Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

24/7 server

Page: 1 of 1
 Zithor
02-09-2005, 6:23 AM
Hello, I am looking for a 24 / 7 server but I cannot seem to find so many. Some I find require money to use and since I can't use my card on the net its no good. Was woundering if there are some free 24 / 7 servers that anyone knows of.........
 razorace
02-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Why do you want a 24/7 server?
 Kurgan
02-10-2005, 9:13 PM
If you want to run a dedicated server, you have two choices:

1) Rent one.

2) Run it yourself.

Now renting usually requires money and usually requires a credit card or paypal. However it may be possible to find a server and negotiate with them some other payment method. IIRC, (at least in 2004), some sites would accept anywhere from checks to Money Order payments in the mail. As long as they got payments on time, your server would remain up.

Running a server yourself can be expensive if you want it to be faster than just cable or dsl, because you have to pay for the T1 or whatever. So typically few people can do that unless they're wealthy or work someplace or go to school where they have access to a spare computer hooked up to the 'net.

Anyone can run a dedicated server though, you have only to download the appropriate files (saves resources than just running it off basejka) from a site like LucasFiles.com.

There's a whole forum here dedicated to running dedicated servers too.

Now that's not to say it would be impossible to get a "free" dedicated server of rental quality, but it would be difficult. The late Jediservers service had a policy wherein if you had a "popular" game related site, you could link them and post ads for them on your site, and in return get a "free" server of rental quality (quality based on how many hits you got for them). Taking advantage of this I was able to get a 12 man JA Siege server from them for 3 months (until they went out of business). Pretty good deal. So do some checking...
Page: 1 of 1