Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Scratched Grim Fandango CD

Page: 1 of 1
 TyraaRane
02-16-2005, 6:47 PM
Okay, so, somehow, my Grim Fandango Disc A got scratched up. I have no idea how, but I suspect my ancient and creaky laptop of something; its CD drive has been having issues lately (it's in a bit of a downward slide and shoud hopefully kick the bucket sometime soon). I thought it worked fine, since I told it to "resume last saved game," my last save was somewhere in Year 3, and it worked fine. But trying to start a new game results in my computer hanging up for a long time until it finally crashes back to the desktop.

Oops.

So, since I bought this game about a year ago...is there a way I can get a replacement disc from LucasArts, or am I going to have to buy the game over again?
 Metallus
02-16-2005, 7:58 PM
Uh, I'm not sure. Both my game CDs (in the cardboard sleeve thing) cracked when I was in the process of moving a few years ago, and I eventually just spent 10 bucks on a new copy (jewel case). I imagine it might be worth finding out, but do you have proof of purchase? I think you have to destroy some part of the instruction manual or game box to obtain it :(
 Jake
02-16-2005, 8:35 PM
Even if the game can't play itself properly, have you tried giving the CD's a good wipedown and burning copies of them? Occasionally you can get a successful burn from a CD even if its scratched, and then just use those instead. Not a guarantee, but worth a shot.
 TyraaRane
02-17-2005, 9:30 AM
Well, good news. I tried polishing up the original CD a bit and then burning a copy, and it worked. The burned copy is able to launch the game, at least, so I'm assuming all the data was recovered fine. Whew. Thanks for your help!
 lost_gamer
02-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Dude, where did you find another copy of GF? I've been looking all over. And even if you could find a downloadable full version for me that would be fine. Just anything. Please. - Very desperate.
 ssdsa
02-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Dude, where did you find another copy of GF? I've been looking all over. And even if you could find a downloadable full version for me that would be fine. Just anything. Please. - Very desperate. Quite simple: eBay (http://www.ebay.com/)!) :)
Page: 1 of 1