Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Shiny Madalorians and non-Plastic Aliens

Page: 1 of 1
 T7nowhere
02-14-2005, 7:59 PM
Ok sinse everyone is releasing new stuff I thought I would share a couple Files That I have in my Override.

NON-plastic Aliens: The goal behind this is to make the Sullustan and Quarren look like they are not made of PLastic.(This is not meant as an insult to the original Artist over at Obsidian, but to Satisfy how I think they should look, Besides all I changed were the Alpha's and Shader)

When I was playing TSL Everything was awesome until I saw the Sullistans, The Skins are great but imo there was too much Alpha used and CM_barmetal should NOT be used on meatbags ;) and so I Made my fix to the texture and changed the shader to Cm_Specmap

Sullustan Edit (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/images/sullustan.jpg) This guy looks like he does in RotJ now :) The appropriate parts are still shiny.

And then I Came across the Quarren that also used Cm_baremetal So I made some changes here as well so that this guy wouldn't look like Plastic.

Quarren Edit (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/images/quarren.jpg)

As you can see the Before pic He is VERY shiny. I think he looks much better in the After Pic, his gills, mouth tenticlle thingys, and eyes Are still quite shiny But it is Subdued abit.

Download edited Aliens (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/files/Aliens.rar)

Shiny Mandalorians:
FOR this one you must own KotOR 1. When I met a Mandalorian for the first time in TSL I was thinking wth is wrong here something about these guys does not look right. I quikly realized that their armor was flat and that it didn't have any shader on it.

I opened the madalorian Textures in PS to find out that for what ever reason Obsidian decided to remove the Alpha Channel from the textures. So what I did was take the N_MandalorianXX textures from KotOR 1 and have them override the ones in TSL, But to make them shiny I also had to make a txi with envmaptexture CM_baremetal and edit appearance.2da by changing the envmap column for Rows 35,351,352 from Defualt to CM_Baremetal.

So to make the Mandalorians in TSL Shiny you must extract these 3 files from KotOR 1

N_Mandalorian01.tga
N_Mandalorian02.tga
N_Mandalorian03.tga

The reason I'm not including the textures is because I didn't make a single change to them and so its not right them for the people that only have TSL. Plus it keeps the download way down in size :)

Mandalorians (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/images/Mandalorian.jpg)
This .rar includes the .txi's and and Edited Appearance.2da
Download Shiny Mandalorians (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere/files/Shiny_Mandalorians.rar)

These are minor edits that I feel make a huge difference in how the game looks.
 RedHawke
02-14-2005, 8:05 PM
Very nice T7! :D

While the glazing on the aliens didn't bother me on the XBox, it is pretty darned annoying on the PC... nice work! :)
 Bubbles
02-14-2005, 8:55 PM
Sullustan's shouldn't have twinkles in their eyes!

Grats on a most spiffy mod.
 Mav
02-14-2005, 9:00 PM
I agree with the Non-shiny aliens, but I will probably keep the Mandalorians looking as they do now, because I like the non-glazed look they have. Great mod though T7. :D
 J'ando
02-14-2005, 9:54 PM
Hey while you're messing with textures and stuff am I the only one whose silver lightsaber looks like they forgot the "blending additive" in the .txi?

If you can just tell me what the name of the silver lightsaber texture is I can fix it myself, hopefully. That is, if they just forgot it. Could just be me tho.
 Darkkender
02-14-2005, 9:55 PM
Thank you for the alien fixes T7. I have to say after my first run through I was disapointed with how the sullastans appeared and the change to the Quarren. However I'm eager to build recruit mod for these races and others as it appears alot of these races can now use swords and those animations. And with the reappearance of the Chandra'fan in TSL we know what they sound like.
 T7nowhere
02-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by J'ando
Hey while you're messing with textures and stuff am I the only one whose silver lightsaber looks like they forgot the "blending additive" in the .txi?

blending additive
decal 1

is in the tpc, it could be that the glow is to close to the edges. But I doubt that. The blue saber has a thicker glower than silver. I think that new green also looks like it is too boxy. Perhaps its just the color that causes it to look like that. I can;t really say though I used Purple through the entire game.
 J'ando
02-15-2005, 6:09 AM
Well if you remember I made one of the first "stand alone" set of white lightsabers for KotOR 1 so I wouldn't think it'd be the color but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time either. Oddly enough tho, turning anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering up makes it a little better each time I go up but only have a Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb 8x AGP card I don't think my system could handle running the game at full AF and AA.

Thanks for the info tho T7, I'm gonna see if jamming a .txi in my over-ride folder will help. Now I just need to know the .tpc name for the silver texture.
 Nodakrattler
02-15-2005, 8:34 AM
So let me get this straight, they didn't change the Mandalorians
except for the shader? Well I guess that makes sense since TSL is 5 years after KOTOR.

In that case did they change anything with the Sith Troopers, or are those textures swapable too.
 SpaceAlex
02-15-2005, 3:06 PM
Great job on these.

I have a question about lightsaber hilts though. I tried to use one of your K1 models in K2, but the game froze up on me when i tried to equip the saber. So for all i know it seems that the model format has changed since KOTOR1. So, is there any way to port those models into K2?
 T7nowhere
02-15-2005, 3:37 PM
^^ Yes, Unfortunately the model formatt is different. Myself and others assumed that sinse we were seeing all the K1 models in TSL that the game engine would still be able to use K1 models.

This is not the case, all the K1 models are incompatible with TSL :(
However cchargin has said he'll look into it when he gets TSL so we might be able to get them in-game within the next couple of months(I hope it doesn't take that long)
 SpaceAlex
02-15-2005, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
^^ Yes, Unfortunately the model formatt is different. Myself and others assumed that sinse we were seeing all the K1 models in TSL that the game engine would still be able to use K1 models.

This is not the case, all the K1 models are incompatible with TSL :(
However cchargin has said he'll look into it when he gets TSL so we might be able to get them in-game within the next couple of months(I hope it doesn't take that long)

Thanks for clearing this up.

I guess we're stuck with the low poly hilt for the time being. :( Well, at least the double-bladed and short lightsaber hilts are decent.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-16-2005, 5:20 AM
Originally posted by SpaceAlex
Thanks for clearing this up.

I guess we're stuck with the low poly hilt for the time being. :( Well, at least the double-bladed and short lightsaber hilts are decent.
Has anyone tried re-skinning one? I'm still knee-deep in gutting things that get in my way so I haven't tried... :D

I know it's not the same as a kick-arse model, but at least it would be something rather than the traditional silver tubes :rolleyes:

Nows a good time to test out those short & double saber skin maps ;)
 Leviathan
02-16-2005, 6:27 AM
Is there a "before / after" screenshot for the Shiny Mandalorians mod ? I would wish to see the difference... :D
 Darkkender
02-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da
Has anyone tried re-skinning one? I'm still knee-deep in gutting things that get in my way so I haven't tried... :D

I know it's not the same as a kick-arse model, but at least it would be something rather than the traditional silver tubes :rolleyes:

Well my guardian of the force lightsaber's are just reskins and I've ported them over and they look about the same. as from KOTOR 1. If anybodies interested they can visit My KOTOR site (http://www.freewebs.com/darkkender/kotormodspage.htm). As I went ahead and posted my Guardian Saber and Build lightsabers at workbench mod there while the boards have been down.

Oh and by the Way T7 I've played through enough of the game now to see a noticable and kick @ss difference in The Sullistans & the Quarren. All I could say was Holy S--- when I saw the difference in the Quarren. Both of the aliens had serious glare and blurring problems prior to this mod now they are smooth and looking good.
 tk102
02-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Hey that looks great T7! I'm glad you did the before/after layout. I going to install this mod before even playing my first-time through.
 Bobo
02-16-2005, 11:27 AM
"New From Hasbro: Plastic Aliens!"

lol

nice work T7
 T7nowhere
02-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Oops, I uploaded the pic but neglected to add it to the post. Here is the before and after pics of the Mandalorians (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere2/images/Mandalorian.jpg)

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

The short and double Seem to be the same, I am using a shortsaber skin I made awhile ago, However I think the single is improved.

I did manage to make something I'm satisfied with for now
my reskin and maps (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere2/images/w_Lghtsbr_070.jpg)
whats used (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere2/images/w_Lghtsbr_001.jpg) The green area is not used but the rest of the colored areas are.
 ChAiNz.2da
02-16-2005, 12:47 PM
First off, oops... kick-ass re-skin/textures T7. I forgot to mention that yes, they do indeed make the eyecandy factor raise 1,000% :thumbsup:

Also, well at least they did a better job of UVmapping this time for the regular saber :D I'm currently getting to the 'meat' of the story of the game so I'm not wanting to take the time off and re-skin something quite yet, but from what I've seen of your work and Achilles', there seems to be some opportunities of making some truly unique skins for TSL.

hehe.. I'm almost more excited about that factor more than the game itself :lol:

Even with all of the quirks of the game (patches will come eventually hopefully), I will give Kudos for the devs for the mere fact that my game graphics run so much more smoothly than KotOR's. The scenes and areas are really nice and fluid, so I'm hoping I'm not an 'isolated' event and everyone's getting to see what I'm talking about. The animations and fighting styles will lend to some truly spectacular mods...

Too bad the cutscene movies alternate between really nice and as Achilles had stated "comic bookish"... :rolleyes:
 AgentCross
02-16-2005, 1:16 PM
Hi all, Im a big fan of the modders here. Anyway, Is there any way to take the files for the Mandalorians Armour right off of the disc? I really want the new textures but I really don't want to reinstall the game for 3 small files and to tell the truth I don't get why you can't post them, but alas it's your choice and I respect that. So can anyone answer my question or do I have to just reinstall?
 T7nowhere
02-16-2005, 4:46 PM
I Don't know if it possible to take them straight from the Disc, I would just reinstall KotOR.

There are a couple reasons I don't want to upload them.

1. I didn't make any changes to the actuall Textures, so Its all Biowares.

2.Because I didn't make any changes I there brings up the legality issue of porting Resources From one game to another. Besides If you want the textures from that game you should own it.

3. I uploaded it to my webspace and I have a limited amount, so it saves that space for other mods yet to come.
 Leviathan
02-17-2005, 6:36 AM
T7, what version of Adobe Photoshop do you use exactly ? :rolleyes:
And how much did you pay it ? :confused:
 ChAiNz.2da
02-17-2005, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
T7, what version of Adobe Photoshop do you use exactly ? :rolleyes:
And how much did you pay it ? :confused:
I can guarantee it wasn't cheap no matter what version. ;)

From past Adobe releases. Base versions, whatever the number, start around $599-$650 when first relelased...they'll eventually trickle down for really early versions.

Keep in mind, this is a professional graphic editing program. Most companies (the intended customer base) buy this in bulk and don't even bat an eye, but for the 'everyday' consumer...it's a bit steep. I don't even want to go into how much my Adobe 'collection' of software runs... but I will say it warrants listing them on my renter's insurance in case I ever had to replace them... :D
 Leviathan
02-17-2005, 8:02 AM
:rolleyes: Do you know if Paint Shop Pro manages the Alpha Channel, the layers, ... In short, all tools needed to modify KotOR's graphics (textures, icons, etc...) :confused:
Thanks !... :D
 ChAiNz.2da
02-17-2005, 8:17 AM
Originally posted by Leviathan
:rolleyes: Do you know if Paint Shop Pro manages the Alpha Channel, the layers, ... In short, all tools needed to modify KotOR's graphics (textures, icons, etc...) :confused:
Thanks !... :D
Definitely. and it's a great program to boot :)

Plus it has equivalent features of Photoshop without having to pay for the "Adobe" brand name on the pretty cardboard box. (PSP's 'tubes' are fun to mess around with as well)...

I'm an old-dog Adobe loyalist (and a mac owner), but I freely and openly admit that Adobe's prices could be "trimmer", considering it's used for Industry Standard, it would make more sense if we had 'realistic' mean$ to access it...
 Leviathan
02-19-2005, 8:03 AM
Finally, I think that I'll buy Paint Shop Pro... It's cheaper and better adapted for beginners... :D
 Harker
02-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Love the alien skins... wish I could grab the Mand armor files... but I uninstalled kotor1 a while back to make room for some apps and other games (don't hate me!!)

If anyone else knows where I can grab them, or is willing to PM them or email them to me, I'd be very grateful!!

Great work as always T7... always look forward to your work.
 FunSolo
02-25-2005, 1:40 PM
Shiny Mandalorians:
FOR this one you must own KotOR 1. When I met a Mandalorian for the first time in TSL I was thinking wth is wrong here something about these guys does not look right. I quikly realized that their armor was flat and that it didn't have any shader on it.

I opened the madalorian Textures in PS to find out that for what ever reason Obsidian decided to remove the Alpha Channel from the textures. So what I did was take the N_MandalorianXX textures from KotOR 1 and have them override the ones in TSL, But to make them shiny I also had to make a txi with envmaptexture CM_baremetal and edit appearance.2da by changing the envmap column for Rows 35,351,352 from Defualt to CM_Baremetal.

So to make the Mandalorians in TSL Shiny you must extract these 3 files from KotOR 1

N_Mandalorian01.tga
N_Mandalorian02.tga
N_Mandalorian03.tga

The reason I'm not including the textures is because I didn't make a single change to them and so its not right them for the people that only have TSL. Plus it keeps the download way down in size :)

This .rar includes the .txi's and and Edited Appearance.2da
Download Shiny Mandalorians (http://members.shaw.ca/t7nowhere2/files/Shiny_Mandalorians.rar)

These are minor edits that I feel make a huge difference in how the game looks. [/B]

umm.. i cant find these mandalorian files in my kotor dir :confused:
so.. what now? what i gotta do?
 T7nowhere
02-25-2005, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by FunSolo
umm.. i cant find these mandalorian files in my kotor dir :confused:
so.. what now? what i gotta do?

You need Kotor Tool (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html) to extract the Textures from Kotor 1-->ERFs-->Textures Packs-->swpc_tex_tpa.erf-->N-->N_Mandalorian01.tga
N_Mandalorian02.tga, N_Mandalorian03.tga

you can either double click the file name to bring up the image viewer and hit the write button and copy them to your KotoR 2 Override Folder or Highlight each texture and hit the Extract file button to extract them to your KotOR 2 Override folder.
 FunSolo
02-25-2005, 4:18 PM
oh well... kotor tool wont open up. gettin a message about somthin with a chitin.somewhat of kotor2 is messed up. so i cant do that., duh.. anyway. thx for the help..
 T7nowhere
02-25-2005, 4:34 PM
Fred Tretra Just released a new version that is compatible with both games. Download the new version.
 FunSolo
02-25-2005, 4:39 PM
i dlґd it at his website, so i think i got the latest release of it. but well. thx.

.oO( so i gotta live with non-metallic look or i reinstall that game.. oh well.. :rolleyes: )
 T7nowhere
02-25-2005, 5:06 PM
Originally posted by FunSolo
i dlґd it at his website, so i think i got the latest release of it. but well. thx.

.oO( so i gotta live with non-metallic look or i reinstall that game.. oh well.. :rolleyes: )

OR you can do what svцsh suggests in this post http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145086&#post1762510)

However you will need some kind of app to edit tga's
 Ghost Down
01-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Hmm .. The download links seems to be down :(

Could someone reupload them?

(And yes, I'm aware of it that this thread is 2 years old :xp: )

- Ghost Down
 T7nowhere
01-06-2007, 1:10 PM
Ok, I fixed the links. Both files should be downloadable now.
Page: 1 of 1