Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Volumetric Shadows

Page: 1 of 1
 ivanmmj
12-30-2004, 11:10 AM
I hear that enabling them in Jedi Outcast makes the game look better. My 9800pro can easily do them without a performance hit, but when I enable them, they are all screwy. You end up seeing shadows through walls, ten feet in the air, etc. What could be causing this?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-01-2005, 11:01 AM
This should be posted in the Technical Support Forum (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=159).

Make sure you have the latest drivers from www.ati.com).
 ivanmmj
01-01-2005, 6:28 PM
Ok. thanks. I will.

As for the drivers, yea. They're the newest ones.
Do you think overclocking had anything to do with it?
 Samuel Dravis
01-05-2005, 12:30 PM
The volumetric shadows always did that to me too. I just thought it was because it is an unsupported feature and the devs didn't spend the time to make it work.
 ivanmmj
01-05-2005, 8:16 PM
Yea, that's the conclusion I came to, also. :)
 CaptainRAVE
01-12-2005, 6:08 AM
They never worked well at all. They looked pretty good on the ground, but looked pretty crappy on character models. And they did strange things like going through walls. Certainly made it easier to judge how many bad guys were in the next room. Best to leave them off.
 Samuel Dravis
01-12-2005, 8:11 AM
Whoa, haven't seen you in a while. Having a good time at the university? :)
 CaptainRAVE
01-12-2005, 8:37 AM
yea, its awsome! Revising at the moment, so been coming on the forums inbetween.
 Crow_Nest
01-18-2005, 5:25 AM
There is absoultly nothing wrong with the shadows. Voldumtric Shadows are supposed to be like that, if you play JA, its the same thing too. But voldumtric doesnt seem to appear in cutscenes and they just appear as simple shadow. If it does bothers you then use cg_shadows 3 to give you projected shadows, which is better for FPS, but not as good as voldumtric.
 shukrallah
02-16-2005, 5:11 PM
They always looked fine to me. They just ate up FPS.. I would go from 50 to 20 right away.
Page: 1 of 1