Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sep needs some feedback from the old school gang

Page: 1 of 1
 Seprithro
01-26-2005, 10:54 PM
If you been here long enough to remember this (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p3845982.html) then i need some feed back, which one looks better? that one, or this (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p11169796.html) most of you know i am re-do this for TSL, i am just curious if the new model design to to far removed from the old one? should i give it more of a retro model? or keep this one?
 Mav
01-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I remember that one Sep, don't worry, and as far as the new model, I really like how the hilt is trasparent and you can see the crystal beam and everything, but just a personal quirk thing, I don't like the opening at the top, where the lightsaber actually emerges I guess, it looks a little too bowl-like, but its just my quirk, it's way better than anything I've been able to cook up with my sorry excuse for modeling skills.
 RedHawke
01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
*Looks at the new saber model pic... an expression of utter amazement appears on face... drool starts flowing from mouth... wipes drool on sleeve... regains composure.*

I like the new model just fine Sep, it has the same 'spirit' as the older version does... IMHO, I think the new one you have created kicks as much a** now as the older one did when you first released it long, long ago... in a modding galaxy far, far away! ;)

Just my 2 cents! :D
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Hmm, that was one of my favorites way back when and until a few weeks ago, it was still installed. I only removed it because I had so many custom hilts that I would have sabers lying around not used when I played a full game. I think it looks great and definitely is the same feel as the original. My only suggestion would be to make the hilt thinner by a few centimeters and I agree with maverick in that the emitter needs reworking (just an opinion) Overall, however, the new saber is awesome and definitely looks great! Only thing that bugs me now is that it has reminded me that I have to finish my new saber as well. (I am terrible at unwraping and texturing so I have been avoiding it.)
 ChAiNz.2da
01-27-2005, 1:26 AM
The second one definitely has my vote, though I like the emitter just how it is. BoL_Stryke has a good idea about making it just a tad thinner.
I kinda wished I had with my latest (first) but oh well, we learn as we go ;)

They're both eyecandy however, the second one just cinched a bigger reaction from me at first glance :thumbsup:
 Juha Avery
01-27-2005, 4:38 AM
Really cool hilt, long time ago i dloaded the first one and i liked it so much i used it as my primary saber and now that new one looks sweet i would definately download that for kotor 1 and 2 but after ive finished the 2nd one.
 Darth333
01-27-2005, 6:07 AM
I like the new model as it is but perhaps as BoL_Stryke and ChAiNz.2da mentionned it could be just a little more thinner. I still like the "old" version a lot too. Perhaps you could re-release it with your new model :)
 shosey
01-27-2005, 8:50 AM
Honestly, I like them both. However - I'd have to agree with the others, that the new model could be a touch thinner.

Just my 2 cents :)
 Seprithro
01-27-2005, 9:03 AM
hmm after looking at the all post and the screen really close, i think the thickness is just because of the closeness\angle of the shot.
 Colma Adawin
01-27-2005, 9:08 AM
oh my god!

isnt that the alora del sora? i think thats what you called it :p

i love the new model for it, gr8 stuff

Originally posted by Seprithro
hmm after looking at the all post and the screen really close, i think the thickness is just because of the closeness\angle of the shot.

i like the thickness, big sabres means big crystals, big crystals means big amounts of pain!!! :xp:

MattCole
 Seprithro
01-27-2005, 9:59 AM
i just psoted some screens with default camera view screen1 (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p11182123.html) and one showing all sides screen2 (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p11182124.html) maybe its just me but the other saber looks wider, anyways still to big?
 Darth_ToMeR
01-27-2005, 10:46 AM
It's very nice. I think it's little too long.
 Darth333
01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
i just psoted some screens with default camera view screen1 (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p11182123.html) and one showing all sides screen2 (http://gallery51159.fotopic.net/p11182124.html) maybe its just me but the other saber looks wider, anyways still to big?
No it's not too big. Looks good to me :thumbsup:
 Darkkender
01-27-2005, 12:09 PM

I wish I was old school enough to remember the originals but I must say I eagerly anticipate the release of these new models.
 T7nowhere
01-27-2005, 12:10 PM
it looks great sep. Is that the multi mesh hilt or did you manage to make it work all as one mesh.
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Well, now that you psted those screens-DONT MESS WITH IT! :DMust have been the camera angle because it looks awesome there. Is longer than a standard saber but that does not bother me. Just looked big from the first shot and I did not want it to look silly in game.
 ChAiNz.2da
01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Given the new viewing angles, I think everything looks perfect Sep... :thumbsup:

you did THAT in 2 hours?!?
... man I suck... :lol:
 Seprithro
01-27-2005, 1:05 PM
good. :D glad you all like it, i am very fond of it myself :D it's a single mesh T7 next time i see you on messenger i'll fill you in on how i did it, i tried every way i could think of, to make multi mesh work, but it never came through like i wanted. it's a tad heavy on the poly side, but it runs smooth in-game. ( i wouldnt recommend equping everyone with two of them or anything like that)
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2005, 1:21 PM
Hmm, single mesh eh. One question in that case-know any good tutorials on UV mapping/unwrapping models for texturing? (Besides the ones in the Modelling tutorial thread, they are not helping me much) When I modelled sabers for JA I used Milkshape and now that I am using GMAX, I can't seem to get my saber to work right. I have all of the animations and tags loaded from the default saber, I have it fully built, but I cannot get the sucker ready to texture-the UV map always comes out funky. (anyone feel free to point me to a link or give advice)
 Seprithro
01-27-2005, 3:52 PM
"(Besides the ones in the Modelling tutorial thread, they are not helping me much)"........really? well thats not good, see if svцsh's tutorials can't help, i can't. I mean he's the one who taught me to model. and i had NO/ZERO/NONE/NOT ANY AT ALL experience with 3d modeling. I hear lots of people posting, that they cant follow or dont understand his tutorials, but i dont get why, I mean if he can teach a total noob(who isn't even that smart) how to do it in a few nights-time, he must know what he's talking about. Here's what i think: (and this isn't directed at you, BoL_Stryke) I think the tutorials are very good, which also makes them very long, so noobs just scan them over, see a few "big" words, and decided man i can 't do this. But trust me guys, you can, I mean i just taught Sketch how in 3 nights. (another modder with NO/ZERO/NONE/NOT ANY AT ALL experience in 3d modeling) and his hilt looks pretty darn good to me. So, here are Sep's modeling tips:

1. read every word of every tut. Svцsh has writen on the subject
2. Practice something easy first, example try to model, uv map, and skin a simple 3d object, like a cross, cartoon bomb, or even a smiley face.
3. repeat step 1.
4 repeat step 3.
5. Finally go back to the top of this list and start with step 1.

Anyone who has truely done everything in that list, and still dosent get it feel free to pm me and ask for help, and I will be glad to help you out in anyway I can ;)
 Darth Stryke
01-27-2005, 4:07 PM
Well, you were right. I re-read one of his tutorials and I think I have figured out the problem. Now...one last question-when is this bad-boy gonna be released? Will you release a KOTOR version before TSL or just wait for TSL?
 90SK
01-27-2005, 4:50 PM
I wouldn't call myself someone from the "old school gang", but IMO your model totally does the skin justice in every aspect. Superb job!:thumbsup:
 Mav
01-27-2005, 7:14 PM
yup, I'm sold I think the first screenshot made it look a little funky, and I finished my first model, and I'm in the process of fixing some bugs, and then I'm going to skin it so I'll be considering these words of yours very closely Sep:

I will be glad to help you out in anyway I can
 RedHawke
01-27-2005, 7:58 PM
Sep,

I'll just have to repeat what I previously said, because I knew your saber model allready was total sweetage...
Originally posted by RedHawke
*Looks at the new saber model pic... an expression of utter amazement appears on face... drool starts flowing from mouth... wipes drool on sleeve... regains composure.*

I like the new model just fine Sep, it has the same 'spirit' as the older version does... IMHO, I think the new one you have created kicks as much a** now as the older one did when you first released it long, long ago... in a modding galaxy far, far away! ;)

Just my 2 cents! :D
And I love the length of the hilt, also I normally hate the color Green for a lightsaber, but that technological terror of a saber you have constructed kicks a**! :D
 ChAiNz.2da
01-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
And I love the length of the hilt, also I normally hate the color Green for a lightsaber, but that technological terror of a saber you have constructed kicks a**! :D
Agreed. The extra length hilt makes it 'stand out' from the rest of available sabers. Definitely something I think that lends to unique-ness of the model and a plus in my book...

@RedHawke,
Yeah, I just can't imagine a "Green"Hawke striking much terror in the Galaxy... Though carrying around Sep's saber could change all that ;) heh
 Hybris
01-29-2005, 7:12 AM
Yo people Hybris is back for a vistit. Now to the subject at hand.
Master Sep they're both beautaful so I say keep both just name the new one like a prototype version of alora-de-sona or something like that.
 Janan Pacha
01-29-2005, 7:27 AM
It looks quite nice (I like the top part where the saber comes out especially), I'm curious though, does it support shaders? So maybe you could somehow link the color of the hilt to the color of crystal you're using. Or maybe I'm assuming too much . . . basically I mean does it sport colors other than green.

I think it'd be a good download for my lightside consular. :)
 Keiko
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 of 1