Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Overiding original kotor music?

Page: 1 of 1
 Cloud333
01-29-2005, 9:43 AM
I have used Darth333 tutorial on editing kotor music. The problem im having is placing it back into the game so that it plays over the existing music that was there.

After compressing the wav. file with miles sound tools and renaming it to represent one of the games music files, it wouldent play. I have tried to place it into both the overide folder and the music folder(replacing the original kotor file). However when I turn on the game there is either no music for the corresponding file (when placed in music folder) or the same music is playing as before (when placed in overide folder).

I have also tried to alter the original music file, (decompress it, edit it, compress and stick it back into the game). Howvever when its decompressed with miles sound tools it saves under a different file, and still wont play. So I figured to use another file all togather.

Am I doing this right, or is there some other minor detail out there that I may of overlooked?
 Darth_ToMeR
01-29-2005, 9:49 AM
When i edited the music files, i saved my files with MP3 format. then it worked.
I recorded the music file with this http://www.download.com/PolderbitS-Sound-Recorder-and-Editor/3000-2169_4-10342432.html)
 Cloud333
01-29-2005, 10:38 AM
That can't be right. You cant compress files in mp3 format with miles and the game files are also in wav. format, compressed. The files will not even replace each other or "overide" the original file unless the formats are the same.

Though you say you got it to work, could you explain in more detail?
 ChAiNz.2da
01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
For some reason it does work. Shem uses mp3's all the time (over at pcgamemods) for sound mods and they're released mostly in .mp3 format.

You'll need to name your file the exact same filename, (leaving the extension as .mp3) and just remove/backup the original .wav file from the appropriate folder. I usually just re-name the .wav extensions to ".bak" and leave it so I know the original is always there if I need to revert.

Bioware is strange in many ways indeed.... :D
 Cloud333
01-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Holy crap! Your right, very very strange ways indeed!!!

Thanks!
 Leviathan
01-30-2005, 8:00 AM
Excuse me to disturb you, but how can I create sound files for SW : KotOR ?
Cloud333, you said :

I have used Darth333 tutorial on editing kotor music. The problem im having is placing it back into the game so that it plays over the existing music that was there.

But, where can I find this mysterious Darth333 tutorial ?
:p Thanks in advance ! :D
 Leviathan
01-31-2005, 1:18 AM
:( Somebody, please ! :(
 Darth_ToMeR
01-31-2005, 5:10 AM
 Leviathan
02-01-2005, 2:15 AM
:mad: Sorry, but this link does not indicate me how I can create new Wave files compressed using Miles Sound System, just how I can play them ...
 Cloud333
02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Compressing or decompressing files is fairly simple. Just download miles, open miles studio, select the file you want and click compress or decompress.

However as stated earlier in this thread the game will not play compressed wav files that are imported only the ones that are in the game.

On a side note has anyone bin able to decompress 57.wav or credits.wav? I have tried sevral times and everytime it either freezes or the file wont play after its bin decompressed. Anyone have info on this?
 Leviathan
02-03-2005, 9:23 AM
Usually, original SW : KotOR sound files can't be played using Windows Media Player or others ; Only Miles Sound Player can read them.
But, when I compress a standard Wave file to Miles Sound Wave format, this file can be played in WMP !
Have you got any ideas on this "point" ?
 Darth333
02-03-2005, 9:51 AM
You do not need to compress the files to put them back in the game. When I did the Dustil mod about 1 yr ago, I did not "re-"compressed the .wav files.
 Leviathan
02-03-2005, 10:05 AM
Therefore, if I understand well, it is useless to have the Miles Sound System installed on my computer to place my own sound files in SW : KotOR. It's that ?
So, MSS is only useful to decompress existing SW : KotOR sound files to allow "third-party" programs, like WMP or Winamp, to read them ...
Am I right ?...
 Darth333
02-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Depends what you want to do. I needed this when I did the Dustil mod as I extracted existing sound files from the game to manipulate them and make new sound files out of them in order to give Uthar a voice for his new lines.
 Leviathan
02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
I understand better now ...
;) Thank you very much ! ;)
Page: 1 of 1