Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Modelling questions

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedianakinsolo
01-03-2005, 7:38 AM
Hi all, first post, so bear with me.

I've played the game, and so would like to try modding it, (Yes, I have experience on other games, but only in the RTS genre :()

I'd like to do reskinning, and I think I can do that. But, I'd also like to view the models. I have the Kotor Tool, and I extracted for the BIM models directory. The Selkath one I think. But how do I open it? I have 3Dsmax 6. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how do I uninstall a mod? Or edit one? For example, the clone trooper mod, I actually like Carth the way he is :) So, can I extract his original face skin (Already found it), install the mod, then replace the new Carth face with the one I extracted? (Lol, long question.)

I know, I'm getting to the end :P Can I reskin armor sets, and put them back with the same name, and it'll show up as what I reskinned in-game? Logically, it should, but then, when has Windows ever been logical...

Thanks all for your time.
 Mono_Giganto
01-03-2005, 9:59 AM
Question 1: Download MDL Ops, there's a link in the downloads sticky. (I think it's also at pcgamemods.com) Read the readme, it's designed to decompile the mdl so you can edit models. (I don't recommend body models however)

Question 2: To uninstall, just delete it from the override folder. To edit, you have to know the file to edit. In your case, and I could be wrong, but I think you will need to find a file titled P_Carth.utc or something close and delete it. (If I'm wrong correct me Prime.)

Question 3: To reskin an armor set, you need to know what it's modelvariation is, to find this out, find that item uti file in KOTOR Tool, and check the model variation. Then just name your armor skin with this extension.

Hope I helped somehow.
 Xavier2
01-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Jedianakinsolo
Also, how do I uninstall a mod? Or edit one? For example, the clone trooper mod, I actually like Carth the way he is :) So, can I extract his original face skin (Already found it), install the mod, then replace the new Carth face with the one I extracted? (Lol, long question.)
The Override folder is supposed to be a source for new content to the game. Any file placed there will either "overwrite" a standard file or add a new one.

So, if you want Carth the way he is in the default game all you will have to do is to remove/delete the face texture from Override. There is no need to place the original one because the game engine will find it elsewhere.

In this case the texture for Clone Carth face is P_CarthH.tga.

Xavier2
 Jedianakinsolo
01-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Alright, thx! Now, for my own entertainment, and hopefully yours, I've got another question.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126482)

I went to BIFs, Template Items, and extracted, but they weren't TPC, and didnt' convert to TGA. If I want to reskin, is this the wrong place to get the armor skins, or am I doing something wrong?
 Darth333
01-03-2005, 10:53 AM
For a simple reskin, you don't need MDLops. Please read ythe stuck threads "Guide for the newbie: What tools do I need to mod KotOR ? How to install mods? " and after this check Do you Want to mod SW-KotOR? Then Start here.Mod Tutorials! to get started.

The Guide for the Newbie mentions what you need for skins and where to find the texture packs. For more advanced tuts, check t7nowhere's thread.
 Jedianakinsolo
01-03-2005, 11:35 AM
I did. Nice selection there too. But then what are the templates for?

K, I edited PFBHO3, the Mandalorian Battle Armor (No helmet) It didn't change a thing. I put it in the override folder as a TGA, so what'd I do wrong?

And, is it possible to do bump mapping? If so, how?
 Xavier2
01-03-2005, 11:50 AM

K, I edited PFBHO3, the Mandalorian Battle Armor (No helmet) It didn't change a thing. I put it in the override folder as a TGA, so what'd I do wrong?

And, is it possible to do bump mapping? If so, how?
It depends on what you did. If you read the tutorials carefully you will see that one of them explain the naming system of texture files. PFBH0 (not letter "O")3 stands for:

P=Player;
F=Female;
B=Body;
H=body model type 8;
03= the texture variation.

Now if your current character is a male. It will hardly change a thing, wouldn't it?

It is pretty simple actually, but i recommend you read as many tutorials as possible. The ones teaching how to texture are very good and some even have pics.
 Darkkender
01-03-2005, 5:56 PM

The template defines the actual character or item in game. Your template defines all of the stats for that particular item. It also determines which texture and model will be used for it as well as what type of item or appearance it is supposed to be.

The texture what you are trying to work on, depending on how you save the texture will either overwrite an existing texture meaning you won't have to change anything in a template GFF file. Or if you bump the digit up in the texture sequence you would have to create a seperate template that makes use of that texture in it's texture variation screen.
 svцsh
01-04-2005, 1:43 AM
Your Modeling questions answered here .. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134510)
Ok make sure you skin is saved at 32 bit no exceptions .. If you have the faulty targa extension manger that photoshop 7 ships with you need it’s fix.

Here is the link for the working .tga extension fix

http://www.adobe.com/support/downlo...544&fileID=1478)

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.
2. Download the archive file that contains the Targa plug-in and
its associated ReadMe file.
3. Use WinZip or PKZIP to extract the contents of the archive file.
4. Locate the Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats folder.
5. Drag the extracted Targa plug-in into the File Formats folder.
6. In the resulting dialog box, click OK to overwrite the existing
Targa plug-in.
7. Launch Photoshop 7.0.

The Targa Extension that ships with ps7 is faulty and will never save any alpha channel info. Because the game treats the file like 24 bit, that won’t fly.

# 1 file must be 32 bit .tga with ONE alpha channel
# 2 the file must be name exactly as the original to override
# 3 Make sure you only have the one extra alpha channel named *Alpha 1*

or the file will never save your alpha channel and the game will treat your image as 24 bit and

Bump mapping ..no everything I have tried to make *real* bump maps doesn't work it appears it’s a hard coded element in the game. It can’t even be added on new custom models. From what I have gathered they used dot3 bump mapping and it requires special plugins or exact levels of RGB in the 3 different core channels. But standard 3d bump mapping in max in grey tones will not work in the game.

hope this helps

svцsh
 Jedianakinsolo
01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I own Paint Shop Pro 8 :p But thanks for clearing up the bump map thing.

Anyhow, I got that all cleared up. I modded two sets of armor, and had definite results. But, the skin is never on there right. It's UV coordinates are all messed up. Do I need to put more than the TGA. file in there? Or, am I not saving at 32 bit?

Thanks for all the help so far. If I can get this armor up and working, I'll make a template for it and upload it.
Page: 1 of 1