Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How many times have you played X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XvT & BoP, & XWA?

Page: 1 of 1
 Ham Yoyo
04-26-2000, 6:15 PM
I have to work and go to school and have little time to play. I've been through XvT & BoP once. XWA once. and I'm playing the X-Wing Collector Series for the first time. How many times has everybody played these games?

------------------
My Dream, to fly a starfighter and destroy Imperial ships
 garyah99
04-27-2000, 1:57 PM
I've played Tie Fighter 4 or 5 times, XWA countless times, I've played XvT about halfway through then uninstalled it (that game just plain sucked IMO), I only played about 5 missions from the original X-Wing. It was just too hard, there were no difficulty settings, and every time I lost a mission halfway through a campaign, it would tell me my pilot was dead, I had to replay every mission from the beginning of the campaign. I also uninstalled it.

------------------
Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.
 Primarch
04-27-2000, 5:19 PM
I've lost count how many times I've played XWA (more than ten, less than twenty).
I played all the missions in XvT, some were good, some were bad. I'd like to play it again but I lost the game when I moved... http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/frown.gif)
I recall playing that really old Star Wars Arcade game back in the 80's...that rocked http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
'If the enemy is in range, so are you...'

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions (http://saturn.spaceports.com/~wcsom/index.html)
The Fanfiction Archives (http://phobos.spaceports.com/~archives/)
 Rogue Nine
04-27-2000, 5:32 PM
I've played the original X-W through and through. TIE Fighter kicks @$$ and I still play it occasionally. XvT/BoP was a little disappointing but I still finished it. XWA I must've beaten 15+ times, plus most of the add-ons.
 K_Kinnison
04-27-2000, 9:49 PM
X-Wing i played too many times to count. Especcialy when i got a hold of a mission editor, and pilot revivier. THe death star run is still one of my favorites

TIE Fighter i played about 4-5 times, great storyline, and everyone and a while i bring it out so i can go kick some arse in the MIS

XvT only played it once, and was not too impressed

XWA, i have been playing the SP off and on, and i have completed it 4 Times, once at Easy, Twice at medium, and once at hard. But have mostly been playing online with it, lag and all

Arcade games:

X-wing: Loved that game, too bad i was too young to fully appriciate it when it was out.

Star Wars 3D special addition, play in once a week, and can finish the game with only 2 continues (Those dang Swints are nasty)
 Cloud
04-27-2000, 11:33 PM
I mostly play X-Wing just because of that Deathstar Trench Run ( I love that mission. There's nuthing like going at 450 mglt and firing your proton torpedoes at the exhaust point). TIE Fighter, I never really play much. XWA, I played this game alot...
 Ham Yoyo
04-28-2000, 6:04 AM
Back in 1996 I bought the old DOS version of X-Wing. I played the first tour of duty then got frustrated over the difficult missions and stopped playing. A few months ago I bought the XWCS and have been playing X-Wing. I don't know if the Windows 95 version of X-Wing is any easier than the old DOS version or am I a better pilot than I was 4 years ago. I'm on tour of duty 2 mission 11 and I'm a Commander with over 300,000 points and have won the Kalidor Cresent and all the upgrades including the Diamond Eyes. The XWCS breathes new life in X-Wing and Tie Fighter. I'm finally enjoying X-Wing and I wasn't interested in playing Tie Fighter and being the bad guy untill I bought the XWCS. XWCS is a gold mine to me.

------------------
 Ham Yoyo
04-28-2000, 6:09 AM
I can't wait for the Death Star Trench run Mission. I bet it looks awesome with 3D accelerated graphics.

------------------
 Hans The Great
04-28-2000, 12:58 PM
I never finished playing X-Wing vs. TieFighter or Balance of Power. I've played X-Wing and Tie Fighter 1 and 1/2 times. I've in the middle of playing XWA for the second time.
I mainly play the XWvsTF and TF training missions and the XWA skirmishes for a quick kill thrill.
I have about 90 games on my PC that I have'nt finished playing yet so its kind of like "play this for 20 minutes, play that for 30 minutes, ect..".Never finished playing similar games like Privateer 2 or Freespace2. I think flight sims take alot more concentration than most other games in my opinion (I usually have the tube on while I play) and I need a break from dogfighting every so often.

Anyway, I usually play games for the first time with the cheat codes on just to see if they are any good all the way through then I play 'em again with the codes off. Adds more play life to a game in my opinion
 garyah99
04-28-2000, 2:45 PM
Actually, I find that you should only use cheats when absolutely necessary because sometimes they are more trouble than they're worth. For example: I'm playing "Independence War" right now, and there's a point in a particular mission when your ship MUST take a small amount of damage in order for the plot to advance. If I have the Cheat code for invulnerability turned on, the plot won't advance and the mission just keeps going ang going and going....(sounds like a certain rabbit http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif). Anyway, MY advice is don't use cheat unless you absolutely can't beat the mission any other way.

------------------
 K_Kinnison
04-28-2000, 3:56 PM
Another thing from a Experianced instuctor, don't use cheat codes, or Easy setting, it teaches you bad habits.

"Oh, he fired a Missle at me, well with my Shields full in the Z-95 i should be able to survive th--"

BOOM!! ****MISSION FAILED****

"Oh, no. We lost 2"
 garyah99
04-28-2000, 5:23 PM
Even with full shields, the Z-95 couldn't survive an exploding bag of popcorn!! http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/rolleyes.gif)

------------------
 Hans The Great
04-28-2000, 6:52 PM
My point exactly! Its like playing two games for the price of one. Hey garyh99, I play Independence War too (have'nt finished that one either) and I had the same thing happen to me. I just toggled the cheats off until I get to a certain point then I turn them back on.

Games are supposed to fun. I get plenty of frustration and impossible puzzles at work, I don't need high levels of it when I'm gaming. Without cheating, games like System Shock 2 would be boring, playing the same level over and over again until you feel like a computer. I don't cheat on Freespace2 however (you don't get nailed for picking up 99.9 out of 100 cargo canisters, remember that bug?), its gives you a fighting chance and cheating on any Jane's games is pointless. See, I don't cheat on everything.
 Conor
04-28-2000, 7:32 PM
I've played through X-wing, Tie Fighter and Xwing Alliance about 3 times each. I would have played XWA more but the second CD has a massive crack in it. I have a friend who just got a burner so hopefully he'll burn a new disk from his copy.

I played XvT a lot. I beat every mission on at least medium difficulty and quite a few on hard. I mostly just played a couple missions I really liked though.

------------------
I state that every human being has the right to life, from conception until natural death.
 Darth Massacator
04-29-2000, 3:46 AM
*lol* good one garyah99! I have a ton of space sims so it's difficult for me to finish one and then jump into another. In fact the only games I've officially finished are:

1.) Freespace
2.) Wing Commander I & II
3.) X-Wing Alliance
4.) Descent II

I get so sidetracked because like Hans, it takes some concentration. That and for me, it's hard getting used to one game-engine then just hopping into the next one.

Here's what I've never finished due to frustration or procrastination ...you be the judge http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

1.) X-Wing
2.) X vs T (including BoP)
3.) Freespace 2
4.) Wing Commander Prophecy

...I never purchased Tie, I just can't be an Imperial, and yes, everyone has told me the game engine rocks. Sorry gang, I just *gotta be* Luke Skywalker in my X-Wing http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

....and why doesn't this forum have a crummy X-Wing icon!?!!? Or does it have one and my monitor resolution just sucks and I can't make it out??

[This message has been edited by Darth Massacator (edited April 29, 2000).]
 Ham Yoyo
04-29-2000, 7:33 AM
I played the first 2 battles of XWA with the with Invulnerable turned on and didn't know it. It ruined my rank and score for the whole game.

The only reason I have Tie Fighter is because I bought the XWCS for X-Wing. I don't like being the bad guy but since I have Tie Fighter I'm going to try to play it if my conscience will let me. But my heart will always be with the Rebellion.

------------------
 Rogue Nine
04-29-2000, 9:14 PM
Ah, die hard Rebels.
 Rogue Nine
04-29-2000, 9:15 PM
Ah, die hard Rebels.

------------------
Give me liberty or give me <font size="1">root</font> BEER!!!

[This message has been edited by Rogue Nine (edited April 29, 2000).]
 Keyan Farlander
04-30-2000, 4:53 PM
I didn't get Tie Fighter for along time, because I thought being the bad guy sucked, and believe me, that was a mistake. This game is awesome! You don't even think about being the bad guy because of how the great story works.

------------------
Keyan Farlander

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers."
- Bill Gates
 Tek Gunner
04-30-2000, 11:17 PM
Yeah, at first I was cautious about that whole Imp thing...but a couple of days after I'd be yelling "Die you Rebel Scum!!" at the monitor. It's changed me ever since http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/biggrin.gif)

------------------
"Your just jealous because the voices talk to me"!
TZG -3 Rogue 11<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by Tek Gunner (edited April 30, 2000).]
 Fel Crynyd
04-30-2000, 11:37 PM
I played the orangal x-wing when it came out... that long time ago
I also Played Tie Fighter and Beat it Twice, i wish i could play that game again i can't because i have the orangal and i have upgraded my computer what 5 times since then? I got XvT still and use it to play 3player network games (at work) andi play XWA at least Once a week. The Thing i miss is the Cockpit had all the Info on it not pop-up sceens who misses being shot at and seeing you sheild indactor being broke and hang out of it's slot...
I also miss is the combat simulator with "Historical Missions" (But the B-wing came after the 1 death star) Ohhh like every one else here...
I WANT ONE MORE X-W GAME!!!!!!!!!
 Ham Yoyo
05-01-2000, 7:46 AM
Quote:
---------------------------------------------
The Thing i miss is the Cockpit had all the Info on it not pop-up sceens who misses being shot at and seeing you sheild indactor being broke and hang out of it's slot...
I also miss is the combat simulator with "Historical Missions" (But the B-wing came after the 1 death star) Ohhh like every one else here...
I WANT ONE MORE X-W GAME!!!!!!!!!
---------------------------------------------

I'm enjoying all these features with the X-Wing Collector series. It has X-Wing and Tie Fighter redone with the XvT graphics engine, 3D accelerated graphics, Windows 95 & 98 compatibility and CD music playing during the missions. It also has support for programmable joysticks with throttle controls. The are almost like two different games compared to the old DOS versions.

------------------
My Dream, to fly a starfighter and destroy Imperial ships.
 ME_Jeldren
05-02-2000, 9:18 AM
I played X-Wing + all expansion twice. Tie-Fighter CD once on any difficulty.
I completed most XvT/BoP missions/campaigns on any difficulty. XWA twice
once on medium and once on hard/medium. I like XvT best because it has the
best multiplayer support and no unbalanced crafts like the T/D or the CORTs.
 chetx1
05-02-2000, 12:46 PM
Completed X-wing, TIE-fighter ??? times. The death star trench run rocks. Never bought XvT since all my friends said it suz. But the new XWa gives new meaning to the word
crazy. (The tunnel run IS suicide), the graphics are top-notched too. X-Wing is not hard. It is the only Starwars game which allowed you to take out star destroyers and TIE-Advances in your X-Wing. Tis much harder to do so in XWA

P.S. is there a DS trench run for XWA ?
 xwing_original
05-02-2000, 1:32 PM
I beat X-Wing an uncountable number of times. My favorite mission is *not* the DS trench run. (Ducks as several blaster bolts scream by.) I think my favorite is the old Tour 1, Mission 4, flying X-wings against TIE Fighters and Bombers. I'm working on a multiplayer conversion of that mission for XvT and possibly XWA, just because it rocks. I still find that mission challenging, but now it's a challenge because one bomber always manages to slip a pair of torps by into the Corvette. I try to beat the mission perfectly, without losses and without the corvette taking any hits.

TIE Fighter, that I beat once or twice, and now I just create my own tours of duty to fly. The TIE Defender is the sweetist ship in the game, but it is TOO good.

I hope to get XWA in a week or so, cause I'm kinda broke and need cash.

As for the XWA DS trench run, I believe there's an add-on level for it floating somewhere around here that let's you do that.
 Hans The Great
05-02-2000, 4:26 PM
I like the A-Wing training missions in the old X-Wing game. Those are alot of fun! I would still be playing those missions if my new PC did'nt barf when I tried to run it.

Here's a game that NO ONE will ever finish playing: ALIENS VS. PREDATOR! I've been trying to play it in "honest" mode. Fergit it! Cheating does'nt help that much either (you can't move to the next level in cheat mode!), anyone ever try this game?

At least XWA has real cheat modes so you can see what the whole game looks like.
 Vark111
05-02-2000, 4:27 PM
Well, let's see... I bought the Floppy version of X-Wing and played it on my very first 386 (I know I'm dating myself here). Then bought the Tour of duty expansion (can't remember the name). Then the floppy version of TF. Then *it's* expansion. Oh, then I bought the CD version of X-Wing. Then the CD version of TF. Then XvT. Then the XW + TF Win95 versions. Then XWA!!! Then... http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/frown.gif)

Gee... Now that I think about it... I gave a good chunk of change to LucasArts.

------------------
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
 Conor
05-02-2000, 5:22 PM
I beat AvP with the Marine and Alien. I am on the last level with the Predator but I haven't played it in forever. The bonus missions are fun, and I'm sure I'll get around to them eventually.

I didn't find the game all that hard actually. It just requires a different style. Especially with the alien. 'Explosive bursts of violence followed by sneaking' would just about describe it. http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
I state that every human being has the right to life, from conception until natural death.
 Ham Yoyo
05-03-2000, 6:32 AM
Tour of Duty 1 Mission 4, Protect Medical Frigate. I completed it a few weeks ago. I love missions where you shoot Tie Bombers and Tie Fighters in X-Wings and A-Wings.

I have gave a lot of money to Lucasarts and I would do it all over again. The X-Wing series and JK & MotS Rule. http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
 TK421
05-04-2000, 11:30 AM
I never played the original Xwing, but like everybody says - TIE Fighter absolutely kicks booty! I completed the Collector's Edition more times than I can count. I know there are a lot of die-hard Rebels out there but to me there's just something about being the Bad Guy. Go hide behind your shields rebel dog, While I take out your entire wing in my tin-plate armoured TIE!

Bought XvT, played it through once and threw it on the shelf. Since then I've completed XWA a good half dozen times on Medium and Hard. Now I'm editing XWA and playing it again, the way I want!

Cheating kills the game IMHO, you bought the game so you could face the challenge of completing the story/plot/campaign and surviving against the odds, not to turn on Invulnerability and zoom around at 160MGLT with 0% shield recharge and taking out Imperial Star Destroyers singlehandely!

-------------------
"TK421... TK421, why aren't you at your post... TK421..."
 EMKAY
05-05-2000, 2:32 AM
I've played them all once except BoP
I actually thought the XvT missions were fun
 Ham Yoyo
05-05-2000, 6:40 AM
XvT was good, BoP was better. XWA is the greatest with the Windows 95 versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter running 2nd and 3rd. XvT is best for multiplayer. All of these games are a must have for my game collection.

------------------
Page: 1 of 1