Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What If?... Preview #3

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
01-04-2005, 9:33 PM
I bet that by now, you are shuffling uncomfortably in your seat, palms clammy, teeth grinding as you wonder what missions from the films you'll be able to sink your now worn-down molars into...

Once again, the portents are good. Very good. 'Battles from the movies that will be in the game include the battle of Yavin, and Hoth'Brett reassuring replies.'In addition, there'll be battles that represent hypothetical or implied battles from the context of the movies. The exact format of these will depend on the context of the galaxy as dictated by your actions. What if Dantooine was still defended by the Rebels when the Empire arrived? What if a large contingent of Rebel ships were present at Yavin? What about the Empires invasion of Yavin IV after the Death Star was destroyed? These and other scenarios are available as tactical battles that you can participate in.'

Right lets move to ground-based missions,which sound like they could be every bit as enthralling as their frenetic interstellar counterparts. Once again, these missions are being designed to be heavily reliant on your ability to effectively utilise realistic battle tactics.

'There are countless tactics available such as invading with a small force on a well-defended planet with the intent of not achieving victory, but rather to destroy certain outlying special structures for great effect on the strategic game. Alternatively, you could use scouts to reveal the enemy in order to enable long-range artillery to attack from a relatively safe distance Or you may want to call in invasion transports(smiliar to those used by the Trade Federation in Episode I)at a key moment in order to get maximum tactical advantage,' says Brett.

It all sounds more mouth-moistening than a platter of skewered barbecued meat - or a plate of cabbage garnished with sprouts and turnips(Im guessing!) if you're one of those veggie types! The ability to launch hit-and-run attacks on enemy strongholds in order to disable key installation. The possibilities here are endless. Just imagine if you could cunningly infiltrate the enemy's defences and blow up ground-based space cannons or shield generators so your fleet could pass through a sector more safely, or have more of a chance when attacking a collection of Star Destroyers, or even the Death Star itself?!

Of course, this kind of set-up, whereby space and ground battles dynamically complement each other rather than existing as a separate entities, also means that you'll find sometimes yourself on the defensive, a situation that will once again come with its own unique strategic options. These, we've been promised, will include the ability to fall back to different levels of your base and harness combined arms and terrain advantage.

'These battles will be significant in their own way, and it's likely there'll be assaults smiliar to the battle on Hoth - where you must make a hasty retreat to fight another day in the face of superior invasion,'claims Brett. 'Retreating would be the execption though, since a skilled player can achieve victory even against a superior force if clever tactics are employed'.

More about combat tomorrow

DMUK
 darthfergie
01-04-2005, 10:55 PM
awesome!
This game really kind of answers what everybody wanted GB to be in the first place. lol.
I remember back in the day when we were talking about it being a Shogun: Total War of sorts. The real sucessor to Rebellion, rather than a patch work mod of AoK.
Finally...a Star Wars: Total War :)
AND FINALLY, SPACE BATTLES! dang...I'm really looking forward to this game.

If this game shapes up it's gonna be REALLY good.
(btw, why not merge the previews into one thread instead of having 20 stickied threads on the front page of a new forum? It's kind of...well...odd)
 Jan Gaarni
01-04-2005, 11:22 PM
I guess it's to get your attention that there is new info. :)

Once it's all out and been out for a couple of weeks, I guess we could gather them into one thread, and then perhaps let the responces fade into the great void of time. :)
 darthfergie
01-04-2005, 11:33 PM
*shrug*
Salright...
I just remember we would have one big preview thread for stuff like this before GB came out (the more official stuff I mean). Different strokes for different folks. heh.

oh yeah...I guess I'm back. lol.
Dang it...I havn't posted for 4 months and randomly get a reported post in my inbox and randomly come over here...see the info on the game...and my SW glands start salivating. lol. So I guess I'm back. :D
(not that any of you really remember me, but it's all good. heheh)

DANG this game is gonna be good...huge twist on the Total War type game...going from medievil to super futuristic (well...super long time ago if you want to look at it that way) is gonna be a very interesting twist. Just like it was in GB. Artillery and Air support are going to be playing big roles in this game, where they are vitually non-existant in the other Total War games. (admittedly there are trebuchets, but they're quite expensive...and not every unit is an archer type in Total War)
 Jan Gaarni
01-05-2005, 1:24 AM
Course I remember you, Fergie. :)

You used to hang out alittle over at the SWG forums a while back (starting to be awhile now I think :D ), but you resided mostly over at the GB forums I believe. :)
 Com Raven
01-05-2005, 4:41 AM
Yay, I remember the name DarthFergie from waaaaay back. And of course the same goes for Jan :)
 DK_Viceroy
01-08-2005, 1:20 PM
I'm glad that we're finally hearing things, all these years, all those arguments.
 Jan Gaarni
01-08-2005, 11:33 PM
And I definatly remember you, Com. :)

How can I forget one of the first people I had fun with when I first came to LucasForums. :D

You and Wraith 8. ;)
 R5D4
01-11-2005, 6:22 AM
At last a New RTS after Gallactic Battelgrounds :).

Im waiting for the first screenie :P

I see a lot of old SWGB peeps :P
 OverlordAngelus
01-11-2005, 8:46 AM
Check the scans thread for screenshots.
Page: 1 of 1