Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Global Dimming

Page: 1 of 1
 toms
01-14-2005, 7:47 AM
The BBC reports that the amount of solar energy reaching the Earth's surface has declined significantly between the 1950s and the 1990s, apparently due to particulate air pollution. Scientists are worried that this global dimming may be disrupting the pattern of the world's rainfall. Most alarmingly, it may have led us to greatly underestimate the greenhouse effect: with particulate pollution being brought under control, a global temperature rise of 10 degrees Celsius by 2100 could be on the cards, rendering many parts of the world uninhabitable.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4171591.stm)

Soooo.... the smog caused by our polution is protecting us from the other effects of our polution. Who would have thought it....

Anyone else starting to see the need for a Highlander 2 style force field around the earth??? :D
 jon_hill987
01-14-2005, 8:34 AM
Bah, I missed horizon!

That is quite disturbing. I have been thinking for quite some time that unless something is done soon it's gonna go bad, but it seems it's worse than I thought.

The sad thing is the govenments are doing nothing about it, even here in the UK where they have signed the treaty to help prevent global warming, they are only pretending to do something about it. They say they want most of our energy to come from renewable sourses by the year 2000 and something, and yet they give the go ahead for a new runway, very hypocritical, especally as air traffic is one of the biggest causes of this poloution.

And America, one of the worst of the polouters (don't say anything, its true) hasn't even signed the treaty.
 El Sitherino
01-14-2005, 9:22 AM
That's because Bush has dealings with oil companies and he gets money for not signing the treaties, of course he won't sign them.
 jon_hill987
01-14-2005, 9:41 AM
Well, yeah. i didn't think it worth mentioning that. everybody knows he takes huge payoff's.
 Druid Bremen
01-15-2005, 4:16 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
That's because Bush has dealings with oil companies and he gets money for not signing the treaties, of course he won't sign them.

I've a feeling that the world will somehow suffer as a result of such a decision..
 jon_hill987
01-15-2005, 10:10 AM
This really won't help...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4176671.stm)

Cheaper air fair, just what the enviroment needs. :mad:
 kipperthefrog
01-15-2005, 4:05 PM
A message to ALL who profit from pollution:

Your Money Won't Matter If You Don't Have A World To Live In. :hang1:
 ET Warrior
01-15-2005, 9:12 PM
<_<

Kip....I dont think there are many people browsing LucasForums who are also profiting from polluting.....
 Druid Bremen
01-15-2005, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
<_<

Kip....I dont think there are many people browsing LucasForums who are also profiting from polluting.....

ET, of course he can't propagate the message to everyone, but I think he's just trying to give us a quote. :P
 kipperthefrog
01-16-2005, 1:21 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
<_<

Then what do they DO all day? It all shows how ignorant they are.
 El Sitherino
01-16-2005, 5:23 AM
Originally posted by kipperthefrog
Then what do they DO all day? ... make money off pollution?
 ET Warrior
01-16-2005, 7:26 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
... make money off pollution?

And torture kittens and puppies no doubt.
 jon_hill987
01-16-2005, 7:42 AM
Well I make money by torturing kittens and puppies...

Seriously this has to stop, as kipper said, it won't make any difference if we have no world to live in, and if the likes of Bush carry on the way they are we may not have a world to live in within our lifetimes.
 kipperthefrog
01-16-2005, 1:31 PM
I hear you John Hill! The polititions and the corperate fat cats think it is a game: When the world comes to an end, then whoever dies and has the most toys wins.

(get it? when the world is wasted, the rich will end up with all the money in the world and nothing to buy!):rofl:
 Mort-Hog
01-27-2005, 6:32 AM
The deadline is 2030. If we haven't seriously curbed our CO2 emissions by then, we'll be incurring irreversible damage. And the world is basically looking at the US, the largest consumer of fossil fuels.
 jon_hill987
01-27-2005, 7:45 AM
Page: 1 of 1