Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy pictures

Page: 1 of 1
 MJ
01-03-2005, 7:21 AM
I found a couple of pictures from the upcoming movie, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'm quietly thrilled that the movie's being made, but on an aside note, a little disappointed. Have a look at the picture... here's why.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2005/hitchhiker/guide1.jpg)

From left to right:

Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian, Marvin, and Ford Prefect.

Need I type more?
 MJ
01-03-2005, 7:25 AM
Forgot this picture of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/2005/hitchhiker/guide2.jpg)
 Gabez
01-03-2005, 9:42 AM
Well the cast looks great, espcially Arther Dent who's of course being played by Tim form the office. Perfect.

I don't much like Marvin either, but perhaps he'll grow on me.

I guess they're trying to show how big his brain is, though technically the bigger your brain is physically, the dumber you get, as it takes longer for the electric pulses to move through the space. Our brains are about as big as brains can get before this starts having a negative effect. But anyway!
 MJ
01-03-2005, 9:49 AM
My biggest gripe at the moment is that Zaphod only has one head. At least they have towels.
 Incredible_d
01-03-2005, 11:50 AM
The entire time Arthur Dent is onscreen I'm gonna be expecting him to break out in a chorus of "You're a cock! You're a cock! You're a cock! You're a cock!"
 Holdios
01-03-2005, 11:58 AM
I am so psyched for this movie. I really hope it's a good job...

marvin does look kind of... well crappy... As long as they get a good voice actor for him though, I'll be perfectly happy.

HE is the PERFECT Arthur Dent.

And, yes, it does suck that Zaphod has one head but... Can you imagine how hard that would be to pull off onscreen without looking really stupid? Even with good effects I think it might look kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, to add one final thought to this random ramble, I really hope Restaurant is made after this... That one was my absolute favorite.
 Huz
01-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Holdios
And, yes, it does suck that Zaphod has one head but... Can you imagine how hard that would be to pull off onscreen without looking really stupid? Even with good effects I think it might look kind of ridiculous.Even the second head in the BBC version wasn't too distractingly bad.... once you got over the initial laughter. :)

I'm not looking forward to this too much - I don't think HHGG really has the kind of humour that would translate well to film. And these pictures just look... well, uninspired. Marvin doesn't even look depressed! Zaphod is Rufus out of Bill and Ted!

In conclusion, the list of movies I am prepared to be disappointed by in the near future currently numbers two: this, and Spielburg's version of War of the Worlds.
 Gabez
01-03-2005, 1:00 PM
I thought they were going to add his second head on later, with cgi. I mean, look at the way his head is to the side - it does kind of look like they're going to add something there. On the other hand, I heard that his second head is going to be in his nostril, so now I don't know what to think. I hope the latter rumour is not true, though, or I may actually have to panic.

Check out the trailer if you haven't already - http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/hitchhikers_guide_to_the_galaxy.html)

It doesn't actually show anything, but hey.
 MJ
01-03-2005, 7:02 PM
Holdy, you'll be glad to know that Stephen Moore is doing the voice of Marvin. He did it in both the TV show and the radio series.
 LiMP RABBiT
01-04-2005, 1:46 AM
I had heard they were making a film donkey's years ago, but I shrugged it off as a rumour and didn't hear anything else. Obviously a lot of info has been released and I've just been ignorantly twidling my thumbs. Oh well. Anyhoo, I didn't know what to expect, so the pictures are pretty surprising to me. Though Marvin looks extraordinarily dodgy, I think they will pull it of nicely, and I can see them adding another head to Zaphod (surely they can't leave something so huge out). Thanfully, I haven't got my hopes up, so it probably wont be a dissapointment.

Originally posted by Gabez
Technically the bigger your brain is physically, the dumber you get, as it takes longer for the electric pulses to move through the space. Our brains are about as big as brains can get before this starts having a negative effect. But anyway!

You haven't been watching 'What We Still Don't Know', have you?
 neon_git
01-04-2005, 1:54 AM
Of course that was a while ago, so they may well have made that particular decsion by now and I'm just making a fool of myself. Trying to impress new people by appearing knowledgable and failing miserably is, however, a hobby of mine, so it all works out in the end.

While I'm not OVERLY impressed, I do find your name pretty damn funny. :)
 slink-jadranko
01-04-2005, 5:33 PM
I am kind of... Sceptical. And concerned.
I've just been, well, not even a fan of Hitch Hikers, just, always loved it in every form, since I first heard it on the radio way back. I even loved the TV series for what it was. The new radio adaptations of the three latter books I am enjoying (although they've added incidental music).
But the film I am just not sure about. I agree, Freeman ought to make a good Dent. And Sam Rockwell's IMDB photo looks a bit Mark Wing_Davies'y. But still... Hmmmmmmm.
 MJ
01-04-2005, 8:33 PM
Sorry, Neon_Git. I accidently edited your message rather than quote it. That's what happens when I'm given moderator privledges. :)
 neon_git
01-05-2005, 1:16 AM
That's OK, I apreciate the sentiment anyhows.:D
 LiMP RABBiT
02-16-2005, 5:14 AM
I thought I should post a link to the new trailer. Stupidly small resolution and from amazon, it's looking pretty good thus far. I'm not too sure about Zaphod's second head though...

>Trailer< (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/103-9002992-4462246)
 slink-jadranko
02-17-2005, 8:51 AM
Watched the tailer last night. It's certainly different... I have some hope for it. But, I think possibly only because I'm vaguely willing to let it be different.
Which I think is quite something for someone who has owned everything Hitchhiker since he was knee high.

It's gonna suck isn't it... *sobs*
 MJ
02-17-2005, 1:53 PM
I can't watch it. Stupid dialup 28k connection. :(

I had some pictures of Vogons somewhere. They look really cool. Made by Henson studios. Very froopy.

The most dissapointing thing I heard about the movie is the love triangle between Zaphod, Trillian and Arthur. It really isn't needed.

I'm inclined to agree.

So how does Zaphod look? Two armed three headed?
 Jake
02-17-2005, 6:15 PM
His second head is mysteriously beneath his first head (which looks odd). His third arm is there and looks, well, like a third arm. It seems to hide beneath his coat most of the time though.

The trailer is really terribly put together, but the actual footage it contains is promising.

And, slink-jadranko, if you've owned everything Hitchhikers since you were knee-high, surely you'd know that since the game, the radio show, and the novels all have completely different continuity, consistency between the film and the books (or the film and the radio show (or the film and anything else)) shouldn't really be expected. Erm, right re-reading what you said, apparently that is what you know. :) Cheers to that.

My prediction: Anyone expecting a Gilliamesque dark-irony-laden social commentary piece is going to be somewhat disappointed. But if you expect a science fiction film with a lot of clever high concept jokes and probably some firm roots in that irony and social commentary business too, I suspect you'll be entertained and enjoy yourself at the theater.
 slink-jadranko
02-19-2005, 1:14 PM
Absolutely. It's why I am feeling good about it. But, I still find it hard to take the feel of it (it feels like a new movie, obviously), and things like the new Heart of Gold. Also, I'm still not convinced by Mos Def. Someone who saw the preview said Mos Def is just a bit flat, and Ford is the character who has to spark the most. But, we'll see. I do think Freeman is right, and Sam Rockwell should be, but from the trailer, may not be laconic enough.

More we'll see's!

But I am really looking forward to seeing how different it is. There were things from the trailer that had no relation to the book or radio show or anything, which is awesome! It's not the sixth book, or the last Dirk Gently work (which saddened me, it was so little...), but it is more Adams!

The thing you said about not expecting social commentary, I do agree with. But there is an element to which I wonder if some of the melancholy may be lost from it. H2G2 all the way through is really sad, and i wonder if it's going to be all a bit too blockbuster for that.
That said, I will excuse some of the love triangle, as it is present all the other versions. Maybe Zaphod isn't particularly concerned about Arthur, but by the end of it all...
Page: 1 of 1