Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Not traditional...Preview #2

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
01-03-2005, 9:01 PM
We continue our early preview into the exciting new Star Wars RTS - Empire At War

'By combining the gameplay of modern RTS games with the rich Star Wars universe, but its crafted in such a way as to introduce innovation and remove some of the repetition and tedious aspects that have crept into the genre,'says Brett.

'It doesnt have linear missions like most traditional RTS games. Instead, it has a persistent real-time world in which you're trying to conquer planets and essentially take over the entire Star Wars galaxy, whether you're playing as the Empire or Rebellion,' he continues.'There are two sections to the game - troop-moving/planning and combat - but unlike say, Rome:Total War, which uses a different engine for each section, we're using the same engine for both to make sure they feel connected. The engine automatically adapts to suit each gaming mode.'Sounds a little like a real-time Civilsation campaign interspersed with 3D real-time battles to us. 'Exactly! Once you 've moved your ships into position and decided to fight, the engine moves into Combat Mode until the battle is resolved' confirms Brett.

So how about the space combat sections, what can we expect from those?

'Space combat is an intergral part of projecting force across the galaxy and as a preparation for land invasion,' Brett reveals.'Space battles have a unique character to them. They're about massive capital ships manoeuring to bring turbo lasers to bear as they blow each other up(screens in PCZONE confirm this!).All the while,the more nimble fighters and corvettes dogfight in their own dance of death in a quest to get a clear shot at unleashing proton torpedo attacks on the larger ships.'

'Its a 3D world but in terms of the camera angle,space battles wont feel too dissimilar to the ground battles. We dont want you spinning around on both axis and getting lost in the 3D world.'

However, one way in which these space-based battles will compare closely to Homeworlds isthrough the extensive strategies made available to you. These include tactics like concealing your ships in asteroid fields while you lie in wait for the unsuspecting enemy to float by, or the ability to target specific parts of enemy capital ships suchas their engines in order to severely hinder their manoeuvrability.

Part 3 tomorrow

DMUK
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 2:25 AM
Ok, from the sound of it then, resource management might be at a minimum, if it even exists at all??????? Is anybody else getting this or am I crazy?
 OverlordAngelus
01-04-2005, 7:20 AM
By "the entire Star Wars galaxy" do they mean planets from the movies (Yavin, Hoth, Endor etc) or are they going to be on a more Rebellion like scale of 50+ planets (though I have to wonder if the game would get a bit repetitive after taking over that many planets).
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 9:19 AM
Is this is a "Conquer the Galaxy" game, or is that just one type of game that can be played in the engine? For instance, a single campaign is to conquer the galaxy. Other campaigns might be played as the rebels freeing a system from the Empire. Or being played as the Empire putting down a rebel base, etc. The Rebellion games could take a long time to play if you allowed them to, or if you had trouble locating Luke or Vader, etc.
 BeBop
01-04-2005, 6:28 PM
hmmm.... in terms of camera angle eh.... I just don't want it to have a Fixed camera angle like BFME (large drawback for me there) I'd like it to be like Rome: Total war (and others) where you can get the camera down to the level of the ground. And I really wouldn't like much camera restriction in space...
 FroZticles
01-05-2005, 1:20 AM
BFME didnt have a fixed angle I could move it left and right up or down..... try you numpad 4 and 6.

I hope the campaigns are full of backstory not like BFME where you are just thrown in with the same units and it feels like playing a normal skirmish over and over.
 BeBop
01-05-2005, 6:06 AM
Originally posted by FroZticles
BFME didnt have a fixed angle I could move it left and right up or down..... try you numpad 4 and 6.

That's rotational axis, im talking about angle where it gets level with the ground looking straight across it so you can see pretty much what the soldiers see. or going the other way straight down birds eye view. In BFME you cn get close to the ground but your still looking at it, not across it.
 DarthMaulUK
01-05-2005, 9:49 AM
BFME is a total waste of time and effort. Appalling game! The bench mark has been raised so high by Rome Total War and Dawn Of War, it makes BFME so out of date.

And it is. AI is shocking, gameplay - there is none and as for the skirmish mode..yawn!

Back to topic! EAW will certainly have its work cut out but us fans have been crying out for a space rts again and this concept is perfect!

DMUK
 DK_Viceroy
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
However we need the PT sides to make it perfect.

What's the point of releaseing an OT Game at the end of the Prequels, surely having PT in would make more sense.
 FroZticles
01-05-2005, 2:26 PM
The timeframe they set it in, PT is not possible sure there may be a bit of episode 3 crossover but the Separatists are destroyed and the Republic is now the Empire.

Lucasarts draws people in through its gameplay and not cheap commercial games made through movies or popular games that they have bought out cough* EA *cough

I think we are jumping the gun a bit here we have not seen one screenshot and already we are calling it perfect.
 DarthMaulUK
01-05-2005, 3:13 PM
I have seen the screenshots in PC ZONE and the game does look superb. Even at this early stage. The space ships look amazing alone

DMUK
 darthfergie
01-05-2005, 6:29 PM
Lucasarts draws people in through its gameplay and not cheap commercial games made through movies or popular games that they have bought out cough* EA *cough

There are a great deal of bitter GB players who would argue otherwise.

As for it being perfect...well...lets just say on the drawing board it's everything I've wanted in an RTS since I was 7. Space battles, taking over the galaxy etc.
I hated the fact that GB had such a huge emphasis on ground battles, when in the movies, the ground battles were mainly hero centered, rather than on such a grand scale...
 swphreak
01-05-2005, 9:18 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulUK
BFME is a total waste of time and effort. Appalling game! ...

Says you.

Anywho, would someone be so kind to provide scans of the pics in the Magazine since not everyone here is lucky enough to live overseas? Unless it's posted in #3 thread which I will read after this.
 FroZticles
01-06-2005, 1:49 AM
I don't think anyone has seen it. Maul has these "contacts" who give him all this info.

Graphics and looking awesome I need more like the resource system, maps and units so I guess I'm waiting.

Through Darth's BFME slandering about how rome and dawn kick ass. Be careful because EA are an Empire and are starting to chomp away the little guys soon they will be filing several law suits just to stop you from exposing there inner workings and there slavery law infringments. :p
 darthfergie
01-06-2005, 9:43 AM
Be careful because EA are an Empire and are starting to chomp away the little guys soon they will be filing several law suits just to stop you from exposing there inner workings and there slavery law infringments. :p

You know about those! :eek:
*calls EA spy network to let them know there is a leak by the name of FroZticles*

;)
Page: 1 of 1