Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

XBox Drive Replacement

Page: 1 of 1
 Hannibal
01-25-2005, 8:45 AM
I was reading about others having the same problem I am with their Xbox's. The disk read errors and read that XBox is replacing the Thompson drives on the original line Xbox's.

I contacted them and I'm waiting to here from them but I bought mine in 01 and can't play 5 minutes into some games without getting a read error. Anyone else heard anything about this?
 Boba Rhett
01-25-2005, 10:44 AM
I *think* I have a thompson drive too. The're replacing them? :eek: I better check this out.
 Hannibal
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Call 18004MYXBOX and have your serial number ready. I'm going to do it when I get home.

edit: Rhett I'd call them. They said mine is still under warranty so they'll replace it for free (usually costs 79 dollars). Only thing I have to pay for is shipping it to Kentucky.

Check out this (http://www.freewebs.com/xboxdrives/) site to tell if you have a Thompson drive or not.
 Revan Solo
01-26-2005, 8:43 AM
Why are they using different drives? Is it the same with Playstation or Game Cube?
 Hannibal
01-26-2005, 9:44 AM
The Thompson was the initial drive they used for the first roll out.
They probably switched at different points in time so depending on when you bought one could determine the drive you have.

I don't know about Sony or Nintendo.
 Venom750
01-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Mine is the samsung one and the only problem i've had is you have to press it in a few times to get the disk tray out.:( :(
 Boba Rhett
01-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Yep, mine is a thompson alright. :eek:

I wonder how much that would be for shipping. o-o
 Treacherous Mercenary
01-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Most corious.. What tools would I need to replace the Xbox drive? I hear outfitting it with your own drive can speed up loading times? :)

Mine is out of warranty.. Damn 2 month warranty...
 Hannibal
01-27-2005, 4:16 AM
I read that too. People that switched from the thomson to the samsung saw faster loading times on games like KOTOR2.

I wonder how much that would be for shipping.

Less than $80. ;)
 Hannibal
02-08-2005, 5:01 AM
Got it back and load times are much shorter now.:D
Page: 1 of 1