Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The definitive Jedi Academy "Honorz" F.A.Q.: V. 1.0

Page: 1 of 1
 Mithie
01-10-2005, 9:10 AM
This faq will try to address all your jedi academy jedi honor in CTF needs and concerns.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER will be the crazy ffa dueler who thinks Jedi Academy is all about the lightsaber, the jedi honor code, /amslap, /am punish, and other role playing nonsense.

JOE SMITH will be the rational player who plays Jedi Academy because it's a cool fps with force powers and a glowstick.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Hi. This is a star wars game. If you're going to play a star wars game, shouldn't you stick to the lightsaber? Because, hey, that's what star wars is all about, right?

JOE SMITH: While it's true this game is a star wars game, it is still a first person shooter at heart, built on the quake 3 engine. While saber dueling is very fun and is supported in the game, guns are equally well implemented, giving the game a first person shooter feel. The developers spent a ton of time on saber combat, but they also spent an equally long amount of time developing the guns and making them useful.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Well, I think, if you want to use guns, you should go play Quake or Unreal Tournament. Why would you play this game for the guns when Quake or UT is designed to satisfy your gunning needs?

JOE SMITH: Well, you have to remember, this game also includes FORCE POWERS such as speed, pull, protect, rage, etc, which other fps's do not have. This gives Jedi Academy a distinct feel over other fps's that "specializes" on ranged combat. Not only is Jedi Academy faster paced than, say, Call of Duty, the expansive array of forces give jedi academy an extra dimension of strategy and teamwork.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Okay, I still think guns don't belong in this game. I mean, what kind of shameful jedi would use guns?!?!

JOE SMITH: What kind of jedi hops around like a monkey spamming random saber attacks in an arena? Have you seen two heavy users duel each other? Do you know how rediculous it looks? This game is built on the star wars universe/movies, yes, but at the core, it's still its very own unique game. If you would like everything to be accurate to the star wars universe, I recommend Star Wars Galaxies. Guns are here to stay in JKA.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: I think you're wrong about that. I love star wars. I hate to see the game being unfaithful to the movie.

JOE SMITH: Do you have midichlorines? Are you super-genetically enhanced at birth? Did you break 1300 on your SAT's? No? Then technically, you shouldn't be a Jedi, or even playing one. This is a game. You play it for fun, not because you want everything to be like the movie.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Fine fine, whatever gun newbie. Guns are still too powerful. I think sabers should be much better than guns, because sabers are the elegant weapon of a jedi.

JOE SMITH: Guns are very powerful, even in the star wars universe, ESPECIALLY in the EU books. Bounty hunters are feared throughout the galaxy. Why? Because they carry deadly weapons that when used tactically and methodically, can would and even KILL jedi's.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Still, guns are too easy to use. Any newbie can press the trigger and fire. Sabers actually take skill and dedicated practice.

JOE SMITH: This is a myth. Guns are NOT easy to use, due to the comparatively small hitbox coded into the game. This means you literally have to be EXACTLY on target to register a hit. The hitscan weapons (weapons that don't need to be lead), such as the disruptor, are extremely difficult to make hits with because of this hitbox. Other weapons that requires leading have very slow moving projectiles that are very, very slow. (You can outrun a rocket). Newer players might be able to make a few lucky kills by pressing forward + fire with a saber, but they will find guns very very difficult to use. if you don't believe me, try it. Drop in to Chop Shop, grab a rocket launcher, and shoot away. As to the second part of your comment regarding sabers taking real skill, I agree with you. Dueling, at higher levels, take a remarkable amount of skill. However, not many people possess this skill. Go around on most public (non-clan related) servers, such as ........ or OSF, and you'll see players just running around sabering at air hoping to bump into an enemy by sheer luck. This will not work if you have, say, a repeater instead of a saber.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: You say guns are not easy to use, but how come every time I go to Chop Shop or JA+ I get shredded to pieces by guns?

JOE SMITH: The key is to dodge AWAY from the projectiles; not into them.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Whatever, newbie. Look, for example, rockets are definitely overpowered. There's nothing I can do against a newbie rocketeer! I get killed ALL THE TIME by rockets. When I charge them with my saber, they just jump and shoot me. It's unbalanced.

JOE SMITH: If I got killed by a rocket, which is the slowest moving projectile in the game, I would really keep it to myself next time, lest someone laugh at me. There are many ways to counter rockets. Here, I'll list a few:

1. Push (obviously)
2. Pull. You can use pull to disarm the attacker.
3. Dodge. Rockets are very very slow moving. Just move out of the way okay?
4. Protect. You can stand quite a bit of abuse with protect on.
5. Rage. Just hit it, and shoot back.
6. Speed. Hit it, zig zag a bit, and just run away, if you don't feel like engaging him.

There are many more ways to counter rockets and other guns, and all you have to do is just try to think of one instead of whining, okay?

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Well... what about honor? When I have a saber out, you should too. You should turn, face me, bow, and fight me. It's like bringing a gun to a knife fight. It's just... dishonorable.

JOE SMITH: I'll be sure to write you a 500 word declaration of war before I engage you next time you take my flag.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Whatever, lamer. In a real server, you'd be banned.

JOE SMITH: That's why nothing ever goes on in "real" ffa servers. People just sit, chat, role play, hit on "girls" on the internet, and maybe duel once in a while. BOR-ING.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Okay fine. I just wished there were admins on these CTF servers like Chop Shop or JA+ that would ban lamers like you.

JOE SMITH: Unlike most FFA servers, CTF servers are managed by mature, respectable ladies and gents that play this game for fun, not for role-playing-accuracy. Therefore, they'll ban only REASONABLE offenses such as cheating, vandalizing the server, or severe racist comments/personal attacks. They don't ban people for playing the game a different way then they intended. CTF admins aren't nazi's.

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Hey, are you calling me a nazi?

JOE SMITH: Do you own an FFA server?

CRAZYJEDIRPG'ER: Yeah. I'm a fair and dedicated admin. I /amslap and /ampunish losers like you because it makes me feel like a GOD AMONG ME... err... PRE-TEENS!!!

JOE SMITH: Look, bottom line is, I think admins should respect the people who play in their servers, even if they "lame" or "disrespect" the admin. You're an admin. You should be above petty arguments and show more maturity than your patrons. If someone does something you don't like, you should really ask them to stop it and POLITELY insist that they do, even if they flame you back or insult you. It's called authoritative tolerance. If they insist on breaking YOUR houserules, then just kick or ban them. /amslap, /ampunish, and /amsleep just serve to make you look like a total moron. Is this common sense? I sure think it is. But that's not what the majority of the admins do on their FFA servers. I've gotten a few of my friends to do a survey. We took the role of being new JKA players and visited about 60 FFA servers. (It was very thorough. We each went to about 5 servers.). We went in to these servers, asked(politely) some stupid questions, and killed 2 players who had sabers down. Normally, I'd hope (since this is JUST A GAME, and your character getting killed doesn't mean you're dead in real life), that people would take it less seriously and take the time to explain "no, that's called laming. Please don't do that, it disrupts our role playing and chatting session."

Instead: here were the results:

22 servers kicked us without an explaination.
12 servers /amslapped, /ampunished, /amslept us around and make lewd comments, like (omg, laming fag and haha n00by lam0rz)
9 servers made snide remarks, THEN banned us.
6 servers banned us immediately without explaination.
3 servers teleported us into the lava on taspir... repeatedly while making crude remarks.
1 server called me a jew and said I should be gassed, then kicked me.

Only 2 servers (thank you very much) bothered to explain to us what we were doing wrong. We apologized, and had a fun time playing there.

So FFA admins aren't much better than CTF admins, despite their "DEDICATION".

There's something called image and respect. It's what the CTF community values, not superficial "honor and skill with the saber", which dominates most antagonists of gunship in CTF.
 parasiticz
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I've also tried going in to some FFA servers lately, just to see if things were better or worse. It's worse. Funny how us gunners don't kickban them when they come in guns CTF games and ruin them by refusing to play so they can duel.
 [USA]-bLaSt
01-10-2005, 4:03 PM
My clan does Honor Duel, RPG FFA, and NO RULES Full/Force/Weapons/Deathmatch/Instagib.

Even within my own clan there are people all hung up (like this) about being one or the other. I must ask what's the freakin' deal? It's stupid. If you don't like one or the other, don't play it... if you want things done a certain way, put up your own server and do it.

Ultimately I fund my clan (3 servers) so I do whatever the hell I want to do, and that includes both bowing and respecting on the honor duel/RPG servers, and killing any fool stupid enough to stop moving and put up a chat bubble on the other. :D
 Mithie
01-10-2005, 4:14 PM
aww this is no fun. I'm not seeing any hell being raised...

Looks like I'm in the wrong forum.
 Obi_Kwiet
01-10-2005, 5:55 PM
Too bad there aren't any hacks that just dissable admin laming. I really wouldn't get mad at someone who did that.
 x-452
01-10-2005, 10:42 PM
hey, mithie just registered, dont think youre alone there are still some other gunners,

about the rocket stuff, its so easy to evoid getting rocketed by normall players, just try what mithie said

and about the dude that wished there were honor rules on ctf also, what you want us gunners to do, let you touch our flag, then get out of your way, and not trying to kill you with our "noobish" guns and whenever you have taken flag, run low on health, or force but on the speaking bubble and wait till some teammate helps you??? In the mean while we should be waiting till you're done chatiing, cmon??????

in some other forum, a person said that skill of guns can be learned in a couple of hours, and sabering takes a couple of months, well then he/she should try it and take a good practiced gunner in a 1vs1

and i went to some ffa servers a time ago, and people where just standing there, talking to each other, like 2 persons of 20 where fighting, rest and some others where trying something crazy, building the highest human tower???????

i think this game was ment to played in a way where all weapons can be used, if you guys think that sabers are better then use them but dont kick/ban somebody if hes killing you with his gun.

Im really wandering what you guys do in a clanwar???? (talking to each other for about 2 hours, builing a human tower and finnaly decide who has the highest tower wins????

maybe some of my comments where rude so sorry in advance for that but i dont like it when the greatest game online ever is getting ruined by these rules, if this game whas played the way it was intented like in jko before somebody invented to laming rule, this game would be over populated and by now we would have jk4
 Druid Allanon
01-11-2005, 12:10 AM
and about the dude that wished there were honor rules on ctf also, what you want us gunners to do, let you touch our flag, then get out of your way, and not trying to kill you with our "noobish" guns and whenever you have taken flag, run low on health, or force but on the speaking bubble and wait till some teammate helps you??? In the mean while we should be waiting till you're done chatiing, cmon??????

<sarcasm> No! We should bow to our opponents before and after we get our flag. Oh, don't forget to say gf everytime you die. :rolleyes: </sarcasm>

maybe some of my comments where rude so sorry in advance for that but i dont like it when the greatest game online ever is getting ruined by these rules, if this game whas played the way it was intented like in jko before somebody invented to laming rule, this game would be over populated and by now we would have jk4

Amen to that. It had the potential to be one of the best online games EVER, and yet... sore losers(aka honor d00dz) had to ruin it.
 razorace
01-11-2005, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet
Too bad there aren't any hacks that just dissable admin laming. I really wouldn't get mad at someone who did that.

Uh, maybe don't play on admin mod servers?

Anyway, on the subject of all the complaining about "honor" players vs "competitive"/guns/etc players, why don't the "competitive"/guns/etc players just rent/buy their own servers? OR just play on one of the many totally empty servers that are availible?
 Mithie
01-11-2005, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by razorace

Anyway, on the subject of all the complaining about "honor" players vs "competitive"/guns/etc players, why don't the "competitive"/guns/etc players just rent/buy their own servers? OR just play on one of the many totally empty servers that are availible?

We do. It's when the saber honor players barge into these servers (chop shop, JA+, cereal bowl) and complain to no end about how we're all newbies with no honor that gets me slightly ticked. The latter half of the FAQ is saying, well, your damn FFA servers aren't much better when it comes to admin control.
 razorace
01-11-2005, 6:29 PM
Does vote/admin kicking them not work?
 Neverhoodian
01-11-2005, 6:35 PM
Originally posted by Mithie
aww this is no fun. I'm not seeing any hell being raised...
Yeah, there aren't many "honorz" folks here. On the contrary, you'll find many kindred spirits (myself included) on this forum. Always glad to have another one join our cause of playing the game as it's meant to be played. ;)

Great job there with that "Point Counter-Point" debate over "honorz" gaming, Mithie. You captured the essense of the arguments very well. I salute you!

*slash*
*hack*
*thud*

Whoops, I guess that's what I get for bowing during a duel. :p
 Druid Allanon
01-11-2005, 10:03 PM

When majority of the servers have admin mods? I don't think so. ;)

Not many know how to rent/buy a server, or 99% of the honor players would have their personal server set up by now, increasing the present number of servers many times. Also, given that majority of the community consist of honor players, only few players would join the 'no rules' server, therefore making the server's owner money useless.

Does vote/admin kicking them not work?

If 10+ honor players are in the server... THEY could vote kick off anyone who's playing the game.
 parasiticz
01-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Yes, that's the problem. Us gunners have plenty of servers, the problem is when those admin command abusing honor newbies come in the guns servers.

Because we usually don't run mods such as JA+, we are left either a) giving people FULL rcon access or b) enabling voting or c) trying to admin our servers 24/7 rather than sleep, work, go to school.

Giving out full rcon never works, because it allows game settings to be changed, and it's a constant struggle to keep the password out of malicious hands. Little details such as g_speed, g_forceregentime, and others get changed - people get banned - it's a mess.

Voting, as mentioned, doesn't work because it is abused. Honor noobs could show up with some clan mates, vote kick people, change the gametype to FFA, change the limits, etc... Best case, nobody plays along, but a newb sits there when no admin is around calling the same vote over and over to kick a n00by guNZ F4g1T L4M3R and spamming demands to vote in chat until everyone gets fed up and disconnects. Leaving voting on a CTF server usually also means when the server is empty people will switch it to FFA with thier friends, and the CTF regulars can't get people to vote it back.

And obviously, people who have the money to rent a server, are usually in their late teens or adults, and have more important things to do than admin kick newbies all day.

So, we try to educate. We try to tell the honor saberist types that guns ARENT lame. We try to explain that their servers are saber only because they don't want guns, and our servers have guns because we like them. We try to play nice on their servers and get messed with by 20 different pre-teen subadmins with 3 levels of access - sometimes for no other reason than we beat them in a duel... and yet when they come on our servers, they do nothing but insult us, spam, and try to ruin games.
 razorace
01-12-2005, 2:53 PM
So, why not run one of the more harmless admin mods to maintain control then?

Secondly, I doubt "education" will be anymore effective than trying to "education" the "competitive" players that jk2 style kicks were removed for a reason.

It seems to me that the reality of the situation is that the gunner/"competitive" community is simply very small compared to the RPGing community. The gunners/"competitive" people don't like to admit that so the vocal minority complains about it.....a LOT.
 Mithie
01-12-2005, 8:12 PM
When it comes to complaining, saber honor players have us beat by a long shot.
 Druid Allanon
01-13-2005, 4:02 AM
Exactly. I have no doubt that the kick in JK2 was removed because of people thinking it's 'lame'.
 El Sitherino
01-13-2005, 5:30 AM
Kick was awesome. :D

And I too am an anti-honorz person.
 razorace
01-13-2005, 8:09 AM
Originally posted by Mithie
When it comes to complaining, saber honor players have us beat by a long shot.

Not on these forums. :)
 InfErnO
01-14-2005, 1:39 PM
Wtf, guns in JA suck anyway. This game is so ****ing boring, lol.
 Prime
01-15-2005, 8:40 AM
Originally posted by Druid Allanon
Exactly. I have no doubt that the kick in JK2 was removed because of people thinking it's 'lame'. You forgot to put "the majority of" between "of" and "people." :)
 Druid Allanon
01-16-2005, 3:48 AM
My mistake. Edit it, moderator. :P
 coupes.
01-16-2005, 4:13 AM
You can edit it yourself... not that's there really a need to do so.
 HooDWinkeR
01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Is it just me, or is razorace just proving a partial point of this FAQ?

His solution to players not familiar with the guns type of play is to kick them with admin mods =/

Heh, I actually did conduct a test sort of like that with TantaluS once, Mith. He and I joined up on all the FFA servers that had all weapons enabled.

We went in and played this game just like it should be meant to be played, we didn't speak, we just used everything available to us on the levels AND the servers.

Every single server either kicked us or banned us. It's ridiculous. At one point I actually agreed to play whatever way they asked me too (sabres only, obviously, even though all weapons were enabled), so I did and was still kicked in the end anyways for some such bull**** wanker rule that was not on any MotD or whatever the ****.

I enjoy playing every aspect of this game, guns or sabres, FF or NF, CTF or Duels, whatever. I can't stand the 90% of players that are twats and use JKA for a chat program, though.
 acdcfanbill
01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
haha hood's post count is rising!

i have played both sides of this game as well, sabers and guns, and to me the gun community isnt as easy to get into, and probably less forgiving to new (young and or uneducated in deathmatch) players. its much easier for a new player to randomly pick an honor server, since they outnumber regular ones, and get accustomed to their style of play that to try to join the honorless community. they will just kill you fast and move on, while the honor servers allow ppl to slowly come into it since they do nothing but watch other people... which is the heart of the problem, take the easy path, or the more difficult competitive one.

hrm, sounds like a common struggle in the SW universe :)
 razorace
01-24-2005, 1:37 PM
Originally posted by HooDWinkeR
Heh, I actually did conduct a test sort of like that with TantaluS once, Mith. He and I joined up on all the FFA servers that had all weapons enabled.

Are you referring to ANY FFA server or just the ones with players on them?
 Kurgan
01-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Druid Allanon
When majority of the servers have admin mods? I don't think so. ;)

Not many know how to rent/buy a server, or 99% of the honor players would have their personal server set up by now, increasing the present number of servers many times. Also, given that majority of the community consist of honor players, only few players would join the 'no rules' server, therefore making the server's owner money useless.

Many don't know how, but I don't know if that's the case. Many are probably just unwilling to pay 20 bucks or more per month for a server. On the other hand, people are willing to pay half that much to play some MMORPG, which is usually little more than chatting and emoting anyway, so who knows...

The thing is many servers require a credit card or paypal and most kids don't have those (I'm not a kid and I don't even have one, but that's 'cause I'm broke, heh).

If 10+ honor players are in the server... THEY could vote kick off anyone who's playing the game.

That is a good point. A server may be infected with "honorz" and not be using an admin mod. If votekicking is enabled, the "honorz d00dz" merely need to outnumber the rest to get their way. That is why votekicking is a bad idea. TEAMvotekicking that is completely seperate from all other types of voting is good.

If somebody is screwing around in a FFA, who cares? They'll just lose due to lack of points, unless it's 1 vs 1...

Though the fact that at least 50% of the servers are running JA+ mod, a confirmed and consistently abusive mod, that doesn't help things any.
 Kurgan
01-26-2005, 12:44 PM
So, why not run one of the more harmless admin mods to maintain control then?

Secondly, I doubt "education" will be anymore effective than trying to "education" the "competitive" players that jk2 style kicks were removed for a reason.

It seems to me that the reality of the situation is that the gunner/"competitive" community is simply very small compared to the RPGing community. The gunners/"competitive" people don't like to admit that so the vocal minority complains about it.....a LOT.

I tend to disagree. The "RPGing" community is actually quite small. The folks who actually use the game as a platform for LARPing (well, as close as you could do it in a video game.. but you get the idea... using the characters to act out some fantasy) is tiny. They will generally either use private servers or try to use a mod designed for actual RPGing. While these folks might pop into public servers now and then, they generally can't get others to go along with their novel ideas, and so end up frustrated.

Now I'm not talking about the random player who says "LOL! I sabered you just like Darth Maul did in the movie!" but rather people who actually insist the game be played like some RPG, not as an FPS or competative game. I seperate this distinction from honor players, because the honor players are still playing the game, AFTER they've tacked on some extra rules (like the bowing, don't use certain powers, duels only, etc).

The honorz folks aren't claiming to be role playing (well not usually) but they are claiming that their "rules" make the game "more fun" or "more fair" etc. They call the stuff they forbid "lameness." It's a narrow minded view, but very different from the RPG mindset. The RPGers are playing a whole different game, in their heads.

The "honorz" community is rather large, I admit that, and it annoys me as much as the next gamer. These are the folks who insist on a list of rules be followed by everyone, relating to the 'proper way' to duel.

However, this community has NOT taken over the JA community. Your statements are true of the JK2 community, since anyone can see that the majority of JK2 servers are sabers only + force, running an admin mod specifically designed for "honor enforcement."

While half the JA servers are running JA+ Mod, they are not typically sabers only. Most servers allow all weapons. Likewise, while most servers are running SOME MOD, not all are running an honor inducive mod like JA+.

So while there are a lot of "honorz" players in JA, they don't seem to be the majority, like they are in JK2.

Now as to the WHINERS, the people who will kick you if you beat them, and whine for votekicks against people who beat them, those people are plentiful in EVERY game, and no amount of mods (or lack thereof) will change that.

The only way to beat these folks is to prevent them from vote kicking random people, use flood checks, and kick their butts until they disconnect. As long as they don't have admin powers, who cares what they say...

One can't really design a mod to satisfy whiners, since the only happy whiner is the one who has full admin access and control. A whiner going from server to server has to win all the time on HIS TERMS, and since that isn't bound to happen, he whines.

Nowadays if I am looking to play some JA, and not on my own server, I click on the "server info" button. And if I see "JA+ Mod" I simply look elsewhere. Saves a lot of time and effort... I also generally ignore Sabers Only maps, though due to an oversight or something, many servers labelled "sabers only" are actually ones where they just disabled even one weapon (like the Concussion Rifle or something silly like that), and it appears as if it was only sabers. ; )
 razorace
01-26-2005, 2:42 PM
Well, based on the people that have been showing up on my server, the player population seems to be evenly split between the various player "clicks".
 Rumor
01-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Well, based on the people that have been showing up on my server, the player population seems to be evenly split between the various player "clicks".

"Cliques"
 Greyjoy
07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
This is exactly why I just ignore the chat box and play with everything available or useful at the time. I might get kicked so what, as long as you're having fun who really cares.
 Kurgan
07-30-2006, 9:00 PM
Ah, classic thread revival. ;) Things have gotten worse in some ways... now JA+ basically dominates the JA community (though it is slightly outnumbered by mod free servers), however in recent years, JA+ has gotten far less abusive and fewer and fewer servers use the old versions of the mod that still had the abusive commands in them. The people not using JA+ are using MovieBattles II, Blademod, Forcemod III or nothing (with most of the others in single digits or nonexistent in terms of public servers). The number of servers that ban certain weapons rises and falls, the force banning servers still seem to be the minority (though that too fluctuates.. I imagine because a server may rotate between running a FFA map with everything and then running it sabers only, with no or low force).

What's annoying is servers that have mana regen turned way up (so your mana fully regenerates in less than 5 seconds, meaning you can spam forever, even if all force powers are disabled... you can spam saber moves that normally eat mana for breakfast, which was done intentionally to preven them being spammed in combat).

Anyway, the Meatgrinder is still around and always has been honor free, so you're welcome anytime to go there and see what a real game looks like. ;)

For awhile we were running nothing but "Enhanced" with its new alternative saber system which some people (myself included) just couldn't get used to. Now we're running basic, and have a secondary server running Enhanced, so it's all cool. Basic is just basejka with a few extra options, bug and exploit fixes, but the same classic JA gameplay.
 Zee123
07-31-2006, 1:38 AM
Hi Kurgan.

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love the Meatgrinder. Thanks for creating such an awesome server! I find that on the whole the folks at the meatgrinder are a lot more courteous and better sports than the people on many of the other servers that I've stumbled across. I guess it's good when the player with the worst language is usually one of the bots (they do say some strange things sometimes), and although sometimes I start to doubt whether they really are better than the basejka bots (why do they always stack on top of each other in ctf?), but given that I have no modding experience myself, I guess I shouldn't complain and just appreciate the fact that they can play siege and are, for the the most part, fairly accurate shots.

So again, thanks. I've definitely found myself a place to play.
 Kurgan
07-31-2006, 8:11 PM
Thanks it means a lot! The latest version of the Meatgrinder of course has other people to thank as well, namely RazorAce for OJP, without which we wouldn't have those Siege playing bots (I actually rigged up some siege playing bots myself on the old meatgrinder, but there's only so much you can do with them without new coding, since I lack that skill), or many of the exploit fixes and things like Holocron and Jedi Master working so well. And you should thank the guys at EscapedTurkey who've been a stable source for a server for a long time now. And thank our other admins, Lathain Valtiel and OnlyOneCannoli who've sacrificed many hours slaughtering noobs and good players alike to help build up our reputation to the public at large. ;)

And there's other regulars and people who offer helpful suggestions, it's now a team effort. I always hoped to draw like minded gamers who were fed up with the "honorz" stuff and just wanted to play a good game of JA, and also get some of these team based modes that were sadly being neglected a chance. And it's turned out beautifully, I'm very pleased.

Enjoy your stay there, like I said, you're always welcome. ;)
 Zee123
08-06-2006, 3:06 AM
True true.

I count myself quite fortunate in the fact that the meatgrinder was one of the first servers that I stumbled across when I first started JA Multiplayer earlier this year, which kept me from being subjected to all that honor stuff. Too bad not enough people seem to go there... the place seems to spend quite a bit of time empty...
 Lathain Valtiel
08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, few can tolerate being mercilessly annihilated again and again in such gametypes as FFA. Whenever I look at grinder on FFA, no one's or almost no one's there.
 Kurgan
08-06-2006, 9:17 PM
Yeah, few can tolerate being mercilessly annihilated again and again in such gametypes as FFA. Whenever I look at grinder on FFA, no one's or almost no one's there.

That's probably pretty true. A lot of people see FFA and if it's not a safe, low force sabers only set with a nice admin mod to protect them, they probably shy away.

FFA on Meatgrinder has ALWAYS been the least popular gametype (well apart from Team FFA and CTY, though in the latter at least people join and play for abit before moaning and quitting). Our most popular has always been Siege.

It could be some people are bored with FFA, but I can't imagine why since there are so few FFA servers to play on, most people probably haven't played a game of real FFA in months, if not years, and would get a fresh experience had they tried!

Oh well. ;) Yeah, we have our hardcore regulars, but they tear up the noobs so fast, I can't blame them for not saying. Too bad...

That's another reason why we try not to stay on one gametype for too long in the rotation (though if it were just 24/7 Siege rotation, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, going by past experience).
 Lathain Valtiel
08-06-2006, 9:38 PM
I don't see how you can be bored of FFA yet not bored of Siege... Siege is more rigid than FFA by far.
 Kurgan
08-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Well it's the team dynamic that makes it interesting. Plus a lot more people have played FFA than Siege (a lot shunned it because it looked too hard back in the day or because they never learned because there was no bot support and they didn't know you could try it out offline).

That and if you lose, you can always blame your crappy team. ;)
 Zee123
08-07-2006, 12:19 AM

Yup. The bots in general seem to be pretty good shots with the rockets and disruptors, and they don't seem to do much sabering, which I suppose can turn off some of the new folks. And regulars for the most part certainly don't take the time to say hello and welcome the new kids before shooting them. Again, not the most welcoming environment. I started myself as quite the saber-happy newb, and was starting to get a bit frustrated at the rockets flying everywhere, until kron came along and gave me some pointers. Things have gone pretty good since then.

Seems to me that the majority of FFA players there are ones who decide to stay a little bit after seige
 Lathain Valtiel
08-07-2006, 2:35 PM
The bots are nightmares with the disruptor. I actually RUN whenever I see a bot carrying one, because they WILL destroy you if you try to outgun them 90% of the time, it's that simple.
 Kurgan
08-07-2006, 6:35 PM
Well I admit I got a little used to people being "welcoming" and saying hi and stuff in JK1 and was a little put off when I started playing Q3 (sporadically) and UT (a lot) and it was mostly just silence, except somebody cursing when they got killed or going "LOL" after they blew somebody up, though the customary "gg's" at the end was still common.

I figured that I was just hitting a lot of younger players or non-english speakers (though again I was wrong there, since they would type in their own language at the appropriate times as well).

I guess the lack of chatter could imply people who are more engrossed in the game (and a non-team game) and just don't have the "time" to start up a conversation.

Still, as a host for many years in various games, I'd always at least say hi. I made sure to do this as there was one guy who joined, said hi, and when nobody said hi back, he said "okay fine" and left! (I was busying fighting people at the time and didn't think he'd leave just because nobody returned his greeting!). Some folks are actually incapable of hitting the score table to check and see who's on the server, and assume that because nobody is running past them in their immediate vicinity, they are alone in the server! (so they use textual communication to try to see if other human players are around).

It's funny how people are sometimes.

Personally I can't stand it on some servers though when there is CONSTANT chatter, to the point where you can't even read what people are saying because it gets pushed back by the next thing so fast (and not even spamming). This was the case on some "more popular" JK2/JA servers I joined (which shall remain nameless) wherein a large number of the people weren't even playing, but just talking. I figure if some folks are that chatty, they should either get out of the game and into a chat room or get a headset so they can speak freely without annoying everyone else (as in most online FPS games, the chat text makes a noise every time you enter it and you can't turn that off without muting the sound entirely).
 MasterRoss08
09-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Hmmm I was just looking at this thread and i guess just wanted to say whats on my mind here. know this that i do have Ja on the x-box. but dont play online since you gotta pay 2 get x box live. I am saddend from what i was reading of how some people want to play this game. the Honor thing sounds real stinky. the weapons are there for a reason. 2 use them. yaya lightsabers are cool and all but shouldnt be the only weapon you have to use. Ctf should have no honor code at all. only honor code there should b in my view is just b a good sport not all this bowing and you can only kill me with a lightsaber thing. it sad that good games always have these dumb stupid problems like this. what happend to just coming on to have fun -.- . I may actually wanna get Ja on pc when i get a new comp which isnt to far from now. i pretty sure this game is still popular and will be for a time.
Page: 1 of 1