Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Possible Unused JKA Files...

Page: 1 of 1
 shukrallah
01-27-2005, 4:43 PM
Kurgan asked in another thread about this, so here it is...

I spent almost an hour reading the script files... :-p

Check it out:

Assets1.pk3

UI/Assets/

Theres some kinda cursor control there... I don't know...

UI/Assets/statusbar

This is interesting, pictures of dudes with flags, file names such as "assualt" and "camp"

Were these used in game?

For example: Flagcapture.jpg has a picture of a guy running with a flag.

I assume when someone captures the flag its supposed to display this picture somewhere... I havn't seen it.

Skipping Ad...

Also, even more interesting... the missing areis scripts. Since I script, I pretty much understand what they say, Ive looked at them... but its impossible to really know 100% whats happening without the original .MAP file!

The areis scripts didn't come with JKA, but came with the MP SDK (you know how they released all the scripts from the game... well, this folder full of scripts came with it)

My guess is that it was a level Raven started but didn't finish, and maybe forgot to take out of the MP SDK...

Let me start by saying these scripts are cutscenes and things to control general and complex events during a SP or somethings MP game. This one was most likley SP, considering it has an introduction cutscene, and affects several NPCs.

Some peices of code:

//Generated by BehavEd

rem ( "Just some idle chatter." );

affect ( "lando", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
sound ( /*@CHANNELS*/ CHAN_VOICE, "sound/chars/st_hoth/31st2014.mp3" );
}

Ill try to explain, REM is like a comment.
Affect tells JKA to choose a specific NPC with that name. Although because this one says Lando, it doesn't mean that NPC is lando. The developer just decided to "name" the NPC lando... this has no real affect on the NPC's outward appearence, or behavior.

This script would make the NPC that is nicknamed "lando" play the sound file listed while moving his mouth. But notice that sound file isn't in JKA either... It also appears to be a stormtrooper sound file (hence the ST parts in the filename...)

And this isn't even the most exciting part...

I kept reading the scripts, and I have seen things in the scripts mentioning stormtroopers riding swoops, scripts that put the player on swoops, and references to Rebel soilders and Lambda shuttles.

Even then.. more exciting, in a cutscene they make references to a Star Saber, Claw Saber, as well as the classic Staff Saber.

Whats a star/claw saber?!

From reading the script more, I think the Claw Saber had two blades, while the Star Saber had only one. Of course, the Staff had its two blades.

Perhaps they are just codenames for the usual dual and single bladed sabers? But Star and Claw are unusual and don't fit the description of the Dual blades, and Single Blade sabers.

Take a look:

Some Saber scripting, this pretty much gives the player these sabers, and tells him to turn them on/off.... ect. I shortened them... these are only small bits of the full script, which isn't that big anyways.

//(BHVD)

//(BHVDREM) affect ( "player", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
//(BHVDREM) {
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER1", "SaberStar3" );
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER2", "SaberClaw" );
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABERACTIVE", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );
//(BHVDREM) }

//(BHVD)

//(BHVDREM) task ( "Draw Claw Saber." )
//(BHVDREM) {
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER1BLADEON", 0 );
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER2BLADEON", 2 );
//(BHVDREM) wait ( 1500.000 );
//(BHVDREM) }

//(BHVD)

//(BHVDREM) task ( "Draw Star Saber." )
//(BHVDREM) {
//(BHVDREM) wait ( 1000.000 );
//(BHVDREM) set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_SABER1BLADEON", 0 );
//(BHVDREM) }

Right here, in a cutscene (I presume) the player gets on a swoop and starts driving it around:

affect ( "npc_player1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{

task ( "gotonav" )
{
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "swoop_nav1" );
}

dowait ( "gotonav" );
use ( "npc_swoop1" );

The reason I think its in a cutscene is because the "player NPC" is an exact copy of the Jaden you created, if you pull your saber out, he does too, if you switch your gun, he does too. It adds a more realistic affect to cutscene, for example, if your holding the E-11 and a cutscene comes on, Jaden will be holding the E-11, unless the script tells him otherwise.

Right here, a possibly a stormtrooper jumps on a swoop, but you never know, it could be luke nicknamed "npc_storm1" Although, I am sure they would only give a stormtrooper that type of nickname.

affect ( "npc_storm1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{

task ( "gotonav" )
{
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", "evilswoop_nav1" );
}

dowait ( "gotonav" );
use ( "npc_evilswoop1" );
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_BEHAVIOR_STATE", /*@BSTATE_STRINGS*/ "BS_DEFAULT" );
}

The script continues so ultimatly 3 stormtroopers are on swoops and are proceding to navgoals. A navgoal is a place that the NPC is told to go.

Right here, an NPC "nicked" a name that implies its a rebel NPC boards a lambda shuttle, or what is nicknamed NPC_lambda1. This might actually be the vehicle itself, and not an MD3 model, which means that they may have planned to have space vehicles in SP...

rem ( "Board this shuttle." );

//(BHVDREM) affect ( "npc_rebel1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
//(BHVDREM) {
//(BHVDREM) use ( "npc_lambda1" );
//(BHVDREM) }

This happens a few more times to a total of 4 rebels.

After that, it mentions something about a NPC_Tiefighter.

The tie (by the looks of the script...) flies forward 127 degrees, and fires its gun for... 10 seconds? Strange. This whole Rebel/Tie fighter thing may have just been a test. That may have been what the whole thing was...

Just keep in mind, just because it calls something NPC_Lambda1, or NPC_storm1 or even Lando, doesn't mean it is what it says. Its impossible to tell without the original map file they were using. For example, I could put Luke in my map and call him NPC_Desann, then in the script, someone reading it would think it was Desann, when actually it is luke nicknamed npc_desann. Understand?

Like I said, very interesting. It makes you wonder what might have been... Sometimes these look like test scripts, sometimes they look like level scripts... :-\ but if it was a level with stormtroopers on swoops, Rebel troopers, lambda shuttles, and tie fighters, it sounds like it would have been one awesome level.

Has anyone ever seen these files in use in JKA? I havn't.. so don't laugh if I am totally wrong :-p
 Tinny
01-27-2005, 5:04 PM
Hmm, those sound pretty sweet if you are right. I know a couple people who've bugged Raven into releasing some files from original or source, maybe we can ask them about this .map file. That really would make for a killer sp map.
 Eggman Dr
01-27-2005, 5:05 PM
Hmmm.... Posible...
 Kurgan
01-27-2005, 6:59 PM
Nice find.. interesting stuff!

Perhaps this should be moved to one of the JA Editing Forums and made a sticky? I'm sure it's useful info to somebody... at least it could spark some ideas!

Thanks for posting this!
 Kurgan
01-27-2005, 8:00 PM
Btw, for anyone curious, here's those pics he was talking about... (edited for easier viewing)
 razorace
01-27-2005, 9:45 PM
The icons were probably just some old placeholders or something.
 Neverhoodian
01-28-2005, 1:33 PM
Wow, cool find! The Star and Claw sabers sound intriguing.

Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
The reason I think its in a cutscene is because the "player NPC" is an exact copy of the Jaden you created, if you pull your saber out, he does too, if you switch your gun, he does too. It adds a more realistic affect to cutscene, for example, if your holding the E-11 and a cutscene comes on, Jaden will be holding the E-11, unless the script tells him otherwise.
Hmmm, this sounds like the NPC in the swoop level. At the part right before the cutscene where your contact is killed by a sniper, there's an NPC standing near the building. It looks just like you and will change to any weapon you switch to. I'm pretty sure the NPC is used for the cutscene.
 shukrallah
01-28-2005, 5:08 PM
Originally posted by razorace
The icons were probably just some old placeholders or something.

Good idea.

Remember those squad type commands in siege ("Go for the primary objective!") and stuff like that, it would be cool if it had a little picture display... or something. Same thing with capture the flag, ("defend the flag") and a little picture comes up... things like that.

I'm pretty sure the NPC is used for the cutscene.

You are 100% right. You see the normal player (the one you control) won't appear inside of a cutescene. This is done for a number of reasons, but mainly, I think, so some NPC doesn't kill you or something during the cutscene. So, to solve this problem they made an NPC that sort of copies the player. (Type in NPC Spawn player in the console.. and you will appear!)
Page: 1 of 1