Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix

Page: 1 of 2
 stingerhs
02-10-2005, 5:41 PM
If you are having problems running TSL, and you are using an ATI Radeon video card, chances are your problem can be documented like this:

You go through the character creation proccess and watch the intro movies. Then, the screen goes black with music playing in the backround.

THIS PROBLEM IS QUITE EASY TO FIX!!!

Your problem is that TSL doesn't like whatever version of the ATI Catalyst drivers that you happen to be using. To fix the problem, follow these simple steps below:

1.) Download and Install the latest Catalyst Drivers
The link: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html)

First, select your operating system.
Next, select the "Graphic Driver" option.
Next, select the "RADEON Family" option.
Finally, select your video card from the list.
The next webpage will offer you two download options: the internatonal and the english versions. Choose the one that will do you best.
Its an executable file, so you shouldn't have much trouble installing it.
NOTE: The latest Catalyst Drivers are version 7.1

2.) Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file- Fixes the Dantooine Lag Issue
This edit is no longer required for most ATI users since the Catalyst 5.4 drivers have fixed the Dantooine Lag issue. However, I still recommend this step since the 5.4 drivers still don't give you the best performance on Dantooine.

Also, if you are still having problems with Dantooine, then this step is not optional. You will need to take this step to fix the problem.

First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor2\swkotor2.ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
Under the last line, add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
Goto File, then Save.

SINCE THE 4.11 CATALYST DRIVERS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, THIS STEP HAS BEEN REMOVED. However, if you do manage to find a link to the 4.11 drivers, then please post that information below. ;)

NOTE: All ATI users should check out the handy tweak guide below. thanks to Acleacious for finding it. :)

the link: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html)

anyways, feel free to post questions or comments below. :)
 Darth333
02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
stingerhs:

I heard a lot of people are having issues with the latest Catalyst drivers: 5.1 and 5.2. I am currently running the game with 4.11 and have not encountered any issues so far (from what I have read, this seems to be the driver that works the best for Kotor 2 too )

I have the following machine:
Athlon64 3400+
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
 stingerhs
02-11-2005, 7:02 PM
well, sorry about not replying sooner, but thats because i've gotten tsl to work on my machine. you do the math. ;)

anyways, i've been running tsl without any problems with the new 5.2 catalyst drivers as long as i don't turn on the AA or AF. otherwise, the game freezes after loading 5-6 modules.

during my, ehh, 9 hr binge (made me miss my 8:30 class :rolleyes: ) last nite, i had a silkly smooth framerate with some descent visual quality, although some areas were begging for some good AA. i'm just hoping the AA and AF issues will be addressed in the first patch, well, assuming there will be a patch, anyway.

oh well, if anybody has problems using the 5.2 catalyst drivers with tsl, then post here. i'd be more than welcome to offer a couple of suggestions. :)

note: i had no problems with the frame buffer effects whatsoever. :D
 T7nowhere
02-11-2005, 7:55 PM
my specs:
Motherboard:Asus P4P800 Deluxe
CPU:P4 2.533
HSF:Zalman 7000a alcu
Memory:samsung(2x512DDR333)dual mode
Monitor:ViewSonic P95f+B
Video:ATI Radeon AIW 9700 pro
PCI Cards:Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer
Storage:WD WD80GB
Optical Drives:Lite-on CDRW +Lite-on DVD
O/S:Win XPpro SP1

I'm useing cats 5.1 with Frame buffer, smooth shadows, grass, AA @ 2 and AF @ 4 and the game has been smooth (I mean really smooth. there are still some frame loss when there are alot of particle effects, but I'm getting better proformance than I ever did in KotOR) right until I reached Dantooine

Everthing was fine then all of a sudden it slowed to a halt. I figured that it must have something to do with Framebuffer effects so I turned it off went back to the game and no change so I turned it back on and everything was back to being smooth again :confused: I have encountered it a couple more times and turning off and on frame buffer stops the frame loss.

I also encountered a total game freeze then crash once. There wasn't any warning signs it just froze and 30 seconds later it crashed.
 Darth333
02-13-2005, 9:54 AM
Has anyone tried the following? (sorry, just got to Telos :D )

It seems that the following fixes a framerate issue on Dantooine (Ati cards):

In swkotor2.ini, go in the "Graphics Options" section and add the line:
"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1".
 technobabble042
02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Darth - Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

That made my FPS go from 1 to 20 unless something changed overnight. Now I can finally beat that damn FPS hellhole! -_- Curse you, 4x AGP port! CURSE YOU!

*nervous cough*

Anyways, thanks for the help. Made everything run alot better.
 breadmaster
02-15-2005, 1:44 AM
Of course this doesn't work if you have a Mobility Radeon Chip as you can't use the catalyst drivers.............

The only way to play at the moment is either ti install on my desktop machine (too slow!) or disable movies. This is a bit disappointing......
 stingerhs
02-15-2005, 2:59 AM
^^^^
hmm?? i don't understand why can't you update your drivers for the mobility chip. it uses the same graphics processor, except that its been "under"clocked to save battery power (hence the "go" part, but granted, its still the best mobile GPU).

as far as my understanding goes, you should be able to use the same drivers as a standard radeon card (thus, you should be able to use the 5.2 catalyst drivers). now, if your refering to the catalyst control center, then yes, i can understand where you're coming from. but, thats an optional part, especially since you need the .NET framework installed.
 breadmaster
02-15-2005, 6:44 AM
it's my understanding that the chip is different though?????

source of info for me: click me (http://www.firingsquad.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Hardware&fs_article_id=1516)

you?
 stingerhs
02-15-2005, 7:27 AM
hmm, perhaps i'll just stick to my desktop.... :rolleyes:

actually, i did a little bit of research, and it turns out that ATI doesn't offer the latest drivers for their mobility chips. intstead, they want you to get the latest drivers from whoever manufactured your laptop because of the built-in screen.

i'll refer you to this page:
http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html)

i hope that helps. :)
 breadmaster
02-15-2005, 7:42 AM
wise words there mate - and if you've got a laptop like me then you just have to pray that the manufacturer updates the driver regularly - hah! fat chance.

fingers crossed the next kotor2 patch will fix it......hah! fat chance.

still - i live in hope.......
 Darth333
02-15-2005, 8:20 AM
I am not familiar with graphical issues with Mobility Radeon Chips but I've read at a couple places that you can get Kotor 2 running with Omega drivers, which are based on the Catalyst drivers:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/)

If you try, let us know how it turns out :)
 breadmaster
02-15-2005, 8:43 AM
I'm summoning up the courage to install the omega drivers !
 technobabble042
02-15-2005, 9:54 AM
I run the Omega drivers, have since last summer, and they didn't help me that much. If you tweak any of the settings, let me know, so I can see if they work for me?
 Acleacius
02-16-2005, 6:04 PM
Just thought I would post my solution, till I get a chance to try Darth333's suggestion, im starting a new game and can not check it now.
Go in the options menu select Graphics, then Advanced change the detail from high to medium, then back to high and click ok.
Return to the game and you should be fine.
There are 3 or so maps this needs to be done, I wont list then since its obvious when this happens :)

Edit: PS, im using Omega based on 5.1.
 Kiwegapa
02-23-2005, 1:36 PM
Not only can you use Omega drivers on laptops, you can use Mobility Modder to fix the normal Catalyst driver so you can install it. You can find it at http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/)

Be warned that KOTOR 2 is not designed for laptops or older desktop video cards, and you might not have much luck getting it to run.

KOTOR 2 requires hardware OpenGL 1.3 support on nVidia cards and 1.4 on ATI cards. This is not the version number of your driver, but the functions designed into the chip.
 breadmaster
02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I have now installed the Omega drivers on my laptop and they are great!
(except when you return to Dantooine but methinks there is a huge bug in the game there??)

excellent advice - thanks fellas!
 Kiwegapa
02-24-2005, 12:06 AM
breadmaster, if you mean there is a slowdown on Dantooine, you must edit swkotor2.ini and add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 under the [Graphics Options] section. That should restore your speed on Dantooine.

If you mean later in the game..I've heard there is a problem but I haven't read about it until I finish the game.
 breadmaster
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks mate - i must admit i'd not seached for a solution yet (just turned all graphics to "low" and struggled through)

This forum is great!
 stingerhs
02-24-2005, 2:56 AM
hmm, i think i'll edit the first post (again) to include the "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" since it seems to be the only solution for Dantooine that have ATI cards.
 Acleacius
03-04-2005, 8:16 AM
"Disable Vertex Buffer" setting did not work for me.

I was able to dig up a permanet solution for most ATI cards, thou.

Download the version 4.11 Cats, you can get them here.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=18)

Then extract them but dont let it install, go to the drivers folder and look for the atioglxx.dl_ file.
Then open a dos window and extract that file with this command.
expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
Then place the atioglxx.dll in your KotOR 2 main directory (this works with KotOR as well).
This way you retain your most up to date drivers for all your other games but use the best functioning ATI driver for KotOR 2.
Not my orginal solution, passing it along I tested it and works smooth as silk.
I was droping to single digits frame rate, now when you get off the ship at Dantooine im at 60 fps, SWEET!

Good Luck.
 j3di_sean
03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
^^^

I'm gonna try that out.

I'm assuming that the process of extraction the atioglxx.dll file using dos is the same as using winzip.

So what I'll do is I'm gonna try using 5.2atioglxx.dll in the C:\windows\system32\ folder and 4.11 (or 4.3) atioglxx.dll in the Kotor2 folder.

Acleacius, what catalyst are you using (one for the driver and the one for atioglxx.dll). Also what is your ATi graphic card?
 stingerhs
03-07-2005, 11:32 PM
if this pans out, i'll add this to my first post. i'm also going to give it a try myself. :)
 karto
03-08-2005, 5:29 PM
Originally posted by Acleacius ... place the atioglxx.dll in your KotOR 2 main directory (this works with KotOR as well)....
Thank you so much... that worked like a charm.

Dantooine runs smooth, with framebuffer effects working fine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/karto/noglow.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/karto/glow.jpg)

EDIT: BTW - the ending has to suck very very much to not have made KOTOR2 worth the money.
Its been ages since a game kept me enthralled in its story like this - for the good of my education, I hope their next game is far in the future.
 Acleacius
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
"Acleacius, what catalyst are you using (one for the driver and the one for atioglxx.dll). Also what is your ATi graphic card?"

I am using the 4.11 Cats, I dont think Omega has a 4.11, (I did see a DNA 4.11), for KotOR TSL.

I am using the the Omega 5.1 (no 5.2 yet) and my card is 9800 Pro for all other games.

The author of the Omegas has fine tuned the OpenGL drivers to a degree ATI have not been able to (to the best of my understanding) so all OpenGL games are seeing vast improvements in performance, nowdays.
The one exception seems to be KotOR series (maybe other older games too) which probably is using an older instruction set (I think) and since the engine is on its last days, I can only guess Lucas Arts decided it is not worth the effort or the engine just cant be fixed within reason.

"Thank you so much"

Hey no prob, I am just glad it worked.
Nothing takes the fun out of a great game quicker than crashes/bugs, Ekkk! :)
 stingerhs
03-09-2005, 2:47 PM
i've also confirmed that this works. not only that, but it also gives you a nice little framerate boost. i'm adding this to the first top page as a fix for the game. :D
 j3di_sean
03-09-2005, 9:53 PM
Doesn't work for me though ... damn my system.
 Acleacius
03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
"Doesn't work for me though ... damn my system."

Odd, I am not sure how it could not work, by placing the atioglxx.dll in the KotOR2 directory it overrides you system drvier.

What driver are you using in your main system?
Also are you sure you have the 4.11 version (your putting in the X:\KotOR2) extracted correctly?

Does your ATI card have known conflicts with the 4.11 driver?
 j3di_sean
03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm using a Sapphire X800Pro with Ati Catalyst 5.3 (recently) installed. The game, however, runs smooth most of the time. Except places like Jek jek tar, Goto's ship, Nar shaada.
where frame rate is between 10-30...

Basically, kotor2 doesn't give any glow on my system. So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why. Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?

Mentioned in other thread, 4.3 and 4.2 atioglxx's give glow at the expense of artifacts and permanently disabled AA.

A much older version of atioglxx gave the glow without artifacts and restrictions on the graphic options. But the frame rate is HORRIBLE. At times reaching single digits.

I'm gonna give that DNA 4.11 catalyst thingy a shot...
 j3di_sean
03-12-2005, 12:06 AM
OK. I found out which driver works the best on my Sapphire X800pro.

After testing atiodlxx from 4.4 to 4.11, the best to use is 4.7. It gives the glow, no artifacts, pretty good frame rate, and no restrictions on AA.

Glow doesn't work 4.8 onwards...

Hope it helps.
 Kiwegapa
03-12-2005, 2:41 AM
Wow..you've really put a lot of work in on this, j3di_sean and stingerhs. Thanks.
 Acleacius
03-12-2005, 3:36 AM
"Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?"

Yes and various mirrors, I have only seen orginal ATI 4.11s and the DNA 4.11s.

"So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why."

You might check to make sure you have a line in your, swkotor2.ini
Darth333 mentioned, Disable Vertex Buffer Objects= , except make sure it is set to 0 not 1.
If it is set to 1 it turns off glow, which is what sounds like is happening.
Any hoo, just a thought.

Good Luck.
 j3di_sean
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
As mentioned earlier, using 4.7 gives optimal performance for frame buffer effects. However ...

Drawback: The game crashes A LOT. 6 of 10 times, the game will shut down in between loading areas...
 j3di_sean
03-13-2005, 3:26 AM
I have downloaded a list of DNA drivers.

I've got a problem though ... How do I extract atioglxx from these files? There is no "Open with winzip" option.
 stingerhs
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
if its an .exe file, then startup winzip and open it from there. ;)
 j3di_sean
03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Not as easy as it sounds. Can you try it?

THe best method i can think of is install dna catalysts ONE BY ONE and save the atioglxx files...

Btw, will this spoil my computer??
 stingerhs
03-14-2005, 12:18 AM
easiest thing to do: get the video driver cleanup utility from the omega drivers, run the cleanup utility, install the dna drivers, save the atioglxx.dll file, run the cleanup utility again, then finally reinstall the catalyst drivers.

unfortunately, the people that made the .exe file for the DNA drivers are using a really weird compression format that not even WinRAR can understand. so, you're going to have to take the above steps to get the lone file. kinda sucks, don't it??
 j3di_sean
03-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
kinda sucks, don't it??

Yeah. But I'll give it a shot ... I'll let you guys know how it turns up.

(won't be so soon because I'm having tests this week)
 silkshadow
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Just a data point. I am not sure where I read it originally (it wasn't here though wish I knew about this place on my first playthrough), but the solution Acleacius posted fixed my Dantoine and other random spots problems. I have an ATI 9800XT. I can even crank up antialiasing and antro-whatever now.

I had tried the edit ini thing posted in Lucas's support but that did diddly squat. Actually, before I read the solution with the 4.11 driver, I was just tweaking antro-whatever and it fixed the prob but it was a pain to keep doing that over and over.

I still have the gamma problem though. Everytime I exit KOTOR2 I get blinded by the high gamma of my monitor :(. I should stop playing in the dark lol.
 stingerhs
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
well, i may be wrong, but can't you mess with the gamma controls for 3d mode in the catalyst control panel?? i'd give it a shot, but i'm not at home right now to test it.
 Kiwegapa
03-14-2005, 7:07 PM
The gamma in KOTOR 2 is really wild. Sometimes it'll start the game with a setting not specified in the ini or it will return from the game and set your desktop to a strange gamma level. I myself have only the problem with the game occasionally setting itself really dark.

If the game is too dark/bright: From the main menu or from the graphics options page, adjust the gamma one notch, then adjust it back, and it will be normal again.

If your desktop is too dark/bright: Yes, the ATI Catalyst drivers and the nVidia Forceware drivers both have a gamma control. Again, try adjusting it one notch, then returning it to default.
 silkshadow
03-15-2005, 8:33 AM
Yup that works for me, but it still blinds me when I exit KOTOR before I have a chance to fix the gamma level. ;)
 j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Alright! I've tested DNA catalysts OpenGL's.

DNA 4.7 atioglxx
- with glow
- no artifacts
- no graphic restrictions (AA, AF, etc.)
- no crashes (so far)

Conclusion: DNA 4.7 is more stable than Ati 4.7.

Glow doesn't work for Catalyst 4.8 onwards.
4.6 and 4.7 gives the same results, so use the later one.

Hope it helps...
 stingerhs
03-15-2005, 2:42 PM
sweet!!! although the question is: what steps did you take, and how long did it take for you to get it working?

inquiring minds would like to know..... ;)
 j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
The procedure is the same for any DNA catalyst application.

1. open the program and agree to install the driver

2. DNA program will extract necessary files (INCLUDING atioglxx.dll) into a folder (of your choice) before installing.

3. A message will come up asking you to confirm if you want to remove your current driver. (I use this time to copy the atioglxx.dll from the folder). There are a few atioglxx's there, so take the one from a folder named "normal OGL" (or something of that name).

4. Once that is done, disagree to install the driver. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree to remove your current Catalyst, it gets removed anyway. So I installed Ati Catalyst 5.3 again.
 j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
how long did it take for you to get it working?

Get what working?

I'm assuming you're talking about the atioglxx from DNA. I just put it in the Kotor2 folder.

The extraction of atioglxx for different DNA's were a PAIN though.
 stingerhs
03-15-2005, 11:59 PM
^^^^
actually, i was referring to the whole process of getting the driver from the DNA drivers to your kotor2 folder.

but, now that you've provided the how of the equation, i don't think that it would take too long. i'll give it a shot tommorrow after my 10:30 class and check my results. :)
 j3di_sean
03-16-2005, 6:43 AM
Ati 4.7 - 75% chance of crashing
DNA 4.7 - 10% chance
 Darth333
03-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to point out this guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_1.html) for troubleshooting & optimizing Kotor 2
 Acleacius
03-20-2005, 8:13 PM
Ok, I have a few new things to add as well.

Frist sadly we may have to learn to live without Omega Drviers. :(
http://www.omegadrivers.net/)
I would cut and paste thou it is kinda long.

Second besides the Tweak guide Darth333 mentioned there is a ATI specific tweak guide, here.
Its possible to do some of the tweaks that Omega and DNA do which can be finetuned for your specific system.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html)

Best of Luck to Omgea and Good Luck to everyone getting TSL running great.

BTW Anyone have a clue about the patch?
2 weeks ago Obsidian posted it was in testing/production and would be avalible soon.

Thanks for any info.
Page: 1 of 2