Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Problem with Joystick

Page: 1 of 1
 logg
01-03-2005, 3:57 AM
Hi, how can I get a Joystick working with JA???

I'm having the Saitek Joystick: CYBORG EVO

cu logg
 Neverhoodian
01-03-2005, 9:34 AM
Joystick?! Why on earth are you using a joystick?! Try playing with a mouse and keyboard. Trust me, with practice you'll have much better control.

Have you tried updating to the 1.01 patch? I know it fixed some force feedback issues. Just an idea, as I honestly don't really know that much about calibrating certain types of joysticks.
 logg
01-03-2005, 9:41 AM
I'm playing JA with keyboard and mouse.
But I wanted to try it with a Joystick.
I have also installed the 1.01 Patch

cu logg
 Obi_Kwiet
01-03-2005, 1:43 PM
You won't get far.
 logg
01-03-2005, 11:30 PM
OKay. If nobody wants to help me here I have to look somewhere other.

cu logg
 Nokill
01-04-2005, 12:22 AM
i think you can set that at the controls set mouse to joystik or something but you won't have as good control over your player as you do whit a normal mx1000 and a good keybourd
 Khaliban
01-04-2005, 1:22 PM
Ignore the keyboard nazis. They pop up whenever this question is asked. Look in the jaconfig.cfg file and change or add the following lines to this:

seta in_joystick "1"
seta joy_xbutton "0"
seta joy_ybutton "0"

They may not be next to each other.

The game doesn't support rudder, but it can read some rudders as buttons. Mine look like this:

bind JOY18 "+moveleft"
bind JOY19 "+moveright"

I use the joystick in my right hand for movement and the mouse in my left for aiming. It's tough to get used to, like driving stickshift, but I won't use anything else now.
 logg
01-05-2005, 1:06 AM
Thanks for your help.
cu logg
 Radd
01-06-2005, 1:31 AM
Woah, woah, woah. What's with all the dismissive talk of joysticks? You people do realize that there are vehicles in the game, don't you? Including starfighters. Why, there's even entire mods to create starfighter specific maps.

Unfortunately, controlling those vehicles with a mouse and keyboard is as awkward as trying to play a first person shooter with a flightstick, if not moreso.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between using the mouse and keyboard while on foot, and then grab my Saitek when I hop into an X-Wing or a TIE-Fighter. I've had no end of difficulty in getting this to work, though.
 Kurgan
01-11-2005, 6:31 AM
Contact a guy called Lathain Valtiel, he's a big joystick guy. As to playing JK series games with a 'stick it's quite possible, but tricky.

Vagabond played JK & MotS for years with a stick and he was a great player to boot! ; )

So while most of us use keys/mouse, don't be to quick to doubt the possibilities. ; )

'Sides, console gamers have little choice in that regard (well, at least until recently, but I don't know if Xbox users can use keys+mouse for JA online).
Page: 1 of 1