, if you're going to import, you'd be wise to stick with the PC version or get your Xbox cracked (naughty but nice).
 The Tingler
03-10-2005, 7:26 AM
Actually, that's not necessarily true. Unlike the GameCube or PS2, there is no enforced regionalisation of games on the Xbox, and there is a growing list of games (see NTSC-UK (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=29356)) that will run on any Xbox in any region.

Will Psychonauts make the list? Perhaps, but don't hold your breath - Knights of the Old Republic 2 (the game I was hoping to get before Xmas) didn't, and it still requires that someone there is willing to import it.
 Huz
03-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by The Tingler
Actually, that's not necessarily true. Unlike the GameCube or PS2, there is no enforced regionalisation of games on the Xbox, and there is a growing list of games (see NTSC-UK (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=29356)) that will run on any Xbox in any region.

Will Psychonauts make the list? Perhaps, but don't hold your breath - Knights of the Old Republic 2 (the game I was hoping to get before Xmas) didn't, and it still requires that someone there is willing to import it. Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that possibility. I had thought Fable was an exception. Good point - I don't suppose there's any reason for Psychonauts to be region locked, so let's hope it's not!

Of course that's not the whole story as you still need a TV capable of displaying at 60Hz to play an import (I think?), but at least one obstacle can be removed!
 The Tingler
03-14-2005, 1:42 PM
Which is pretty much every TV built this century, and quite a few in the closing years of last century.

In fact, don't most games require a 60Hz compatible TV nowadays? It massively improves the frame rate. GameCube is the best way to test - many of its games ask "do you want to display in 50Hz or 60Hz?"
 Huz
03-14-2005, 3:54 PM
Which is pretty much every TV built this century, and quite a few in the closing years of last century.

In fact, don't most games require a 60Hz compatible TV nowadays? It massively improves the frame rate. GameCube is the best way to test - many of its games ask "do you want to display in 50Hz or 60Hz?" Well, not most portables, generally. And most games don't require 60Hz, they just offer it as an option.

Yes, it's more than likely that your TV will support 60Hz (even my old main TV dating from the 80s did), but better safe than sorry!
 monkeyhat
04-18-2005, 6:31 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any news on whether the US Xbox Psychonauts will be region-free? Mines on pre-order, but i'm not really too keen on chipping my Xbox and screwing up Live, etc.

Thanks!

monkeyhat
 The Tingler
04-18-2005, 9:35 AM
Impossible to tell, I'm afraid. Until someone actually imports it and tests it out themselves. Oh, and then tells us.
 monkeyhat
04-18-2005, 9:38 AM
Impossible to tell, I'm afraid. Until someone actually imports it and tests it out themselves. Oh, and then tells us.

I suppose so. I've got mine on pre-order with DVDSoon. They're not exactly the fastest in the world, but once I get it i'll let you know whether it works. If anyone else gets theirs through before hand, please post!
 Jake
04-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Chipping your xbox doesn't screw up live if you get a half decent chip. You obviously can't play Live with the mod chip/bios active, but most worthwhile chips let you turn it all off and reboot for Live. Still more of a pain than its worth for some.
 Joshi
04-19-2005, 7:58 AM
Is there anywhere in the US apart from gamestop that'll ship the PC version?
 Thrik
04-19-2005, 8:02 AM
EbGames, probably.
 Alien426
04-19-2005, 8:04 AM
What's your problem with GameStop? Just choose "UNITED KINGDOM" at their Billing And Shipping Information (https://www.gamestop.com/addrform.asp) page and order it.

Man, those Brits, Great Brits, English, UKer, United Kingdomers...

:)
 James Isaac
04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm kind of ordering it from Gamestop US now... I've added it to my basket already, but I won't be able to 'go to checkout' for a couple of hours. If I leave it for a while, does anyone know if I still get the free T-shirt :p ? And also, how much is shipping to the UK from there?
 Thrik
04-19-2005, 12:37 PM
The shipping is $15, which works out at around Ј9. Since the site is still saying that it's in prerelease mode, I'd imagine that the bonus will stay active until it's flicked to "out", which could happen at any time really. I'd try and get it done as quickly as possible. They may or may not keep the t-shirt bonus active for a short while after it's flagged as released.
 The Tingler
04-19-2005, 1:36 PM
Pre-ordered it last week, and now on the day of release it still hasn't shipped. Bugger.
 KnifeFace
04-19-2005, 5:31 PM
I thought about (pre-) ordering the PC-version, but US-games still uses those old jewell cases (yes, I really love DVD-boxes that much! :P). So, i'm thinking about ordering the xbox-version, but i'm still deciding which online-store...
 Thrik
04-19-2005, 5:39 PM
God, do they? Man, that's going to wreck my totally massive games DVD collection that consists of Half-Life 2, Mario Kart Double Dash, and Beyond Good and Evil.
 The Tingler
04-19-2005, 6:41 PM
Not true. The last PC game I ordered from the US was Deus Ex: Invisible War, and that came in a DVD-size box. Okay, so a fat DVD box (like two stuck back-to-back), but still not Huge Box + jewel case.

In fact their game boxes were in even larger than ours! Hard to believe, I know.
 Jake
04-19-2005, 7:23 PM
International buyers might be able to import the game by way of that super secret announcement Double Fine has set for later today? Maybe?
 The Tingler
04-20-2005, 10:21 AM
You guessed right! And a finer store I couldn't have imagined.

As GameStop (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B646097A) have updated their PC page to "being shipped 4/25/05, as opposed to the 19th, I have cancelled my order with them and ordered with Double Fine direct.

Hopefully this gamble will pay off...
 Joshi
04-21-2005, 5:29 AM
Considering gamestop didn't work for me anyway, it looks like it's doublefine store all the way for me.
 Alien426
04-21-2005, 7:14 AM
Originally posted by Joshi
Considering gamestop didn't work for me anyway, it looks like it's doublefine store all the way for me.
What's the problem?

I can choose your country and apart from that difference it should be the same as my checkout process.
 The Tingler
04-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Hmm. What IS the problem with the PC version?

Double Fine isn't going to ship ANYTHING until May 9th, so that's out of the equation now.

Import Madness (http://www.importmadness.co.uk/cgi-bin/prod?Item_Number=131719) seem my best bet now...
 Thrik
04-21-2005, 12:28 PM
This is purely speculation, but there is the possibility that the PC version requiring multiple cds (since it is not available as a DVD as far as I'm aware) has ended up causing manufacturing delays. I wouldn't go hopping from retailer-to-retailer if I were you, since the chances are that none of them have it yet.
 The Tingler
04-21-2005, 2:59 PM
Fair point. I'm changing to Import Madness because:

A) I've been with them before, I just don't always trust their "Order Status" page.
B) GameStop suggest there might be a problem with my bank account, as my shipping and billing addresses are different. Too much hassle for me.
C) May 9th is bloody ages away.
D) Imp Mad says they're shipping now.
 Joshi
04-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Alien426
What's the problem?

I can choose your country and apart from that difference it should be the same as my checkout process.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea. Yes, I can choose my country, I've put in my details, I've chosen interentional delivery, everything seem to run fine. It's just that it keeps pulling me back to the screnn where i have to put in my details again and again, and I don't know why.

Frankly, I don't care, doublefine are sending it to my billing address (as a posed to my university address 400 miles away) and I don't get home until the end of may anyway. So I'm a little late, I'd considered that possiblilty from the beginning, it's no biggy, just one less thing to distract me from my assignments and exams and one more thing to look forward to when I go home.
 Huz
04-25-2005, 1:34 PM
Actually, that's not necessarily true. Unlike the GameCube or PS2, there is no enforced regionalisation of games on the Xbox, and there is a growing list of games (see NTSC-UK (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=29356)) that will run on any Xbox in any region.Sorry, Psychonauts doesn't seem to be one of them. My Xbox copy arrived from VG+ today. I get shouted at if I try to run it with my pikeychip deactivated.

Of course, it works even less well with the pikeychip turned on, but hopefully that's a problem that can be solved. Grr.
 James Isaac
04-25-2005, 2:53 PM
Hmm... the delay from GameStop is quite annoying, but I've just stuck with them. I reckon its been delayed everywhere, so I'll just use GameStop to make sure I get a Psychonauts t-shirt ;)
 Huz
04-25-2005, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by Huz
Of course, it works even less well with the pikeychip turned on, but hopefully that's a problem that can be solved. Grr. I have got it working on my pikeychipped PAL Xbox now, in case anyone was concerned. You have to fiddle with your video settings and write them back to your eeprom, which is apparently a little risky. EvolutionX provides a nice GUI to do it for you though.

Also, BEST GAME EVER. Really.
 monkeyhat
04-26-2005, 2:48 PM
Originally posted by Huz
I have got it working on my pikeychipped PAL Xbox now, in case anyone was concerned. You have to fiddle with your video settings and write them back to your eeprom, which is apparently a little risky. EvolutionX provides a nice GUI to do it for you though. Also, BEST GAME EVER. Really.
Aiiiie!! Thanks for the info. Best cancel my order then. Unless .. anyone know the cheapest way to pickeychip an Xbox?
 Huz
04-26-2005, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by monkeyhat
Aiiiie!! Thanks for the info. Best cancel my order then. Unless .. anyone know the cheapest way to pickeychip an Xbox? Don't actually call it pikeychipping, whatever you do - just a word I made up. ;)

You can buy a chip and install it yourself for Ј20-30, if you're happy digging around inside your beloved Xbox - have a look at this site (http://www.xbox-scene.com/) for some tips.
 Lyris
05-12-2005, 5:33 PM
NTSC Xbox Psychonauts is region locked.

I just tested this on my modded European Xbox. The game won't boot when the mod chip is turned off.

BTW, I got mine from www.videogamesplus.com) - excellent service, ignore the scabby looking web site.
 Joshi
05-16-2005, 10:20 AM
i recently recieved and email from the doublefine store (sometime last week, i haven't been on the internet much lately, too much work) saying they've shipped my order. it should be waiting for me when I get home in a couple of weeks, which is something to look forward to.
Page: 1 of 1