Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

3-D Space Battles!!! yes!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Nairb Notneb
01-03-2005, 4:03 PM
What else can I say but thank you!!! Then one down side to this RTS is that evidently there will only be two major civ's. But evidently the effort has been put into the 3-D graphics and then hopefully into the game itself.

Let the early speculation begin.

From our friend DMUK, he has stated that there is Space and ground features in this game. What else do we know besides the near November release date? I suppose that by making a great game based on this time frame, they can always go back and create other RTS games with the same engine in other time periods, prequels, etc., and sell more games and make more money. Good idea I guess. Why put all of your eggs in one game.
 IG-64
01-04-2005, 3:50 AM
As in like homeworld?
 Com Raven
01-04-2005, 4:06 AM
Question is whether it has "true" 3d battles like homeworld, or something along the lines of Conquest.
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 9:25 AM
The big trick will to seamlessly move from space combat to planetary combat and vice versa and still be in the same game.

Question: Will it be possible to have ground and space combats going on at the same time at a planet?

Example: ROTJ and the Battle of Endor????
 Jan Gaarni
01-04-2005, 9:30 AM
My guess is, you'll have to secure the space above before you move to the surface.

But that's just a guess, from thinking not to over complicate the gameplay. :)

I'm thinking it might be somewhat in the line of Imperium Galactica.
I liked that game, and wished it would be set in the Star Wars universe. :)
I actually hoped Rebellion was gonna turn out like that one, but I was alittle disappointed it wasn't.

Still, that was a fun game. A small feature I liked about that one was the ability to name my star destroyers. :D

My hugeass starship list came in good use there. :p
It even grew as I dug up more and more names from the Star Wars Universe. ;)

I actually hope they insert this small feature into the game, gonna make me love it that much more. :D
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 9:49 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
A small feature I liked about that one was the ability to name my star destroyers. :D
I agree. I always named my fleets and my ships. I always wanted to name my fighter squadrons too, but couldn't. That will be a plus. Somebody needs to forward Petroglyph this forum so our great ideas will be incorporated.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-04-2005, 10:34 AM
You can do that in BFME's single player campaign.

It's a very fun, small, simple, yet cool element to add.
 Samnmax221
01-04-2005, 11:28 AM
It would be nice

but lucasarts never listens to its fans
 Nokill
01-04-2005, 2:01 PM
cool looking space battles whit many grafics and S*T :D
i hope this will be it :confused:
and that the gameplay will be realy good so its easy to play but you keep a lot of options of what you can all do whit your ships and stuf it woud also be nice to be able to have big stardestroyers and then let them launch small tie fighters :D and boord ships and take over rebbel ships and stuf..... im getting a little carrie'd away i think :o
 Nairb Notneb
01-04-2005, 3:24 PM
Boarding other capitol ships would be a great option, however, I don't think that will happen, but too bad for us.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-04-2005, 6:36 PM
Maybe you wouldn't be able to control the troops boarding a starship but you could capture enemy vessels using that method.

One thing I learned from my days of the X Wing serie is how to board enemy ships.

Ion canons+boarding vessel.
 darthfergie
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
seems like it's gonna be 3D like most of the top down RTSs out there...and not 3D like homeworld...
more of a ST: Armada feel...
it'll be interesting to see how they use starfighters in this game...to see what kind of a role they will play, since starfighters play an extrodinarily pivotal role in the Star Wars universe as opposed to many other sci-fi worlds.
 Nokill
01-05-2005, 5:19 AM
it woud be nice that a stardestroyer coud also use a tractor beem to get ships in there cargo hall and then take over the ship and if the litle ship is smart thay put comando troops in the ship and thay take over the stardestroyer instead :D
that woud also be a nice option to fight big fleets whit a few small ships
a good option for the rebbels ;)
 Jan Gaarni
01-05-2005, 5:52 AM
With the potential to have around 9000 troops on the star destroyers (seen in the movies) that would be an incredible feat. :D

And that's not counting the security force that would obviously already be on the ship. :p
 Nokill
01-05-2005, 5:57 AM
well if the ship is under fire and many ppl on the ship are dieing then a squad can take over the ship :p
otherewayes you coud make a squad place boms in the ship and blow it and themselfs up if there to slow :p
 lukeiamyourdad
01-05-2005, 7:07 AM
Well in Tie Fighter the biggest ship you captured were some med-size freighters I believe. I don't think we can actually expect to capture and SSD. Well that would be crazy.
 Samuel Dravis
01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
It would take forever. :P
 Nokill
01-05-2005, 7:49 PM
not if that yust make it drive into a Deathstar :p
 Nairb Notneb
01-07-2005, 12:02 PM
I agree with LIAYD. There can be standard basic assaults commands (like boarding a ship, sabotage, etc) that you simply give a command to do and then you never see any action on. Maybe you have a fighter squadron that you assign the mission to, like a Death Star Trench Run, or a kamikaze strike into a SD shield generator. They would be simple to establish in the game.
 Jan Gaarni
01-07-2005, 12:06 PM
And, it's been done in the past: Rebellion.

So we know it's possible. :)
 Nairb Notneb
01-11-2005, 7:27 AM
That is exactly what I had in mind. The espionage and sabotage missions that Rebellion had too could be considered.
 Nokill
01-11-2005, 8:15 AM
is there even one guy from a lucasart game reading post on this forum btw?
if there is i woud like to say listen TO US! :D
 DK_Viceroy
01-11-2005, 8:28 AM
Someone did mention somewhere that Big Battles may not be nessacery due to raids and the like, perhaps this is also hinting at Espionage
 jokemaster
01-11-2005, 6:46 PM
I read in Computer Gaming World that the space battles are 3D graphics based on a 2D plane, so basically you control everything in 2D, but the action happens in 3D, for example, you can only click go here in 1 altitude, but when the X-Wing goes there or attacks soemthing, it moves in 3D.
 Nairb Notneb
01-13-2005, 7:40 AM
Then it is not really in 3-D, it only looks like it is.
 starmark2k
01-13-2005, 7:58 AM
Do you think that you will have to buy fighters or will they be already in the capital ships. will you be able to just control a single fighter or do you need to control squadron. i know that no one actually knows but what do you think and what would you prefer.
 swphreak
01-13-2005, 8:25 AM
hmmm... the space battls might be like Star Trek: Armada 2.

And it would make sense to control a group of fighters. It'd get a bit too micro-managing trying to ocntrol wings of TIEs as well as other ships.
 starmark2k
01-13-2005, 8:29 AM
looking at the screens it dosan't look much like armada 2 and seems completely original.
 jokemaster
01-13-2005, 12:40 PM
According to the magazine, it's Armada, but better.

Also, you can attack specific parts of larger ships, like engines, hangars and weapons systems.

I also read that you build fighters at bases and space stations, so I guess you build them then station them on a certain ship. Or the game does it automatically.
 Nairb Notneb
01-14-2005, 7:41 AM
I am assuming that the strategy to this game will be in the logistics planning, how you manage your galactic resources and how you move/place your military. Just like in real life.

I would guess that the fighters will be automated. You will probably give out a command to a wing or group of fighters and they will then follow your orders. I think that the capitol ships might work in a similar fashion. The space battles will probably function with the player being in the role of an admilral barking out commands to the crews and pilots.
 lukeiamyourdad
01-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Seriously, I'm happy that they go the Armada way and not the Homeworld way. I was always annoyed with the camera and spent more time on the tactical map then actually watching my fighters in full 3D flying around.
 DarthMaulUK
01-14-2005, 1:24 PM
They did say that this game will be more like Homeworld, however, the camera will be totally different, so you wont get in a 'spin' and able to easily not go dizzy!

DMUK
 Nokill
01-14-2005, 1:58 PM
if only thay woud make a radiant camera in this game *deep breath*
Page: 1 of 1