Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Freelance Police... kicked in its grave.

Page: 1 of 1
 SMNMX
01-28-2005, 2:00 PM
Alas, LEC broke off all negotiations with Bad-Brain to give them the rights and material for Freelance Police, without even a response, LEC terminated the negotiations.

This can be interpreted as LEC essentially saying, "**** you, Sam and Max and adventure fans! BUY MERCENARIES! Stop playing WoW instead of Galaxies! BUAHAHAAAA!!! We're filthy rich!"

Bad-Brain urges YOU to email Steve Purcell and ask him to give them the rights! Or Telltale, I guess. But Bad-Brain won't like me for saying that :eek:
 Jake
01-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Mercenaries isn't that bad of a game, when you really get down to it. :ewok:
 jp-30
01-29-2005, 12:16 AM
From the news update by Metallus;

>> hate to be the one to build up a false sense of hope, so if it all fizzles, just blame jp-30 of Mixnmojo.

Meh. I was VERY careful to provide a clearly balanced, don't get your hopes up, this is Bad-Brain after all, type news post on Mojo.

But if you don't want to blame any of the involved parties, then sure, blame me. I can take it, honest I can.

:sweating:
 SyntheticGerbil
01-29-2005, 9:06 AM
So where the hell did Metallus come from suddenly?
 Metallus
01-29-2005, 9:52 AM
Your mom.
 toenail1
01-29-2005, 4:08 PM
LEC kicks us in the balls yet again.
 amossaunders
01-29-2005, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by toenail1
LEC kicks us in the balls yet again.

youre on here quite a lot, dont suppose you could tell me how to find the stopper for the sno globe as soon as poss could you? IM GOING NUTS!!
 Pork_Soda
01-29-2005, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by SMNMX
BUY MERCENARIES!

Well, at least they did something besides an Star Wars game. Maybe Lucas Arts is actually learning that's there's more options out there then milking the Star Wars cash-cow... nah, I doubt it.
 Udvarnoky
01-30-2005, 6:09 AM
Originally posted by Pork_Soda
Maybe Lucas Arts is actually learning that's there's more options out there then milking the Star Wars cash-cow...

Yeah, like milking the generic third person shooter cow! (Even if Mercenaries isn't all that bad.)
 itchythesamurai
01-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Pork_Soda
Maybe Lucas Arts is actually learning that's there's more options out there then milking the Star Wars cash-cow...

If I reckon correctly, now that Mercenaries is out, everything on the upcoming list from LucasArts is strictly Star Wars. Closest thing we can reasonably hope for from them is another Indiana Jones game, which haven't been that great in my opinion.
 SMNMX
01-30-2005, 1:22 PM
The snowglobe stopper?

Take the bottle of wine in the bigfoot party, take the icepick by the freezer, give the icepick to the guy who bends stuff in the ball of twine, use the bent icepick on the bottle of wine.
 Samnmax221
01-30-2005, 3:46 PM
I can't understand why they wouldn't sell it off they're not making any money off it. THe only possible explanation is they might bring it back out of it's grave. Of course they could just be acting like ass holes now that they have a succesfull game.

Seiruisly (yah I can't spell) if I had an XBox I'd buy Mercianaries but I spend money irresponsibly and can't afford one.
 jp-30
01-30-2005, 4:40 PM
Originally posted by Samnmax221
I can't understand why they wouldn't sell it off they're not making any money off it. THe only possible explanation is they might bring it back out of it's grave.

Another possible explanation, is that because the game engine is made up of a bunch of LucasArts proprietary code, perhaps they'd want to keep in-house for use in future games rather than let an unknown 3rd party get their hands on it.
 badrelgnsf
01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I dont see how they would use code. Its not like they are transfering any part of the remade game over along with the rights. I could be nieve but eh. Whatever the hell is going on I despise LucasArts now. This game NEEDS to be remade and I think purcell is the key. That and time.
 jp-30
01-31-2005, 1:03 AM
Originally posted by badrelgnsf
I dont see how they would use code. Its not like they are transfering any part of the remade game over along with the rights. I could be nieve but eh. Whatever the hell is going on I despise LucasArts now. This game NEEDS to be remade and I think purcell is the key. That and time.

Bad-Brain were trying to buy the unfinished code from LucasArts. The 'rights' to the Sam & Max characters are not and never have been LucasArts' to sell.

Now that the negotiations to buy the game code from LucasArts has failed, Bad-Brain is attempting to aquire the character rights from Purcell to use in their own, brand new, Sam & Max game.

We also know Telltale Games (made up of laid-off members of the LucasArts Sam & Max 2 team) has expressed an interest in the character rights for the duo too.
 SMNMX
01-31-2005, 2:49 PM
We also know that Steve Purcell is not happy with LEC at all, and definately wants a game made, so SOMEONE is going to get the rights. It just depends who.
 Pork_Soda
02-01-2005, 6:30 AM
The LEC decision to cancel Sam and Max 2 still baffles me. Why cancel a game that was on the verge of completion and had everyone buzzing about it and, quite possibly, cause a revival in the adventure genre.

None of it adds up. The only explanation is that LEC was afraid it would flop, but why make such a crucial decision that far into production?

Oh well, I still think we're going to see a Sam and Max game in a year or two.
 iisaac
02-01-2005, 1:37 PM
Can't they make a great adventure game without Sam & Max? (answer) Some companies create new intellectual properties that sell well! New and obscure game companies can rely on quality to penetrate the market. Bad Brain might like Sam & Max to a point that it's not willing to make their great adventure game without the franchise. Conversely they might want the marketing hype which surrounds a sequel to a unique and popular game. The true reason could be a little of both.

Did Sam & Max kill a forthcoming adventure game from LEC? Would have LEC released the game if it was made with Star Wars intellectual property? Would you like to play "R2D2 & C3PO: Freelance Droids"?
 Samnmax221
02-01-2005, 4:09 PM
No I'd spit on it!
 SMNMX
02-01-2005, 6:35 PM
I thought you said original characters?

I'll never support the Staw Wars cash cow. The trilogy was cool, but it's a little-known fact that Lucas was actually a co-writer for the first two (and half-way into the third), which is why the ones that someone else wrote were more dark and cool, while the ones only by Lucas are filled with picnics and characters named Dooku.

Anyway, for Freelance Droids, I'd go into a game store, take all the copies of the game, throw them on the floor, and violently vomit all over the disks. I hate that idea just that much.

Oh, and Bad-Brain isn't stopping making big games because of Sam and Max, have you been to their site? I'm really looking forward to The Orgastic 4 and kinda exicted for I-Jet.
 SyntheticGerbil
02-01-2005, 8:15 PM
Why don't you eat a dick Isaac?
 Ray Jones
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Because you already suck, Smallbone.
 Samnmax221
02-04-2005, 8:00 AM
:barf: :c3po: :r2d22:

Just like this huh?
 Pork_Soda
02-04-2005, 7:21 PM
Puke on 'em good.
 SMNMX
02-05-2005, 3:26 PM
My thoughts exactly. :sniper9: :rifle1: :c3po: :r2d2::chainsaw:

:devburn: YES THEY BLEED!!! :twogun:
 sheaday6
02-06-2005, 6:27 AM
okay, time to let the thread die
 xChri5x
10-06-2005, 2:19 AM
What is Steve Purcell's email anyways. I wanna bug him about the TV series.
Page: 1 of 1