Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A call to arms !

Page: 1 of 1
 PopsiclePete
04-12-2000, 4:46 PM
This is a call to all space sim fans around the world. In an internal memo, Origin, makers of Wing Commander, told the
employees there would be no more Wing Commander games in the [near] future. Hopefully, we'll have more X-Wing and
Starlancer games, but the entire legacy of Wing Commander, Grandfather of the space sim genre, is dead. Some fans are now
trying to have Origin to release the original source code of the WC games so it could be modified by fans. Win95
modifications, new graphic engines patched by fans, etc. could enhance the old WC games and maybe gamers that never had a
chance to discover WC will.

I know there is a great solidarity in the Space Sim fans community and that you'll help us in this endeavour, as I'd have helped if
X-Wing would be on the verge of death. The Wing Commander Source Code Release Project consist in a petition. It's an easy
way to make a difference. If you wish to put your name on the petition, just send me an e-mail with your name and e-mail
adress (perm. e-mail please) at PopsiclePete@angelfire.com .

Please do it. It's only takes a few clicks http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/smile.gif)

Please visit the Projects main page at http://www.wcescrp.cjb.net/) .

Thanks !
 garyah99
04-12-2000, 8:38 PM
Actually Mr. Pete, Lucasarts has already stated emphatically that the X-Wing series is Concluded and there will be no more installments in the series. I wish you luck on your Project, but it is highly doubtful that LA will release the source code for XWA.

------------------
Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.
 Admiral Alistair
04-14-2000, 2:17 AM
LucasArts has probably been able to get away with saying that through technicalities. Rogue Squadron seems similar to the X-Wing Series when i last played it and they will probably model their next flight sims after the first 3 episodes from now on with these ships there for dogfights probably. So in effect the X-Wings would not be a primary ship instead ships like the Naboo fighter will be the ships in the next games if they DO make new ones or more Rogue Squadron type games

------------------
OMEGA_ALISTAIR
admiral_alistair@hotmail.com
OMEGA Ensign,Mission Designer
 Jaren Dereth
04-14-2000, 5:20 AM
It'll be sad to see the death of these classic space-sims, but I can't be too down because there's a dearth of new sims coming out all the time.

The Freespace series is perhaps the finest of the newcomers. Starlancer looks set to up the ante for the genre, and it's sequel Freelancer looks even better. And the dark horse of the genre, Tachyon: The Fringe, is looking better and better every time they release more info(this one renders HUGE space installations extremely well).

So while some of the "old-standards" may be falling by the wayside, there's fresh blood flowing through this genre's veins.

------------------
"If all the world's children were laid end to end, some would be in the ocean........"
- Anon
 Thrawn
04-19-2000, 3:08 AM
The X-wing series is dead. Good game series don't last forever.

------------------
"Have no fear, your local Grand Admiral is here!"
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn
Rogue 6
 Keyan Farlander
04-19-2000, 3:15 AM
There may not be new games, but X-wing will never be dead http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
Keyan Farlander

"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way to factor large prime numbers."
- Bill Gates
 Gold leader
04-19-2000, 7:34 AM
And what about Final fantasy, Thrawn ?
 chetx1
05-03-2000, 4:08 AM
Obi Wan
"Remember, the force will be with you, always"

---------------------
 Tek Gunner
05-03-2000, 4:44 AM
Ummmmkay....

------------------
"Your just jealous because the voices talk to me"!
TZG -3 Rogue 11
 Ham Yoyo
05-03-2000, 6:42 AM
The X-Wing series is alive and well at my house. I'm playing X-Wing for the first time and then I'm going to play Tie Fighter for the first time.I've only been through XWA once and I'm ready to play it again. The X-Wing series RULES!!!

------------------
My Dream, to fly a starfighter and destroy Imperial ships.
 garyah99
05-03-2000, 2:21 PM
If you've never played "Tie Fighter" before, hold on to your hat! The graphics are a little old, naturally, but the game itself rocks!! http://www.xwingalliance.com/forums/eek.gif)

------------------
Every time I think I've found the end of the rainbow...I trip over it.
Page: 1 of 1